PDA

View Full Version : Hunting: so what did ya learn? 2010

Buckmeister
12-28-2010, 02:04 PM
I posted a similar thread a few years ago and this is the sequel.

No matter how inexperienced or seasoned you are, I believe every hunter learns something NEW every season they go out. Or, perhaps an old theroy you have has been reinforced through this last years hunting outings. This is your chance to share. Lets spread the knowledge so we can all pick up a few pointers and become better hunters. And don't be afraid to share something that sounds redundant or is common knowledge, if its new to you, post it up!

My turn first:
As I shared several weeks ago, I heard but did not see a whitetail buck fight going on not to far from me. I had rattled and woke them from their beds, they found each other and fought. It was a BATTLE. It sounded so awesome. I was trapped in the middle of some blowdown and could not easily or quickly move about. If I had a clearer path, and as others on this site have said, I would have moved as quickly as possible to find these bucks while they were fighting and would probably not noticed me coming in. Something to keep in mind for the future.

Sleep Robber
12-28-2010, 02:11 PM
I've come to learn " AGAIN" that once you think you've glassed that area, and there are no animals to be seen, glass again !!!

But the biggest learning curve I go through every year is "PATIENCE". I need to be willing to wait for the right oppurtunity, instead of scaring my game away by trying to be too sneaky too soon.

frenchbar
12-28-2010, 02:15 PM
I've come to learn " AGAIN" that once you think you've glassed that area, and there are no animals to be seen, glass again !!!

But the biggest learning curve I go through every year is "PATIENCE". I need to be willing to wait for the right oppurtunity, instead of scaring my game away by trying to be too sneaky too soon.
patience for sure ..it takes one a while to get it:) once you find it ..more success.

IronNoggin
12-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Biggest learning curve for me this year was in regards to Blacktails, specifically their "home range" Before this season, I believed most of what I had read and my personal experience supported that - these Island bucks have a rather smallish home range. Like in the neighborhood of but a few square miles.

BUT...

The Biggie my Wing Man and I pursued so damn hard for six plus weeks traveled a LOT further than I ever would have guessed. He moved well over eight miles as the crow flies down the hills and out onto the flats! Perhaps this was due to his tremendous size and the drive to visit as many "Ladies" as possible (which he well did!). I simply don't know. But his wanderings were well in excess of anything I would have thought possible. And yes, we were absolutely certain this was the same buck.

Hunting is a constant Learning Curve IMO. This year proved no different.

Cheers,
Nog

nano
12-28-2010, 02:30 PM
I have learned to get out and hike more and when looking for game, take your time and look for an ear of a tail. Not just the whole animal.

haligan
12-28-2010, 03:03 PM
I re-learned to never leave my gun anywhere but by my side. Missed a great opportunity at a buck 20 ft away, while answering nature's call

waistdeep
12-28-2010, 03:17 PM
45/70 GG's with cast bullets are not good for moose at over 300 yards :(. Stocked a bull through the tight trees for a km to finaly get a shot and when I got my chance I was standing with the wrong gun and wrong ammo, bummer.

Take the darn .338 next time duffus

newhunterette
12-28-2010, 03:19 PM
what I learned: Not to be so dang giving and understanding - I gave up every opportunity that came available for me to get out there this season.

why am I so nice...........................? and would do it all again if I had too.

Actually, I learned this season: how to load and fire my excalibur Vixen II so I am ready for archery season. I also learned how to scout and track down a black bear. That spring bear trip was incredible for me, even if we didn't get to harvest one, I learned so much about locating them and watching them. I see a definite big blackie in my midst of this upcoming season.

finngun
12-28-2010, 04:19 PM
i learned how curious mule deer can be.. just before dark i went to walk around our camp.. and coming back..i noticed 2 set of fresh deer tracs in snow close to a camp..
my hunting buddy was chopping wood making big campfire ,and between fire and me was deer standing in bush clearly watching my buddy his activities..
it was almost totally dark,only way icould see deer was light of campfire..
deer was antless, so nothing to shoot,but whole thing was so hilarious to me..
[sorry my writing mistakes,but i try hard]

.330 Dakota
12-28-2010, 04:30 PM
I learned that my newest toy (330 Dakota) kills like the hammer of Thor

kbb
12-28-2010, 05:23 PM
learned to listen to the squirrels, they kick up a fuss and bitch alot when something is under their trees.

