PDA

View Full Version : Big Bull Harvest in the West Koot. GOS

kennyj
01-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Was there as many monsters harvested in the West kootneys GOS as some people predicted?
kenny

deeks1989
01-01-2011, 06:08 PM
I was just chatting with Larry Hill our west kootenay Boone and Crockett scorer....He said he figures 400 bulls were taken in this new open GOS. I know of one monster taken off the bombi summit that some say will reach 400". Also a few other elk I know of were 320-345 I am sure there were a lot more though.

BlacktailStalker
01-01-2011, 06:30 PM
400 bulls ?
I highly doubt that.
That would basically mean every legal 6 pt bull was shot.Was there one standing behind every tree ? :lol:

Trapper
01-01-2011, 07:11 PM
I know of one bull that goes just over the 400 mark for sure i believe Larry Hill scored him.The hunter is from Cranbrook

Devilbear
01-01-2011, 07:27 PM
I was told by a forester working out of Fruitvale and who has lived in the area for years, working in the bush, that from about Slamo to the border there were about 70 bulls shot. From that, I would extrapolate about 200 from the entire region, perhaps fewer; I doubt that 400 were shot, but, there may well have been more than I think.

If, the kill WAS that high, I would expect a far greater local resistance to a GOS this coming season and those in favour of such a season, as I absolutely am and always have been, should prepare now to fight to keep it. There is many an newcomer in the Kootenays who presumes that living there gives him the "right" to tell people like me, who live in Vancouver, that we are not welcome to hunt there..........that NDP creature Atamanenko is an example, barf, puke, hurl!

01-01-2011, 07:30 PM
If 400 bulls were shot (I highly doubt it), that would indicate that there are a hell of a lot of elk in the WK, and that would support the continued GOS.

KevinB
01-01-2011, 07:45 PM
I have heard the same rumor, 400 bulls in the GOS. Had a hard time believing it then, having a hard time now.

deeks1989
01-01-2011, 07:49 PM
I know of one bull that goes just over the 400 mark for sure i believe Larry Hill scored him.The hunter is from Cranbrook

Yea that's the one.:wink:

Gunner
01-01-2011, 07:58 PM
I have heard the same rumor, 400 bulls in the GOS. Had a hard time believing it then, having a hard time now.Yeah, problem is rumours are like backsides,everybody has one. Have to wait and see what MOE says. Gunner

deeks1989
01-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Yeah, problem is rumours are like backsides,everybody has one. Have to wait and see what MOE says. Gunner

exactly...I second that

Whonnock Boy
01-01-2011, 08:17 PM
I heard there was 800 bulls shot. All scored over 350. There was even a Siamese bull shot by a 80 year old blind man that scored over 800 inches. It was a 8X10X9X7. If that does not give you an indication of how many bulls are roaming the hillsides in the WK I don't know what does. :)

bayou
01-01-2011, 08:18 PM
If there was no compulsary inspection or reporting for the WK season this year how is any realitivly accurate numbers going to be known.

2x4x16
01-01-2011, 08:28 PM
I heard there was 800 bulls shot. All scored over 350. There was even a Siamese bull shot by a 80 year old blind man that scored over 800 inches. It was a 8X10X9X7. If that does not give you an indication of how many bulls are roaming the hillsides in the WK I don't know what does. :)

I love this reply so true.

Ddog
01-01-2011, 09:01 PM
the actual count will never be known, i know the success rate was fairly high for good bulls, I personally seen several bulls that scored over 340, never seen the one over 400 but sure as flies on shit we all know of that one.
the biggest one i had in my hands went 370 green.

Gunner
01-01-2011, 09:20 PM
I'm pretty sure that MOE will have a better idea of the total 6 point harvest than the boys at the local watering hole or the guys at the barber shop.:mrgreen: I'll be expecting to hear that there are no 6 points left. Gunner

mark
01-01-2011, 09:26 PM
I'm pretty sure that MOE will have a better idea of the total 6 point harvest than the boys at the local watering hole or the guys at the barber shop.:mrgreen: I'll be expecting to hear that there are no 6 points left. Gunner

Even if there were no 6 points left in the WK.....there would be a pile of new ones for next season!
Thats the beauty of the 6 point season, cant damage the herd!

