PDA

View Full Version : Duck Hunting Dec 28th 2010

warnniklz
12-29-2010, 05:32 PM
So since I had to come back to the coast from Williams Lake earlier than planned, I thought I'd drag gramps out duck hunting.

We got up at 5:30 with the intent to be in the field by 7. We were in the Ladner area by 6:30 and it was still pretty dark. So we hit up Timmy Ho's for an early morning coffee/hot chocolate.

We got to the farm we were going to hunt before day light. Gramps and I went and chatted to Mr. Farmer for a bit and this lead to being a little late getting into the field (Gramps can talk a lot). We made our way across the field to the ditch we usually hunt. Gramps went left and I went right. I jumped a wideon and missed him. How? I don't know. He was probably only 20 yards out. As I was making my way to the spot I wanted to hunt. Two mallard drakes snuck in behind me, flying low and quiet. Having my 20 gauge 870 slung on my shoulder I wasn't ready for them. I got one shot off and by this time they were out of range.

8:30 rolled by and 3 big flights of ducks came overhead but up a good 300yrds. I asked Gramps if he seen them. He didn't because he was busy playing in the ditch. Well he pulled a bunch of garbage out.... anyone need an abb master?

I stayed out for another hour not seeing much. So I made my way back along another ditch. I jumped one mallard drake and didn't touch the trigger on this one. I slowed up and quietly peeked over the edge. Down the ditch I could see ripples in the water up 60 yards or so. I quietly made up 40 yards. I crept up to the edge of the ditch and jumped a mallard hen. BANG! one shot and she's down. I climb down and fetch her out of the ditch. Climbing back out I stood up and accidentally touched the electric fence! What an electrifying experience. Thanks for rubber waders!

Anywho. 3rd duck of the year :( 4th animal of the year :( (other being a grouse from my moose trip) In the pictures I think you can see that I ended up making a pretty good shot.

I got her home roasted her up(maybe I'll do a thread on that part... if the demand is there) and had her for supper and lunch today!! I'll be headed back out Jan 2nd and 3rd. Maybe the first depending on my head! Ah ha!

On a side note: after we finished hunting the field/ditches, we drove boundry bay to see what the ducks were doing. They were out there! Thousands! in one picture with the two eagles on the stump you can see a black cloud of ducks! So if you're hunting a punt or boat boundry bay on a high tide looks pretty good. Seen lots of eagles and hawks too out there.

http://s759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/warnniklz/Duck%20Hunting%20Dec%2028%202010/?action=view&current=6302.jpg

Marc
12-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Well good for you for getting out there. Do you guys use decoys at all or is it just ditch jumping? Not that there is anything wrong with that but if you're finding you're not getting that many birds that way you might want to invest in a robo duck. They seem to suck birds in pretty good and would probably work good in an area like you're describing.

warnniklz
12-29-2010, 10:07 PM
I don't usually ditch jump. Gramps is getting a little more impatient with age and we were out late. Oh well still good to get out. We usually pass shoot out on the marsh with a couple of decoys just because. In the field I usually throw out a couple dozen. I had/have robo duck. but he's painted in snow goose colours. Don't ask me why I did that to robo duck instead of mojo duck.

The worst part is there was a wack of ducks in the field across the road and the farmer doesn't allow anyone to hunt it. Such is life.

Mr. Dean
12-30-2010, 01:08 AM
Geesh; At least you saw birds..... The last 5 duck quests of mine, hardly a bird seen, never mind shot at. I've literally not fired a round, at a duck, for 2 weeks now.

I ain't complaing AND I'll be out there again. :wink:

aliagha
12-30-2010, 01:32 AM
nice to see you getting some action, we were out in the ladner area too today for a evening hunt, ducks were nowhere in sight, didn't even get to see one from distance, only seen lots of swans.

warnniklz
12-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Swans are everywhere too. I've noticed if they do have younglings they only have one.

I also seen one pheasant cock behind a high fence field.

I think the ducks are coming out in one or two big flights pretty early. Then the rest later on. The fields are still pretty wet and I haven't been out when it's windy yet.

12-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Geesh; At least you saw birds..... The last 5 duck quests of mine, hardly a bird seen, never mind shot at. I've literally not fired a round, at a duck, for 2 weeks now.

I ain't complaing AND I'll be out there again. :wink:

don't worry, I have found it to be really slow the last two weeks. with only a few birds each hunt for me. and not to many of those big mallards. But I think it will sure get good in the next day or two with all of this cold weather. give it one more shot.

GotSpringer
12-30-2010, 08:08 PM
I've not see many birds lately here in Ladner Calm nights and no rain, my dog & I are itching to get back out,

BillyBull
12-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Hey its great that your out there with gramps... enjoy every moment.

warnniklz
01-01-2011, 11:42 PM
We're headed out tomorrow morning to see what we can find. Talking to some associated gun members and even they're having troubles finding ducks.

Mr. Dean
01-02-2011, 12:42 AM
We're headed out tomorrow morning to see what we can find. Talking to some associated gun members and even they're having troubles finding ducks.

I'm begining to think that hunting duck is akin to fishing for salmon; you need to be in the right place, at the right time, and hope that they haven't moved on, and that more will be coming in..... Then there's the tide thing for coastal waters.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try to bang some geese... :smile: