PDA

View Full Version : Bow only season, why?

Stéphane
12-24-2010, 09:41 AM
When I began hunting last fall, I was really happy to have a bow only season. Why? Well, in Québec, where I'm from, every hunters had to wear blaze during open season. Bow hunters had crack at it without blaze for a week or so prior to the open season. On top of it, bow hunters were allowed to hunt doe. I don't remember if it were all season long or not.

It is only half way through the season this year that I realised it wasn't mandatory here in BC. Yet I still wore bright orange while searching for grouse. Because I didn't want to get shot. This is from fear ingrained in me from hunting back east.

I've had the pleasure to meet with Steeleco and he mentioned to me that in Ontario it was the same rules. He also told that the blaze was a necessity because the hunting season was so short that you had a lot of hunters hitting the woods at the same time.

In these places, a bow only season makes sense as there are way to many hunters congregating in the woods at the same time. A time for bow hunters to get closer to their games, without blaze, before a sea of riffles hit the forest isn't that ridiculous.

Although I was all in favour of a bow only season at first, I changed my mind because our season is so long and has no tidal wave of hunters engulfing the hunting grounds. They are spread out and a lot safer than anything on the east coast.

I don't intend to ever use a riffle to go hunting. I've managed to kill grouses, ptarmigans and I intend to get a deer next year.

It has been said over and over that the differences of opinions among the hunters can be more detrimental that groups that are against our sport. United we should stand!

I would like to get clarifications on the reasons behind the bow only season. Perhaps, it is us, bow hunters, who need to be more inclusive and take the first step.

Stéphane

BiG Boar
12-24-2010, 10:02 AM
I think it just extends the season for some people. They are giving hunters more oportunity and they realize the numbers harvested in the bow only season are far less than in rifle season. Also more money is spent by hunters who want to extend thier season and buy gear to do it. I wish they would give us a muzzleloader season also. By being bow only first it gives hunters a better chance to get close to animals before they get spooky. They havnt been shot at yet.

ThinAir
12-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Why not?

BH is harder, it allows me more opportunity.
Plain and simple

willyqbc
12-24-2010, 10:32 AM
It's about creating opportunity that would not otherwise exist under an any weapon season. Due to extremely low success rates the ministry is able to open additional opportunity without fear of a high harvest. I have a hard time with the idea that a bow season is not inclusive....there seems to be a perception out there that only certain "special" people can bowhunt. Since when was there anything stopping anyone who wants to from learning how to shoot a bow and taking advantage of these additional opportunities? It does take some hard work and a different skill set, but so does sheep hunting. These bow only opportunities are for everyone, just depends on whether or not you want to work to take advantage of them!

my .02 cents
Chris

Bow Walker
12-24-2010, 10:46 AM
The "Bow Only" season(s) - imho - were put in place because of the perception (and the reality) of the difficulty that bowhunters have in actually harvesting any big game.

As others have stated - it is extremely difficult to be successful when you hunt with a compound or a traditional bow. It is a bit less difficult when using a crossbow simply because of the extended range and speed of the crossbow bolt.

Hence, the "Bow Only" season so that we can get out there before the bush is filled gun hunters.

Kirby
12-24-2010, 11:26 AM
I don't get it, bowhunting is all about the challenge right? Shouldn't bow hunters be pushing for SHORTER seasons to make it harder?;-)

Kirby

ThinAir
12-24-2010, 11:39 AM
I don't get it, bowhunting is all about the challenge right? Shouldn't bow hunters be pushing for SHORTER seasons to make it harder?;-)

Kirby

Yes I agree...it's all about the challenge. Truth is, I would still bowhunt if there weren't any archery seasons/zones.

Having said that, I'm not against using the advantages Iv'e been given:mrgreen:

Steeleco
12-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Why not?? I admire you guys that have the skill and patience to elevate your game. I once had a very juicy offer from Ddog to take up the skill set.
Damn most years I'm lucky if I can get under 200yards on game let alone 20.

