PDA

View Full Version : Taking large bucks!

Hunting/addict
12-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Hi...I was just curious what people felt was the most important aspects in taking large bucks consistently?

todbartell
12-28-2010, 02:47 PM
not shooting small ones? :D

frenchbar
12-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Time...and lots of it ..

steveo32
12-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Hunting area's that hold these so called big bucks:wink: And as much scouting as you can get in normally helps you knock down a few good bucks. or you could just join all the other guys and just pm dana:twisted:

Gateholio
12-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Find some guy in your area that kills lots of big bucks. Stake out his house early AM, and follow him to where he hunts.:-D

Sleep Robber
12-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Find some guy in your area that kills lots of big bucks. Stake out his house early AM, and follow him to where he hunts.:-D

What's your address !! :mrgreen: :wink:

Seriously though, you need to take the time to find out where the big guys like to hang out, and it might take a heck of a lot of time doing this, but if your prepared to do some serious walking, you "will find them". Shed hunting is a good alternative too, it has helped me in the past. I like to go where "some" others decline, as they think the terrain is too gnarly for them, and too long a hike. Big timber, up high, with a meadow like area close by is where i find to have most of my success for the whoppers. But hey, I've seen trophy bucks on the road going in to where I want to hunt too, so go figure.

nano
12-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Just head to clearwater:mrgreen:

kennyj
12-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Spend tons of time out there scouting and hunting,and don't shoot anything that isn't huge. Once your tag is filled your done. Be prepared to come home skunked when your buddies are bringing home decent bucks. Eventually it will pay off.
kenny

pnbrock
12-28-2010, 04:39 PM
well said bartell....

.300WSMImpact!
12-28-2010, 05:44 PM
hunting where there at, but spending the time to find where they are, time and more time scouting

MattB
12-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Time, weather and patience are the 3 biggest things when it comes to shooting big muleys!

palmer
12-28-2010, 05:58 PM
not shooting small ones? :D

Bartel hits the home run.....These words are 100% correct....you can not shoot large bucks if you spend your time shooting DINKS............

Ron.C
12-28-2010, 06:08 PM
1. Set goal. You need to know what isn't "large enough" before it shows up. Is your goal to best your personal biggest deer, or are you going for something much bigger.

2. Patience to sit on stand hour after hour, day after day waiting for him.

3. Perserverence to hike in farther or up higher "if required" then the other guy to find him

Marlin375
12-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Time spent on the trail of a band of bucks is critical to see what they like, where they like it and when they like it. after a few years you will start to recognize these "Deery" areas and learn how to get into them undetected.

As others have said be prepared to go season after season without filling your tag....time is really the only weapon you have, that can be used to gain an advantage against the Mature Muley buck.

Caveman
12-28-2010, 06:11 PM
To quote Dana............."Stop shooting Dinks"

Chuck
12-28-2010, 06:16 PM
hunting where there at, but spending the time to find where they are, time and more time scouting

This is good advice, but be aware of the braggadocio and lies you'll have to sort through in order to get there. If I told everybody how beautiful and wonderful my wife was....then someone would likely poach her asap - get my drift?

BCKID
12-28-2010, 06:38 PM
:wink:
shooting DINKS............
I thought DINKS meant--Double Income No Kids??

No wonder I can't shoot any big bucks, All these years.....

leadpillproductions
12-28-2010, 06:56 PM
What i do is find a good area and learn it well , and let the little one grow up

savagecanuck
12-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Best advice is find a good spot where you see multiple bucks and do not shoot he 2,3 and small 4 points .Let them mature.I have one spot where its right on the city limits and I have watched this one buck for the last 3 yrs.All 3 yrs he has been a 4 point and this year he was HUGE all 4 points where 8"-11" long and his main beam was very thick.Biggest Buck I have seen around region 8. I was bow hunting him and could not get in close enough so I hope we meet in year 4.Paitaince and knowing your area.I took my largest WT and Mule deer this year in my 30yrs of hunting and I don't drive further than an hour from home, all day hunts as well

born2hunt
12-28-2010, 08:35 PM
time and a whole lot of effort.. and being prepared..

dana
12-28-2010, 08:43 PM
I've yet to kill a monster buck while road hunting. You would think for a guy that is in the bush year round doing forestry work for 18 years, I would have accomplished the task of killing a monster from a road, but nope, I must be a damn $hitty roadhunter.

If I had to choose 1 of the many reasons why my friends and I see the success that we do on a consistant basis I'd have to simply answer, HARD WORK.