I spent a week hunting a (less busy) area of the west koots, lots of hunters, not even a rumor of a bull taken!

400 sounds like alot to me! Nice round number too????

yama49
01-01-2011, 09:38 PM
I saw a pic of a WK bull thats 400 3/8 supposedly, its goes over 375 forsure.

lorneparker1
01-01-2011, 09:53 PM
There was even a Siamese bull shot by a 80 year old blind man that scored over 800 inches. It was a 8X10X9X7. :)

Thats pretty funny, i don't care who you are!

Lorne

ibehuntin
01-02-2011, 12:49 AM
My taxidermist in Cranbrook told me he had a WK bull brought in this year that will be very very close to the 400" mark. I didn't see it but I don't think he was BSing.

leadpillproductions
01-02-2011, 01:44 AM
400 bull would be nice , rumour up here chetwynd we had one go close to 400

hunter1947
01-02-2011, 03:42 AM
If there where 400 bulls taken out of region 8 WOW with the regs set for 2011 this region will get hammered hard for bull again how much can the region take is my question ????..

MattB
01-02-2011, 09:11 AM
If there where 400 bulls taken out of region 8 WOW with the regs set for 2011 this region will get hammered hard for bull again how much can the region take is my question ????..

We're talkin region 4 here. Region 8 had something like 54 bulls reported. Although I know there were at least another 7 in addition to that that never got insepected. I have no idea why someone wouldn't do something that's so simple and required to do!

hunter1947
01-02-2011, 09:20 AM
We're talkin region 4 here. Region 8 had something like 54 bulls reported. Although I know there were at least another 7 in addition to that that never got insepected. I have no idea why someone wouldn't do something that's so simple and required to do!

What I see here its all about the WK Region 8 :confused:.

MattB
01-02-2011, 09:42 AM
West Koots is region 4.

oclarkii
01-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Since there were no CI's done, the ministry's going to have no idea what the harvest was - barroom bs is the best were're goin to get.
The face that there were no inspections done seems to say that they're not concerned about the harvest, or about the age classes that are getting killed. Seems to me that they're just letting it happen and saying good luck to the elk.

yama49
01-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Since there were no CI's done, the ministry's going to have no idea what the harvest was - barroom bs is the best were're goin to get.
The face that there were no inspections done seems to say that they're not concerned about the harvest, or about the age classes that are getting killed. Seems to me that they're just letting it happen and saying good luck to the elk.

I disagre, what it means to me, is that WK, can substain a gos 6 point season.

kootenay redneck
01-02-2011, 10:26 AM
well if everyone and there dog likes hunting trophy elk here cause that is what it boils down to shooting the biggest elk and it appears this area can handle all the pressure from everyone coming to hunt a trophy 6 point wk elk. than the fish chips can take a real hard look at the east kootenay throw out the 1100m cow elk restriction and open it for 3 point or better it all cash cow train for the government any how it brings money into the area and thats why the leh draw is going up to 10 bucks a tag hahaha

oclarkii
01-02-2011, 10:50 AM
I disagre, what it means to me, is that WK, can substain a gos 6 point season.

They have no idea whether the area can or can't support a season yet, and no idea about the actual harvest without CI's - thats' my point.

ARC
01-02-2011, 11:02 AM
I am curious to see how the shed hunters do this spring. There are a few guys I know that typically clean up on elk sheds in the area. I wonder how many fresh 6 point antlers they will pick up in 2011 as compared to past years.

01-02-2011, 11:09 AM
I live in 4-18, and there's more elk sign on my property this winter than any other year. I fully support the GOS.

J_T
01-02-2011, 11:15 AM

Hmm, not sure about your comment here. Just letting it "happen" would suggest a reactive approach to wildlife management. Opening the WK is reactive only in so much as it's reacting to the right principles of wildlife management. The opening of the elk in the WK comes on the heels of extensive research and strategic planning, before a season was created and an acceptable season established.

From my perspective, opening the WK elk was well planned and I don't think there are any shocking surprises. We knew it would be heavily hunted, we knew there would be big bulls taken, we know it doesn't have a devastating impact on elk populations, we know it's sustainable. This has been a very proactively managed hunting opportunity.

