http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100040001_1.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100030001_1.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100020001_1.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100010001_1-1.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100050001_1.jpg

Steven

Springer
12-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Man there sure is nothing like watching those dogs work hey Elmer. Good luck on your next Cat hunting venture. Maybe you will get some fresh snow for the next outing..

Cheers.

Barracuda
12-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Watching the dogs work is one of the most rewarding experiances i know.

Spokerider
12-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Did you cut any workable tracks?

kwasky
12-24-2010, 03:00 PM
sure is a ton of fun isnt it. i got to go for the first time this year as well and it was a blast. cant wait to do it again!!

srupp
12-24-2010, 06:45 PM
one of THE BEST times I have had hunting..I started to do a write up but being Dec 24th I cant put it off any more I need to start my Christmas shopping...

steven

Bear Chaser
12-24-2010, 09:57 PM
one of THE BEST times I have had hunting..I started to do a write up but being Dec 24th I cant put it off any more I need to start my Christmas shopping...

steven

Ah yes. First the teaser, then the excuses. LOL. Don't leave us hanging too long.:???:

Cdn-Redneck
12-25-2010, 12:47 AM
Start Christmas shopping at 5:45 Christmas eve, WTF. Sounds like expensive jewlery.

BiG Boar
12-25-2010, 01:50 AM
Hunting cats is a lot like hunting women. The good ones are hard to find however they go down easy! Nail a beauty tomorow!

hunter1947
12-25-2010, 03:55 AM
Hunting cats is a lot like hunting women. The good ones are hard to find however they go down easy! Nail a beauty tomorow!

You took the words right out of my mouth :wink:..

srupp
12-25-2010, 08:49 AM
been so busy @ work havnt had a lot of free time...normally put in 48 hrs each work block..so far looks like I will double that...it is that time of year..hopefully I can escape @ 8 am and go get some sleep after a 14 hr n/s..and then wake up ..open presents..and back to work for another 14 hrs..I promise i will post some words about the hunt now a week old..sorry..Merry Christmas..yawnnnnn

sleepy Stevie...soon to be grumpie...lol

jaeger
12-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Things must be pretty busy on the northern Highways at this time of the year for you Steven!
Enjoy your Christmas and the well deserved rest!Looking forwards to hear your Cougar Story!
Merry Christmas Jaeger

srupp
12-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Ipicked up my cougar tag at the local store..the ladies asked why a cougar tag..I explained I turned 54 the next day and needed a cougar tag to make it legal @ the Dust and Diamonds stripper bar when I went for a silverbacked PUMA..lol

I left for Tatlyoko valley Dec 18th..also my 54th birthday to meet up with Chiulcoitin hillbilly..aka Doug @ Skinner Creek trail rides and guiding.

I had chosen Doug because of his history of getting it done... the correct way..its not just shooting a cat its harvesting a large old tom..,

I arrived at Doug and Julies beautiful log home and soon after a couple of chores that involved "horsing around" we had loaded the 4 cougar dogs and were on the rd..litterally

now about these dogs I thought theyw ould be ferocious but the were amazingly tame and loving..more likely to lick the coffee off your lips than create problems.

As for Doug..to me he was a wealth of information.knowlegable, funny patient and skilled...I soon caught on that he was doing far far more than getting me close to a cougar..he was in fact introducing me to the cougars world for the first time..how they mmove how the hunt where they bed, feed travel the entire story slowly unravelled as Doug Patiently showed my in the snow the cougars prints and WHY and what and when and how the puma travelled this way...

That first day we cut 4 mountain lion tracks..and a 3 of them we released the hounds.., all equipped with the GPS tracking collars thatw e watched from the truck,,, the distance the alzimuth heading the trail the elevation all the while Doug explaining what and why.. I could hear the baying of the hounds...EXCITING..

I very soon learned to love these athltes... these 4 legged wonders..noses searching for that molecule of cougar scent left so many hours ago and following it up and down the mountain...I had so many questions and Doug went over each and every aspect of the events..these highly speciaalized athletes were a joy and a privilege to watch do there thing..and enjoy it the SURE DID...

I got to learn the difference between males and femalse tracks and that of other large cats..lynx and bobcat....I even spotted 2 sets of tracks by myself.

We were in the valley that the WORLD RECORD COUGAR was harvested from... what amazing country..truly astonishing...

At the end of day one we took and fed the dogs, watered the dogs kennelled the dogs before getting some grub...and then Doug showed me some video and photos of past successes... some huge Tom cougars..and the video of his son getting run at by a cougar coming out of the tree, the camera dropping as he raced to his sons defence..it all ended well...except for the cougar..