OutWest
12-28-2010, 09:48 PM
It starts in the off season with scouting. There are guys who get lucky every year and that will no doubt continue to happen. To do it consistently, just like dana said, HARD WORK! Our group does a number of scouting trips during the summer time. We've found a great area that holds great bucks but you don't get there by road! Each year we pass on many 4pts that most guys wouldn't hesitate whatsoever about pulling the trigger on. This year was no different. If you put in hard work and are willing to hold off on so-so bucks then you will be rewarded.

kyleklassen
12-28-2010, 10:36 PM
go somewhere nobody is or has been for a while.

showtimebc
12-28-2010, 11:36 PM
get off the beaten track, over the next hump, in the thick trash and keep your head up!

from what I've seen and what others have mentioned already, you gotta put your time in and it doesn't hurt to have some luck on your side.

BillyBull
12-29-2010, 02:08 AM
To have the consistency you have to know your area(s) and put the time in the field humping those hills, valleys, and mountains to really understand the land and where they will most likely travel and hide. Once you know this then your into the patience part of the game to wait it out and pass on that meduim size 4pt hoping that his older brother or mossy back uncle is just about to step out for a chance for you to spot him.

The keys to success are hard work, knowing the area and to have patience!

Good luck to all in the new year.

hunter1947
12-29-2010, 03:16 AM
First off is you got to know where there are good numbers of deer then I found you got to head out and spend time scouting the area out to see if there are good bucks in the area ,if not keep trying different areas till you find what you are looking for.

When I was a young man I would travel many miles away from the roads head up hi into no mans land this is where you will find big bucks if there in the area.

MattB
12-29-2010, 07:55 AM
How many guys that have replied to this thread actually consistently shoot big mule deer? Post up pics of your biggest bucks from the last 5 years and let the pictures do the talking. I'll do the same.

GoatGuy
12-29-2010, 08:14 AM
How many guys that have replied to this thread actually consistently shoot big mule deer? Post up pics of your biggest bucks from the last 5 years and let the pictures do the talking. I'll do the same.

Do you have to shoot big bucks to see them? :mrgreen:

GoatGuy
12-29-2010, 08:17 AM
First off is you got to know where there are good numbers of deer then I found you got to head out and spend time scouting the area out to see if there are good bucks in the area ,if not keep trying different areas till you find what you are looking for.

When I was a young man I would travel many miles away from the roads head up hi into no mans land this is where you will find big bucks if there in the area.

Hate to disagree with you but the areas with the biggest bucks often have lower density populations - age is the key.

swampthing
12-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Scouting is huge. You need to know where a big buck lives before the season starts. Dont waste your hunting season scouting.

green machine
12-29-2010, 10:09 AM
time,skill and luck. in that order

hunter1947
12-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Hate to disagree with you but the areas with the biggest bucks often have lower density populations - age is the key.

I have hunted big poulated areas of mule deer in the Headly area and me and my hunting partners took some bigger then average bucks from this area year after year ,a few of them scored in the hi 170 low 180 range.

Here are a couple that scored in the hi 170 to low 180 area in a hi poulated area for mule deer in the Headly area ,hunting friend took at lest 4 others that scored around the same .
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Image121.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=22037)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/PC270057.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=22011&ppuser=941)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Image13.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=22038)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Image14.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=22039)

BigBuck155
12-29-2010, 09:01 PM
this thread will help posted by dana

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=8146&highlight=shooting+bucks

dino
12-29-2010, 09:36 PM
I've yet to kill a monster buck while road hunting. You would think for a guy that is in the bush year round doing forestry work for 18 years, I would have accomplished the task of killing a monster from a road, but nope, I must be a damn $hitty roadhunter.

If I had to choose 1 of the many reasons why my friends and I see the success that we do on a consistant basis I'd have to simply answer, HARD WORK.
I quickly spun my spotter over and couldn’t believe my eyes – it was indeed MassNTrash! Without wasting a second, we formulated a plan of attack but when I reached into the truck I was absolutely shocked to discover…….AUUUGGGHHH, NO RIFLE!!
Sounds like you were pretty close to your truck when you saw massntrash. Thats not road hunting but sounds close to it.:mrgreen:

dana
12-29-2010, 09:43 PM

LMAO! Careful, you might just get accused of "the braggadocio and lies". Don't want some poor sap needing to sort through that in order to get there now do we?
Funny ain't it how some people still don't get it. They think it's easy. They think that theres a magical place that 180 inchers grow like tulips in a garden, where you can pluck 200 inchers like pedals off a rose. A land of enchantment and fairy dust.

dana
12-29-2010, 10:02 PM
I quickly spun my spotter over and couldn’t believe my eyes – it was indeed MassNTrash! Without wasting a second, we formulated a plan of attack but when I reached into the truck I was absolutely shocked to discover…….AUUUGGGHHH, NO RIFLE!!
Sounds like you were pretty close to your truck when you saw massntrash. Thats not road hunting but sounds close to it.:mrgreen:

I personally wouldn't put glassing a buck on a mountain from a road and then crawling up the said mountain, post holing it in knee deep snow, and then killing the said buck 5 hours later at the top of the mountain in the same catagory as road hunting. And no, we weren't just driving down the road and lucked out and spotted him like you alluded to in another thread. You do realize I'd watched and filmed this buck for 6 years? You do realize we found 3 matched sets of sheds and 1 single shed off this buck? These sheds were found in the years previous to killing the buck. Do you really think that we just lucked into this buck like some road hunter driving down some road?

shed-hunter1
12-29-2010, 10:04 PM
about the population thing my best area for biggest bucks when i have took one was usally the only deer i saw all day just a thought

GoatGuy
12-29-2010, 10:07 PM
I have hunted big poulated areas of mule deer in the Headly area and me and my hunting partners took some bigger then average bucks from this area year after year ,a few of them scored in the hi 170 low 180 range.

