PDA

View Full Version : Sheep Hunting Cloths?????

leadpillproductions
12-30-2010, 08:42 PM
What kind of cloths do you guys use for sheep hunts . Ive been kicking around the idea of sitka gear. Pants and jacket normal ware and also the rain gear

pnbrock
12-30-2010, 08:44 PM
sitka gear seems to be a pain to find right now everywhere i look,

bigwhiteys
12-30-2010, 08:56 PM
What kind of cloths do you guys use for sheep hunts . Ive been kicking around the idea of sitka gear. Pants and jacket normal ware and also the rain gear
Google KUIU it's a new line being created by Jason Hairston (former co-founder of Sitka) and it's a line geared more towards backpack hunters.

Looks promising.

Carl

Johnnybear
12-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Google KUIU it's a new line being created by Jason Hairston (former co-founder of Sitka) and it's a line geared more towards backpack hunters.

Looks promising.

Carl

Just checked it out Carl. I like the "big block" digital pattern. Do you have any more info on them? That camo pattern?

leadpillproductions
12-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Just looked at it not your tipical camo lol . wonder if ther going to come out with different looking camo. Not really found of cow colour lol. Just started to like the sitka colours

BillyBull
12-30-2010, 10:08 PM
If your looking for Sitka gear give the Hermit a PM on this site or try the site sponsor Grouse River they have it on their site.

bigwhiteys
12-30-2010, 11:30 PM
Just checked it out Carl. I like the "big block" digital pattern. Do you have any more info on them? That camo pattern?
If you follow his blog, and look at previous posts Jason gets into detail on materials, final products, prototypes etc..

He is very active on the blog, and will address any questions/concerns directly. I am looking forward to trying some of the gear out when it becomes available this spring.

Carl

bowhunterbruce
12-30-2010, 11:35 PM
sitka gear seems to be a pain to find right now everywhere i look,
try grouse river,they are having a major sale this week on all sitka gear and have a great supply

Johnnybear
12-31-2010, 12:15 AM
If you follow his blog, and look at previous posts Jason gets into detail on materials, final products, prototypes etc..

He is very active on the blog, and will address any questions/concerns directly. I am looking forward to trying some of the gear out when it becomes available this spring.

Carl

Thanks Carl. I'll try reading more of his posts.

LPP it is not a cow pattern all though that might work:-D. The bigger blocks of the digital pattern is probably better at breaking up your outline at farther ranges than the regular stuff. That is my guess at why they came out with this sort of pattern. It makes sense to me.

Everett
12-31-2010, 12:24 AM
Well my own take is the sitka stuff seriosly over priced for what it is mayby I have high standards but having tried the sitka on in the shops I think it way over priced for what I consider sub standard mountain gear.
I will look at this new stuff though as I thought sitka was on the right track just double the price of what its actualy worth.

troutseeker
12-31-2010, 09:13 AM
Mountaineering gear works great! Go fins a store that sells ropes and crampons and they'll have all the clothing you need. Of course, no cool camo...

bruin
12-31-2010, 09:25 AM
I also find Sitka to be way overpriced for what it's worth. I bought a celsius jacket for bowhunting that I use regularly but that's it. I buy all my sheep hunting stuff from the mountaineering stores. I bought my pants for 20 bucks an they're on yr 3. North face, mountain hardware, arcteryx, etc are all good proven brands. I find most of the camo patterns to be very obvious at a distance unless they're in their absolute matching surroundings. All my clothes are a dull green, brown or grey and they work well.

swampthing
12-31-2010, 11:11 AM
If you are set on the sitka gear give hermit a call. I just bought a couple merry xmas to me items and havnt found them cheaper.

RJ
12-31-2010, 11:38 AM
That KUIU stuff looks great. I really like the camo pattern, I think the big and blocky will blend in well with the rocks.

Leadpill, Im following your threads with interest. I figure on starting planning in a few months for an Aug. 2012 Sheep hunt. Good luck on your hunt.

leadpillproductions
12-31-2010, 05:28 PM
That KUIU stuff looks great. I really like the camo pattern, I think the big and blocky will blend in well with the rocks.

