PDA

View Full Version : High country hunt

pushbush
12-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Looking for info on any high country ( alpine) areas that I can plan an early season hunt for mulies in the Thompson okanagan area.
Any info would be appreciated
Thanks

leadpillproductions
12-30-2010, 06:29 PM
should be able to find somerthin down the coquihalla hwy , always wanted to ty in there when i lived down there .

adamgarbett
12-31-2010, 09:15 AM
Around big white makes me jones

12-31-2010, 09:48 AM
Ask Jelvis, he's da man that will give that info up.

CT

pnbrock
12-31-2010, 10:01 AM
damn curly after those high country pics you showed me i was hoping u were giving up the info of where,maybe nextime

swampthing
12-31-2010, 10:43 AM
Lilloett has some nice alpine with the ocassional mulie.

dino
12-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Looking for info on any high country ( alpine) areas that I can plan an early season hunt for mulies in the Thompson okanagan area.
Any info would be appreciated
Thanks
Try up the Raush river, Tete Jeaune or Dunster area heard theese are wintering grounds so go high above theese spots in the early season and there should be some.

Big Lew
12-31-2010, 06:33 PM
"bucks&trucks" mentioned "Big White". If you don't mind doing some serious hiking, or have a horse that will pack, there are some very big deer in the remote hidie-holes around the tops of all three mountains, Mt. Jubilie, Mt. Moore, and near the Big White complex, Make sure of the areas that are open to hunting. Over the years, I have seen some incredibly huge bucks, but by far the largest was near the top of Mt. Moore. When my son and I saw it lying down, at first we thought it was an elk, it's body and headgear (still in velvet) was so massive. A word of caution, it is very easy to get lost up there, and there are some nasty alpine swamps (which they sometimes frequent during the heat of the day) I was never able to get a shot at one with my bow, and because I normally hunt alone and am getting too old to risk hunting in such rugged areas by myself, I have switched to more accessible areas.

mark
01-01-2011, 12:41 PM
"bucks&trucks" mentioned "Big White". If you don't mind doing some serious hiking, or have a horse that will pack, there are some very big deer in the remote hidie-holes around the tops of all three mountains, Mt. Jubilie, Mt. Moore, and near the Big White complex, Make sure of the areas that are open to hunting. Over the years, I have seen some incredibly huge bucks, but by far the largest was near the top of Mt. Moore. When my son and I saw it lying down, at first we thought it was an elk, it's body and headgear (still in velvet) was so massive. A word of caution, it is very easy to get lost up there, and there are some nasty alpine swamps (which they sometimes frequent during the heat of the day) I was never able to get a shot at one with my bow, and because I normally hunt alone and am getting too old to risk hunting in such rugged areas by myself, I have switched to more accessible areas.

The problem with Moore and Jubillee, is quad access! Easy access means lots of people=educated, or exterminated deer!!!
Nice country though!

75% of big white is ski mountain lease land= no hunting, and they do patrol it near at the opening of hunting season.

dana
01-01-2011, 01:03 PM
We used to hunt that Moore/Jubilee/Frank area quite a bit back in the early 80's. Haven't been in that country for years but I understand there are vehicle restrictions in there now. Here's a buck my dad's friend took out of there back in the day.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/GreystokesMuley.jpg

mark
01-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Might be vehicle restrictions, would sure be nice to see them enforced somehow....I doubt the quads will stop going up there, trails everywhere!

Ive seen tracks from every critter you can think of, but never seen an animal up there???
Havnt been up there in years, and never did hunt it hard due to the high traffic I experienced!

dana
01-01-2011, 01:22 PM
The area used to be pretty quiet with hunters back in the 80's. I remember the road into St Margaret was pretty hellish. There weren't many quads back in those days, just 2 wheelers and 4x4s. I do remember one year hiking into Frank from the Upper Christian Valley side during the old early season any sex/any age bowhunt . We saw tons of deer. Kids with buck fever and early compounds meant looks of arrows flung with nothing ever killed.

Gunner Staal
01-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Some of the nicest Alpine in the area is in the Monashee Range Northeast of Cherryville. Mt. Sitkum, Goat Mtn, Lookout Mtn, Twin Lakes ect ect. Not to mention being scenic eye candy, ive seen some great bucks early season. Very popular areas for hiking so you have to be prepared to run into people who may be somewhat shocked to see you trying to kill what they hope to see. If you like to hike its amazing country to say the least. My avatar is from the summit of Lookout Mtn. Just over 8000 feet elv.

pushbush
01-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Does any one happen to know what the grizzly population is like around the goat mountain area

Gunner Staal
01-01-2011, 10:03 PM
I hiked Mt. Sitkum last year which is in that area, but didnt see much for sign. Ive seen grizzly around Monashee Lake, but not often.

deer nut
01-01-2011, 10:06 PM
That is a classic photo: a dune buggy & an old Yammy XT!! Love it! Nice buck too!

snareman1234
01-02-2011, 09:21 AM

Spent a few days up there this year, saw 2-3 different parties everytime, lots of guys pounding it b/c of easy access, roads running right through the alpine, as Mark said, deer are there but are hidden, there are easier spots to find a high country muley

butthead
01-02-2011, 09:41 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=22083&cat=500&limit=recent

i think i know that dune buggy
and i recognize
i recognize st margrats also will have to dig up some of my old dunebuggy pictures
Dana do you reconize these dunebuggys

Husky7mm
01-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Try up the Raush river, Tete Jeaune or Dunster area heard theese are wintering grounds so go high above theese spots in the early season and there should be some.
Very nice alpine, but have seen very few deer there outside of the farm land that is. Come to think of it why are there so few mule deer in those mountians? Lots of goats (leh), some moose(leh), lots of black bears, a fair number of grizzlies(leh) some elk and whities too.

Alpine Addict
01-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Seen a few big bucks up the Coquihalla this Septemer too. West side of the Toll booth. Not alot of deer but there are some. One I saw this season must have been 170 ish. Pretty good deer for around here.

Big Lew
01-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Seen a few big bucks up the Coquihalla this Septemer too. West side of the Toll booth. Not alot of deer but there are some. One I saw this season must have been 170 ish. Pretty good deer for around here.
I have mentioned that area in earlier posts, but I have only accessed it from the Anderson watershed via just north of the Alexandria bridge in the Fraser Canyon. It's a tough climb to the semi-alpine from the overgrown logging road unless you know where to head in, but once up high, it's pretty nice (you can sit and have lunch while watching the Coq. traffic way down below) Took a old gnarly buck up there, and unsuccessfully stalked others with my bow.

dana
01-04-2011, 09:26 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=22083&cat=500&limit=recent

i think i know that dune buggy
and i recognize
i recognize st margrats also will have to dig up some of my old dunebuggy pictures
Dana do you reconize these dunebuggys

I was just a kid in the days we spent up the Greystokes. My ol' man and his buddies hunted it most every early season. That is when the buggy/buck pic was taken. I would imagine my dad knows those buggies.

butthead
01-05-2011, 02:08 AM
I was just a kid in the days we spent up the Greystokes. My ol' man and his buddies hunted it most every early season. That is when the buggy/buck pic was taken. I would imagine my dad knows those buggies.

it wasn't old man funk was it
the lake shot is of st margrats
as you can tell not many vehicles had been down there