Here are a couple that scored in the hi 170 to low 180 area in a hi poulated area for mule deer in the Headly area ,hunting friend took at lest 4 others that scored around the same .
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Image121.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=22037)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/PC270057.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=22011&ppuser=941)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Image13.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=22038)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Image14.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=22039)
Nice deer, guess it just gets back to a hunter's definition of big. :wink: The areas I'm thinking of have produced lots of 200+ bucks over the years and most of those spots you're lucky to see a handful of deer in a day.

dana
12-29-2010, 10:13 PM
If you research the B&C Record Books you'll see a trend of truly monster deer coming from some select areas. If you research out those areas, you'll find that most have low deer populations and vast areas of wilderness. The biggest one to come to my mind in recent and past history is the Arizona Strip. Very very low deer numbers. Hunters can go an entire week and only see a handfull of deer. Yet it has produced and currently is producing the biggest bucks on the planet.

GoatGuy
12-29-2010, 10:19 PM
If you research the B&C Record Books you'll see a trend of truly monster deer coming from some select areas. If you research out those areas, you'll find that most have low deer populations and vast areas of wilderness. The biggest one to come to my mind in recent and past history is the Arizona Strip. Very very low deer numbers. Hunters can go an entire week and only see a handfull of deer. Yet it has produced and currently is producing the biggest bucks on the planet.

Sounds familiar, that's when the head game starts.

dana
12-29-2010, 10:28 PM
The link that was posted up to my old thread has some cool quotes in it that I just can't help but repost.
Love this one from MattB
"Who passes on a 184" muley, who's strong antler scores over 90", if both sides matched we're talking a 200" typical....and Steve filmed this buck with a video camera with no image stabilization. Looking at the video it does not shake one bit, no buck fever....this guy has ice water flowing through his veins!"

Ice water in the veins, LMAO! TOO FUNNY. Especially only a few weeks later it was Matt that was taking a dip in some very icy water.

"Now, Im working on taking the next step in the trophy mule deer hunting world. And thats moving from the solid trophy bucks, up to the bucks in the world class category. Im talking about typicals that NET 190"+ and Non-typicals that NET anywhere over 210". Im still unsure if i can keep my finger off the trigger though, there's always those bucks that have interesting racks or just look damn nice! And my firing pin may strike primer on one of them this year, you just dont know until you see 'em!"

The Future is here and now! :mrgreen:

dana
12-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Sounds familiar, that's when the head game starts.
There is no doubt that trophy mule deer hunting is mental! 99% is a head game. You win the battle in your head, you will kill big bucks.

dino
12-29-2010, 10:33 PM
I personally wouldn't put glassing a buck on a mountain from a road and then crawling up the said mountain, post holing it in knee deep snow, and then killing the said buck 5 hours later at the top of the mountain in the same catagory as road hunting. And no, we weren't just driving down the road and lucked out and spotted him like you alluded to in another thread. You do realize I'd watched and filmed this buck for 6 years? You do realize we found 3 matched sets of sheds and 1 single shed off this buck? These sheds were found in the years previous to killing the buck. Do you really think that we just lucked into this buck like some road hunter driving down some road?

I know you work hard bud but Im just saying that it sounds like you were pulled over while one of your buddys spotted your buck. It could have been anyone pulled over there to glass and do the same. That is road hunting to me even if you did do your homework and a bunch of footwork before you got to that point. There is no question of your hunting skills Im just telling you what it sounds like when you tell your story of massntrash. Im not trying to get under your skin.Just telling you what it sounds like. Im sure most guys could not have made a successful stalk like you did.

dana
12-29-2010, 10:46 PM
There isn't a place in this province where I'd be naive to think that someone else couldn't be there too. Heck, you see the stories all the time on HBC. Guy plans big backpack sheep hunt. Hikes 3 days to find the highcountry basin full of hunters. That is hunting. Sure there could have been other hunters glassing that mountain that day. But guess what, all the pussies had gone home. The last day of the season, Dec 10th and we were the only ones still at it. The homework was in place and it came to it's fruitation. If you call that road hunting, then so be it. How do you get to your hunting spots? Do you walk from your house? No? Then every time you drive to your hunting spot and then hike up some remote mountain are you road hunting? I guess you have a strange definition of road hunting.

