PDA

View Full Version : Bowhunting Grizzly Bears

Ron.C
12-28-2010, 05:53 PM
First, this is a bowhunting question. I'd love to hear all Griz hunting experiences, but am not interested in debating Grizzly bear defence guns, bear spray....... Those subjects have been discussed at great length before.

I have never hunted grizzly bears and only have limited experience with them as I live on VI. However, I hunt in the EK every year and had a run in with one three seasons back while hiking in for a mountain goat hunt, and was very close to a sow and three cubs in the Bowron Lakes Park in 2005.

I put and LEH in for an area that I've elk/deer hunted twice and have seen considerable grizzly sign both times as well as speaking with locals on Griz in the area. If I get drawn, I'd like to hunt with my bow.

I had a good discussion today with Hermit and he educated me on a couple Grizzly experiences he had personally and shared a few he got first hand from others. I thought I would throw this out there to the HBC bowhunting community and see what experiences those that have tried it can share. Has anyone shot a G bear with a bow and what type of reactions have bears you have. Was it aggressive, did it run, did you need to follow up with a gun shot?

My plan is to hang treestands in two areas I know the bears frequent and use a combination of predator/calf elk calls to try and call one in? "The Island Black bears seem to love the whining calf elk call" And if I see one at a distance that isn't comming in, maybe attempt a stalk??? I have called several black bears in like this and figured why not try it for a Griz. Just ideas at this point, but figured I'd throw it out there to see what experience other bowhunters have had.

TyTy
12-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Not really pertenent to the subject, but, I saw a beauty silver tip high up @ the tree line (guessing around 1800m elevation) in late oct. huge bear, flipping rocks for food. probably as high as he could go up the mountain. Looked more gray than brown. MU 4-25. Coud've been a spot and stalk situation.

Ron.C
12-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Not really pertenent to the subject, but, I saw a beauty silver tip high up @ the tree line (guessing around 1800m elevation) in late oct. huge bear, flipping rocks for food. probably as high as he could go up the mountain. Looked more gray than brown. MU 4-25. Coud've been a spot and stalk situation.

I think we were talking earlier in the year, you had the LEH moose hunt as well right? 4-25, that's where I put in for my spring LEH. I was out there in late Oct, early Nov and we were into a pile of fresh G bear sign down low east of the Kootenay River. A large MU for sure. Please PM me if you want to exchange some info

Ron

bugler
12-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Never done it myself but I know a guy who has shot two with his bow in Northern BC, before it all went on draw. Both were in the fall and kind of incidental to caribou/sheep hunting. Spot and stalk was his method. Apparently there was no scary/aggressive reaction to the shot.

I don't doubt that calf calls will get a reaction in the spring as often they are actively looking for them once they drop in the first two weeks of June. I've heard plenty of stories of people calling them in inadvertently in the fall when they are elk calling as well.

GoatGuy
12-28-2010, 11:16 PM
If you get the tag, will help you out.

Calf calling works depending on the area, bears usually come in fast. Not my kind of hunting - like the slides much better.

Reaction depends entirely on the bear and the situation.

If you want to shoot one with the bow, do it. If you're afraid, don't. There's enough people who are too petrified to put it together efficiently with a rifle, never mind a bow.

One other thing, the bears often aren't in the same spots spring and fall.

Ron.C
12-28-2010, 11:24 PM
If you get the tag, will help you out.

If you want to shoot one with the bow, do it. If you're afraid, don't.

It's not that I'm afraid, just trying to educate myself a bit by learning from other experiences. Will definetly drop you a line if I get the tag,

thanks

GoatGuy
12-28-2010, 11:28 PM
It's not that I'm afraid, just trying to educate myself a bit by learning from other experiences. Will definetly drop you a line if I get the tag,

thanks

Guess composure is the pc word. It can be done but only you know the shooting part, nobody else.