.300WSMImpact!
12-28-2010, 05:42 PM
I learned the more you scout the more you have opportunity to see record class animals

Buckmeister
12-28-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm really starting to recognize the type of terrain a big deer is likely to be hiding in. What is unnerving is also knowing this is where the grizz and wolf and big cats like to hang around too sometimes. Not liking hunting alone in those areas.

Yotapup
12-28-2010, 07:24 PM

I've learned my cousin/ex hunting partner will never learn this rule ^

As for my own lessons learned, well this was my first year hunting, and I learned too much to list with more to learn. But most importantly, I learned I love the sport and can't wait to see what next year will have in store for me. :D

leadpillproductions
12-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Not to push an animal to quickly after the shot . I thought i seen my elk fall down , started over to him never saw him again lots of blood . Lost blood trail still sick to this day about it was the biggest elk i have shot .TAKE YOUR TIME .

adamgarbett
12-28-2010, 07:36 PM
I learnt to look behind you ALOT as I was seconds and 7 yards away from becoming cat food. Aside from that I learnt that time and experience in the bush is a priceless thing

dana
12-28-2010, 09:05 PM
It was enforced in my mind yet again this year when the hunting conditions are above and beyond tuff, giving up is not an option.

As for what I learned, when a buck disappears for numerous years, you can't cross him off the hit list thinking that he is catscat. He might just turn up again when you least expect it.

highcountry88
12-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Learned not to give up.... I have never nailed a buck in 4 point season.... I was tired out after preseason scouting, setting up tree stands and then not getting a buck. I thought to myself...."If I didn't get a buck in any-buck season, what are the chances of me getting a 4 point in late season? My oldest son said "Dad, come on out for one last weekend for 4 points"..... The result was my first 4 point mulie....Next year, I am booking my holidays in 4 point season....

BromBones
12-28-2010, 10:02 PM
I learned that having a good dog for a hunting partner can get you out of a bind.

Also, if you stash a canoe (well hidden) at a lake for moose hunting when you need it, if some asshole finds it, he'll probably steal it.

TIKA 300
12-28-2010, 10:02 PM
SFall :wink: :mrgreen:

Went out 1 of the last days in the lower mainland,driving wind,pissing rain,cold (sissy).Found a comfy spot against a tree,looking into the wind,sat and glassed the tree line bellow out of the wind,low and behold-movement,a doe @ 200 yards,did a large circle to gain about 125 yards on her,just to be sure.When she realized i was there,she gathered her fawn (which i could not see till now) and off she went.......

Moral is
Deer are VERY close to main logging roads.....
They are active in the crap weather.....
When i see fresh tracks in the wet leafs,they are close by......
PATIENCE......
MY TIMING needs to be earlier next season......

1 of these 2 areas WILL bring me a BT in the next couple seasons

dana
12-28-2010, 11:10 PM
Here's another one I learned this year. Screw doing hand signals anymore when trying to get your hunting partner's attention on an opposite hill. Yelling works way better. It causes a big buck to do a 180 and come straight back towards you.:mrgreen:

mark
12-28-2010, 11:21 PM
I realized that if I had sprung the $ for one of them fancy new wind up crossbows that shoot well out to a 100 yards, that I would of had my second Boone typical this year!

blackbart
12-29-2010, 12:29 AM
I learned that pee will freeze in a piss jug within a wall tent at sub -30C temps. Makes it tough to empty!

Buckmeister
12-29-2010, 12:34 AM
I also learned that when hunting with a partner for moose, and you split up, it is a good thing to have some two way radios for communication, otherwise you may miss out on your chance for the ever elusive spike fork bull.

BillyBull
12-29-2010, 01:40 AM
I was reminded that no matter how quiet you think you have to be... deer will travel and follow their comfort zone trails... as I sat by my fire cleaning my 4pt muley... I had 6 does, and 2 little bucks come into the meadow system just to feed.

Muleycatcher
12-29-2010, 02:06 AM
I learned that when you find fresh mulie crap the size of elk, you should slow down and take a look around. Would've been another for the wall, but instead it will just be a memory :(.

hunter1947
12-29-2010, 03:20 AM
I learned to be better equipped for the cold and I also learned that the big WT bucks come down from the hi elevations to rut in the third week of Nov as for the mule deer.

Martin_Hunter
12-29-2010, 07:54 AM
As I calculated the hunting expenses this fall,I found out I better live in the country to hunt, or win the jackpot before the next hunting season!

porcupine
12-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Mountains get steeper as you get older, slow and steady will get you there eventually, and there are a lot of places where goats live where you won't want to shoot them.

eaglesj
12-29-2010, 01:39 PM
I learned that an experienced hunting partner can teach you lots even without seeing any elk. For one, I learned that the elk were in the area on weekdays and not on weekends when I was able to get out.

I learned that it is better to not take a shot than to take a shot you are not comfortable with.

I learned what elk rubs and scrapes look like. I learned what they smell like when you walk by one that is fresh enough to smell, but old enough to not find the elk you are trying to stalk.

I learned that it sure does feel good to get back to camp and have food ready for you.

Buckmeister
12-29-2010, 06:38 PM
I discovered that when you are finished your hunt and on the way home cause your wife wants you home by a certain time....thats when the big one shows himself at close range standing broadside.

dragonslayer
12-29-2010, 06:49 PM
I discovered that when you are finished your hunt and on the way home cause your wife wants you home by a certain time....thats when the big one shows himself at close range standing broadside.

Find that an absolute fact, always seems to work out that way? why? If you go out and find game it is always to late or one has to be ,somewhere that momma whats you to be, just my luck.

waistdeep
12-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Learn't something else, the older I get the less explaining I have do when I do come home late from hunting :)

Blktail
12-29-2010, 11:21 PM

The answer to this is to ask your wife to insist you are home by noon.:-D

shawnwells
12-29-2010, 11:43 PM
i learned you can never bring enough gear buffalo hunting you need 9 sleds 9 quads 9 layers of clothes and 9 trucks. and a quansett and a woodstove to thaw it all out so you can get it all home...

Ferenc
12-29-2010, 11:47 PM
Most important thing I learned........FIND A AREA AND STICK WITH IT. Thanks Dana

shawnwells
12-30-2010, 02:16 AM
i learned you can never bring enough gear buffalo hunting you need 9 sleds 9 quads 9 layers of clothes and 9 trucks. and a quansett and a woodstove to thaw it all out so you can get it all home...
oh and a snow machine....like at whistler...

Shooter Jr.
12-30-2010, 03:01 AM
Hmmm, where to start, don't keep the shells in the back pocket (imposible to get out when theres a buck standing broadside.), don't tag out so early, 2 points are plentiful, and the list goes on and on..

Shooter Jr.
12-30-2010, 03:09 AM
Not to push an animal to quickly after the shot . I thought i seen my elk fall down , started over to him never saw him again lots of blood . Lost blood trail still sick to this day about it was the biggest elk i have shot .TAKE YOUR TIME .
Yup, It really bugs me when i read about people trailing a deer and keep coming across beds with blood in them, then losing the animal and wondering why,
if there is blood in its bed, leave it and let it bleed out....

boothcreek
12-30-2010, 10:14 AM
This being my first year hunting, and having no one to really show me where to go etc. I learned that its really nice to take the rifle and bow out almost daily walks up and down the mountain without seeing hide or hair of anything.
Haven't been in shape like this in years, I just wish I had an animal to show for all the hiking.
But on a brighter note, I learned I don't have to leave our property to see elk and deer, but they only show themselfs when no weapon is on hand(go figure).

john-brennan
12-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Being in your 50's the fraser breaks are getting harder to back pack deer out, and that I still believe BINO'S are the most inportant tool for hunting besides a rifle with out question.

warnniklz
12-30-2010, 01:35 PM
I learned that if you're out with a friend and they've never bagged anything before... if there's something big in front of you, don't wait for your friend. Knock it over.

Darksith
12-30-2010, 02:11 PM
My dad always told me, "son, when you decide to get married, never get married on a long weekend. If you do, you will never be able to go fishing that weekend for the rest of your life." Great Advise, but I learned that lesson years ago.

In 2010 I learned, that when you are planning on starting a family, take note of when you try to get pregnant, and think about what time of year that will put your babys birthday. Hunting season sucks when your not allowed to leave cell service b/c your wife is due in 4 weeks, then runs 10 days late! My advice...get pregnant in hunting season.