dino
12-29-2010, 10:56 PM
When Im outa site of the truck then Im not road hunting any more. Those are the rules. LOL. Sorry about the thread steeling hunting addict.. By the way I can walk out of my cabin and hunt but I did drive to get there.:mrgreen:Im done here.

dana
12-29-2010, 11:01 PM
So I park on an end landing of a clearcut and hike 8 hours to get into the alpine. Once at the top, I can glass down the mountain and see my truck glimming in the sunshine. Am I therefore roadhunting? Your rules dude. Not mine.

hunter1947
12-30-2010, 04:36 AM
The pictures I posted earlier these deer are from the hi elevations there are no big bucks in this area I hunted in the summer months ,the bucks in the picture I posted where shot in mid Nov at lower elevations ,the elevation that the deer where shot was still hi 3500 foot elevation..
I spent years scouting the area out in the late summer months for big bucks and only saw dinky little ones I called them locale deer..

We would start getting these big bucks in the first two weeks of Nov they would come down from the hi elevations I could see the mountains where there summer range was.

The biggest one that my hunting friends took out of this area was 188 and there where bigger then average bucks every where and i did see a few in the years I hunted this area that where in the 190+ range.

In the month of Nov most of the bucks we shot we could drive to them only a stone throw from the dirt road.

Like Dana said if you want a cranker animal of any sort you have to discipline yourself into not shooting any thing that is above average.

Like this year when I wanted a big 340+ bull elk I had to let 5 legal 6 points bulls walk in order to shoot the one I was after at the end I got nothing ,if you do shoot something that is carrying a legal rack on it then you can't shoot the big one you want.

I really had to bit my tong this years hunting when I had these bull elk in my glasses like goat guy said you have to convince yourself that thats not the one you want and let it walk..

Husky7mm
12-30-2010, 04:07 PM
LURK ON THE EDGE OF CITY LIMITS AND RURAL SUBDIVISIONS AND SHOOT THE BIG TOWN BUCKS WITH A CROSS BOW:lol::tongue: BIG BUCK MAGAZINE HERE WE COME!

MattB
12-30-2010, 06:51 PM
The link that was posted up to my old thread has some cool quotes in it that I just can't help but repost.
Love this one from MattB
"Who passes on a 184" muley, who's strong antler scores over 90", if both sides matched we're talking a 200" typical....and Steve filmed this buck with a video camera with no image stabilization. Looking at the video it does not shake one bit, no buck fever....this guy has ice water flowing through his veins!"

Ice water in the veins, LMAO! TOO FUNNY. Especially only a few weeks later it was Matt that was taking a dip in some very icy water.

"Now, Im working on taking the next step in the trophy mule deer hunting world. And thats moving from the solid trophy bucks, up to the bucks in the world class category. Im talking about typicals that NET 190"+ and Non-typicals that NET anywhere over 210". Im still unsure if i can keep my finger off the trigger though, there's always those bucks that have interesting racks or just look damn nice! And my firing pin may strike primer on one of them this year, you just dont know until you see 'em!"

The Future is here and now! :mrgreen:

Lol that is pretty funny and also pretty ironic! I don't even remember writing any of that haha.

Hunting/addict
12-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Well I must say there has been a lot of excellent advice on here. I am really impressed with Danas previous thread and believe it is bang on. There are always guys that take the occasional big buck on the road...there has to be as there are so many people doing it the odds are there that big buck and hunter will eventually meet!

I dont necessily believe the biggest bucks are always in the most remote country especially in late season. The allure of a doe in heat has too much power. I was with a friend many years ago and he scored on a 243 inch mulie. It was not in remote country but it also wasnt a totally easy hunt. We still put in lots of time and the big bucks use the terrain and thickets to their advantage. I find the old mulie of yester year living in wide open terrain is a thing of the past to some extent. Big mulies are tough to score on because like white tail they have decided that steep , thick and noisy terrain is beneficial to their survival.

Some day I hope to break the 170s barrier I seem to be caught in and find a real hog. I have seen them but havent put it all together. I guess I should quit pulling the trigger on the 170s....ha...ha

dana
12-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Well I must say there has been a lot of excellent advice on here. I am really impressed with Danas previous thread and believe it is bang on. There are always guys that take the occasional big buck on the road...there has to be as there are so many people doing it the odds are there that big buck and hunter will eventually meet!

I dont necessily believe the biggest bucks are always in the most remote country especially in late season. The allure of a doe in heat has too much power. I was with a friend many years ago and he scored on a 243 inch mulie. It was not in remote country but it also wasnt a totally easy hunt. We still put in lots of time and the big bucks use the terrain and thickets to their advantage. I find the old mulie of yester year living in wide open terrain is a thing of the past to some extent. Big mulies are tough to score on because like white tail they have decided that steep , thick and noisy terrain is beneficial to their survival.

