PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Sealers

coastalhunter
12-25-2010, 11:04 PM
I received a vacuum sealer for Christmas and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on whether it is a good one or not. Will be used for salmon and game meat, so it typically won't be used for months on end and then I'll need to seal 100 lbs of salmon - wil it do the trick or should I get a different one NOW? It's a Foodsaver V3840 (one of those upright models).
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

The Dawg
12-25-2010, 11:13 PM
LOVE mine...

I vacuum seal everything. Did over 130lbs of deer this year with not even a sputter. I hit Costco for the deals on the bags- wayyyyyyyy better than anywhere else I have found.

Had it for a couple of years without a problem. Definitely would recommend it.

2x4x16
12-25-2010, 11:16 PM
LOVE mine...

I vacuum seal everything. Did over 130lbs of deer this year with not even a sputter. I hit Costco for the deals on the bags- wayyyyyyyy better than anywhere else I have found.

Had it for a couple of years without a problem. Definitely would recommend it.

X2 it works great when the bags go on sale @ London Drugs buy them because the bags aren't that cheap

Steeleco
12-25-2010, 11:17 PM
I've had mine 10 years. Still works great. The bags can be a little fragile and pin hole in the freezer if not handled carefully. But the system overall is very good.

troutseeker
12-26-2010, 12:53 AM
I have an old one and it still works great. Just used it yesterday to vacuum seal 40 pounds of deer peperoni!

12-26-2010, 08:28 AM
It's a Foodsaver V3840 (one of those upright models).

We now own a similar model (V3460) and compared to the old horizontal one with the dual pumps its certainly not in the same class. On the old one, the bar that melts the plastic to form the seal lost its teflon coating and began melting into the bags. Phoned around for service and found out that two of local shops were no longer stocking them because of the terrible service from the company. It's always nice spending $400 plus and finding out what you bought is disposable because of service issues. Ended up buying the new one even though the old one worked fine (besides nuking bags) and the new vertical model isn't as user friendly, wastes more of the bag because of how far you have to insert the bag into the machine and there is no comparison in speed with the dual pumps versus the single on the vertical one. Vertical one was half the price of the old one and half the machine...get what you pay for!:icon_frow

The bags can be a little fragile and pin hole in the freezer if not handled carefully...... X 2

bearhunter338-06
12-26-2010, 08:31 AM
I have one also. We use it all the time. I buy the Seal Mate bags from Canadian Tire.

2x4x16
12-26-2010, 01:04 PM
I have one also. We use it all the time. I buy the Seal Mate bags from Canadian Tire.

How are thes bags - same as the food saver? I have been looking for alternates and have yet to see anything good.