The up side, in 8 years or so, I can start take my boy on hunting trips for his birthday!

CanuckShooter
12-30-2010, 02:25 PM
I learned that when your long time hunting partner suffers a serious medical setback, you can still take him along and have an excellent hunt...the reward of seeing the smiles on his face was more than worth all the extra effort put into the hunt.:-D

JDR
12-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Since I like to hike my @$$ off, I learned the importance of hydration. In the past, I just wasn't drinking enough fluids even though I thought I was. Now I take as much water as possible, usually a 3L bladder + 1L bottle, and drink regularly even when I think I'm not thirsty. My stamina became much better - I could hike all day and not feel drained to the point where I needed a nap when I got home. I also had far fewer incidences of stiff, sore, achy muscles. Having something salty and sweet also helped, like a sweet and salty granola bar.

Husky7mm
12-30-2010, 03:53 PM
I learnt you can dog a mature whitetail buck after he knows your following him, unlike a mulie which you usually get a second chance at especailly if he's fat.

Husky7mm
12-30-2010, 04:01 PM
This being my first year hunting, and having no one to really show me where to go etc. I learned that its really nice to take the rifle and bow out almost daily walks up and down the mountain without seeing hide or hair of anything.
Haven't been in shape like this in years, I just wish I had an animal to show for all the hiking.
But on a brighter note, I learned I don't have to leave our property to see elk and deer, but they only show themselfs when no weapon is on hand(go figure).
It can be tough without a mentor, it took 3yrs to get my first deer, I didnt live in the koot's then. It will come together for you just stick with it.

landphil
12-30-2010, 09:42 PM
As I calculated the hunting expenses this fall,I found out I better live in the country to hunt, or win the jackpot before the next hunting season!

I learned a long time ago to NEVER add up hunting expenses.:mrgreen: If you're just after cheap meat, you'd be better off buying prime rib, and some awefully expensive wine to wash it down with.

I learned (once again) that you can see animals when you least expect to - I was driving to my usual area when a decent buck crossed right in front of me - slammed on the brakes, slid to a stop with the buck standing about 30 yards in front of me - until I opened the truck door in a big hurry. Had I held tight and waited for him to calm down, er, me to calm down... ...I might have had a chance

Deaddog
12-30-2010, 11:10 PM
not sure I learned much new...however it was reinforced that the hunt is much more than taking an animal, it is about the time spent with good friends and family...that can never be taken away or forgotten, ....it is good to have this reinforced every year during hunting season... DD

ufishifish2
12-30-2010, 11:41 PM
What did I learn in 2010? Hmmmmm....... I guess that's a pretty easy one, and has already been mentioned by others.
When planning to start a family with your wife, don't start out "trying" in late January 'cause if it takes, it'll screw up the entire hunting season!!!!
I'm super happy, but still kicking myself.

hunter1947
12-31-2010, 04:22 AM
One other thing I learned for 2011 is if I do find a new lady for my friend she has to like hunting ,fishing ,trapping ,camping ,boating and not a scared of getting under the hood of my truck with me to fix a problem :mrgreen:..

Wrayzer
12-31-2010, 09:04 AM
2010 was a good season and I sure learned a lot, starting with the fact that rattling for Muleys works really well, had numerous people not believing it works until I had one come in at 60 yards.
I moved to a new area of town, very close to crown land, and hunted that area hard all year, knowing it like the back of my hand and learning deer patterns through out the season.
Also learned that close to my backyard is a wintering area for whitetails, saw the odd whitie but lots of mulies all year, once the 2nd week of November came it was all whitetail.
Also when it was -20 middle of November, it paid to get out and hike, saw a ton of WTs in the middle of the day in the freezing cold in areas well away from a warm truck.

bruin
12-31-2010, 09:17 AM
I learned that I still have alot to learn.

sawmill
12-31-2010, 09:17 AM
I re-learned how satisfying it is to help guys out ,way more fun than pulling the trigger yourself.Plus you get nice Christmas presents after:mrgreen:

Stone Sheep Steve
12-31-2010, 09:18 AM
I learned that I still have slot to learn.

I seem to learn that every year:-?.

SSS

whitetailsheds
12-31-2010, 09:22 AM
2010......what did i learn?.....that hunting in some areas of BC requires your paying attention to not sitting or kneeling on cactus, the possibility of black widows, scorpions, and rattlesnakes! WHAT THE....WHAT? Is that sagebrush?