Some day I hope to break the 170s barrier I seem to be caught in and find a real hog. I have seen them but havent put it all together. I guess I should quit pulling the trigger on the 170s....ha...ha

Got any pics of that 243 incher that you might be willing to share with us? A 240 incher is my dream buck. I just gotta stop shooting rat 200 inchers and get serious about killing a true monster. :)

BCrams
12-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Got any pics of that 243 incher that you might be willing to share with us? A 240 incher is my dream buck. I just gotta stop shooting rat 200 inchers and get serious about killing a true monster. :)

And here I mark the day you said this. I'll help and hold you to that trash 240+ :-D !! Its too bad that one buck didn't hang around a bit longer rather than trying to get the doe back into the thick stuff in '05 (or was it '06??).

For all others reading into this thread, all good tips on here given by everyone. Put a combination of them together for different hunting scenarios and the odds increase for a big mule deer encounter.

Weather such as snow for prime tracking / glassing conditions.
Location such as places where bucks can grow old and achieve their full genetic potential.
Location in the sense one needs to be able to identify big buck holes whether it is in high hunting pressure or low hunting pressure areas.
Hard work, persistence and perseverance.
Passing up smaller bucks.
Time afield. Really get to know and understand mule deer and mule deer habitat.
Seasonal timing for all of the above greatly enhances your odds of success.
Teamwork. Often teamwork between hunting partners leads to the taking of a big buck. Glassing areas and splitting up allows hunters to cover a huge area and that night notes are compared as to where the sighting(s) or sign of big bucks occuring and everyone in camp can converge the next day within the area. Odds increase substantially that someone is going to pull the trigger on a big one.

aggiehunter
12-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Region 3..really deep snow....snowmobile...6.5 creedmore..Dec. 9th....

Hunting/addict
12-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Can you view my photos? The 243 incher is posted there. if not I can try to attach here again. If your shooting 200 inchers you should be very happy!

Whonnock Boy
12-31-2010, 12:47 AM
I viewed your profile. I did not see where I could view your photos. I would like to see the picture as well. :)

JDR
12-31-2010, 01:02 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=21256&cat=500&ppuser=20122

Gateholio
12-31-2010, 01:02 AM
Region 3..really deep snow....snowmobile...6.5 creedmore..Dec. 9th....

What rifle in 6.5CM you shooting?

Whonnock Boy
12-31-2010, 01:13 AM
OMG!! What a pig!

hunter1947
12-31-2010, 03:58 AM
That one buck the non typical is one big rack ,have you got a picture of his head mount ???.

pnbrock
12-31-2010, 08:03 AM
i hate that guy....nice freakin deer

dana
12-31-2010, 03:01 PM
I seem to remember the story of that buck was in Big Buck Magazine one year. Shot in the Clinton area IIRC.

deer nut
12-31-2010, 03:05 PM
Love that old truck with the "pizza cutter" tires Hunter 1947!! You've earned your stripes honestly!

.330 Dakota
12-31-2010, 03:36 PM
They hang out where nobody likes to hike to...way back, and yeah dont shoot the little ones

Hunting/addict
12-31-2010, 04:19 PM
I seem to remember the story of that buck was in Big Buck Magazine one year. Shot in the Clinton area IIRC.

Yes...a while back now 1996....I hope to relive the moment some day again....lol

Orangethunder
01-01-2011, 10:20 PM
I think the key is to get a really expensive ATV and ride it all over. Swamps, alpine, streams and even roads. Have no respect for the environment whatsoever and you'll definitely get a monster. You should probably drink lots of beer at the same time and be sure to leave those super heavy empties all over for others to clean up. Physical fitness and scouting are overrated. If you can't be bothered to buy an ATV you should drive your pickup truck all over. Nothing says your a great hunter more than shooting deer from the road. All talent man, all talent...:twisted:

Hunting/addict
01-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Lots of good info.....looks like we need to put the leather to the ground and definetly get better at passing on the smaller bucks. i find it can be tricky to confirm exactly the size of a good buck when you have to make a decision fast or you see them in thick timber and are only getting glimpses and not much time to score them. I guess if its atrue monster you wont have to decide if its big enough....i can only continue to put in the time.

paw325
01-05-2011, 12:48 PM
It's been said by other posters but I'll reiterate. If you want to shoot a 200 inch buck ya can't shoot these ones.....

Sorry for the poor pic quality it was windy as hell.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/blustrysept2010011.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/blustrysept2010014.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/blustrysept2010018.jpg

blindguy
01-05-2011, 04:06 PM
good enough pics to tell it would be hard not to pull the trigger but your rite you would have to pass em up to get that 200 class buck!

huntinnut
01-06-2011, 08:27 AM
For me, I find that sticking to my goal, and properly identifying a buck as meeting those criteria, the hardest part. I really do want to get bucks that gross over 180, and i'm not shooting another one until I know it meets my goal. but I'm sometimes conflicted with bucks that are really impressive, but don't score that well.

