PDA

View Full Version : Walking in and staying

palmer
06-13-2006, 10:02 PM
So I have been reading all the threads about quads and local hunts, but how many of you hike in and stay overnight or longer.
For the last few years myself and LT have been hunting as far away from the road as our feet will carry us. We have hunted sheep,goat and mulies and even G-Bear. We always see so much more game and take some real trophies...but never any hunters.
Even when hunting the hills above Grand forks we look down from the tops of the mountains and see the roads crawling with hunters, but never see anyone on the mountains. We only see them when we carry our monsters back to the truck far below...?

Darren
06-13-2006, 10:07 PM
I usually like to hike in a fair ways to get away from all the other hunters. I'm planning to do a few overnight, and weekend trips this season so I can get a little further back, and be in a good area for first and last light. Hiking through thick bush in the dark with a headlamp is tough, as I found out several mornings last year.

brotherjack
06-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Yep - you usually only have to get a few hundred yards from the road before all hunting competition vanishes. I've never run across another hunter in the bush, other than once about 100 yards from the road (and he was chasing the same deer I was).

Personally, I've never been ambitious enough to stay overnight or anything though (although, I only hunt deer and elk, so it's not like I have to get more than a mille or two from the truck, which makes coming home - usually about a 10 minute drive - an attractive option).

Gateholio
06-13-2006, 11:17 PM
I have done that lots of times, either for the nigth or several nights.

Around here in the thick, steep forests, you often need a trail to get anywhere, or climb up a creek, which can be painful at times.:-D

youngfellla
06-14-2006, 02:08 AM
Well, you've got to get off the beaten path and your chances will improve.;) And sometimes that means hard work.

Walksalot
06-14-2006, 05:48 AM
I have done it over night a few times but not for any length of time. Most are day trips.
I think many of those hunter driving around in their trucks would be unprepared for a back country venture as one must be prepared for a survival situation as hunting from a truck and hunting out of a backpack are two differnt things.

Phred
06-14-2006, 07:16 AM
I don't like road hunting at all. One of the main reasons I hunt is so I can get away from everyone else, so parking the truck and heading into the bush is what I do.
I don't feel conected to nature while driving my truck.

WyoStillhunter
06-14-2006, 07:16 AM
Not in BC, where I hope to hunt one day, but here in SE Wyoming I try to head straight into the blankest spot on the map. Unfortunately there are so many roads and two-tracks that it's hard to get more than a couple of miles in.

As others have said, I cut human tracks from time to time but rarely see anyone after the first quarter mile from the truck.

The fun really begins when an elk is down and I have to deal with the carcass. And I really mean that. Doing it all myself, on foot, takes two to three days but I get a great sense of accomplishment from it. I enjoy the hikes in and out for the meat almost as much as the hunt before the shot.

3kills
06-14-2006, 09:57 AM
I have done it over night a few times but not for any length of time. Most are day trips.
I think many of those hunter driving around in their trucks would be unprepared for a back country venture as one must be prepared for a survival situation as hunting from a truck and hunting out of a backpack are two differnt things.

i totally disagree with this statement...i mostly road hunt for moose....and when i m with my brother in law we road hunt as he cant walk to far as he has screwed knees..but when we go out its mainly just to go out for a drive...but i m always prepared to spend a night in the bush if i had to...and i know alot of people that do road hunt for several different reasons and they most of them could probably out survive most people in the bush....

Walksalot
06-14-2006, 11:07 AM
i totally disagree with this statement...i mostly road hunt for moose....and when i m with my brother in law we road hunt as he cant walk to far as he has screwed knees..but when we go out its mainly just to go out for a drive...but i m always prepared to spend a night in the bush if i had to...and i know alot of people that do road hunt for several different reasons and they most of them could probably out survive most people in the bush....

I said many, not all. Obviously you are prepared.

3kills
06-14-2006, 05:52 PM
i am yup i dont beleive in going in the bush wether i m in a truck or walkin with out my pack and my pack carries all the stuff i would need to spend the night...

quadrakid
06-14-2006, 07:02 PM
please dont encourage the road hunters to try something different, lets keep em nice and warm and dry in there trucks.