Stone Sheep Steve
12-31-2010, 09:25 AM
2010......what did i learn?.....that hunting in some areas of BC requires your paying attention to not sitting or kneeling on cactus, the possibility of black widows, scorpions, and rattlesnakes! WHAT THE....WHAT? Is that sagebrush?

Instead of a ''City Slicker" I'm calling you a "Northern Slicker":wink:.

We're tough in the south:rolleyes:.

SSS

whitetailsheds
12-31-2010, 09:32 AM
Instead of a ''City Slicker" I'm calling you a "Northern Slicker":wink:.

We're tough in the south:rolleyes:.

SSS

F%&king eh! I'll say.....I'll keep playing with the wolves coming to my moose calls.....u keep that little s&$t down there.....lol.....

pnbrock
12-31-2010, 09:36 AM
i learned northern guys get all the game.....lol

Buckmeister
01-01-2011, 02:03 AM
I also learned that even if you fence, gate, and put signage up on your property......poachers (and other trespassers) will come along and tear down the signs and gate, cut through the fence and proceed on their merry way, and then plead innocent (or is it ignorance?) when they get caught.

TPB
01-01-2011, 02:05 AM
I learned everything i know to this date in 2010, and i learned how much i love this new lifestyle called hunting (It was my first year)

boothcreek
01-01-2011, 09:46 AM
I also learned that even if you fence, gate, and put signage up on your property......poachers (and other trespassers) will come along and tear down the signs and gate, cut through the fence and proceed on their merry way, and then plead innocent (or is it ignorance?) when they get caught.

true that! someone put a trail cam and a salt block on one of the most used game trails in the middle of our property....

cainer
01-01-2011, 01:37 PM
I learned that no matter how good or expensive equipment is, you can still lose it.
I also learned that no matter how thin a branch is, it will still deflect arrows.

Buckmeister
01-01-2011, 06:59 PM
I also learned that no matter how thin a branch is, it will still deflect arrows.

And bullets!

Dieseldog6
01-01-2011, 09:24 PM
I certainly learned some important things about mulie hunting this year. I haven't had much opportunity to get out for mule deer since I first got started hunting about 4 years ago, so each experience is still a potentially valuable lesson.

Firstly, a short one - mule deer (does at least) do respond to the can calls. I brought a mature doe in to about 10 yds away with a few subtle but definite bleats. Too bad there was no young back following here.

Secondly, my tracking skills and understanding of mule deer habitat were strengthened this year. However, I forgot an incredibly simple but important rule - if you want a big buck, you should think like a big buck!

Here's what happened:
My 15-year old son and I managed to get out to region 3 in late October for a weekend hunt. We were fortunate enough to get a tip from Bushy (HBC member) on the second day that brought us to a promising area that was also relatively free of any other hunters. Based on observing a cut block from the end of the road I quickly determined that it was probably a deer haven. The cut had seed trees spaced out in the middle and the slope had soft ridges which I figured made for nice bedding spots. It was also cleaner than most cuts and had nice dry grass all over with some green still at the bottom to the right. That area at the bottom also had some widely spaced jack pines that were still short enough for a standing deer to see over but a bedded deer would have nice cover. On the right edge the clearing gave way to a dark, mature timber stand with an indication that a creek ran through it. The left edge held lodgepole pines and we had come across a grouse there on the way in so it probably was open enough for deer to move through comfortably.

We had time to spare before the light started to slip away so we walked up the hillside to get a better understanding of what it was like. I have never seen so much scat in one area before. There were also tracks going up and down all over. Most were older but some scat and tracks were definitely fresh. There was a lot of moose scat as well but it was definitely old. We knew that any moose in the area had moved down to the lower meadows. However, it made me think that the area must hold some good twiggy browse through the summer to attract them as well as the deer. As we approached the upper ridges it became even more obvious that we were standing in a great spot. We found a big bed in the grass and right near it was some fresh scat the size of Hershey's Kisses. It was far larger than the typical size and it was shaped less typically. This scat had to have come from a big buck and we were going to find to spot to wait for him.