BiG Boar
12-28-2010, 11:33 PM
I have Tried calling for three days with a fawn in distress call for 3 days this year. No luck. Even on fresh tracks. But could have been something eles. Did call in a yote though. So it was working. I would like to try with a bow also, however finding someone to back me up would be hard. Spot and stalk would be the way to go IMO. I don't think you're crazy, I think it would be exhilarating. Would take a diaper also.

GoatGuy
12-29-2010, 06:47 AM
I have Tried calling for three days with a fawn in distress call for 3 days this year. No luck. Even on fresh tracks. But could have been something eles. Did call in a yote though. So it was working. I would like to try with a bow also, however finding someone to back me up would be hard. Spot and stalk would be the way to go IMO. I don't think you're crazy, I think it would be exhilarating. Would take a diaper also.

Backup shooter's the easy job! :wink:

If any of you guys have the old Lancaster videos I'm pretty sure they have a couple bears chirped in way back with Bobby F.

bowhunterbruce
12-29-2010, 07:52 AM
the though has crossed my mind as well,checking out the numerous videos on youtibe might give ya an idea as to what you would be up against.
here's just one for ya.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi_Krx6C_7w&feature=related

Onesock
12-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Apply for a tag on the coast in the fall. Tree stand it on a salmon bearing stream. Safe close shots.

Bow Walker
12-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Apply for a tag on the coast in the fall. Tree stand it on a salmon bearing stream. Safe close shots.
Nothing is 'safe' or 'sure-thing' or 'slam-dunk' when it comes to grizzly bears. In a tree stand equates to being safe? Not in my book. If the bugger wants you, he/she will get you, period. Grizzlies, Polar bears, and Alaskan Browns are three species of bear that will "wind" you, "trail" you, kill you, and eat you. All "just because".

Make the first shot count Ron. You seldom get a second chance on the same bear. Count me in the line of guys that would think twice and then three times before going for a grizz. Kudos for going for one with a bow!

12-29-2010, 01:22 PM

Except when there is a sow with cubs feeding below you that won't leave. Could be a long night!

Onesock
12-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Shall we say "safer."

Ron.C
12-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Agree, there is no 100% safe situation. But lets be real for a second. Many of us who bow hunt elk in Griz country have called in Griz and other predators while bowhunting. Or have had or know someone first hand who has had a Griz steal a kill, or enter camp to see whats on the menu or just have a chance run in with one. Not all these situations end in a calm and enjoyable, albeit heart racing manner, but the vast majority do.

Bow Walker, I think your being bit over-dramatic. Sure all bears are capable of doing what you say, but how often does it really happen??? They are not mindless killing machines. If they were, I'm sure we'd have a forum here on HBC saluting those who never made it back from there hunt because the evil G Bears got em.

Or we'd here alot more stories such as the famous Rattlerer or Brambles and their amazing story.

Yes they are dangerous, unpredictable predators, and who knows for certain what the bear will do once hit by an arrow, but that in itself is the challenge here.

I would not think of doing this without a backup gun, which I have, and would have in the tree with me along with the large can of Counter Assault Bear Spray I always carry, yes even while in a treestand cause it does you no good in a pack on the ground.

I like the idea of sitting on a fish stream, but part of the reason I put in for 4-25 is that is where my last three fall trips were and I like the area and this is a reason to get out there in the spring, scout some new area and see it during a different time of year.

If I want a backup shooter, I have had offers for that as well. What I was fishing for was some first hand accounts from those who have shot or stalked Griz preferably with a bow so I could maybe learn something from their experiences. Or someone who has actually shot one with a bow or knows someones who did. I already have one source who has given me some info that has made me "re-think" my strategy a bit.

Bow Walker
12-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Well, maybe I am a bit of a Drama Queen (:redface:) when it comes to grizz hunting. It's something that I doubt that I'd ever do.

By bringing up that bit of 'drama' I was hoping to help you at least be aware of some of the possibilities...and to prepare for them.