DAY 2 no snow and same conditions made it rough..we spent the day travelling searching locating 3 more sets of cougar tracks...but none fresh....

I left that night for Williams Lake and work..knowing I was going to be back to complete the quest for the only big game animal I had not harvested one of...

I had learned so much as Doug had opened the cougars world to me...and everything I learned would take weeks of typing....

I was impressed in the scenery, the fact I was in THE HOME of the biggest cougars on earth, the fit wonderful athletic dogs that made this possible and worked their hearts out for Doug.

But more importantly Doug..I have been around professional guides all my adult life but this operation was tops...Dougs knowlege, and willingness and ABILITY to share that knowlege in a way even a rookie could comprehend..and who carefully guided me along the valley fully equipped with the correct dogs and equipment but knowlege and skill and RESPECT for the cougar I was blown a way at Dougs professional way to make it fun and exciting safe and productive..did I geta cougar..no..not yet was I successful???completely...absolutley..could not have picked a better guy or place or outfit to meet the Mountain Lion on HIS TERMS..

STAY TUNED..

CHEERS
Steven

Barracuda
12-30-2010, 11:05 AM
sounds like you had a great adventure.

Congrats on your introduction to the world of Hounding.

srupp
12-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Yes tremendously exciting...just my luck least amount of snow in 30 years.... patiently waiting for snow..:mrgreen:

Steven

Islandeer
12-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Good luck Steven!!

BlacktailStalker
12-30-2010, 04:41 PM
The winter is young yet.

Bear Chaser
12-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Great to hear you had a good introduction to hound hunting. I think that when you see a cat in a tree for the first time you will find a new meaning for the word excitement. Being there at the tree with the dogs all going nuts trying to climb it is beyond comparison.

Glad to hear your opinions about Doug's outfit. From the posts I've read he seems like a straight up guy; nice to know he's the same in the field.
Good luck & keep us posted.

sneg
12-30-2010, 07:59 PM
looks like very much enjoyable hunt. thanks for posting pics and story.

chilcotin hillbilly
12-31-2010, 07:53 AM
Stop it Steven your making me blush. Really guys this is not a Bromanse it is a cougar hunt.:lol:

srupp
12-31-2010, 09:31 AM
ha ha ya.....:mrgreen: funny..

Thats another thing do NOT let the name Chilcotin Hillbilly lull you into the false asumption Doug is a ex hippy with limited intelligence...Doug is a highly intelligent individual that I truly enjoyed spending time with..easy to be friendly around Doug.The convresatiosn were never strained or searching for some new topic...very easy to just hang out and wait for the cats...and the dogs to do their things..

I was extremelly tired when I arrived having been awake for 2 1/2 days..work and life...and I was never close to dozing off while learning from my 5 cougar hunting pals...

Doug knew of my extremely limited mobility, knees shot awaiting for surgery..and the one short section I was sent out to spot tracks below the rd, while doug went above the rd..I merely did my best and remembered not to whine..:wink:

I packed perfectly equipment wise, and clothing , lots of layers to shuck and don as the levels of exertion and /or inactivity changed..also the changing wather and temperatures..

For those seeking a trophy mountain lion, this area does hold humungous cats the genetics are there...all with Ruppinsky disease...overweight large males...:wink:..and Doug showed me exactly where the WORLD RECORD PUMA was harvested..so the genetics are there...Doug is not interested in small cats or little toms..

Only one dissapointment...Doug is in charge of the cougars..and is exceptionally knowlegable in this subject HOWEVER it is Julie that is THE deer expert...and she was in the BIG CITY while I visited so I did not get the chance to learn about mule deer hunting and just how she is so successful..:eek:...

COME ON SNOW....DARN IT..SNOW !!!

cheers
Steven

ravensfoot
01-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Ipicked up my cougar tag at the local store..the ladies asked why a cougar tag..I explained I turned 54 the next day and needed a cougar tag to make it legal @ the Dust and Diamonds stripper bar when I went for a silverbacked PUMA..lol

Way too funny... Still laughing on this one

srupp
01-07-2011, 09:39 AM
lol ya sometimes my words DO have meaning..:wink:

actually talked with Doug last nite..snow cconditions should improve soon,,:mrgreen: cant wait to see Cookie, Rudy, Zoe,Burger, Julie ..oh ya and DOUG..AND "THE BOSS" ..TANK...

after reading Big bores trophy cat post I am really SO stoked to get back out..I even got a new full shield snowmobile helmut for the next round of mountain lion hunting....

cheers
Steven:mrgreen:

BiG Boar
01-07-2011, 10:01 AM
lol ya sometimes my words DO have meaning..:wink:

actually talked with Doug last nite..snow cconditions should improve soon,,:mrgreen: cant wait to see Cookie, Rudy, Zoe,Burger, Julie ..oh ya and DOUG..AND "THE BOSS" ..TANK...

after reading Big bores trophy cat post I am really SO stoked to get back out..I even got a new full shield snowmobile helmut for the next round of mountain lion hunting....

cheers

Not to toot my houndsmans horn, but it was awesome! Hold out for something worth putting on the wall!

srupp
01-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Great Cat Dave !!!I did spend 7 hrs so far doing a University (2 seperate Universities) course on field ageing cougars..:mrgreen:actually really interesting...the canines..the color, dental, shape, wear...etc etc etc as well as the color changes..and stride tracks.....

lol gonnna be really dificult explaining a 20 # kitty with spots, and stripes on the back of the front legs...:wink: with pure white pristine pointed teeth and some still not errupted...

I even put together a 4 page pamphlet with photos on aging from 2 months to over 10 years..I will try and hold out for a a old mature tom...

Allen50
01-08-2011, 02:09 PM
wooooo though the first pic was two hounds mounted on the wall, then i saw they were in the dog box,,,,, just kidden , looks like some fun,,,

srupp
01-27-2011, 01:54 PM
So after 2 more BRUTAL days at work..I am headed out West to meet up with Doug and his fellow 4 footed athletes and go look for Mountain Lions...the snow is very wet and definatly not prime however as Doug correctly pointed out I wont harvest a Tom cougar while lying on the couch.:???:...pretty sure he's right..again.

With just over 2 weeks till my next surgery..this time right knee from my work accident last spring...this years chances are slowly slipping away ..due to my issues..Doug has been a very accomadating gentlman ever so patient with my screwy schedule, numerous surgeries etc etc..

I will take some photos....and hopefully we will push out some big old cougars.. for the dogs to tree...

Big Bore 14..yes I plan to hold out for a mature old tom, one of the reasons to have taken and studied the cougar aging studies...I will only get one chance to do this and one cat for a lifesize...I want it to be a old male and big..

wish me success..and stamina..

cheers
Steven

landphil
01-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Good luck to you, lookin' foward to hearing of a sucessful hunt with some great photos.:-D

BiG Boar
01-27-2011, 02:12 PM
So let me get this straight. You're going to grab a hold of this here said live flesh eating cougar, open its jaws, and look straight into its mouth like some kind of cat Dentist?

I donno Steve, seems like you could get bit.

srupp
01-27-2011, 02:20 PM
naaaaw...Dave ALL west Chilcotin Cougars are taught from young kittens to avoid all foods high in cholesterol and fat...Im safe..:mrgreen:

with binos from the bottom of the tree one can tell the sex of a cat..and by looking at the other end the buisness end...one can tell by the shape of the teeth, wear patterns, color approx age...long pristine white teeth with concave surface = young cat regardless of size and weight////

Steven:wink:

BiG Boar
01-27-2011, 02:25 PM
I am just picturing you climbing this tree. "now, open up and say ahhhh!"

ROFL

bighornbob
01-27-2011, 03:12 PM
With just over 2 weeks till my next surgery..this time right knee from my work accident last spring...this years chances are slowly slipping away ..due to my issues..Doug has been a very accomadating gentlman ever so patient with my screwy schedule, numerous surgeries etc etc..
Steven

Sure you wont be shooting a cougar from your couch but dont you think you are pushing it a little? You just had some surgery, you are waiting for more and you are thinking of going cougar hunting??? Obviously I do not know what you have had/have but if it was me I would be laying on the couch until I was better. This is a cougar hunt (probably one of the toughest hunts out there) not a sit in a stand over a bear bait hunt. I would hate to see you do more damage.

Like I said if it were me I would wait until I was healed up before I went.

BHB

BiG Boar
01-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Sure you wont be shooting a cougar from your couch but dont you think you are pushing it a little? You just had some surgery, you are waiting for more and you are thinking of going cougar hunting??? Obviously I do not know what you have had/have but if it was me I would be laying on the couch until I was better. This is a cougar hunt (probably one of the toughest hunts out there) not a sit in a stand over a bear bait hunt. I would hate to see you do more damage.

Like I said if it were me I would wait until I was healed up before I went.

BHB

Don't be a pussy, kill a pussy. Have your warm milk in the hospital!

rocksteady
01-28-2011, 08:34 AM
Best of luck to you Steven....Hope you smack a big tom that will be a great addition to your trophy room......

chilcotin hillbilly
01-28-2011, 06:46 PM
hmmmm end of day 1..one of the dogs..Cookie wanted to steer the snomobile...lol snowing and having a blast...

cheers

Steven Rupp

BiG Boar
01-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Hey Steve, you're logged in under his account, change chilcotin hillbilly sig line to something like, I am bad at hunting!

rocksteady
01-28-2011, 07:39 PM
having a blast...

cheers

Steven Rupp

Thats what shes all about.....If you ain't having fun, no use doing it.....Keep at it and hopeto see some pictures soon....