I decided that we would walk back down the slope and sit with our back to the mature timber as it started to get dark because we would be somewhat hidden in the shadows. This was a dumb "human thinking" mistake. We got situated and sat quietly waiting. At first I thought we were in position to watch for a buck to come down the slope to feed on the green grass about 20 yards in front of us. Then, as it really started to become "prime time" I had a sick feeling. I suddenly realized that I had already ruined our chance for the big buck. At that moment I was now thinking like a deer and I knew that a big buck was going to come into this cut from behind us. He was hiding in the thick timber all day and would use it as his travelling corridor to get here.

So there we sat, about 5 yards apart with our backs to the exact spot we should be looking at. I wondered if we should move, but I knew that our scent was already hanging around and it probably would be worse to get up and make noise. I sat hoping that maybe we were just off the track enough that a buck would come in to the side without noticing us. No such luck. . . As it urned out we were positioned on either side of his trail coming in. Just a few minutes after realizing my mistake we head the distinct snapping of twigs and leaves right behind us. I sat frozen hoping to get a chance with a quick turn, but before I even made my move the big buck we were eagerly waiting for scented us and let out a snort that sounded like a steam train starting to move out of a station. I frantically turned toward the sound and could only catch a glimpse of a decent rack and a large white rump less than 20 yards away. There was no chance for an ethical shot. :( We were BUSTED and our evening hunt was over in an instant. That buck kept snorting every 10 seconds or so for about another minute or two as he stotted up the hill in the timber. I guess he was mad that we ruined his feeding time.

The next morning we came back to the cut and quietly walked in and waited well back on the edge of the road so I could glass the slope. I couldn't find anything as the sun came out so we eventually started to walk slowly up the slope pausing every few steps to glass ahead. We eventually did spot a doe with a spike fork tailing her. They were a bit far off and there was some dead fall in between us inhibiting my chance for a shot. We managed to move closer but they were moving away and just as I was about to lift my rifle the young buck scented us and he bolted toward the lodgepole stand.

Despite the frustration of making such a dumb mistake the night before my son and I felt that we took home a very valuable experience. We now don't need to waste any time next season trying to figure out where to go. We will concentrate on that one cut and learn even more about the surrounding timber and nearby cuts. If we can get out earlier then we'll scout it and hopefully find more access routes. And, of course, I'll always remember my lesson - think like a big buck!

BTW - I actually learned a ton in 2010 from the posts here. Thanks to all of you who've felt inclined or compelled to share your knowledge and experience. Hopefully I'll hook up with someone in my area who wants to go with me and my oldest son on a hunt or two next season. Feel free to PM me if you're interested.

NaStY
01-02-2011, 11:18 AM
I learned I need to get out more :mrgreen:

takla1
01-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Well ive long since learned lots about bull moose and mule deer .this yr i learned few things about the elusive black-tail i was unsure of in the past.One,that a relatively small area can KEEP produceing good bucks as the season progresses and even after harvesting 3 bucks in an area not much bigger than a football field they just seem to keep coming in.of course early nov your getting the spicks,later nov the big guys come in.two,black tail come readily to buck grunts and doe bleats,we harvest two running into our calling.I cant wait for next nov. in the lowermainland!

islandboy
01-02-2011, 02:00 PM
I learned to have a good look around when I park - before unloading the gear for the hike in. Missed on a deer because while he was within an easy stalk of where I parked he was alerted, and probably amused, as he watched me unload, gear up and then realize I had been spotted. :-?

rifleman
01-02-2011, 02:33 PM
I learned to never leave my waders outside overnight when its below freezing. I couldn't put them on until they thawed out in the truck. I missed the first flight of ducks.

Wolfman
01-02-2011, 03:29 PM
I learned that I need to prioritize hunting more than I do and stop letting day to day mundane life get in the way, because 2010 was a bust.

Hopefully 2011 will rock.

Watch out, spring blackies ;-)

scoopy
01-02-2011, 06:37 PM
I learned to believe non of what you read and half of what you see.

Sitkaspruce
01-02-2011, 07:02 PM
I learned that I still have slot to learn.

Ditto for me as well. I am always learning as wildlife does not think like a human.

For me, the one big one was finding an area and concentrating a lot more time to it. I usually fall into the trap of hunting different spots because I love to explore and see what is over the next ridge or beyond the next lake. This year I found an area (Thanks to PG66's and a few others post's) and spent a lot more time there than I usually would.

