PDA

View Full Version : Elaho River Grizzly

lapadat
06-15-2006, 07:00 PM
On Monday/Tuesday Tarpman and I were finally able to get up the Elaho Valley to do some hiking and scouting as neither of us had been down there before. I had read a Management Plan for the area, which had stated that the valley had 70-100 Moose and a number of Grizzlies. My skepticism was null and void when we busted a bull at 30 yards and went on to see another bull and a cow.

On the way down the valley Monday evening we came around a corner and out on a gravel bar at about 150 yards was a Grizzly sow and 2 yr old cub. When we first saw her, she was in a sitting position with her mouth stretched open and was making some woofing and grunting sounds. The cub was agitated and was walking up and down the bar. After about 5 minutes of this behavior, she began walking towards the cub and then suddenly began chasing it back into the trees about 200 yards away. I caught the chase on the video feature on my camera (if anyone knows how to upload it, let me know).

My initial thoughts were that the sow was coming into estrus and was serving the cub an eviction notice. :)

Anyway, it was a great trip and my first experience with a Grizzly in the field....from across a river and in the safety of my truck!

Matt

PS: The picture was taken through my spotter at 15X with my Canon

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_483.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2788&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_480.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2787&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

slyfox
06-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Cool i have seen moose and elk there but grizz that new to me.

mainland hunter
06-15-2006, 07:30 PM
nice pic through the spotting scope,

Maxx
06-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Great pic, thanks for sharing,

30-06
06-15-2006, 08:04 PM
thats a nice bear id love to see a grizzly

Steeleco
06-16-2006, 01:40 AM
The first bears I ever saw in the bush were a Sow and 2 cubs, on the top of the Huley pass, Not too far as a bear goes!! Last spring we were up that way looking for bears, the amount of moose scat blew us away, never saw any moose but you knew they were there. Great pics.

MB_Boy
06-16-2006, 09:37 AM
I have heard that they were in the valley......but now you have confirmed it. Someone also told me that there are 'unconfirmed' reports that they are in the top of Indian Arm where the Indian River runs in. I have camped in there numerous times and still yet to see one.....but lots of blackies running around.

ryanb
06-16-2006, 10:27 AM
There are quite a few Grizzlies in the Ashlu, Elaho, and even down into the Squamish river valleys. Seen their sign a bunch of times, but never actually seen one.

Hunter's Dad
06-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Lapadat,

What makes you think the bear on the left was a female?

onlygotagrousesofar
06-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Here is a Pemberton moose shed.
Hope it works....
mooseshed1.jpg

Trevor

lapadat
06-16-2006, 09:45 PM
I assumed it was a sow because this is about the right time for them to come into estrus and I thought that the other bear was a 2 yr old that was being let loose.

However, I spoke with a Bio this morning and after looking at my pics he figured that it was a boar and a sow getting some action, Grizz style. :)

Matt

onlygotagrousesofar
06-16-2006, 10:22 PM
Ok.
This ought to do it......

Moose in them thar hills'n area!

talver
06-16-2006, 11:08 PM
there is a ton of moose in that valley just checkout some of the side roads they must winter in there seen tons of old droppings

Hunter's Dad
06-17-2006, 06:45 AM
The face kind of gives it away. Broad nose with the mucle line down the middle and the ears on the side... , a boar would have been my guess as well.

Byson
06-18-2006, 10:39 PM
there is a ton of moose in that valley just checkout some of the side roads they must winter in there seen tons of old droppings I wouldnt say there are tons of moose in the Elaho i have seen them at 54mile they are in the backend I use to Log for Elaho logging and Interfor Grizzly bears for sure use to see a nice one at 30mile along side the river intill some chinaman decided to kill it he got busted good on him too. i never seen any grizzly past 18mile upper squamish, seen Elkfor the first at the pilchuk bridge which is 16 mile i couldn't believe it. years back going back to my dads prime there use to be a imature bull season but thats in the past and dought if we will ever see it again bear and the elk too, speaking of elk they transplanted some in the Indian Arm last winter

talver
06-18-2006, 11:33 PM
my bad there what i was trying to say is it looked like there was a ton of moose in the back end of the valley because of all the sign {ie droppings and tracks }

Fred
06-19-2006, 08:39 AM
I would like to come to Talvers defence here. He said "a ton of Moose" and that could mean as few as 3 or 4 animals. So, he could well be right! ;) :biggrin: Fred

death-junky
06-19-2006, 09:27 AM
wow what a great pic, I never knew you could take a pic like that throught a spoting scope.
ttyal
Riley

lip_ripper00
06-19-2006, 11:06 AM
I speaking of elk they transplanted some in the Indian Arm last winterthis I had not heard. Where could I get more information?

Byson
06-19-2006, 06:56 PM
this I had not heard. Where could I get more information? I was talking to a CO in the eagle run coffee shop in squamish, tried to go to norton lake 2weeks ago still to much snow

onlygotagrousesofar
06-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Hey. I just checked out the google ad at the top of the page "Love us, not eat us". It is what it looks like. It's a political/vegan add for some organization.
I didn't read on. Funny though, it's beside a black bear hunting add.

Never thought I'd see that here. But it is google ad space I guess. I read some of it and moved on. Not my cup of tea. Democracy at work.

Trevor