PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 450t GPS

newhunterette
12-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Well let see, a couple months ago I went into Wholesale Sports in Langley with Peter. He was looking at upgrading his GPS from the Lowrance iFinder Hunt model to the garmin 450t. He liked the new features and the smaller device that garmin has offered. While he hemmed and hawed about whether he should get a new GPS, I walked up to the counter, asked him if he liked it, he said yes, so I had the guy ring it up.

He was very happy and used the new GPS on his hunting trip to Rock Creek.

So now just before Christmas, I went back to Wholesale Sports to talk about adding the Backroads BC MU maps to the 450t. It is an SD card that fits into the unit and gives you the same maps you would find in the updated Backroads Books. I asked the clerk at the GPS counter if this was an easy to the point, pop in card and off you go sort of deal and was told absolutely easy to install. So I spent the $140.00 for the SD card and had a nice stocking stuffer for Peter to open at Christmas.

He was very excited to have this, especially because his regular hunting partner has a similar unit and they can connect their units to exchange way points and information.

So he opens the SD card, loads it into the GPS and poof MU Units appear...........NOT. Okay off to the computer, thinking perhaps have to load it with the USB and computer....... NOPE, perhaps card was installed incorrectly, double check .......Nope. Finally today, Peter went into Wholesale Sports to ask them how it is supposed to work and talking to 3 people at the GPS counter, he thinks he has it figured out. Come home, tries the GPS and, you guessed it............NADA happens. I could see him starting to get frustrated so I went straight to the top, I called Garmin directly and talked to their tech support, amazed that we had to talk to 3 different people from Garmin to get this itty bitty SD card to work. Apparently the SD cards are a third party item for Garmin, they have permission from garmin to make the map cards for their products but they are not directly linked to Garmin.

A representative from Garmin called us back to state that their British Columbia rep will be better informed when they go into Outdoor Stores so they can pass the right information on to the consumer. The GPS people at Wholesale Sports were clueless and grasping at straws as to how to make the unit accept the SD card and have the MU units appear on the device.

Peter was talked through step by step from Garmin, once they investigated exactly what we were trying to accomplish and the GPS graphics of the MU Maps is amazing on this unit, shows so much more than the Backroad Books ever could.

If you register your unit with garmin, they will send you free upgrades to the maps and devices on the unti, keeps your GPS current. Just hook up to your computer and download straight onto the GPS.

Peter is very excited now to use this new unit for his 2011 season.

..............so making a purchase from Wholesale Sports, yes will shop there but asking for information, will research on my own as can't rely on thier knowledge of the products they supply.

Curious......... does anyone else have this unit and have you added the backroads SD card to yours, how do you like it?

Phreddy
12-30-2010, 10:46 PM
I got a new garmin for
christmas and am waiting for the backroads map. It was mailed yesterday so should be here early next week.. I'll give you a heads up Ali when I get it and maybe you could give me some pointers on how to set it up if I run into problems.

waistdeep
12-30-2010, 10:59 PM
i got the sd card and installed in my 530hcx and it took three attempts to get the card to register on the display. once displayed correctly I find it holds so much info that on the small screen it is hard to get the forestry camps, trails ect to get out of the way so I can see the terrain. other than that it does provide all the trails clearly easy to read

troutseeker
12-31-2010, 07:10 PM
I bought this SD card a few months ago and I find it great! I had it installed on my first try, mind you I used to be a computer consultant.

pappy
01-03-2011, 08:49 PM
I just got my 60csx about a week ago and just bought the backroads sd card for B.C. Soon as I plugged it in it worked right away, now I just need the time off of work so I can see how well it works out of town.

newhunterette
01-03-2011, 08:57 PM
what I discovered was disabling other mapping systems made the backroad maps appear - too much was on top of each other - pretty sweet now - he'll give it a good try on his next trip.

haligan
01-03-2011, 09:02 PM
I too received this as a stocking stuffer this year. I had no trouble loading it up on my GPSMAP 60csx, however the one thing i don't like about it is that when you scroll over a recreation point or lake etc, it list the name of the point, but does not give a description like you can see in the books.

I plan on contacting Garmin and backroads mapbooks about this and see if maybe i just need to configure it differently. Another thing that i would like to see is when you are using the computer version it should show more information. When your pointer is over top of an icon, a box come up that says right click for more information, and then it just basically says the name of the icon again.

Is this the same results everyone else is getting? sure would be nice to see a description of the location

cavebear
01-03-2011, 09:14 PM
i got the sd card and installed in my 530hcx and it took three attempts to get the card to register on the display. once displayed correctly I find it holds so much info that on the small screen it is hard to get the forestry camps, trails ect to get out of the way so I can see the terrain. other than that it does provide all the trails clearly easy to read

If you go into your display option and change your display detail from most to a lower setting should fix your problem.

x-hare
01-03-2011, 09:18 PM
but does not give a description like you can see in the books.I

Thank goodness alot of the information in the books is very outdated and can get you really f***ed up especially the Northern Area.
You can us the map on your PC to detail your own info then upload back onto your unit. Also they update their maps and if you contribute way points the updates free.:-D

waistdeep
01-03-2011, 09:27 PM
If you go into your display option and change your display detail from most to a lower setting should fix your problem.

thanks that is what I needed, it was not under display option but map option, thanks again