PDA

View Full Version : My first story for HBC

Whonnock Boy
12-31-2010, 06:52 PM
**** Had is officially scored at Huntfest. Non-typical score was 351 and change. Its grossed out at 380 and change! I need to brush up on my scoring **** Frickin' editor... pretty tough to do this lately.

Even before the regulation for 2010 had come out I knew that my annual steelhead, moose trip to Smithers was a no go. Something that I was not very pleased about. I usually plan everything around this trip, but this was planned for me. No getting around it.

The regs came out and to my surprise, and everyone else, an area that I had hunted elk in 95 was going to have a GOS. I spoke with the wife about it. For her it was a no brainer. She always wants elk in the freezer. Over the summer I thought often about this and whether or not I would be participating.

September roles around and I start getting all my gear together. I have not yet decided if, and where I am going. A week before the season was to open my gear is packed and ready. At this point I still have nobody to go with if in fact I am going at all. No biggie. I don't mind hunting by myself. The wife has a problem with it though. I call up an old friend and ask him if he is interested. A few hours later it is in stone. We were leaving two days before it opens to check out some different spots before it opens.

After checking out the areas that I wanted, we settled in at a spot. It was more like the spot picked us. It was kind of like a long weekend at Allouette Lake. If you're not there the day before you are lucky if you get a spot. I think it was the last spot in the valley.

The tent is up and my partner and I are just having a bite to eat before we settle in for the night. Before we left I picked up an extra cow call for him to use. While eating I was showing him how to use it. It was like a monkey humping a football. I was thinking to myself, how hard is it to blow on this thing? Chirp, cheep, cheep, chort. Not long after I heard a squeal. "Did you hear that Brad?" "Hear what". "I think I just heard a bugle". Not long after another. "Did you hear that?" "Nope". Then another squeal and he is closing the distance. We finish up and get in our tent. Just about to zip up and a bugle, it sounded like it was within a 100 yards. "Did you hear that one Brad?" "Yes I heard that one". I laughed.

Opening day I was up at 2:30. I don't know why I could not sleep.  5 o'clock rolls around and Brad is finally up. I tell him my plan and he tells me his. We'll meet up later in the morning back at camp.

I slowly make my way up to where I want to be for day break. Shortly before sun up I make a call with no response. Further in I go and cow call again with no reply. Just as the sun is starting to lighten the sky a bugle breaks the silence of the morning. Ok, here we go. I respond with a cow call. I am thinking to myself, is it an elk or is it another hunter? He pipes up again and it sounds like he is in the same spot. Hmmm…… I decide to push him a bit and close the gap and he bugles again but he is still not getting any closer. I keep pushing forward and then I hear it. The sound of a quad or truck is coming from where I figure the bull is. It stops and not long after I hear a shot. SOB!! I guess it was a bull and a shooter to boot.

I meet up with Brad back at camp and tell him the story. We hop in the truck. I want to get a better idea of the area that we are hunting. We bump into the guys that shot the bull in the morning. A 6 by 3. We find where he shot it and I was within a 100 yards.

Day two I am up early again. Same plan but hopefully with different results. I get a response from a bull. I find a spot to work it. The bull is being vocal but not wanting to advance on me. Patience grasshopper. As I am waiting I hear a quad coming up to where I am. The guy comes up turns around close to where I was and I do not hear from the bull again.

Day three I heard one bugle and that was it. I guess with all the traffic and every guy coming in and blowing on his bugle for 5 minutes and leaving has educated the bulls. Maybe it is time to switch it up. Brad and I pack up in search for another spot. Hopefully with less people but more elk. We had yet to even see an elk let alone a legal one.

We travel around for the afternoon checking out different roads and glassing from vantage points where we could see large amounts of area. We find a spot to camp. The morning comes and goes with nothing to show for it. Not even the sighting of a deer. We decide to head back to where we were in the first place. I say to Brad. "We just have to put our time in, either we are going to do something right or a bull is going to do something wrong".