I also found that leaving the gun back at the quad while "guiding" a friend usually means a missed opportunity:wink:.......the gun stays on my shoulder when hunting...:mrgreen:

Cheers

SS

Mountaintop
01-02-2011, 10:09 PM
This was my first season and I learned a lot but also learned I have so much more to learn. I learned to recognize buck fever and relax before taking the shot. I learned that I can’t estimate distance worth a darn and will be working on that. I learned that glassing helps find deer before being burned. Most importantly, I learned I love hunting and can’t wait until next season.

patdel
01-03-2011, 11:33 AM
I learned to never assume what type of buck you are looking at. In the last 10 minutes of the last evening of the whitetail season I spotted a buck bedded down near some trees and thought to myself "thats not a bad muley'', then he stood up and the moment he did I realized my mistake and he was in the trees and gone. Biggest whitetail buck I have ever seen. At least I can look for him next season!

Trevorg
01-03-2011, 11:51 AM
i learned that im just not talented enough to make a 300 yard shot with a dropped scope lol, also i need to develop some patience

behemoth
01-03-2011, 12:05 PM
I learned that if you are leaving for a week long goat hunt and the weather report is calling for uninterrupted rain and fog for the entire week- go somewhere else and hunt for a different species.

Dont spend 3 days in the rain and fog hoping it will clear up before you decide to move to another area!

arcadia
01-03-2011, 12:12 PM
I learned that factory ammo hits far harder with lighter bullets. In my .270 the 130 grain bullets fly much faster and hit much harder than 150 grain pills. I now use 130 grain for everything!

TyTy
01-03-2011, 12:37 PM
My hunting partner learned not to carry his gun by his scope :) and to have the tools to adjust it ON him, when at the range and NOT at camp.

I learned that RME are very sketchy animals, amoung other things.

boyd050
01-03-2011, 07:06 PM
I learned my new SECRET honey hole... is going to remain that way... honey holes are like that shampoo commercial. you tell two friends and they tell two friends..... and so on......... lesson learned. if you value it, tell no one.

J_T
01-03-2011, 07:20 PM
I learned my Dad (82 yrs old) IS the man. 30 yards on a P&Y elk, 2 yards unarmed & alone on a big boar Griz and he can drink a 1/2 a 26 of 150 proof rum and still get up and into his stand for first light.

351BII
01-04-2011, 12:07 AM
One Important thing I learned this year was on a whitetail hunt in christian valley is that you are not alone in the bush. Partner and I walked into a lake about 1k from the road. Walk all the way in and didnt hear a sound or see a sign. On the way out was a fresh pile of bear doo doo. I noticed all the way out his prints were on top of mine starting about 20 yds from the road and he fallowed us right to the tree line as you come out to the lake. I had no bear tag so I bother trying to track this big guy. Spread was about 5.5inches across. Just goes to show when you tink your the only ones around chances are you arent. Another thing I learned...Get a bear tag EVERY season:D

boyd050
01-04-2011, 07:17 PM
that there are a lot of cow lovers on this site!!!!! mooooo!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

TheDuckinator
01-04-2011, 07:41 PM
That I need to get out a LOT more, that i need the patience to sit and wait, that I need to glass, and that good gear is worth 10X the amount you spend on it!!!!!

Singleshotneeded
01-04-2011, 11:05 PM
:-D Well I learned, again... that just because you've got a great spot overlooking a nicely situated clearcut, and you've got an over 180
degree view, and rough, closed-in timber behind you...it doesn't mean
that the buck you've called in is going to show up in that clearcut.
I sensed there was something directly behind me, slowly turned to
see, and boing, he was behind a couple of trees and gone!

luckynuts
01-05-2011, 11:31 AM
I learned my 10 year old (now 11) can shoot better and kill bigger deer than me:-D:mrgreen:

Also learned that when you see the biggest bull moose you have ever seen and have him coming in on a string don't wait for the perfect shot you could regret it like I did:evil:

W.

paw325
01-05-2011, 11:38 AM
I learned that it don't have to be B&C to be a perfect trophy......

tuffteddyb
01-05-2011, 01:04 PM
like before mentioned i learned i have a LOT to learn!
that moose are WAYYYYYY more work than a deer,even two deer!
that your spouse is the best hunting partner a guy can have!!!
also that certain combinations of reloads REALLY HURT! lmao