PDA

View Full Version : New Hunter Success Story

electroman
12-25-2010, 01:25 PM
First post from a long time lurker.
I have been hunting for 3 years now but have been unsuccessful for my first two years. Weekend trips to unfamiliar areas and spending most of my time driving around and not getting out to look around didn’t help me much. i knew what i had to do but for some reason couldn’t get my act together to do it.
This year my brother and i got together for our LEH selections and carefully selected a semi familiar area with good draw odds. Luck was with us and we both got a draw. my brother(noahs arc) with a cow/calf and myself for a mulie doe. So now we have dates for our trip and now to plan a scouting trip. Everything you read and hear is true. Get into the bush, find water, food, game trails etc. Try to learn your area as best you can. By the time we where hunting we knew we had put our time in and felt good about the trip.
Two hours into my LEH being valid i took my doe from about 60 yards, and on the fourth day of my brothers LEH he took a cow at about 100 yards. Both where one shot kills and neither took more than two steps after being shot. Field dressing was quite a learning experience as was quartering the cow up. Both of us are the only hunters in the family so everything was new for the both of us.
Thanks to everyone for the tips and advice, appreciate it.
I do Have pictures but not being the computer type, i cant make the pictures small enough to upload.
electroman

Bear Chaser
12-25-2010, 02:07 PM
Congratulations to you & your brother. Nice that the two of you were able to get out and get some success. Good luck in your future hunts.

yamadirt 426
12-25-2010, 03:27 PM
sounds like me. 2yrs and nil so far. Same story. Check out familar areas but... Here is hoping the 3rd yr is the one :) congrats !!

quadrakid
12-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Congratulations, hunting is like life,with experience comes success. Many great hunting seasons will come your way.

tackdriver
12-25-2010, 06:50 PM
good on you and brother, feels good to do it on your own. Every year it will get a little easier, if you have kids get them out there, and if not find a smart young fella and take him or her out and help them get there first that is a very rewarding feeling aswell. again congrats.

electroman
12-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Alright i figured out the picture thing.

SR80 thanks for all the advice and tips!!!

electroman
12-25-2010, 08:49 PM
http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb380/electroman604/

d6dan
12-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Here's your pics..

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb380/electroman604/P9290296.jpg
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb380/electroman604/P9260263jpg.jpg
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb380/electroman604/P9290297.jpg

jaeger
12-25-2010, 10:02 PM
congratulation on some fine looking and tasty annimals!!
That will fill the freezer!
Cheers and Merry Christmas

kennyj
12-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Congratulations guys. Way to get er done. Theres no bettor way to learn.
kenny

noahs ark
12-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Hey d6dan thanks for posting those we're both a couple of computer dummies! 1.5 months later and the pics are just getting up.

When we first arrived we had pulled up to a nice area we thought would be a good spot to set up camp. We walked down to this lake to see if there was a nice flat spot to set up the camper and literally in our first 100 steps from the truck we spotted a calf. Tags not valid for 1 more day!

After that calf I saw plenty of deer (one shooter) but no more moose. Our 3rd in our group with no leh was stepping on those dam cow moose everywhere he went. A moose walked thru our camp while we were out and he saw 2 more cows less then 500ft from camp plus many more out on the trail.

Here I was out putting the miles on (I didnt have wheels truck broke down just before the trip) and getting dropped off by my brother everywhere seemed I should have just sat in camp and let her come to me. Anyways 4th day little discouraged thinking about taking the night off. My brother talks me into going to this "awesome" spot we knew of. We were driving to our stand for the night and the trees split and there she was with another cow. Kind of a bummer as I didnt want to road hunt but on day 4 I wasnt turning her down!

The gutting came easy but lots of head scratchin quartering it. Never had to quarter a goose before! Butcher said we didnt do too bad either and we learned a ton.

Thanks to SR80 and all the pros on here your advise is gold to a rookie hunter!
Thanks to electroman for helping me pack it out bro! Probably just be getting her to the butcher now if it wasnt for your advise
Totally hooked.

Spy
12-26-2010, 12:16 AM
Sounds like You Guys had a great time Getting "her done":wink:The picture of you or your brother, covered in blood, big smile!:-D Awesome:-D
Any pics of the goose you quarter?:-D

leadpillproductions
12-26-2010, 12:22 AM
Congrads on the good quick kills , they should taste great

hunter1947
12-26-2010, 03:37 AM
Welcome to this forum.

You both did very well on your hunt this past year ,congratulations on doing so http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

TIKA 300
12-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Nice you both connected on your LEHs,congrats.

Blktail
12-26-2010, 05:18 PM
I would be more proud of getting those animals gutted and quartered than shooting them. That is some feat.

A few more and you will be able to do it without getting most of the blood one you!:-D

My first animal was a doe and I gutted it with a friend that saw it done when he was about 14. I was studying biology at the time and knew where all the parts were supposed to be. It was still and adventure to rival the hunt itself.

Good on you!.

electroman
12-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Blktail the doe was my first big game animal as well. I was all alone and about 4 km up a small road and had never seen anyone field dress before. Ha ha talk about a learning curve. Can't wait for spring time I'd love to get myself a bear.

BillyBull
12-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Hey J, heard it was great at Oma's dinner for wee Ian... you guys did awesome on your hunt this year.