Leadpill, Im following your threads with interest. I figure on starting planning in a few months for an Aug. 2012 Sheep hunt. Good luck on your hunt.
You can never be to prepared thats for sure .And good luck on your hunt

kootenayelkslayer
12-31-2010, 06:08 PM
If you're just talking about rain gear, give Mountain Hardware a look. It's not camo, but camo is not really necessary for sheep hunting in my opinion. And if you really want to shell out some money for the absolute best gear out there....Arc'Teryx all the way!!

leadpillproductions
12-31-2010, 06:10 PM
If you're just talking about rain gear, give Mountain Hardware a look. It's not camo, but camo is not really necessary for sheep hunting in my opinion. And if you really want to shell out some money for the absolute best gear out there....Arc'Teryx all the way!!
Im looking for a basic hunting cloths well im hunting sheep , I will have rain gear also

BromBones
12-31-2010, 06:17 PM
The most important thing is layering - there is no one garment that can do-it-all. You can accomplish that without spending a grand on a fancy set of brand name gear.

My clothing usually consists of 2 moisture wicking undershirts (smartwool is my favorite), a grey wool stanfield shirt, a basic fleece jacket, and a lightweight rain jacket (using a North Face HyVent right now). I'll use different combos of that depending on the weather/temperature, and am always comfortable. Wool and fleece are still the best fabrics for hunting IMO. No camo, just natural colors like Bruin mentioned which blend well with the surroundings.

I like to have 2 undershirts because I crank out a ton of heat when hiking, and I sweat alot. If I sit down to glass after hiking hard in cold weather, or have to curl up in my tarp to wait out a storm, I'll swap into the dry undershirt.

For leggings, nothing fancy. I like one pair of smartwool long johns, and some green or brown well-worn Carhartts. They get heavy when wet but they're tough as shit and comfy. I like to butt-scoot downhill when possible and most lightweight hiking pants get ripped to shreds from that, but not the old carhartts. Usually don't bother with rainpants either - I don't care if my legs get wet or cold, they warm up easily enough.:-D

stoneguide
12-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Usually don't bother with rainpants either - I don't care if my legs get wet or cold, they warm up easily enough.:-D

Was with you on your whole post till the above comment... WHAT?.
When out hunting in the mountains ones priority should be keeping warm and dry. A person could be in a world of hurt if you get wet, the weather turns bad and your stuck on a mountain over night.
SG

leadpillproductions
12-31-2010, 06:29 PM
what kind of pants do you guys suggest . I was looking also at north face convertable pants

kootenayelkslayer
12-31-2010, 06:30 PM
Usually don't bother with rainpants either - I don't care if my legs get wet or cold, they warm up easily enough.:-D

You're crazy!

But as BromBones said, lots of layers are key. And maybe pack one really warm garment, like a down vest or jacket in your pack, just in case some rough weather moves in while you're out, or if you have to spend the night out on the mountain.

BromBones
12-31-2010, 07:01 PM
Was with you on your whole post till the above comment... WHAT?.

:mrgreen:

Just never seemed to bother me. I'm not particularly sensitive to cold, especially my legs. Have slept comfortably in nasty weather/wet while other guys are huddled up and shivering. I don't know why, lack of brains maybe??:-D

Used to pack rain pants, but sorta stopped worrying about it after spending some seriously cold nights out and coming out no worse for wear. I almost never wear long johns except to sleep in, so usually I have a dry pair in my pack to put on when needed.

stoneguide
12-31-2010, 07:03 PM
:mrgreen:

Just never seemed to bother me. I'm not particularly sensitive to cold, especially my legs. Have slept comfortably in nasty weather/wet while other guys are huddled up and shivering. I don't know why, lack of brains maybe??:-D

Used to pack rain pants, but sorta stopped worrying about it after spending some seriously cold nights out and coming out no worse for wear. I almost never wear long johns except to sleep in, so usually I have a dry pair in my pack to put on when needed.