Looks like you are. Hope you get the draw.

GoatGuy
12-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Nothing is 'safe' or 'sure-thing' or 'slam-dunk' when it comes to grizzly bears. In a tree stand equates to being safe? Not in my book. If the bugger wants you, he/she will get you, period. Grizzlies, Polar bears, and Alaskan Browns are three species of bear that will "wind" you, "trail" you, kill you, and eat you. All "just because".

Make the first shot count Ron. You seldom get a second chance on the same bear. Count me in the line of guys that would think twice and then three times before going for a grizz. Kudos for going for one with a bow!

Hahaha, I've always found black bears to be the most unpredictable. Seems with grizzlies either they're coming your way or they're not. They seem to think a little more.

Ron C, have shot a few grizzlies close up. At a couple paces it doesn't matter what you're packing for fire power.

elkdom
12-29-2010, 08:24 PM

several years ago, a 1 hour drive south of my home, guys working on a cut line, were attacked by a Grizz, they climbed trees, one guy lived( in the tree the Grizz didn't climb)
the guy up in the(other tree) died !, mauled to death by the Grizz, the Grizz climbed the tree, dragged him out to the ground, and fed on him!

and when you predator call, and hope to attract ( A ) Grizz, you just might attract 2 or 3,

when hunting Grizz you will be certain of NOTHING, until you are on your way home safe!

Ron.C
12-29-2010, 11:05 PM
[quote=elkdom;820843]
when you predator call, and hope to attract ( A ) Grizz, you just might attract 2 or 3,

quote]

Agree 100%. When I place my stands for a deer hunt, I often have my back to thick bush or set up on trails in thick cover. Not something I like to do when calling bears. It's not the ones that come running in that worry me as much as the ones that you don't know are coming in.
One reason why I'll be select a stand locations with a decent field of view in all directions when hunting bears.

BromBones
12-29-2010, 11:40 PM
I've played around calling in black bears with distress calls & have also got a few young grizzers to come in. When I first started, I'd try it on a bear I'd already spotted to see the reaction.

I found out what I'd already heard - for the most part, bears have a short attention span, and you need to put some serious wind into your call to get one to really commit. Often when you slow down your calling, the bear loses interest quickly. Occasionaly though, they will come in like their ass is on fire and you gotta watch if call in a sow or a young bear - it can be tough to try to turn one that you don't want to shoot, without actually having to shoot it.

Also, if you're just blind calling, try to have two guys and set up where you have 360 degree views or as close to it as possible. Sometimes a bear will circle downwind, and other times they'll come right to the sound, so keep a good watch.

Sounds like you've got a fun hunt in the making. I've got my share of grizzly rugs and it's always exciting - my favorite hunt hands down, especially in the spring. I've never hunted with a bow but when I do put some time in and get comfortable enough, a grizzly will be on my list. I don't think a hunt could get any more exciting than that!

Bchunter3006
03-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Love grizzly hunting. Hope to bowhunt one nect time I get a draw. I've killed 2 with a rifle when I was 11. Its a rush, nothing really matches grizz hunting in the spring with lots of bears around. Here's a link to my Facebook page for pictures.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1493240721&aid=2002826#!/photo.php?fbid=1059563818006&set=a.1017346962611.2002826.1493240721&theater

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1493240721&aid=2002826#!/photo.php?fbid=1059562337969&set=a.1017346962611.2002826.1493240721&theater

BlackwaterMerc
03-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Just curious if any of you bow hunters carry a sidearm/pistol, just in case, especially Grizzly hunting? I think i would feel a lot better about diving into the shit with anything that goes "pop".

killman
03-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Just curious if any of you bow hunters carry a sidearm/pistol, just in case, especially Grizzly hunting? I think i would feel a lot better about diving into the shit with anything that goes "pop".

Serious?:???:

evhunter
03-16-2011, 09:18 PM

Really? Pack a pistol?

