PDA

View Full Version : Chasiing Blacktails On The Fraser?

~T-BONE~
06-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Just wondering if anyone has put any time into working the network of islands on the upper Fraser River area for the elusive blacktails? Any luck? In seasons past I've heard rumours of good sized bucks calling these areas home! Any replys would be great.:-D

Bow Walker
06-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Welcome to the site T. I have wondered about that very same thing when I was living over there. I would check the regs carefully for no shooting areas - but there have to be some huge ones in there somewhere!

oldtimer
06-13-2006, 07:34 PM
T-Bone is not the upper fraser around Prince George ????? don't recall anybody seeing any blacktails up here. Are you talking about the upper fraser delta ???

ruger#1
06-13-2006, 07:43 PM
be careful on those islands some are reserve lands and there is alot of green stuff grown there. lots of blacktails to.just becareful. we were going to go on one a few years back and had a shotgun pointed at us. damn pot growing hippies.

3kills
06-13-2006, 07:58 PM
t-bone welcome to the site...u sure picked an appropriate name ;)

FullDraw
06-14-2006, 07:20 AM
T-Bone I 2nd #1 I would be very careful stepping onto those fraser islands
I had a shotgun pointed at me as well.

FullDraw

~T-BONE~
06-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Ruger/Fulldraw how far up river were you guys running into these troubles? I'm thinking of hunting some of the islands from Agassiz/Rosedale bridge and down to the back of Sumas mtn. its very tempting. Probably around the rut!! I would think their harvest would be over by then. When things are more open probably camo out the 14 footer:| may be worth the chance:-o ?

bcboy
06-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Tried the Fraser but thought it better to concentrate on my home base.With the lack of hunters and especially the number unwilling to go into blacktail habitat I predict some record book blacktails entering the books in the next few yrs.

I have friends and have seen firsthand record book blacktails, too bad these guys are like me and could not care about getting thier name in the book,

However I see a change happening:-D

Good luck I have quite a few blacktails to my credit and they are my favorite too hunt also my nemisis sometimes.

Welcome

FullDraw
06-14-2006, 10:28 PM
I've had trouble in a number of spots from the sumas river to just past the harrison river, most trouble in around the harrison but have seen some armed warriors around the sumas protecting the nets. Why don't you try sumas mountain on the back side?

lip_ripper00
06-15-2006, 09:00 AM
make sure you check the regs I had this same idea last year lower down, Mission Abby ect. all of the islands where put in to the park systeme.NO HUNTING:(

Fred
06-15-2006, 09:57 AM
T-Bone, several years ago an old timer(now I are one:???: ) told me that when the Deer get pressured they swim over to the islands because very few people go there to hunt.
Like the other guys have said, check the regs for closures and watch out for urban geurillas. Fred

lapadat
06-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Welcome to the site.

Just remember that there is a closed area around the mouth of the vedder. The McGilliviary game reserve is located there and is closed to hunting. I believe the closed area affects part of sumas mountain as well. Check the regs.

PM me for a detailed description of you want

matt

ruger#1
06-15-2006, 09:15 PM
The islands are also shotgun only, no single projectiles. you can also use a bow. i had my problem across from grassy bar.and there wasn't any nets. matsqui island has lots of deer on it. you would have to get permission from the chief, an island Ive always wanted to hunt is long island on Harrison lake, Ive heard there is lots of deer there, but it is so thick and hard to hunt. my buddy was sitting on the beach at 20 mile bay when they seen something swimming to wards them, then it stopped, they swam out to see what it was, it was a cougar, and it drown ,to far for it to swim.also the guys brother in law shot a record book black tail on the west side of Harrison lake. it was up high laying amongst some rocks on a cliff. another good place is upper stave lake, if you can get a quad up there on those logging roads, there is also the odd moose to, there are also elk up there, that the gov transplanted last year or the year before.

~T-BONE~
06-17-2006, 08:00 AM
Yes I have also been told about good #'s of deer being out on the lower bluffs along harrison lake later towards Dec. keeping out of the snow Bucks were always around.Excellent info Ruger and all true!!