01-02-2011, 05:26 PM
They have no idea whether the area can or can't support a season yet, and no idea about the actual harvest without CI's - thats' my point.

This question was asked at several meetings I attended and F&W did pre-season composition surveys of mule deer and moose, and a complete inventory of elk in the WK prior to the 2010 hunting seasons.. This will provide baseline data to judge the impacts of the new regulations as they will be doing follow-up surveys for the next three years to monitor the trends and ratios. They feel their monitoring program data will exceed the data from CIs significantly in usefulness.

Their answer re CIs was: simply too expensive at $25.00 per inspection.
They also said CR delivered inaccurate data, and questionnaire data arrives in region too late.

So, in other words it doesn't sound like the actual number of elk killed is really an important number to know, the important number is the bull/cow ratio and what amount of changes there is to that ratio.

GoatGuy
01-02-2011, 05:32 PM

Why would we waste money on CIs for a fail-safe season?

GoatGuy
01-02-2011, 05:42 PM
He said he figures 400 bulls were taken in this new open GOS.

Heard there's a new census method in the WK. Butcher shops, pick-up truck, hotel and bar parking lot counts. Sounds like cutting-edge stuff - good science for sure.

Kody94
01-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Heard there's a new census method in the WK. Butcher shops, pick-up truck, hotel and bar parking lot counts. Sounds like cutting-edge stuff - good science for sure.

lol. That census information is also enhanced by the newest technology available for supposition, conjecture and good ol' rumour mongering....the intraweb!

GoatGuy
01-02-2011, 05:56 PM
lol. That census information is also enhanced by the newest technology available for supposition, conjecture and good ol' rumour mongering....the intraweb!

Was thinking maybe there might be a bit of an issue with the new method.

Many people who hunt in the EK actually travel through the WK on their way back home with 'elk and antlers' in the truck. Wonder how they 'account' for that?

Elk sightings in trucks X 8.5 - 1 = WK elk harvested by 'out of towners' where 1 is the number of elk harvested in the EK. :mrgreen:

Kody94
01-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Was thinking maybe there might be a bit of an issue with the new method.

Many people who hunt in the EK actually travel through the WK on their way back home with 'elk and antlers' in the truck. Wonder how they 'account' for that?

Elk sightings in trucks X 8.5 - 1 = WK elk harvested by 'out of towners' where 1 is the number of elk harvested in the EK. :mrgreen:

lol. Your "sightabilty factor" seems like it should be in the ballpark. Especially when you consider the number of folks that:
a) were extremely happy to finally live the dream and actually hunt elk in the WK during their hunting lifetime
b) really loved how few hunting camps there were in the EK this year, and/or
c) just like to get under the skin of the few vocal WK NIMBYites.

blackbart
01-02-2011, 06:06 PM
I do not know Larry Hill, but my guess is he was referring to more than one 400" bulls being taken. This is different than 400 bulls being taken.

Much too subtle a difference for more than two HBC members to pick up on.

BillyBull
01-02-2011, 06:18 PM
If the bull count was near 400 then every camp should have had meat hanging... just seems to big a number. Rather believe there were more than a couple 400 scoring bulls.

Coast mountain guy
01-02-2011, 07:59 PM
I heard the same rumor of a high kill count from a relative in cranbrook. A week later I was shown pics of a 370" bull from the east kootenays. I guess a ghost came out of the shadows too long.

Kody94
01-02-2011, 08:02 PM
I heard the same rumor of a high kill count from a relative in cranbrook. A week later I was shown pics of a 370" bull from the east kootenays. I guess a ghost came out of the shadows too long.

I know of a high 360's bull from the EK this year...probably the same one you saw. Pretty darn nice bull for a 6 pt GOS area. ;)

bighornbob
01-02-2011, 10:48 PM
I like how everybody is worried about all the big elk in the West Koots being killed and guys worried about all the years of hard work making a trophy management area going down the crapper.

I just looked through the new BC record book and over the last 8 years all the big elk are coming out region 7. S**t I would even bet the East koots as as many elk in the book the last 8 years as the west koots did.

But for real big elk (350+) region 7 is where its at.

BHB

leadpillproductions
01-02-2011, 10:49 PM
I like how everybody is worried about all the big elk in the West Koots being killed and guys worried about all the years of hard work making a trophy management area going down the crapper.

