PDA

View Full Version : Excalibur Axiom

Trevorg
12-27-2010, 12:26 AM
Does anyone use the axiom? Just wondering which broadheads people use and at what range i can expect to put game down.

Bow Walker
12-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Do a short search on the subject. It's been discussed many times.

Generally speaking though, any fixed or replaceable-blade broadhead will work fine. Many manufacturers of crossbows recommend staying away from mechanical broadheads, I guess that they're not too confident about them staying closed during flight.

Your broadheads should be at least 125 grains - probably more, as the heavier the head the more stable the bolt during flight. The crossbow volt is rather short and is quite heavy so it needs heavier components to help stabilize it quickly.

As for the range of the bow...some on here have mentioned killing an animal out to (and past) 50 yards. I highly recommend that you spend a fair amount of time at the range and get to know your equipment before you go hunting.

Get to know how the bolt arcs out of the bow and how much it drops after 20 or 30 yards. You'll be surprised. Maybe then you'll believe it when people suggest that you not try to kill something beyond 40 yards.