12-24-2010, 11:55 AM
I have never owned a bow and have never shot a bow nor do i intend to hunt with one

That being said i fully aggree with a bow only / youth season. I aggree with increased oppritunity. I think bow hunters need a bit before us rifle hunters get out there and i believe kids do too. Just because i dont bow hunt and dont got kids doesnt mean others cant have increased chance.

formost I love hunting in all forms and we need to stay togeather and start young so we stop being a dying breed.

chilcotin hillbilly
12-24-2010, 12:03 PM
The bow season is a good way to entice people to spend more on gear as well as give the guys who want to take it up a notch extra time in the bush with out added pressure. Everyone has the same opportunity so no one better complain. I would not allow crossbows in the same season as they take no practise to become competent with them, unlike compound and traditional gear. Sight them in and your good for the season. Ask a real bow hunter how many arrows it takes to confidently shoot game at 50 yards, its alot. The answer is a lot, each and every year.

Lee
12-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I'm glad for the early season bow hunt. I don't even dare try it while rifle is on, and more for the fact that the animals get way spookier as it progresses. How you hunt game will always make a big difference no matter what, but I'll take an extended season with limited competition any day!

Now if all those truck/quad hunters with crossbows could be converted..... :p:p:p

aliagha
12-24-2010, 01:18 PM
always heard great things about bow hunting and after i get my last crack on the youth season next year, i definitely plan on taking on bow hunting, might start with a crossbow but will make my way to compounds.

12-24-2010, 01:21 PM
It's not about limiting competition so bow hunters can be more successful or to provide a quality bowhunting experience. Like the OP said there's not much crowding in most areas in BC and any bowhunter with a good set of legs can get a quality experience even in the middle of the GOS. It's not about getting people to buy more equipment or anyhting else like that.

It's all about opportunity, A couple weeks can be added before and after regular seasons to increase opportunity and potential days afield without worrying about an over-harvest.

M.Dean
12-24-2010, 01:25 PM
The "REAL" reason Bow Hunters are allowed in the bush a week before us Rifle Hunters is for safety reasons! This way, if there is any Unstable Bears, Coyotes or Wolves etc running around, they'll eat the Bow Hunters, thus choking to death on the Arrows and saving the Valuable life of a Rifle Hunter! The Bow Only season is based on Statistic's taken from research gathered during Land Mine Clearing Test's in Rice Paddy's! For a few days before Grazing Cattle in the Paddy's, the weaker of the Village were made to walk back and forth through the Fields with a Long stick, poking it in the mud looking for Land Mines, it worked great! If a Cow was killed by a Land Mine it was quite a loss, but some guy with a stick, oh well, there's lots more where he came from! So,That my Friends, is why we get these select few to go into the woods before us with sticks each year!!!:smile:

Ron.C
12-24-2010, 01:34 PM
The bow season is a good way to entice people to spend more on gear as well as give the guys who want to take it up a notch extra time in the bush with out added pressure. Everyone has the same opportunity so no one better complain. I would not allow crossbows in the same season as they take no practise to become competent with them, unlike compound and traditional gear. Sight them in and your good for the season. Ask a real bow hunter how many arrows it takes to confidently shoot game at 50 yards, its alot. The answer is a lot, each and every year.

As for the origional post in this thread, Not sure exactly why but the two reason I can think of are to create opportunity and as a management tool.

I agree with you, but find it interesting that you say "everyone has the same opportunity so no one better complain"? Then go on to put down a cross bow hunter for taking advantage of that opportunity. I always find it sad at how some are quick to condemn crossbow hunters because they choose to use a type of bow that is easier to become proficent at. Maybe there is more to being a "real " bowhunter then your choice of bow. One may consitently hit the 10 ring at 50 yards with a compound, but be lousy woodsman/hunter.
This type of attitude is what in my opinion will ultimately result in the loss of the bow season. Hunters moaning about how others choose to hunt because it is different from their own way.

huntwriter
12-24-2010, 02:21 PM
I agree with you, but find it interesting that you say "everyone has the same opportunity so no one better complain"? Then go on to put down a cross bow hunter for taking advantage of that opportunity. I always find it sad at how some are quick to condemn crossbow hunters because they choose to use a type of bow that is easier to become proficent at. Maybe there is more to being a "real " bowhunter then your choice of bow. One may consitently hit the 10 ring at 50 yards with a compound, but be lousy woodsman/hunter.
This type of attitude is what in my opinion will ultimately result in the loss of the bow season. Hunters moaning about how others choose to hunt because it is different from their own way.