I just looked through the new BC record book and over the last 8 years all the big elk are coming out region 7. S**t I would even bet the East koots as as many elk in the book the last 8 years as the west koots did.

BHB
NOPE NO BIG BULLS UP HERE BIG WINTER KILL LOL

coach
01-02-2011, 10:52 PM

BHB

Do you mean the region that gives out 1500 or so antlerless elk LEH's every year?

Orangethunder
01-02-2011, 11:12 PM
I shot at 400 bulls there this year but missed almost half of those shots. I recovered only a third of the other bulls but released half of those cause they green scored less than 400. It was a super exciting weekend.

deeks1989
01-02-2011, 11:14 PM
I do not know Larry Hill, but my guess is he was referring to more than one 400" bulls being taken. This is different than 400 bulls being taken.

Much too subtle a difference for more than two HBC members to pick up on.

I am not getting the 400" messed up with the 400 bulls he figured were taken.

BCrams
01-02-2011, 11:23 PM

BHB

Bet a few eyes brows are being raised by those pouring over the elk entries from Region 7.

leadpillproductions
01-02-2011, 11:58 PM
There is a lot of nice elk up here but not that easy to hunt . Still have to find a good spot with no one around can be tough , ive never seen a 330 bull up here there here just not around every tree

hunter1947
01-03-2011, 03:52 AM
Where does the WK start on the east side and where do they finish on the west side what land mark ??? :confused:.

Devilbear
01-03-2011, 06:01 AM
I usually consider from Christina Lake to Creston to be the W-E boundaries of the West Kootenays and from Revelstoke down to Nelway-Patterson the N-S ones. These largely correspond with the Game Management Areas and Regional Districts.

milroy
01-03-2011, 08:39 AM
oclarkii, hmmm......... a guy who's handle is a fish talking about elk ? oclarkii, I venture to guess you wouldn't know how to shoot a bull elk if it came up and shook your fin.......... better stay with mule deer that way you will still have a couple of packers.

bearass
01-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Where does the WK start on the east side and where do they finish on the west side what land mark ??? :confused:.

Pretty much the Purcell mt range,would be the divider,of the east and west side. Where region 4 meets region 8 would be the end of the west koots.

Craven200
01-03-2011, 11:29 AM
For # of bulls harvested, a number will come out, yes a guestimate, but the number will be based on meat cutting records, hunter questionaires, local knowledge etc. Local clubs are doing thier best to have a better than "rumour" number to discuss with MOE.
It will be 300+ bulls for sure. There are easily 150 WK locals (Trail to Nakusp) that shot bulls. Lots of EK hunters did well and several bulls went west to the Okanagan and lower mainland. Giving non locals a ratio equal to that of locals (ie 1 to1, you get 300 bulls harvested. This number could still reach 400. FYI, the biggest bulls were shot by NON WK residents too!!
I have personally seen several large bulls this winter, bulls that would score over 340. MU 4-18 has had a GOS for years and continues to produce big bulls every year. The WK will sustain a 6 point GOS, but the harvest rate will go down and eventually level off.

kootenayelkslayer
01-03-2011, 01:25 PM
FYI, the biggest bulls were shot by NON WK residents too!!

Oh ya?? How is it that you come to that conclusion??

Rubicon500
01-03-2011, 01:39 PM
I know of a 408" WK monster being whacked by a Kelowna resident. Its a monster

Jagermeister
01-03-2011, 02:04 PM
We have 9261 members on this forum. I would suspect that 20%, +/- a few do not participate, that leaves about 7500 that do.

Out of the 7500, surely there are a few members that hunted the WK Bull Elk GOS. So, to those members, what is your sucess story?

I know that some will think that if I tell about getting this big bull, everyone and his dog will be over next fall. That may come to pass or not.

Let's suppose that there were 35 members that hunted the GOS. Let us say that 9 came up empty. That means that 75% were successful. So, extrapolating that, it would then seem like a very high sucess ratio and a pretty hard hit on the bull elk population.

Without further ado, pony up your past years hunting experience for WK GOS Bull Elk, successful or not.

Kody94
01-03-2011, 02:11 PM
We have 9261 members on this forum. I would suspect that 20%, +/- a few do not participate, that leaves about 7500 that do.