BlacktailStalker
01-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Snowing !? Whats that :(
The cats are running around in gum boots and rain coats here.

srupp
01-30-2011, 04:55 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100240001_2.jpg

srr

srupp
01-30-2011, 04:57 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100110001_1-1.jpg

srupp
01-30-2011, 04:58 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100220001.jpg

srr

srupp
01-30-2011, 04:59 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100160001_2.jpg

srr

srupp
01-30-2011, 05:00 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100150001_1.jpg

srr

srupp
01-30-2011, 05:00 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100260001.jpg

srr

houndogger
01-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Conditions look perfect! Any tracks?

srupp
01-30-2011, 05:23 PM
hmmmm I don't know who you mean is a bad Hunter, it's certainly not Doug nor myself cant Figure that one out David.?:confused:Well another few days come and passed and we went from Tatlyoko Lake it still was not frozen all the way up to the mountain tops on snowmobile. We covered hundred kms by vehicle and perhaps another 75 or 80 km by snowmobile. On one ridge we found eight bucks all still with their antlers and a ton of does so the food was good for the cougars. The one day we went quite a considerable distance on the snowmobiles and so we each took I dog on the sled with us, I had cookie and she wanted to steer ..... Not so good:mrgreen:

Doug is an exceptional Hunter he took the time and patience to stop the sleds and show me what each cougar track meant, size whether it was a girl or a boy and how fast the cat was moving, I'm not sure about other cougar hunters but Doug certainly knows his stuff. I was treated to gourmet meals by Julie, Doug's better half, and even learned that Jaguar does not start with a G... Each night found 4 or five dogs in the house which lent itself to real rustic atmosphere. I never felt like a client but as a member of the family, a special thanks to Tank for that..

We found cougar tracks some old, other smoking fresh however the smoking fresh tracks belong to a female cougar and I felt there was no use running the cougar and jeopardizing the dogs health for something that wasn't going to be harvested, although Doug was always eager to tree a cougar.

It's really difficult, at least for me to express just how well Doug knew his area and the cougar population trails and the habits of this secretive animal. The scenery was spectacular and my photographic skills do not do it justice.

We had a small adventure on the road with this good snowmobiles, that fortunately turned out well, as well is a minor equipment failure that Doug handled without a second thought, and we both made it home in time for supper.

I look forward to getting back after recuperation from surgery, perhaps not the wisest move after my last surgery and just prior to my next surgery... But I'm very glad I went, am amazed at how much I learned am so ever grateful to Julie and Doug.

Cheers

Steven

Spokerider
01-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Steven,
From your writings, it is without question, apparent that you have a zest for life, a love of nature, a quest for adventure, and a demonstrated respect for all of natures critters, as well as compassion for those folks around you. I enjoy your writings. Kudos to you and thanks.

Good luck with your surgery.

srupp
01-31-2011, 12:15 PM
Those of us that choose to harvest a life, also know the value of life, and as a Paramedic it kinda doubles up..:wink:

I knew Doug would have tree'd that female had I not been there,however chasing something that we would have just walked away from ..I didnt want to risk any more dogs getting torn up..

Doug has been EXCEPTIONALLy easy on me..seeing I just got out frome emergency surgery..and the really difficult adverse results...and Feb 15th starts the next surgery...Doug has been very polite, not once did I ever hear "suck it up princess":mrgreen: and not once have I complained..Im there to experience and learn about the world of the mountain lion from one of the very best....should I be out there?? probably not...but I AM loving it..I know moose calling, and Cali sheep, and a lot about black bears and grizzlies..but for Sturgeon..I call Mike or Thoms THEY know...for stone sheep lots far better than me...Scott, Bridger,Rams,Deaddog..etc etc etc..but I am trying to learn..and in the process have come to appreciate the beauty of the Tatlyoko valley...and WHY it holds the cougars ,and why such big beasts...

And being beside Doug waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the frozen mountains and having snow machine act up...no biggeeeeee...Doug had us on our way back for supper with hardly much delay...safetly brought both machines down off the mountain...also amazed that this lake doesnt freeze..its 26 below celsius ????:confused:

probably last time out this year????but memories for a complete lifetime... and take my wife out this summer for her to walk this beautiful valley and experience another spectacular one of Gods creations...

cheers
Steven