Very well said and my sentiments exactly. To many hunters worry what other hunters use. Just get out and hunt and let everyone else do the same with whatever he/she may choose. It's all good.

As for the bow only season it is not needed here in BC, unlike some other places where it can get really crowded in the woods. Here in BC we have lots of space to get out of each others way. In fact I do most of my bowhunting during the firearm season and never had a problem or felt that I am disadvantaged. However, the bow only season is good as it creates opportunity and gets more people into hunting. It also adds variety to the sport. I am convinced that many hunters picked up a bow because of that special season.

savagecanuck
12-24-2010, 02:32 PM

Opinions are like said above [assholes ]eveyone has one.I too belive comments like this can only ruin more open opportunities for all of us.Go into an archey shop and talk smak about x bows and see where it gets you as they sell and promote both types of archery hunting.BTW hillbilly have you ever hunted with a crossbow? Its not as easy as it sounds or looks as you have to be a great judge of distance so as not to injure a your game and make a great kill shot.I could say the same about rifle hunting not being fair ,come on get a life

Lee
12-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Just to clarify - I was being sarcastic about the crossbow comment - I neither care nor have any interest in how you harvested to fill your freezer!

It always ends up being the same thing when the crossbow v. bow conversation starts up though. All that aside....

I'm sorry savage but

"..have you ever hunted with a crossbow? Its not as easy as it sounds or looks as you have to be a great judge of distance so as not to injure a your game and make a great kill shot."

Same could be said about using a bow, couldn't it? Hardly the argument to present - if you're a poor judge of range, and use a range finder to compensate for that - consider the ramifications in the xbow v. bow scenario. Not much really, but with a bow it's usually not sitting ready to shoot at the press of the trigger.

In defense of the xbow though - "...they take no practise to become competent with them, unlike compound and traditional gear." - How would you sight them in without some form of practice?

I use a bow because I enjoy it. If I owned a crossbow I'd probably use that too. I don't, so I'll poke harmless fun at someone who (hopefully) understands that getting off the fence to one side or the other still doesn't understand that at the end of the day you're still using a pointy stick to kill things with.

Are you less of a hunter if you use a round rock v. an oval rock to successfully 'bring home the bacon'?????

PS : poke :: poke : Ever notice that when the subject of bow v. xbow comes up it's always the xbow hunters that get their backs up about it??? :p:p:p:p ;)

huntwriter
12-24-2010, 06:40 PM
I would not allow crossbows in the same season as they take no practise to become competent with them, unlike compound and traditional gear. Sight them in and your good for the season. Ask a real bow hunter how many arrows it takes to confidently shoot game at 50 yards, its alot. The answer is a lot, each and every year.

This is a statement often heard and it is almost always made by people that never shot, let alone, hunted with a crossbow.

As a bowhunter I use traditional bows, compounds and crossbows. True, of three the crossbow is the easiest to learn, but still far from sighting in a be ready to go hunting. Besides, since when has the quality of hunting experience or what makes a better hunter dependent on the type of wepon that is chosen? I've a friend that only uses traditional bows and he kills every year several deer and some of them he shoots at up to 50 yards from his stand. He just laughs every time somebody says that crossbows have an advantage, and quite rightly so. Hunting success, as in killing game, does not depend on the weapon you chose but on how good you're at scouting and finding deer. The weapon is just a tool, it does not the hunting for you. If you do not know how to find deer then the most modern bow or gun will be useless to you. On the other hand if you're a good hunter and get close to deer it doesn't matter to them if you kill them with a traditional bow, compound or crossbow.

Don't worry so much what other hunters use, just go out hunt and enjoy it the way you want and let others do the same.

HIGHRPM
12-24-2010, 09:02 PM
For safety reasons I would hope. I hunt with a compound bow and rifle and enjoy them both as they are both challenging in their own way. Never shot a crossbow and don't see the need since hunting with a bow is far more challenging. I support the seperate seasons due largely to the fact that I have seen rifle hunters empty their clips and then say they saw something! Dam scarey if your a bow hunter in full camo. The more seasons the better.

Lee
12-24-2010, 09:24 PM
"The more seasons the better."