Out of the 7500, surely there are a few members that hunted the WK Bull Elk GOS. So, to those members, what is your sucess story?

I know that some will think that if I tell about getting this big bull, everyone and his dog will be over next fall. That may come to pass or not.

Let's suppose that there were 35 members that hunted the GOS. Let us say that 9 came up empty. That means that 75% were successful. So, extrapolating that, it would then seem like a very high sucess ratio and a pretty hard hit on the bull elk population.

Without further ado, pony up your past years hunting experience for WK GOS Bull Elk, successful or not.

I heard that all 7500 were successful. ;) lol

Seriously though...the one flaw in your logic above, is that the success rate has anything to do with a true "impact" to the bull elk population.

Hunter success does not equate to the percentage of 6 pt elk that were harvested relative to the total population of 6 point elk.

Second, elk are not born with 6 or more points in the WK. There are lots of bull elk that were not legal to harvest, many of which will be 6 pts next year.

Last, even if 100% of the 6pts were killed this year, that does not equate to a negative impact to the bull elk population from a sustainability point of view.

Cheers!

BCrams
01-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Last, even if 100% of the 6pts were killed this year, that does not equate to a negative impact to the bull elk population from a sustainability point of view.

Cheers!

There's a few folks out there that honestly believe it was a slaughter and all legal bulls were shot in the West Koots.

Pretty comical really.

yama49
01-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Our group of 5 went 0/5, we went last 4 days of the season. We seen one nice legal bull, but no shots fired.

kootenayelkslayer
01-03-2011, 04:16 PM
There's a few folks out there that honestly believe it was a slaughter and all legal bulls were shot in the West Koots.

Pretty comical really.

Plus all of the trophy genetics have been shot out now too ;)

bugler
01-03-2011, 04:50 PM
I heard of one group from Cranbrook went over and went 8 for 9 on bulls 320 and over. That is second hand news (third to you) so may be a bit off but it is what I heard.

There will always be big bulls growing in the WK but I believe it will become like any other place to hunt elk in BC and the pressure will level off after a couple of years.

Mikey Rafiki
01-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Mandatory reporting and inspection of all 6 point sheds found in the WK's...

Seriously though, I know of one bull taken from there that grossed about 380 and it was the guys first elk. Heard of a couple others 300+. I know a lot of people that went running over there after the big one was shot and all of them wished they had stayed in the EK's cause they came back with an empty truck. I Don't have enough free time to invest in learnin' that ground when after 10 years I feel like I have just begun to scratch the surface over here.

I just hope this don't get ugly.

J_T
01-03-2011, 04:58 PM
I heard of one group from Cranbrook went over and went 8 for 9 on bulls 320 and over. That is second hand news (third to you) so may be a bit off but it is what I heard.

There will always be big bulls growing in the WK but I believe it will become like any other place to hunt elk in BC and the pressure will level off after a couple of years.
I took a look at some of those. They are something. I think one scores 395 and they had 2 over 375 and still more over 350.

mark
01-03-2011, 09:24 PM
I also spent a week over there, we had prescouted the area, had bulls on t-cams etc... had 2 buddies along, only 1 bull seen, no shots fired!

We all got our elk in places we know well, in region 8.

ChilliwackWinchester
01-03-2011, 10:06 PM
What percentage of a herd are typically 6 point or better bulls? 15% to 20% maybe?... (I'm sure that # is way high)

In any event, the more that were taken only speaks to the overall size of the herd. If 400 were taken, that would mean the herd is at least 2000... and that is if there was a 100% kill off which is HIGHLY unlikely. The more bulls taken the better the news is regarding the overall herd size. Unless of course it is over the carrying capacity and that would be very bad news if we get the weather that is forecasted this winter.

Fisher-Dude
01-03-2011, 10:58 PM
What percentage of a herd are typically 6 point or better bulls? 15% to 20% maybe?... (I'm sure that # is way high)

In any event, the more that were taken only speaks to the overall size of the herd. If 400 were taken, that would mean the herd is at least 2000... and that is if there was a 100% kill off which is HIGHLY unlikely. The more bulls taken the better the news is regarding the overall herd size. Unless of course it is over the carrying capacity and that would be very bad news if we get the weather that is forecasted this winter.

