PDA

View Full Version : new to hunting:D and need LOTS OF HELP

604hunter
12-28-2010, 11:25 PM
hey
i just recently got really interested in going hunting. i am total noob at this because i dont even have a liscence yet. i am from surrey and want to know what kind of liscence would i need to hunt and where do we get it from?like deers and stuff....
also what are good places near surrey to go hunting (lower mainland). and the important question should i get a gun to hunt or a bow/crossbow?
i am on a tight budget as i am only a student so $300..
if a gun what gun and if bow/crossbow which one.
i am 6.3 210 big guy so the weight and stuff wouldnt be an issue.
and any suggestion or any help is greatly apreciated.
thanks in advance:-D

Steeleco
12-28-2010, 11:38 PM
First off your going to need to take CORE. You can find an instructor in a few locations in Surrey, but it's likely going to eat up almost half your budget. But if you get it now you'll have plenty of time to save up for hunting later in the year.

I'd also suggest you join a club like Semiamoo in South Surrey, you'll meet lots of people that may be willing to show you the ropes.

Welcome to the site, lots of good things the read and learn from here on the site.

bugler
12-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Yup, start with taking the CORE. You need it to obtain a hunting license. It will also give you some food for thought on what you want to use and what you want to pursue. It may seem daunting to get started but it is definitely worth the effort!!!

BiG Boar
12-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Challenge your CORE. Just get the book from the library, or buy it at hunting store. Save u some cash. Then try to tag along with your license on a black bear hunt in the spring. See if it suits you. Yes u eat the bear and there are areas nearby to hunt them. Do lots of reading on your chosen species and if you put in your time in the bush, you will find one. Weather u shoot it or not depends on how much u practice shooting before the season. Ask lots of questions using the search function first, then ask them here if u can't find your answer. $300 won't cut it though. Gas alone will eat that up. Nevermind, gun, ammo, and gear.

Stéphane
12-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Being a new hunter as well, let me help you here. First of, when it comes to find help, you've got the right forum. It doesn't mater how insignificant you think your question is, someone here will have some advice to give you. The rest is up to you to make the decision that is the most suited to your own personal needs.
I was lucky enough to be able to bypass the CORE course, so I won't linger on that one.
Getting to go hunting. Do some research on what you want to hunt. Then, do some more. Most of it is free and it will put you in the right frame of mind. Next, get the proper, essential, tools for that hunt. For example, if you want to go grouse hunting, then a shotgun might be more suitable to your needs than a riffle. If deer hunting is your goal, then buy accordingly. I would suggest you buy a used one first and see how you like it. If it's not your gig, then you won't loose too much. If you really like it, then you can think of upgrading.

Joining a shooting club is a very good investment. No matter what you're going to use (bow or firearm) you will be the major difference between success or not. Not the price you paid for the items. For example, we used to rat race on motorcycles in Mission during trackdaze. Some guys having very expensive equipment. Yet, my body with an old beater 400cc Honda was untouchable. Why? Because he practiced more than anyone else.

Finally, get out there. You will have the whole summer to scout. Go hiking and check places where you think you'll find games. That's how I started. When hunting season started, I was able to get myself some upland birds with an old bow that made some people laugh.

Bow Walker
12-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Big Boar - the guy is a self confessed "total noob" when it comes to hunting fer krist sakes! What kind of advice is that to give a wannabe?!?

604hunter - DO NOT JUST CHALLENGE THE C.O.R.E.! You will be doing yourself a huge dis-service by missing out on a ton of valuable information. As bugler states - you will be better equipped to answer a lot of questions that will crop up before you go out and buy either a gun or a bow. Plus, you'll get a pile of information about handling weapons and about hunting in general. Take the C.O.R.E.

As to what weapon to choose? It's pretty much a personal choice. I might advise you to start out with a gun as it's easier to get your first game animal with a gun than it is to get one with a bow.

Learn about your intended quarry, where it lives, what it eats, its habits, and so forth. Then you can make an informed decision about how you want to hunt it.

Welcome to the site. Ask away and be prepared for an avalanche of information.

RJ
12-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Honestly for 300 bucks you aren't going to get out the door. CORE, plus hunting license, species tags, PAL and RPAL firearms courses, then equipment such as your gun, or bow/crossbow... Then gun range membership should you choose that route, lots of ammo for practice.... Don't want to seem like a wet blanket but you should know what you're getting into.

Bow Walker
12-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Now why would he want an R-PAL when so far all he wants to do is to get into hunting? PAL, CORE, license, and tag(s) - yes. But R-PAL? I don't think so!

RJ
12-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Now why would he want an R-PAL when so far all he wants to do is to get into hunting? PAL, CORE, license, and tag(s) - yes. But R-PAL? I don't think so!

Might as well, besides being good fun, somewhere a Liberal cries every time an RPAL is issued :mrgreen:

Not necessary for someone on a tight budget I agree though :-D

elkdom
12-29-2010, 12:30 PM
take the Core coarse,
take your PAL coarse,
study for them like it was a doctorate!

then get yourself a good cheap .22 caliber rifle, single shot is just fine, shoot it a lot! get proficient, when the rifle is as comfortable in your hands as a if it is a pencil you would write with, you will have confidence and can move on to a big game cartridge,

start another thread once you have mastered these conditions,,,,,,,,,,,,:wink:

604hunter
12-29-2010, 12:34 PM
hey guys thanks for the all the help. after reading all your guys comments i am starting to understand the basics of getting in to hunting. i think i confused you guys with the $300. that was only for the weapon not the gear and other stuff. Also what do we do with the animal we hunt. eat it but are there places where they can skin it for you or we got to do that ourselves.

BiG Boar
12-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Big Boar - the guy is a self confessed "total noob" when it comes to hunting fer krist sakes! What kind of advice is that to give a wannabe?!

That was honest advice. How I did it anyways, and it seemed to work for me? The guy has $300 to work with here, I mean lets be real. He wont even be licenced for that price if he takes the CORE and PAL coruse. I sat through it and walked out halfway through the course as it was just reading through the book in a group. Not saying you wont learn an extra thing or two, but the time is better spent on here reading and doing searches and asking questions then in a CORE course. (at least the CORE course that I signed up for). Of course you will have to know the actions of each rifle and how to safely use them. PM me and you can come learn all the actions at my place for free. Just bring a couple cold ones for after.:-D

BiG Boar
12-29-2010, 12:49 PM
are there places where they can skin it for you or we got to do that ourselves.

Easy to do it yourself. Watch some youtube videos. All you need is http://tooseart.ca/images/olfa%20knife%20l1.jpg

Bow Walker
12-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Well, to be fair here - we don't know if 604hunter has had any previous experience(s) with firearms of any sort. If he has been around firearms and paid a bit of attention to safety - then he could very well get a PAL book, study it, and challenge the test.

But I think that the CORE is a different matter. Different enough to sit through the course and be able to ask any questions that cross his mind. He'll get an answer right then and there.

604....if you are considering a cross bow or a 'regular' bow I strongly urge you to take the IBEP course as well. (International Bowhunters Education Program).