Gotcha! Some of us are just soft when it comes to getting cold:?

killman
12-31-2010, 07:07 PM
Lululemon............:mrgreen:

yukon john
12-31-2010, 07:47 PM
what kind of pants do you guys suggest . I was looking also at north face convertable pants

oh yeah NF convertibles are awesome, finally tried them after years of resisting. Best pants on the sheep mountian imo, wrangler jeans are more manly though.....its a choice we all must make

leadpillproductions
12-31-2010, 07:53 PM
i figure i will take two pairs nf convertables with some rain gear . Then the same for shirts 2 pairs wicking type stuff with a fleece light weight pullover/jacket and a rain jacket 4 sets of socks 2 wicking ginch , some type of long johns

RJ
12-31-2010, 08:05 PM
Question for the sheep guys, what are the average temperatures like mid summer?

bigwhiteys
12-31-2010, 08:06 PM
Question for the sheep guys, what are the average temperatures like mid summer?
If you're going north for stones be prepared for beach weather and sub-zero temps. You're going to get it all, and probably in the same day!

Carl

yukon john
12-31-2010, 08:11 PM
If you're going north for stones be prepared for beach weather and sub-zero temps. You're going to get it all, and probably in the same day!

Carl
thats the truth...... Ive seen 0-35c in one hunt

RJ
12-31-2010, 08:12 PM

Carl

Thanks Carl, thats about what I figured :mrgreen:

spear
12-31-2010, 08:16 PM
Here'y my list so far
1 pair synthetic boot length long johns
Sitka Mountain Pants
Sitka Stormfront Jacket
5 pairs socks
1 merino long sleeve undershirt
1 down vest
1 ultralight polartec fleece mountain hardwear
sitka traverse shirt
synthetic toque
convertible gloves

bigwhiteys
12-31-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks Carl, thats about what I figured :mrgreen:

The clothing list I have in my gear list was based on August hunting and as BromBones as already mentioned layering is key to staying comfortable.

The Northface convertibles are great at keeping your legs cool when hiking, just open the zips and when it rains, they dry really fast and are very durable. For under $100 a pair they are a good pant.

If it get's really cold, slip on some long johns, or rain pants over top.

Like BromBones mentioned as well, rainpants aren't a huge deal IMO because if you have high top boots, gators, and a rain jacket, it's only a small portion of your legs that are exposed anyways. I still take them though.

Carl

bigwhiteys
12-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Here'y my list so far
1 pair synthetic boot length long johns
Sitka Mountain Pants
Sitka Stormfront Jacket
5 pairs socks
1 merino long sleeve undershirt
1 down vest
1 ultralight polartec fleece mountain hardwear
sitka traverse shirt
synthetic toque
convertible gloves

That list will be fine for August hunting. I would look into Thorlos for the socks, I take 5 fresh pair every year. They rock.

Carl

spear
12-31-2010, 08:49 PM
I may pick up a pair to try out, I run teko's, ulangs and smartwool now. I wear wool socks year round in Victoria, dry feet = happy feet

elkdom
01-01-2011, 11:27 AM
a guy would definitely want to wear something "NICE", that would compliment being with a "BABE" like this when sheep hunting!:wink:

Bear Chaser
01-01-2011, 10:38 PM
a guy would definitely want to wear something "NICE", that would compliment being with a "BABE" like this when sheep hunting!:wink:

I assume you have a pair of velcro palmed gloves for those types of occasions.:mrgreen:

ufishifish2
01-02-2011, 11:17 AM
We were near Muncho Lk in August and it snowed and gt down to -5 overnight. But it felt like about minus a billion due to the fact that I was fishing Sockeye on the Fraser in Hope the weekend before and it was a sweltering 41 degrees in the trough.

Slee
01-18-2011, 10:28 PM

Looks promising.

Carl

His price list just got put on his blog. seems like the stuff is going to be very reasonable to start with anyways.

greenhorn
01-18-2011, 10:55 PM
IMO Sitka stuff is way overhyped. I liken it to my Patagonia fly fishing vest which is nice but cost a small fortune.... I call it my Pata-Gucci vest, man do I look good in it.

This may not be good advice for sheep, but I wouldn't overlook a decent wool layer. Whenever I backpack I always have a light wool layer with me. When it's cold/wet - you wear the thin wool under a rain layer. IMO opinion this combo outperforms the new superfabrics and is less bulky than a goretex garment that is designed to keep you warm and dry. If I have a good thin wool layer that I keep as one of my underlayers, and I keep it reasonably dry, I find that I can wear less clothes than my mates and still remain comfy.

Some people say that this combo doesn't "breath" well enough or let sweat evaporate. But I would argue that you're supposed to monitor how much your sweating and pace yourself accordingly.

Alpine Addict
01-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Some wranglers, and walmart has some cheep plaid shirts.

budismyhorse
01-20-2011, 09:48 AM
with the pants......just make sure you can get them on and off without having to take your boots off........

Windproof fleece jacket......you'll stay warm in lower temps if the wind can't get at you.

Those tips have served me well over the years.

I don't get jacked up for the Sitka-like higher end brands.......there is a tonne of quality products out there that work great and aren't anywhere near as expensive.

Mtn Man
01-20-2011, 07:28 PM
hit an yuppie outdoor store, you'll know your in the right shop when outside there are nothing but vw's with kayacks on the roofracks and 20 boxes of granola in the back seat, " mec" but all jokes aside there are some nice lightweight outfits that will protect you from the elements, unfortunately these companys have not gotten into the camo patterns yet, then protect yourself with browning lightweight raingear, the stuff stuffs into a sandwich bag.

Slee
01-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Camo is so over rated for most of BC hunting. The best clothing for any mountain hunting will come out of a MEC/Valhalla/ backpacking store. Im not sure why so many guys are worried about camo paterns ect for mountain hunting.

greenhorn
01-20-2011, 11:58 PM
Camo is so over rated for most of BC hunting. The best clothing for any mountain hunting will come out of a MEC/Valhalla/ backpacking store. Im not sure why so many guys are worried about camo paterns ect for mountain hunting.

Agree, but IMO one should avoid MEC.

stoneguide
01-21-2011, 08:07 AM
I agree 100%.

troutseeker
01-21-2011, 11:05 AM
But the patchouli smelling, hairy armpits girls at MEC are so cute... Expecially in their sexy Birkenstock sandals and long flowing dresses!

Stone Sheep Steve
01-21-2011, 12:50 PM
But the patchouli smelling, hairy armpits girls at MEC are so cute... Expecially in their sexy Birkenstock sandals and long flowing dresses!

Ahhhhhhhhh................those are guys, TS:?.

SSS

greenhorn
01-21-2011, 04:31 PM

LOL. OK if you must shop there: walk in wearing your full camo get-up and announce early in the conversation that you'll be hunting sheep, see what kind of looks and service you get.

Slee
01-21-2011, 05:10 PM

I have only shopped at the MEC in Edmonton. Have had some good conversations about elk hunting with a few guys that work there. Havent ran into any anti-hunters while shopping there. Even one of the girls working there was talking about hunting. I guess your refering to the store in Van???

pushbush
01-21-2011, 05:30 PM
I've heard that Sitka Clothing is somehow affiliated with Mountain Equipment Co-op, both being Anti- Hunting. If that's the case I won't be buying from either company.

greenhorn
01-22-2011, 01:09 AM
I have only shopped at the MEC in Edmonton. Have had some good conversations about elk hunting with a few guys that work there. Havent ran into any anti-hunters while shopping there. Even one of the girls working there was talking about hunting. I guess your refering to the store in Van???

I've only been in the new one in Victoria. Anyone who lives on the south island may agree about the hunter sentiment that I'm hinting at.

Re: Sitka gear - I think their product line began with, mainly, surfer apparel. I know a bunch of surfer dudes and the sitka testimonials they give aren't good. Words like overpriced and claims that they're not as well made as they should be for the price. IMO they're just another boutique brand.

kennyj
01-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Different clothes for different species? I hunt sheep in my deer, moose, goat etc... hunting cloths.
kenny

bigwhiteys
01-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Re: Sitka gear - I think their product line began with, mainly, surfer apparel. I know a bunch of surfer dudes and the sitka testimonials they give aren't good. Words like overpriced and claims that they're not as well made as they should be for the price. IMO they're just another boutique brand.
That is totally false information. Sitka "Surf Wear" and Sitka Gear are two totally different entities. Not the same at all...