I'm a sucker for width, symmetry, dark horns and maturity. Width up top doesn't add to the score, but to me it looks more impressive. Short main beams are also hard to judge. I have no problem passing on a 160-170 class thin-horned young deer, or a narrow buck. Now show me a mid 160's to low 170's class buck that's 27-28 inches wide and heavy, and I get all excited and start convincing myself why I should shoot it, even though deep down I do know that it probably isn't what I had originally set out to find. Especially if I only have a few seconds to decide!

BigSlapper
01-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Time, focus and consistency ... and always have a game plan you stick too.

Weatherby Fan
01-06-2011, 02:27 PM
The caption on Dana's post by Mike Eastman I think somes it up best and this is what I've learned over the years of chasing mule deer,timing seems to be the key factor,I always hunt alpine early in the season and start my scouting late June as the snow receeds and hunt the alpine until you cant get in there due to depth of snow,then I get back at the mule deer in the rut which is closely followed by their wintering grounds.

Where do they summer,where are they during the rut,where do they winter.
Those are the 3 timing factors I look at for Mule deer.

Scouting at the end of June in the alpine for 4 days one time my older brother and I seen 93 bucks ,when I tell people about that trip I get called a liar lol but if your willing to work for it the deer are there.

I tend to prefer remote alpine basins or where you don't see so many people,one place we backpack into is a 17 kilometer hike,scouting in late August we found a 200 inch mule deer bedded down under a tree,we watched him for an hour or more until he fed into the timber,came back opening day and worked the area for 3 days but he was no where to be found,lots of smaller 4 points but we never shot any deer,we go back there most every year and see no people and lots of bucks but haven't come across that big a buck since in that area,we know their are big deer in there but if you want a so called Boone and Crocket mule deer you have to pass up alot of smaller deer.
Timing,spend lots of time at it ,scouting and hunting,and know what your looking for,know the difference between a 160 class buck and 190 class buck,and as hard as it might be refrain from shooting the first bonehead you see,it took me quite a few years to refrain from doing that and to learn the difference of antler size.
Mike Eastman and David Long have some very good books and DVDs out on rack bracketing and telling you how to recognise a quality buck when you see one.
Always remember the trophy is in the eye of the beholder,if your happy with the buck you just shot than thats all that matters in the end !

saskbooknut
01-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Key to seeing large Mule Deer bucks in Saskatchewan - not having a valid licence. And we have some utterly magnificent Mule Deer as well as great Whitetails.
I have seen more 200+ MD bucks when I only had an Antelope tag or a Whitetail tag in my pocket. One I crept up on, bedded nose into the wind, in a little sandhill hollow carpeted with junipers. I searched around for a little pebble, tossed it and hit him in the butt. He bounced off 70 yards or so, and looked back to see what it was that scared him.
We only get drawn for an either sex tag about once every four or five years.
In the open country of the sandhills you can often glass the big ones at a mile or two.

Will
01-30-2011, 12:51 AM
:shock::shock::shock:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Bigbuck3.jpg

Yep hard work........can't shoot em from the couch:-D

bc cooker
01-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Dana's right!! Going to work one day a few years back and see 3 bucks, 1 pretty nice one. I didn't know that then, it was my first year hunting muleys. Had my gun but didn't take it. My excuse then was I waiting for my brother to come up.....wanted to get our first deer together. So I passed on that one. Dana snapped a bunch of pics...good ones. Then he patted me on the back and said" you'll shoot good bucks with that attitude". I am by no means a large buck harvester but I understand what he meant.......be prepared to eat your tag!!! Dana knows!:-D

Singleshotneeded
01-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Outside of a big 6 point muley that I shot off the Chilliwack River Road years ago, on an LEH permit, almost all the big bucks I've shot were in small mountain meadows/clearings surrounded by timber. Yours truly was hidden on the edge of the timber that was downwind from the meadow...they thought they were all alone until they got a sudden gut ache!

dino
01-30-2011, 01:25 PM
:shock::shock::shock:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Bigbuck3.jpg

Yep hard work........can't shoot em from the couch:-D
maybe you can! theres a picket fence in the background.

Husky7mm
02-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Outside of a big 6 point muley that I shot off the Chilliwack River Road years ago, on an LEH permit, almost all the big bucks I've shot were in small mountain meadows/clearings surrounded by timber. Yours truly was hidden on the edge of the timber that was downwind from the meadow...they thought they were all alone until they got a sudden gut ache!
Post a pic, it could be a huge blacktail. When was deer on leh in reg 2?

rides bike to work
08-31-2015, 10:45 AM
Bringing this one back from the dead to kick off the mulie madness. I'm not a trophy guy but am planning on holding out for a 4 point this year. Post tips a pics here

goinghunting
08-31-2015, 04:13 PM
My opinion the key to killing big bucks is less about location then some like to think because big bucks are were ever you find them and more about time put in and the ability to eat tag soup if you dont find the right buck.