I'm still trying to convince my wife to move to Texada Island for the extended bow season there....will probably happen faster than crossbow only season ;)

bugler
12-25-2010, 02:50 PM
I hunt all season long with bow, but I originally tried it because there was an early bow season, and I got hooked. All we really have left for pure bow season is the late whitetail here in EK but it is nice to get out before the masses, even though a few juniors are stirring up the game. As stated, it is about opening opportunity that would not be sustainable otherwise.

As for crossbows, I'm ok with the weapon being allowed in bow season, I just wish that more of them would show up at the 3-D shoots to get some good practise in. The only real advantage they have is that you don't have to move when the game is close to you. You still need to practise, albeit not quite as much as a compound or traditional.

Fisher-Dude
12-25-2010, 04:03 PM
I support the seperate seasons due largely to the fact that I have seen rifle hunters empty their clips and then say they saw something!

Yeah, right. What about the jackass bow hunter who flings a quiver full into the bushes because they thought they saw something?

Lee
12-25-2010, 05:06 PM
I can unload and reload my 30-06 alot faster than I can shoot and recover my quiver full of arrows. But then again, when I'm shooting arrows I usually do it with my eyes closed because anything outside of the 50 yard kill zone isn't as easily identified. Same goes for the 30 ought too, but I can reach a mile or so with that....

Bow Walker
12-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by HIGHRPM http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=817991#post817991)
I support the seperate seasons due largely to the fact that I have seen rifle hunters empty their clips and then say they saw something!

Fisherdude
Yeah, right. What about the jackass bow hunter who flings a quiver full into the bushes because they thought they saw something?

When and where have you seen or heard of a bow hunter doing that?!? Is this the infamous "Chinese" that you so readily bash? Post up something that is at least semi-intelligent. :confused:

Bow hunters' identify their game before they shoot. It's just something that comes naturally. :)

greybark
12-25-2010, 07:49 PM
:-D WOW, Hrpm refers to "Rifle hunters" and Fisher-Dude refers to "Jackass Bowhunters. F-D that must be one son-of-bitch of a Burr under your saddle .:-D

Cheers

Old Crow
12-25-2010, 07:51 PM
I heard next year there's gonna be a Longbow only season for 3 months, but you have to hunt from Horseback, while moving, wearing a Bootsy Collins Disco suit, and you have to have 8 shots of Cuervo before you start. That should bring the success rate right down from almost bugger all to sweet bugger all. :D

As for crossbows, I'm ok with the weapon being allowed in bow season, I just wish that more of them would show up at the 3-D shoots to get some good practise in.
Point and shoot 3D? Now that's an interesting concept......... LMAO

greybark
12-25-2010, 08:00 PM

:-D Interesting I never heard of "Flinging a Quiver Full of Arrows" How does the quiver fit on the string ?
:-D Does the quiver peel off in flight releasing a deadly shower of arrows ?
Answer when you remove your foot .......

Onesock
12-25-2010, 08:17 PM
I read somewhere FD was the voice of the BCWF. I believe it now!!!

greybark
12-25-2010, 08:53 PM

:-D Since my max Bowhunting range is 25yds and i can`t see what is in a bush I must be Blind . Come to think of it I`m due for eye surgury in two weeks ..... F-D your right on this .
Cheers

Gateholio
12-25-2010, 09:16 PM
For safety reasons I would hope. I hunt with a compound bow and rifle and enjoy them both as they are both challenging in their own way. Never shot a crossbow and don't see the need since hunting with a bow is far more challenging. I support the seperate seasons due largely to the fact that I have seen rifle hunters empty their clips and then say they saw something! Dam scarey if your a bow hunter in full camo. The more seasons the better.

How come there aren't dozens of dead rifle hunters every year? More hunters, lots of camo should = lots of rifle hunters getting shot. But it doesn't. Hmm....

Phreddy
12-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Careful Stephane. Some very touchy bow hunters on this site who get pretty insulting and ornery when it comes to protecting their extra rights.
If one is wealthy enough to be able to afford to do both, great, but they tend to feel far more "equal" that the rest of us. The arguement that it provides more hunting opportunities for all is great if you are one of the select few that can afford to buy equipment for both types of hunting. As Albert the alligator in the old comic strip "Pogo" once said, "We have met the enemy. And it is us.".

savagecanuck
12-25-2010, 10:26 PM

At approx $25-$30 for a quality bolt and broadhead who could afford to empty your quiver into the bushes.Personally I prefer to shoot at a nice buck and not the bushes:mrgreen:

Fisher-Dude
12-26-2010, 12:29 AM
When and where have you seen or heard of a bow hunter doing that?!? Is this the infamous "Chinese" that you so readily bash? Post up something that is at least semi-intelligent. :confused:

Bow hunters' identify their game before they shoot. It's just something that comes naturally. :)

So you're telling us that all bow hunters are just so ****ing responsible that they would NEVER do something stupid? Bull. Hunters are hunters, and if a few are irresponsible jackasses that shoot first and ask questions later, there's no less percentage of bow hunters that are so as there are rifle hunters.

Get off your high horse. It's that type of elitism that others have referred to in this thread that gives you bow boys a bad rep and causes a lack of support for your style of hunting from other hunters.

Old Crow
12-26-2010, 01:07 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/themarbleintheoatmeal/smilies/watchdrama8jm.gif Gonna get comfortable here....might be a long movie.... http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/themarbleintheoatmeal/smilies/watchdrama8jm.gif

The Hermit
12-26-2010, 09:44 AM
In the same way that we all agree that poachers are not hunters, I think that anyone using either a rifle or bow that would shoot at an unconfirmed target is a ****ing asshole idiot and not a hunter! And FD you are kidding right? LOL

Bow Walker
12-26-2010, 10:08 AM
So you're telling us that all bow hunters are just so ****ing responsible that they would NEVER do something stupid? Bull. Hunters are hunters, and if a few are irresponsible jackasses that shoot first and ask questions later, there's no less percentage of bow hunters that are so as there are rifle hunters.

Get off your high horse. It's that type of elitism that others have referred to in this thread that gives you bow boys a bad rep and causes a lack of support for your style of hunting from other hunters.

You might find it surprising that I agree with your statement that I bold-ed and italicized. Hunters are comprised of people. People make mistakes. The genuine mistakes are, fortunately, few and far between. The idiotic and ignorant mistakes, however, far out number the genuine ones. Yes - there are A-holes on both sides of the fence, but I'm not one of them.

Mistakes happen whether or not you hunt with a bow or a gun - which I do both. If you consider the subject of "shooting-first-and-asking-questions-later" seriously I think you will come to the obvious conclusion that spraying the bushes with arrows is far less effective than with bullets. Bow hunters might take a very low percentage shot but they won't just up and "empty the quiver" into a pile of brush in the hopes of killing/hitting something. That idea is just idiotic - even for the "ignorant".

Even if I had a "high horse", I am not the type of guy to put myself above others either in the way I hunt or in the way anyone else hunts. I do not consider myself to be "elite" just because I prefer the bow to hunt with, over a gun.

Yes, I agree, there are some bow hunters who do consider themselves "better" or "more skilled" than gun hunters. That type of bow hunter isn't welcome around my campfire nor are they numbered among my friends, let alone acquaintances. The lack of support for my style of hunting that you refer to is based on not fully understanding what it takes to kill an animal using a bow. It's not elitism, it's just a different way of harvesting a game animal.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/themarbleintheoatmeal/smilies/watchdrama8jm.gif Gonna get comfortable here....might be a long movie.... http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/themarbleintheoatmeal/smilies/watchdrama8jm.gif
Nope. Not a long movie. He's just the cartoon before the movie.:wink:

Bow Walker
12-26-2010, 10:19 AM
Sorry for the hi-jack Stephane. Let's get back on topic.

Big Lew
12-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Well stated, "BowWalker", I hunted with rifles and shotguns for many years before switching to primilary using a bow the last 25 years or so. At no time did I, or have I thought, as a bow hunter, I was better than, or "above" hunters using firearms. I switched to a bow in order to enjoy hunting early in the season, and for the challenge of "spot and stalk". About the only situations that I feel I am better than, or "above others" are my ethics while hunting regardless of what weapon I am using at the time. I have never, and will never "sound shoot", or "shoot into the bushes", hoping to hit something, nor shoot at a sky-lined animal, or at an animal not presenting a reasonable shot at it's vitals. I have witnessed individuals shooting deer in the ass and emptying their guns as fast as they could shoot at running animals outside of normal distances, hoping to hit the animal somewhere, anywhere, as long as they get it. I've also come upon many, many dead cows, horses, moose, and deer that were shot and left to rot. Most of the cows and horses were hit in parts of the body that an ethical hunter would not aim at, or shot at night, quite often around the face area, suggesting someone aimed at their shining eyes. I consider these un-ethical persons to be morons and --s holes, not hunters.

willyqbc
12-26-2010, 11:03 AM
The arguement that it provides more hunting opportunities for all is great if you are one of the select few that can afford to buy equipment for both types of hunting.

Sorry, I don't buy this argument. Lets look at sheep hunting. ultralight tent,, ultralight sleeping bag, pack etc, etc. Gear for a pack in hunt can easily reach or exceed the cost of getting into bowhunting, should we limit sheep opportunity because not everyone can afford to do it? For that matter there are folks that cannot afford to hunt at all......affordability should not be a criteria for determining opportunity.

Also in regards to the "ease" of shooting a Xbow and the myth that they will outshoot a compound. Any decent compound will outperform a xbow at distance. Take your average compound and average Xbow and shoot them both at 50 yds, there will be noticeably more drop in the crosboow bolt as it is very inefficient and bleeds energy MUCH quicker than a conventional arrow. As far as the "point and click" accuracy of a Xbow.....there was a big contingent of Xbow shooters at the 3D nationals in Ontario a few years ago. The highest scoring Xbow shooter would not have made the top 5 in any of the mens compound categories. The Xbow is not a magic bullet solution to get into bowhunting, it requires practice just like any other weapon.

Just my opinion
Chris

Phreddy
12-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Yes I agree...it's all about the challenge. Truth is, I would still bowhunt if there weren't any archery seasons/zones.

Having said that, I'm not against using the advantages Iv'e been given:mrgreen:

According to some verrry tender qand touchy souls on another site, there are no "advantages" given to bow hunters.

bugler
12-26-2010, 12:34 PM
There are no advantages given to bowhunters, as anybody can do it. You can buy a used bow and some arrows to match for about what the most gunners should (I said should) spend on practise ammo in a couple of years. They are a small part of the hunting budget. Also, physically almost anyone can do it, from many 12 year old kids I know up to a man with one arm, who can outshoot any one of us with his compound, and is an accomplished bowhunter.

So, why bow season? To provide some extra quality hunting time with no down side.

Mountaintop
12-26-2010, 01:47 PM
I have been staying on the sidelines on this one but I think I need to make a couple comments. For full disclosure, I am a new hunter and I use a crossbow.

Before I got into hunting I was not an anti but was decidedly apathetic. More season, less season, gun season, bow only it made no difference to me. It also would have made no difference to me if hunting was abolished. I also don’t think I was much different than most other people that don’t hunt. They just don’t think about it all that much.

Having a bow only season is of no use to me in my region as my local rules allow only shotgun or bow all season. But look at what my being able to use a crossbow has done. It has taken someone who would not have cared and made a hunter and hunting supporter from one that would not have become involved. I have also shown several of my friends that hunting and hunters are not so bad. So, now there are several new voices that would support hunting if and when the time came to defend those rights. The more people that hunt and supporting hunting the better. Rights are taken away when there are few to defend them.

Bow hunters can be just as stupid as rifle hunters. When I was in high school a good friend of mine was killed by a bow hunter that was shooting at movement in the bush. My friend was on a well marked hiking trail but was never visually ID’d before he was shot.

As for cross bows being easier to master than verticals, all I can say is that when I first started with mine I got some help for a vertical bow guy. I practiced all summer and put somewhere near 800 shots through my crossbow before I felt like I was good enough to go after a living thing. With all that practice I still have problems keeping a two inch group though I have seen my friend Robin Hood three times with his compound. For me, respect for your prey demands you be as good as you can be with your choice of weapon.

Everywhere you go the rules are what they are. Take advantage of what is available to you and don’t be pissed off about what or different rules may apply to others. As my mother used to say, don’t fight, play nice.