I went to high school with some of the gals working at MEC in Victoria. Nice people, just a little mis-guided lol....

Carl

greenhorn
01-22-2011, 12:15 PM
That is totally false information. Sitka "Surf Wear" and Sitka Gear are two totally different entities. Not the same at all...

I went to high school with some of the gals working at MEC in Victoria. Nice people, just a little mis-guided lol....

Carl

I know there are two different entities. I guess I mis read the previous posts, but I got the impression that the sitka surf brand was branching out into other gear.... maybe I got confused by the "new product line or something"

Either way I still think it's overpriced and over hyped. Probably a poor comparison, but Edmund Hillary Climbed Everest without Goretex and the old boys hammered cranker deer and sheep without mossy oak.....

Didn't say the people at MEC weren't nice.

bigwhiteys
01-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Either way I still think it's overpriced and over hyped. Probably a poor comparison, but Edmund Hillary Climbed Everest without Goretex and the old boys hammered cranker deer and sheep without mossy oak.....

I agree that Sitka is overpriced and overhyped and the price among dealers varies wildly. Some people paid top dollar, others have paid prices that weren't so outrageous, others have paid fire sale prices. My family took hundreds of rams in wrangler blue jeans and button up cowboy shirts so I am well aware that all the fancy camo crap isn't required.

The former CEO of Sitka (hunting gear) is branching off and creating a diffferent brand called KUIU. Different manufacturers/process and different materials then Sitka. It's being targeted to mountain/backpack hunters.

Some people spend $2000 or $3000 making a custom rifle. I am happy with my $750 used Tikka leaving more $$$ for other cool things. Different strokes for different folks!

Carl

Deaddog
01-22-2011, 05:40 PM
My family took hundreds of rams in wrangler blue jeans and button up cowboy shirts so I am well aware that all the fancy camo crap isn't required.

Some people spend $2000 or $3000 making a custom rifle. I am happy with my $750 used Tikka leaving more $$$ for other cool things. Different strokes for different folks!

Carl

I totally agree with Carl here, lots of rams have fallen to guys in jeans and button up shirts.. no such thing as " Sheep hunting clothes", whatever you wear hunting other species will work just as well.. remember sheep are just another animal...you can get cold and wet just as well hunting deer....and like Carl, I still use the same 30-06 savage that I got 28 years ago for graduation for all my hunting including sheep.. I think we "scare" people away from sheep hunting with all the "specialty" talk...in any event I hope all the guys with sheep questions come to she WSS convention in kamloops in march to get their questions answered and buy beer!!!

GoatGuy
01-22-2011, 05:46 PM
I agree that Sitka is overpriced and overhyped and the price among dealers varies wildly. Some people paid top dollar, others have paid prices that weren't so outrageous, others have paid fire sale prices. My family took hundreds of rams in wrangler blue jeans and button up cowboy shirts so I am well aware that all the fancy camo crap isn't required.

The former CEO of Sitka (hunting gear) is branching off and creating a diffferent brand called KUIU. Different manufacturers/process and different materials then Sitka. It's being targeted to mountain/backpack hunters.

Carl

This is totally true. You're far better off spending your money on hunting trips as opposed to hunting gear.

troutseeker
01-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh................those are guys, TS:?.

SSS

Humm, oh well... They sure are masters of camouflage then! And some of their parts sure felt genuine...:shock:

pnbrock
01-22-2011, 06:14 PM
everyone knows you have to wear a camo thong only to kill rams!!!!

pescado
01-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Save your $$ for your optics and your base layers. Sitka is way over priced. Tiaga has some good gear.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-23-2011, 10:04 AM
For the last couple of yrs, I've been using a pair of zip-off pants from Bass Pro. Yes, they are camoflauge but they were only $29.95.....cheaper than most non-camo clothes.:)
They're not perfect but I'd call them a "great value" item.

SSS

BCrams
01-23-2011, 10:40 AM
I still use the same 30-06 savage that I got 28 years ago for graduation for all my hunting including sheep.. I think we "scare" people away from sheep hunting with all the "specialty" talk...in any event I hope all the guys with sheep questions come to she WSS convention in kamloops in march to get their questions answered and buy beer!!!