Fisher-Dude
08-31-2015, 04:44 PM
My opinion the key to killing big bucks is less about location then some like to think because big bucks are were ever you find them and more about time put in and the ability to eat tag soup if you dont find the right buck.

Agreed. They can be anywhere at any time. Shot my biggest whitetail at 11:30 in the morning when I had basically set my sights on going home for a nap after a really dead morning of hunting. Ya never know where/when, and that's what adds to the fun of it.

Sofa King
08-31-2015, 06:10 PM
tunkwa, Princeton, and Clearwater.

Muliechaser
08-31-2015, 06:50 PM
tunkwa, princeton, and clearwater.

lol..........

HarryToolips
08-31-2015, 08:43 PM
Agreed. They can be anywhere at any time. Shot my biggest whitetail at 11:30 in the morning when I had basically set my sights on going home for a nap after a really dead morning of hunting. Ya never know where/when, and that's what adds to the fun of it.
was it a full moon/clear skies when Ya nailed him??

zippermouth
08-31-2015, 09:02 PM
I cant recall reading any posts from the mule deer slayer recently. dana you still come on hbc? I have learned a fair bit reading his posts, even learned how to burp :mrgreen:

olympia
08-31-2015, 11:01 PM

I tried that gate, but I lost you at the 17km mark of Hurley fsr

wideopenthrottle
09-01-2015, 08:05 AM
not that I have killed huge mulie bucks but it helps to have a couple of white tails in the freezer if you wanna have patience for the big mulie...

Fisher-Dude
09-01-2015, 08:15 AM
was it a full moon/clear skies when Ya nailed him??

Pissed heavy rain all morning, I was soaked right through. He had to move mid day for a bite to eat and a drink, no doubt, after being holed up all morning.

Mount turned out pretty good, and the freezer filled up too! ;)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/HPIM1291.jpg

GoatGuy
09-01-2015, 09:21 AM
Pissed heavy rain all morning, I was soaked right through.

Window smashed on the truck?

Fisher-Dude
09-01-2015, 09:27 AM
Window smashed on the truck?

You need some new material.

bighornbob
09-01-2015, 11:17 AM
You need some new material.
why change the material when the old stuff is fricken funny as hell

Ferenc
09-01-2015, 11:20 AM
That's a nice one FD... Take him with the Sako

HarryToolips
09-01-2015, 12:18 PM
Pissed heavy rain all morning, I was soaked right through. He had to move mid day for a bite to eat and a drink, no doubt, after being holed up all morning.

Mount turned out pretty good, and the freezer filled up too! ;)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/HPIM1291.jpg

Wicked nice buck... ya I've nailed one before during heavy rains, right as soon as it stops pouring is a great time to get out..

Fisher-Dude
09-01-2015, 01:59 PM
That's a nice one FD... Take him with the Sako

No, got that one with the Husky - another fine Euro-gun! :D

M.Dean
09-01-2015, 02:35 PM
You have to have a Legal, Valid Deer tag in November to kill a huge Buck! The meat hunters will shoot a decent 4 point Buck, but you have to pass on him, and that's real hard to do! You have to pass on Bucks you swear are going to make Book, but after glassing them for a good 5 or 10 minutes, there not! You have to pass on Bucks that will keep you awake at night, your positive that one was Book, but it wasn't!!! Then, late in the season, blowing snow and 25 below zero, your in a blizzard and 4 long miles back to the quad, and there it is!!! He's standing in the first glimpse of daylight, does all around him, and he doesn't care at all about you! Take aim, Bingo, he's down, and when you walk up to him you'll have to yell at the does to get them to leave him, and there's your Massive Mule Deer Buck! Hell, anyone can do that, Eh!!! Good Luck out There!

Fisher-Dude
09-01-2015, 04:42 PM
You have to have a Legal, Valid Deer tag in November to kill a huge Buck!

First of all, you need a valid mule deer buck season in November.

Those are slowly disappearing, not because they affect mule deer numbers, but because a certain vocal minority of hunters has successfully lobbied to shut seasons down.

M.Dean
09-02-2015, 07:34 AM
First of all, you need a valid mule deer buck season in November.

Those are slowly disappearing, not because they affect mule deer numbers, but because a certain vocal minority of hunters has successfully lobbied to shut seasons down. ??? I didn't hear about this??? Where has the 4 point season been closed?

Fisher-Dude
09-02-2015, 09:05 AM
??? I didn't hear about this??? Where has the 4 point season been closed?

Used to be any buck until Nov 30th. Now we have to fend off people who think we should lose the 4 pt/10th closure.

Trust me, there are special interest groups that sit at the regulations table that want nothing more than to close YOUR season so that THEY get more. Just look at the group on here that says we shouldn't have a rifle hunt during the rut...