Bchunter3006
03-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Maybe if it was legal....

Downtown
03-16-2011, 09:57 PM
First, this is a bowhunting question. I'd love to hear all Griz hunting experiences, but am not interested in debating Grizzly bear defence guns, bear spray....... Those subjects have been discussed at great length before.

I have never hunted grizzly bears and only have limited experience with them as I live on VI. However, I hunt in the EK every year and had a run in with one three seasons back while hiking in for a mountain goat hunt, and was very close to a sow and three cubs in the Bowron Lakes Park in 2005.

I put and LEH in for an area that I've elk/deer hunted twice and have seen considerable grizzly sign both times as well as speaking with locals on Griz in the area. If I get drawn, I'd like to hunt with my bow.

I had a good discussion today with Hermit and he educated me on a couple Grizzly experiences he had personally and shared a few he got first hand from others. I thought I would throw this out there to the HBC bowhunting community and see what experiences those that have tried it can share. Has anyone shot a G bear with a bow and what type of reactions have bears you have. Was it aggressive, did it run, did you need to follow up with a gun shot?

My plan is to hang treestands in two areas I know the bears frequent and use a combination of predator/calf elk calls to try and call one in? "The Island Black bears seem to love the whining calf elk call" And if I see one at a distance that isn't comming in, maybe attempt a stalk??? I have called several black bears in like this and figured why not try it for a Griz. Just ideas at this point, but figured I'd throw it out there to see what experience other bowhunters have had.

So you never hunted Grizzly Bears. I can almost guarantee he will FO the second he gets shoot, then what ? Unless you have a Death wish, what is your plan for the inevitable search for a woundet Grizzly Bear which wants to finnish what you have started ?

Think this over, becouse the ha has dry up pronto when things get ugly.

Good Luck

Ron.C
03-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Well,

unfortunately for me, I didn't get my draw. Luckily for me I live on Van Isle and will be leaving my muzzleloader home and go for my spring black bear with my bow.

Thanks very much for those who replied with helpful info, and all the PM's. The information will sure come in handy, whenever I do get that Griz Draw.;)

The Silent Stalker
04-04-2011, 11:29 PM
That video is nuts! Again, why are we not allowed to carry a side arm when out bow hunting? I did not get my grizz draw for this spring, but I am planning on going for a bruin this spring with my bow. I got one buddy with a grizz draw near Golden, and I'm hoping to be his back up shooter and videographer. Will post it if it goes well. Good luck to you man, get him!

ALPINE
04-26-2011, 10:43 AM
Lol I don't think me meant to shoot the water. Things go from cool to oh s##t fast with Grizz. Hopefully I can get another one this fall.

srupp
04-26-2011, 03:05 PM
hmmmm if you do your homework and are proficiant with a bow it will do just fine..be the hunt of a lifetime....now the important part is a good backup with a reasonably BIG rifle..because if the bear decides to come rather than go..things happen REALLY fast a bow distances..and a second arrow wont be happening..

Steven

Mountain Man
04-26-2011, 11:40 PM
I leave in 3 weeks and will be in 4-27 for 16 days. Archery hunt, unless a fat pig is feeding on a slide out of bow range. I dont want another average griz on the wall unless its a bow kill. With the bow im going to be looking for a shot opportunity more than anything. Calm, broadside, 40 yds or less. No shot will be taken unless im sure the shot is ethical. In the end im the guy who has to go look for it.

The stalk, the shot, the efficiency, no prob. The tracking afterwards is the tense part.

The hardest thing will be beating the bears nose in my mind, the last two springs I was camera man for my bow hunting partners and or clients guiding near Mcbride. These guys never killed Gbears, both guys could have with there guns but they stayed true to there goal. Several spot and stalk attempts were made and every time the Gbear's busted us do to scent, or two guys trying to be stealth enough in the mountain slides. The alder tangles made it so hard to be quiet.