Maybe 20% are bulls in a typical herd, and then only some will be 6s. So, the percentage of the overall herd that is 6 points is lower than 15 - 20%.

The WK elk herd has been extensively surveyed, and the latest figures indicate a robust herd of 5,000 elk. Compare that to the relatively small 770 elk herd in region 8 that has sustained a GOS bull season (3 point for many years, then 6 point since the late 1990s) for decades. :wink:

The 6 point GOS in the WK is a fail safe season in that the overall herd size will never be impacted by hunting. There is a very adequate sperm supply and continued recruitment of younger bulls to 6 points every year.

palmer
01-03-2011, 11:20 PM
The Elk herds in the WK will do fine. The real question is will you be able to get a shot at a real monster like when you were lucky enough to draw an LEH. To keep it on LEH to produce monster Bulls is fine if we manage for trophys, but to increase hunter numbers as everybody wants you need areas for people to hunt. The open season still gives bulls a chance to grow and allows for more hunter numbers. When you may get drawn once in a lifetime, is that going to produce large hunter numbers ? the real job now is to get the MOE to match up season dates across regions to spread out pressure.

sawmill
01-04-2011, 09:31 AM
It`s also going to depend on the winter we get ,there is a lot more snow around here than I`ve seen in quite a few years and we are in for a lot more.Winter kill is a bitch.Remember 1998.

troutseeker
01-04-2011, 09:47 AM
I know of a 408" WK monster being whacked by a Kelowna resident. Its a monster

This is misinformation from the Kelowna resident. He actually shot this elk very near Kelowna, but said it was from the WK to keep his spot a secret...

Too bad his wife spilt the beans, she described where and how she dropped him off to hike into his spot. I know exactly where I am going next season, lol.:-D

budismyhorse
01-04-2011, 10:04 AM
over 400 bulls?

Seems high......especially when guys are all talking about the same handfull of large bulls that were shot.

I swear the stories of the gang from Cranbrook or Sparwood get bigger each time......now its 8/9.....grain of salt taken. Doesn't seem plausable that 9 guys would hunt together like that........if people are going to lump together groups.......why not include a pile of guys from Cranbrook that were skunked?????

so its more like 8 out of 21.

Either way, just more room for the herd bulls of next year on the winter range!

ChilliwackWinchester
01-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Too bad his wife spilt the beans, she described where and how she dropped him off to hike into his spot. I know exactly where I am going next season, lol.:-D

That's a great idea... there's probably hundreds of 408's in that spot.

bigben
01-04-2011, 12:10 PM
BOYS BOYS BOYS................... being a member of the east kootenay redneck hunting faternity ............................ there are 10 bulls that scored over the 300 mark that have been harvested by people in cranbrooK that I know of and the big one you guys all seem to be zoned in on did not score 400 it scored 388 and here are the others 339 , 307, 370, 350, 327 ,313 ,330, 380 nontypical, 385 non typical all rough scored nothing official........... I have held these all in my hands.............. I do have three of the pictures of the elk and I could get the others if I pushed the issue but since they are friends of mine I will respect their privacy and leave things alone........... on the other side of the equation I do agree with the fact that there was not a census of any kind unless they are going to send out questionairres to find out what kind of harvest we did have.................. and just like any coffee shop talk I perfer to see facts on paper before I make up my opinion .....................Have a nice day

Craven200
01-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Oh ya?? How is it that you come to that conclusion??
Not trying to cause trouble, I've done my homework. Believe it or not it is your choice.

DUTCHY
01-04-2011, 01:03 PM
I have read this post from front to back and side to side and honestly I wasn't going to reply because I find it comical at times, but this is why rumours start and this is why misinformation is so common in the hunting community. I am from the West Kootenay (Fruitvale to be exact) and I experienced the GOS first hand. First of all I would like to say bigben has hit the nail on the head. Secondly, 400 6 point or better bulls might be a high number but I would bet that the actual harvest isn't very far off that number. Thirdly, even if it was 400+ bulls harvested in the WK, I can tell you that there are a shit pile more bulls left out there in the woods. Fourthly, Larry Hill is probably the most respected B&C Scorer in the area and is in the "know" and if he actually stated that the number is close to 400, then take his word on it. Yes, the quality and age structures of the bulls will likely go down over time; yes, the bull to cow ratio will not be what it once was; yes, it was busy as hell over here and there were guys triping all over each other, but does that impact the WK elk herd from a population level or is it more of a nuisance for the guy who wants to kill a monster bull in the WK. Lastly, our MoE DOES NOT CARE HOW MANY BULLS WERE KILLED IN THE WK IN 2010! They knew that big bulls would be killed and they also predicted that the harvest could be high, but they knew that the herd could support it. I don't even think it is about the $25 for the compulsory inspection, the Okanagan (region 8) requires compulsory inspection for elk harvested in that region............WHY?

Stone Sheep Steve
01-04-2011, 01:13 PM
I don't even think it is about the $25 for the compulsory inspection, the Okanagan (region 8) requires compulsory inspection for elk harvested in that region............WHY?

That's a very good question. I wonder how the harvest numbers:population ratio compare in the MU's where the season opens on Sept 10th vs the areas the open on Sept 25th??? ....and if the different starting dates are even warranted??
Would be great to eventually get all the seasons lined up in the southern half of the province to spread out the pressure.

Sorry....bit of a hijack.

SSS

aggiehunter
01-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Bugler...you hit the head on the nail..."after awhile it will be like hunting Elk anywhere in B.C."...so true.

Fisher-Dude
01-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Bugler...you hit the head on the nail..."after awhile it will be like hunting Elk anywhere in B.C."...so true.

That's great! BC has among the best elk hunting in North America! Thank God we're able to offer more opportunity to BC's hunters, instead of trying to stockpile game for an elite few like they do in Europe.

And, we do what's right for the health of the elk herd, by harvesting where science says it's sustainable, rather than trying to grow some trophy animals for rich foreigners at the expense of herd health, as was the practice in the WK before the GOS.

kootenayelkslayer
01-05-2011, 12:12 AM
And, we do what's right for the health of the elk herd, by harvesting where science says it's sustainable, rather than trying to grow some trophy animals for rich foreigners at the expense of herd health, as was the practice in the WK before the GOS.

Except not even the 'rich foreigners' could get at those trophy elk, no outfitters in the area. They were for lucky lottery winners only. Now they're for anyone with hiking boots and a hoochie mama.

GoatGuy
01-05-2011, 04:20 AM

What currently makes the WK any different than anywhere else in BC?

hunter1947
01-05-2011, 05:14 AM
I know one thing I will hunt the WK for elk this year the hunt will back away from the roads as far as I can go and it might be on the 10th of Sept ,I might have a better chance on getting my dream bull :wink: ,I am sure deeks1989 will hook up with me for this hunt he lives right there..

I am thinking of taking my boat as well ????.

Devilbear
01-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Except not even the 'rich foreigners' could get at those trophy elk, no outfitters in the area. They were for lucky lottery winners only. Now they're for anyone with hiking boots and a hoochie mama.

Yup, it is about time and, with an assistance programme for landowners/farmers to encourage them to accept Elk using their farmland as habitat when necessary, there will be GOOD hunting for real trophy bulls in the WK for the forseeable future.

It will never compare to the ease of getting a bull in the Muskwa or other NE BC areas, but, I have seen some huge bulls in the WK and the country gives them the advantage over we mere humans.

MattB
01-05-2011, 07:56 AM
I know one thing I will hunt the WK for elk this year the hunt will back away from the roads as far as I can go and it might be on the 10th of Sept ,I might have a better chance on getting my dream bull :wink: ,I am sure deeks1989 will hook up with me for this hunt he lives right there..

I am thinking of taking my boat as well ????.

Don't think the new west koots elk season opens until Oct. 1sts. Maybe it opens earlier in Deeks neck of the woods...

bcbrez
01-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Don't think the new west koots elk season opens until Oct. 1sts. Maybe it opens earlier in Deeks neck of the woods...

No it doesn't open here till Oct 1st except for a few areas that have the early bow season. (Sept 1-9)

hunter1947
01-05-2011, 08:48 AM

Don't matter when it opens in the west if I don't find a 340+ bull here in the Ek it walks If I don't find one by the first of Oct in the EK then I will be there in the WK looking for that 340+ bull the first of Oct :wink:

I am only a stone throw away from the WK from here..