This is totally true. You're far better off spending your money on hunting trips as opposed to hunting gear.

Agreed. I still use the same old 7mm I've had since I was 16. One doesn't need to get into all the technical or fancy gear that is available on the market. Especially for all those new or want to hunt sheep guys that are starting out!!! Or for any species.

bigwhiteys
01-23-2011, 10:53 AM
If a guy is just starting out, going on his first mountain hunt etc... Then there is no need to start dropping thousands on gear.

Good Tent and Good Boots. Because if you're not in one you're in the other!

If a guy trys it out and decides mountain hunting is the shizzle then it's only a natural progression to want to acquire better gear as the budget allows.

Carl

BabineGuide
01-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Order your Sitka Gear directly from their website... In the past they have always had my order on my doorstep within 5 or 7 days. The best camo available.

kuiu
02-05-2011, 08:16 PM

From all your posts on sheep hunting, looks like you'll have a great fall!

leadpillproductions
02-07-2011, 10:46 PM
From all your posts on sheep hunting, looks like you'll have a great fall!
Im going to give it my best try .

hunter#1_300
02-08-2011, 09:04 PM
anyone use rivers west camo http://riverswest.com/ looks pritty good seen a display at back country fsj was holding water so must be prity water proof

bigwhiteys
02-08-2011, 09:06 PM
anyone use rivers west camo http://riverswest.com/ looks pritty good seen a display at back country fsj was holding water so must be prity water proof

Everything I have heard and read about the Rivers West camo suggests that it's great stuff for mulling around on a quad, or stand hunting but if you start to hike in it, the name Rivers Wet gets thrown around quite a bit.

Carl

BlacktailStalker
02-08-2011, 10:48 PM
I hear the same, RW and breathable don't belong in the same sentence.

The Hermit
02-08-2011, 11:58 PM
Order your Sitka Gear directly from their website... In the past they have always had my order on my doorstep within 5 or 7 days. The best camo available.

BAhhh... order your Sitka Gear from www.VantagePoint-Outfitters.com and save at least 25%!!

Sitka Gear is expensive, but it IS very well made and has been unique in that it is cut to fit the athletic body and functions well in high activity pursuits! Do you NEED the best to be the best no, but not being the best I like every advantage I can muster!

To me it is a little like the difference between a grocery getter and a fine Italian Sports car... you don't necessarily NEED it but it sure is nice to drive!

wiggy
02-09-2011, 09:08 AM

I own a set of bibs and a jacket from the first year it came out. Tell ya one thing its light and waterproof. The newer stuff is suppose to have better seams but i havent had a problem. You have to use a good pair of gators with the pants or they can bog down. Never had the problem with the jacket. I use it Bighorn hunting in October and Coho fishing on the Harrison with a down vest underneath, a couple layers of smartwool and done. I do carry a extra fleece windbreaker for those bone chilling wet windy cold days and havent had a problem. Keep your eye on ebay and you can get a piece for 100 bucks now and then. Make sure you buy it 2 sizes bigger then your shirt size it does fit small. Then again my arms are longer then a gorillas. I used to work with MO and this shit is tough. As for breathability when your hiking straight up for hours i aint found anything to keep me from sweating. I just change my underwool when i get up top. Stay toasty and keep dry or your gonna die

303Brit
02-10-2011, 07:33 PM
LOL. OK if you must shop there: walk in wearing your full camo get-up and announce early in the conversation that you'll be hunting sheep, see what kind of looks and service you get.

I find it works best if you ask them where they keep the snarewire upon entering the store ;)

greenhorn
02-11-2011, 04:32 PM
I find it works best if you ask them where they keep the snarewire upon entering the store ;)

You'd definitely get some weird looks in the Victoria store.... there's a large faction of people from victoria that don't think it's ok to eat/kill animals, but it's ok to wear leather jackets.....

303Brit
02-14-2011, 07:57 PM
You'd definitely get some weird looks in the Victoria store.... there's a large faction of people from victoria that don't think it's ok to eat/kill animals, but it's ok to wear leather jackets.....

I know right, I love doing it down in Vic. It's basically the best way to get everyone in the store to leave you alone while you shop ;)