M.Dean
09-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Used to be any buck until Nov 30th. Now we have to fend off people who think we should lose the 4 pt/10th closure.
Just look at the group on here that says we shouldn't have a rifle hunt during the rut... People on this site don't want a Rifle Season during the Rut??? Are they MAD??? Any names come to mind off the top of your head there FD? I know that I for one would just love to have a "Gentlemen s Debate" on the subject of Not Allowing a Rifle Season during the Rut!!! Dear God Man, my mind's making up new swear words just hearing about this!!! Let me At'em!!! How in hell do they expect me to get into the B.C. Record Book before I die if I can't hunt during the Rut??? How??? You guys tell me!!! Blood pressures way up, veins in my face are pop'in out, slobber all over my key board, and now everyone in this lineup at my bank are staring at me scream'in at my lap top!!! Can someone phone 911!!! And quickly Please!!! Get me some names, Please!

Buck
09-02-2015, 03:05 PM
People on this site don't want a Rifle Season during the Rut??? Are they MAD??? Any names come to mind off the top of your head there FD? I know that I for one would just love to have a "Gentlemen s Debate" on the subject of Not Allowing a Rifle Season during the Rut!!! Dear God Man, my mind's making up new swear words just hearing about this!!! Let me At'em!!! How in hell do they expect me to get into the B.C. Record Book before I die if I can't hunt during the Rut??? How??? You guys tell me!!! Blood pressures way up, veins in my face are pop'in out, slobber all over my key board, and now everyone in this lineup at my bank are staring at me scream'in at my lap top!!! Can someone phone 911!!! And quickly Please!!! Get me some names, Please!

You just have to be at the right place at the right time.Does not have to be during the rut.:razz:

M.Dean
09-02-2015, 03:21 PM
You just have to be at the right place at the right time.Does not have to be during the rut.:razz: And a rough idea of the "Right Place" and the "Right Time" would be??? But your right, to a extent, I've seen gagger's at different times of the year most defiantly, But! I've seen more gagger's during the Rut! And, if anyone try's to stop the Rifle Rut Hunt up here, I will burn cross's on there lawn, I will put dog poo in there mail box, and believe me do, I will put them on my ever growing "Ignore List"!!!

ACB
09-02-2015, 03:31 PM

Trust me, there are special interest groups that sit at the regulations table that want nothing more than to close YOUR season so that THEY get more. Just look at the group on here that says we shouldn't have a rifle hunt during the rut...
Ya, probably fly fishing only guys.They like to do everything with feathers.

Rayne
09-04-2015, 08:16 PM
Hey guys I'm in penticton for the weekend anyone know of any fsr roads around here to hunt on. Or any fsr in Princeton. Any help would be much appreciated

M.Dean
09-04-2015, 09:34 PM
Hey guys I'm in penticton for the weekend anyone know of any fsr roads around here to hunt on. Or any fsr in Princeton. Any help would be much appreciated Only road that comes to mind is the "Whip Saw" just out of Princeton? Was up there a few times years ago, never got skunked!

Rayne
09-05-2015, 07:05 AM
Awesome thanks a lot.

Rayne
09-05-2015, 08:32 AM
Was it mostly whitetail or muleys?

M.Dean
09-06-2015, 05:40 AM
Was it mostly whitetail or muleys? Mule Deer Bucks, and lots of them!

Wentrot
09-06-2015, 06:39 AM
Mule Deer Bucks, and lots of them!

Barely any people either!!!!!

digger dogger
09-06-2015, 07:51 AM
I have hunted whipsaw also, didnt get skunked either.
Yes there is a number of people in the area, get out of the vehicle and pound some bush.
Mule deer, is all i saw when i was there.
Buy a w/tail tag anyways, those buggers are being found everywhere.
Goodluck

Weatherby Fan
09-06-2015, 08:35 AM
There's the odd Whitetail up Whipsaw as my older brother shot a 5 point up there, but yes mostly Mule Deer and the odd Elk, it does get busy up there for sure.

Rayne
09-06-2015, 07:56 PM
Up there all day yesterday and today. No bucks today seen 5 yesterday just couldn't get a shot off with the bow thought they were farther than they were. Live and learn. Anyone have any recommendations how far up to go as it's extremely thick or just start marching?

dino
09-06-2015, 08:08 PM
Hey guys I'm in penticton for the weekend anyone know of any fsr roads around here to hunt on. Or any fsr in Princeton. Any help would be much appreciated

Karmi rd in penticton

M.Dean
09-07-2015, 09:49 AM
I remember seeing a cabin beside the road up there some where's, and if I remember correctly, there was a grave marker near by? There was what looked like a wooden ladder to the top of a "Wooden" chimney coming out of the roof of the cabin? Wasn't till later someone on here told me that's how they'd get into the cabin when the snow was 10 feet deep!!! Now that's rough'in it!

Sofa King
09-07-2015, 09:53 AM

go through naramata and continue on the chute lake road all the way to Kelowna.
endless areas to explore through there.