I have the utmost confidence in my shooting, and my equipment, im going to need some luck to be able to get in close without being detected. Camo, scent control, wind, and silent feet are the key when doing a spot and stalk mountain grizzly hunt.

Goatguy knows what a dog can do ! Probly saved his life ! no joke !

1. A dog not just any dog, could be used in the post shot, not that I want my dog killed but lets face it you and I could walk by a wounded bear within feet in the thick jungle in most parts of reg 4. A dog could really be helpful.

2. Fix bladed broadheads are a must, mechanicals will work but when it come to dangerous game its fix blade all the way. G-5 Montec is what I will use. Just one of many.

3. Luminok, good idea in this case. Check em out on the tube, Once you make the shot if its not a pass through a Luminok may be able to confirm your shot placement as the bear runs away. Not fool proof, just good confirmation. If you know the Luminok is heart or lungs you have a dead bear. Wait a hour or more on dangerous game.

4. Back up shooter, good idea, make your back up shooter video the shot !!! Why ??? Well Luminok plus video could really aid you in replaying the shot over and over again in slow motion while you wait for your bear to expire. Ive done this many times as ive been filming most of my kills. 4 kills on video last fall alone while I was guiding and when you watch the shot over and over there is a lot that you can learn.

5. Last year guiding black bears I never left camp without my big black golf umbrella !!!! I hold the umbrella out in front and walk behind it with the shooter behind me and I have been able to walk right at bears as they think im another bear ! It works, not always, but with archery its a matter of closing the distance that last 10 yards and Ive made it happen. Just and idea thats all.

6. Watch bears walk on u-tube, its very important on dangerous game that when a bear is feeding that you wait until the front leg takes a step forward, when the front leg is back, the elbow covers 50% of the kill zone. Wait and let the bear take one more step to open up what is aprox a 18" kill. heart/lungs

7.When bears are hit they almost always spin and turn into the shot, generally trying to bite at what hit them, this can also help to tell how well the shot was placed.

8. Range finder !!! Absolutely 100% get the range. Dont pretend to know the distance, know the distance !!! 2-or 3 yards out on the estimations and now your looking for a bear that is not hit well, now you wont find there bear and if you do put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye. lol

9. Author Kevin van Tighem figures a bears nose is 5x more powerful than a bloodhounds ! Thats crazy. A simply windchecker or smoke in a bottle could help for a whopping 5 bucks.

I could go on and on, but enough rambling from me, Ive killed a few black bears with a bow and have guided several bowhunting clients and have seen a few results. I dont claim to know it all but maybe some of this stuff may help. If it comes to proper bow set up and choosing a good broadhead and arrow I would be willing to help ! That I do know !

If I shish kebob a gbear in May I will post the outcome.

kgriz
05-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Not that I agree with the policies but I'd be careful blatantly discussing "back-up shooters" on this site with many home-made CO's lurking....
Griz are obviously a LEH species....technically nobody is allowed to shoot your animal but the tag holder....obviously this happens lots for lots of |LEH species but happenning and putting it on the internet are two different things....if you want a backup shooter for safety because you are bowhunting...thats cool but if they have to shoot it in defence...you are supposed to report and it will be confiscated and you will be investigated.

Mountain Man
05-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Yep good point, you are a 100%.
This would be a first for me trying to take a grizz with my bow. I will have my defender with me and yes my partner will have a video camera and a rifle and a black bear tag.
If someone was to shoot a LEH animal in season, without the draw, it should be reported.

Not that I agree with the policies but I'd be careful blatantly discussing "back-up shooters" on this site with many home-made CO's lurking....
Griz are obviously a LEH species....technically nobody is allowed to shoot your animal but the tag holder....obviously this happens lots for lots of |LEH species but happenning and putting it on the internet are two different things....if you want a backup shooter for safety because you are bowhunting...thats cool but if they have to shoot it in defence...you are supposed to report and it will be confiscated and you will be investigated.