PDA

View Full Version : Chilcotin duck hunting

walkerbc
12-28-2010, 07:12 PM
I live on the island but have been duck hunting west of Williams Lake (Riske Creek) for over 20 years. We normally take a week and hit lots of different sloughs , with grouse and muleys to add to the fun. Each year we seem to be getting drier and drier and less ducks and this year the Meldrum Creek fire did not help. I am wondering if west of Quesnel has possibilities. There seems to be lots of water around Fishpot lake area. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

squeasel
12-29-2010, 10:50 AM
I went up there for a few years in a row around 10 years back when my brother taught at the Nazko school. Fishpot never held too many but a good spot was a few hundred yards west of the confluence of the Coglistiico (sp?) and the Bazaeko (sp?) rivers.

It shallows out there and always held a few hundred ducks. Fishing at the confluence is amazing as well.

Another good tactic was to canoe the Nazko River and jumpshoot ducks as you rounded corners. Got a lot that way and was a lot of fun. Only the front guy shooting of course.

Area also held tons of grouse.

Hope this helps.

walkerbc
12-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the input. Floating the river sounds like fun. The folks at Fishpot lake resort say there is some sloughs around that you could use decoys and jump shoot as well. We will give the area some consideration. Thanks again.

warnniklz
12-29-2010, 10:01 PM
camp at cariboo lake... if you have a boat and motor cruise up the river. Tons of ducks and geese!! early-mid november is usually pretty good