Day five I switch it up with some still-hunting with the odd cow call in a different little spot.. Not long after I hit the timber I find a nice little trail. I make my way slowly and quietly and then I hear a log break. It must be an elk. I hold tight. Patience grasshopper. I waited for a bit and sound out a cow call. Some more branches break and it sounds like it or they are working away from me. Patiently I sit for what seemed like forever. All the while a squirrel is having a fit up ahead. I wait, and wait. Do I go forward or not? I make my way another 6 or 7 feet and stop. I spottede a face through the trees. Is it a bull or cow? We have a stare down. A head turn confirms that it is a bull. Is it legal? I wait then he moves a bit and turns. I see tips, and lots of them. I am pretty sure he is going to want to go right which will lead him into a nice little shooting lane. I waited, and waited until he finally made a move to the right. Ok, he is going. My gun is up. He stops behind some thicker brush. I wait with gun up. He is taking his time and my rifle is starting to get heavy. I half lower and wait some more. Then like it was in slow motion he makes his way to the right into the shooting lane. One look and I did not even think twice about it. Down he went. I shot high and hit him in the lower neck. Can you say buck fever? I make my way up to him and he is crumpled up like a pretzel against a tree. I would have to say the whole sequence was 35 to 40 minutes. Considering this was the first elk I had seen on the trip and he was a good one, I was pretty happy to say the least.

After the picture taking and the 15 point handshake the work began. By nightfall we had it done. It was a bit of a haul. Rather uneventful except for the wasp nest that we stirred up. We spent a few more days looking for another bull with no luck. That is ok though. He was 567 pounds hanging. Half of which would be plenty for my family and I. I green scored him at 373.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSCN3322.JPG
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSCN3326.JPG
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/P1040338.JPG
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/P1040339.JPG
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/P1040326.JPG

deeks1989
12-31-2010, 06:58 PM
Hey thanks for posting! Awesome bull elk, love the antlers!:wink:

shallowH2O
12-31-2010, 06:59 PM
helluva bull! congrats and thanks for sharing

vortex
12-31-2010, 07:01 PM
Thats a beauty bull! Congrats!

SURGE
12-31-2010, 07:03 PM
hey that's a great bull and a good story,congrats to you and your bud

12-31-2010, 07:05 PM
That is a wicked bull!

Deaddog
12-31-2010, 07:05 PM
great job..thanks for the story was like I was there.. congrats

Blainer
12-31-2010, 07:06 PM
Hell of a good bull!

12-31-2010, 07:09 PM
Dandy !! Bull ! Wow what a trophy, good eats too.

Congrats to you.

CT

Rattler
12-31-2010, 07:12 PM
Nice work! Congrats on a fine bull and welcome to the site.

pnbrock
12-31-2010, 07:14 PM
what an entrance,thats an awesome bull.

BillyBull
12-31-2010, 07:18 PM
Now that's how to join the site... get everyone drooling over that awesome spike bull lol... great story thanks for sharing.

nano
12-31-2010, 07:24 PM
Nice bull, congrats!

kennyj
12-31-2010, 07:45 PM
Awesome elk. Really enjoyed your story.
kenny

Jelvis
12-31-2010, 07:54 PM
That's a skook em bull, huge bull elk nice color antlers with mass and nar lee ..
Won't find any better than that in a life time ..
Jel ( Dats a lotta Bull ) ................................ Un freekin reeeeeeeeal --> really <-- Unreal --><--really-->

Caveman
12-31-2010, 08:35 PM
Beauty Bull, Congrats Man!!!

showtimebc
12-31-2010, 08:43 PM
that is a cranker of a bull elk, congrads!!!!

yama49
12-31-2010, 09:21 PM
great bull, thx for sharing

leadpillproductions
12-31-2010, 09:47 PM
congrads on the bull thanks for the read

mpotzold
12-31-2010, 10:47 PM
Well written & nice photos.
Maybe I’ll befriend “Wayne The Elk Hunter” aka Hunter47 & do some serious elk hunting next fall!

“I spoke with the wife about it. For her it was a no brainer. She always wants elk in the freezer.”

Never hunted or tasted elk meat. According to LT (308 LOVER) my reg. hunting partner –the taste is unbeatable.(he grew up in the Alberta elk country)

jaeger
12-31-2010, 11:16 PM
congrats that is a beauty bull!

killer
01-01-2011, 12:52 AM
Very nice bull ,congrats.

Old Crow
01-01-2011, 01:23 AM
Very nice write up, thx. I've been hunting the east Koots for many years, and you top all our bulls with your FIRST! Now, the problem is trying to beat that!
A very hearty :mrgreen: Greenfaced :mrgreen: congratulations!

hunter1947
01-01-2011, 03:26 AM
For your first story it was a dandy and for the elk you got its a dandy I don't know witch one I liked better the picture of the bull or you story :confused:.

Welcome to the site looking forward seeing more posts from you http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif..

ufishifish2
01-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Awesome story and bull. Thanks for the effort you made to share with the rest of us.

d6dan
01-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Great story and a fantastic 1st bull!.. You've got to love it when things come together.:-D. Congrats!!

mark
01-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Very awesome bull! Good to see ya worked for it! You wont top that one anytime soon!

brno375
01-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Great bull.

Jelvis
01-01-2011, 12:28 PM
I've never seen a bull elk that size in girth alone it's a stud, congratulations on one magnificent bull elk.
Jelly ( Mammoth ) Bull Elk ... where dat? .. The Super Heavy Weight Division .. Muscle bound .. Giant

01-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Great bull! Awesome mass and character.

BCrams
01-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Welcome to the site and what a great bull!

kootenayelkslayer
01-01-2011, 06:31 PM
What a cranker! He's a dream bull for sure, congrats.

Blktail
01-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Lots of character in that bull. Great story.

landphil
01-01-2011, 09:29 PM
I can see why you 'settled' on that one after a few days of nothing!:-D

Whonnock Boy
06-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Edited with official score. :-D

dana
06-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Over 50 inches in deductions??? Is that side to side or did they scored it as a typical and not a nontypical.

Whonnock Boy
06-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Over 50 inches in deductions??? Is that side to side or did they scored it as a typical and not a nontypical.

I asked the guy what the gross score was. He took the non typical score and then added two others to get the gross. If it was typical it would have fallen well below the minimum for typical. Later I asked to get a photo or copy of the score sheet but two of the guys had to leave to get to the ferry, and they had the official sheet. They will be sending me a copy in the mail. I asked a couple times if they were sure that it was correct. 410? Really?????

dana
06-24-2012, 04:41 PM
I guess it would depend on what they called what. The G2's and the G5's have serious side to side issues. The one G5 is probably an extra as it comes off the G4 not the MB. When you get the score sheet, scan it and post it up. Would be interesting what officially gets called what.

RENO
06-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Congrats on the a very nice bull, great story.

ElectricDyck
06-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Cool bull! Well written story!

000BuckJr
06-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Great story!

sapper
06-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Congrats. I can see why you might have had some buck fever on that. Very nice.

hotload
06-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Now thats a great entrance through the door of the HBC world. Cool story and amazing bull, love the euro, throw an earth toned paint on that wall you got it made.............................................. .

Whonnock Boy
07-04-2012, 09:37 PM
I guess it would depend on what they called what. The G2's and the G5's have serious side to side issues. The one G5 is probably an extra as it comes off the G4 not the MB. When you get the score sheet, scan it and post it up. Would be interesting what officially gets called what.

Here you go Dana. Just got it in the mail today. Any thoughts on what it lost waiting almost two years to get it scored?

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g398/whonnockboy/42abb968.jpg?t=1341462007

Moose Guide
07-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Unless I am missing something, I come up with 380 7/8, what a fantastic bull!!!

Whonnock Boy
07-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Unless I am missing something, I come up with 380 7/8, what a fantastic bull!!!

Ok, that is what I was wondering about. The guy that did it added the 345, 29, and 35 to come up with the 410. I am really not familiar with how they add them up to get gross score. What you say makes sense to me too!

Moose Guide
07-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Ok, that is what I was wondering about. The guy that did it added the 345, 29, and 35 to come up with the 410. I am really not familiar with how they add them up to get gross score. What you say makes sense to me too!

Easy mistake to make, all he needed to add was the gross typical score and the non-typical point total. Let me congratulate you on one fantastic elk! In 2010 my bro in-law took a typical that should net 363 but we haven't gotten it officially scored yet.

WKCotts
07-05-2012, 09:33 AM
hell of a bull! lots of character in that rack... you better mount that thing!!

moose2
07-06-2012, 01:08 AM
Great looking bull and a good story congratulations.
Mike