If there is a bow only season I would have to vote for safety being one reason. Someone trying to get within 25 yards of a deer could be hit by someone shooting at that same deer from 200 yards. Also, I would think the bow only season would be a way to make a longer season as the bow only harvest would likely not be so much that it would really upset the management plan for that area.

deer nut
12-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Extended seasons encourage people to take up archery too! There has to be some advantage.....

quadrakid
12-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Bow seasons as they stand don,t cause too much friction in the hunting community. The problems will get worse if some members of the bowhunting community would have their way.How would you all feel if certain areas were set aside as bow only? Conuma valley on vancouver island is Bow Only all season.How would it go over if parts of the rifle season say,during the rut were closed to rifle but open for bow? I hunt with both rifle and bow but worry about the folks who have only ever hunted with a bow and have a bit of attitude.

savagecanuck
12-26-2010, 09:50 PM
I too do not buy the argument about affordability as most rifle hunters have way more money invested in their rifle and scope than a bow or Xbow.It all about taking advantage of the seasons and as far as I know as long as you qualify to hunt, bow only season is open to any of us PERIOD.I started bow hunting about 6yrs ago with a used ten point x bow just to xtend my love of hunting[being in the bush]It took me until last year to get my first bow buck,a nice med sized 4 point which I followed up with a much bigger 4 point this year.I can tell you I have had way more satisfaction with these 2 bow bucks than any of my prevoius 30-40 Bucks I have shot with a rifle over the past 30yrs.I love it so much I bought a new Equinox excalibur ,thus puting more money back into our lagging economy.To all the nay sayers try it you might just like it,plus it beats sitting home with the wife when rifle season is over

Bow Walker
12-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Unfortunately, 'ignorants' with attitude, plus loud mouths are often seen as representing the majority. They most certainly do not!

The majority, again unfortunately, are all too often silent. Either through apathy or through not knowing where to voice their thoughts/opinions. They ought to join a club or two...

ThinAir
12-27-2010, 12:11 AM
According to some verrry tender qand touchy souls on another site, there are no "advantages" given to bow hunters.

The fact I can hunt earlier/later in a given season because of archery is my advantage.
I can assure you, I'm not at an advantage when hunting with my bow.
I don't use my bow to kill more stuff.... just to be able to hunt more.

12-27-2010, 07:04 AM
The way I see it:

Hunting with a bow certainly does not give one an advantage over other hunters, more likely a disadvantage when specifically compared to rifle hunting considering success rates. Bow only seasons are not an advantage to established bowhunters only, since everyone is free to bowhunt if they choose to. Similarily, bowhunters are not disadvantaged by short bow only seasons since they are not restricted to bow only seasons (except by personal choice). They are free to use rifles or bows and take advantage of any GOS or LEH season that exists if they so choose.

Let's not confuse the difference between opportunity and advantage.
Bowhunting seasons are an opportunity to lengthen the regular season and everyone is free to take advantage of the opportunity they provide. That's an opportunity, not an advantage. All BC resident hunters are free to take advantage of any and all opportunities offered to all persons who have a BC resident hunter number.

Some may take advantage of the opportunity, some for various reasons may not. Some just want to spend more time in the great outdoors hunting and the seasons are a great opportunity for them. Some may only be interested in filling the freezer and might not consider the oppotunity worthwhile or cost effective considering the low success rate and high degree of difficulty.

However, no matter how you look at it, all the opportunities for all the seasons that exist remain available to everybody. Bowhunters are free to enjoy rifle seasons if they want to, some may not choose to but that then becomes a personal choice, not a restriction.

Quality hunting experiences come to mind. Some want to hunt in solitude without other hunters around. Quality to some means the availability of large trophy animals. Some trophy hunters are selfish and campaign for trophy management regimes even though they know it will reduce opportunity for the masses. Some bowhunters campaign for more bow only seasons even if they can only be had by shortening general seasons and reduceing opportunities for the masses. Some hunters want to hunt in solitude and campaign for LEH season even though they are aware this will reuce opportunities for the masses. Luckily (I would like to think anyway) that most bowhunters, trophy hunters, quality hunters, etc, are "not" selfish and will "not" campaign for any special regulations, management regimes, or special seasons that will discourage novice hunters, reduce hunter numbers, detract from the future of hunting in any way, or lessen the little political influence that hunters might have in protectig the future of our sport.

Stéphane
12-27-2010, 07:39 AM
I have been staying on the sidelines on this one but I think I need to make a couple comments. For full disclosure, I am a new hunter and I use a crossbow.

Before I got into hunting I was not an anti but was decidedly apathetic. More season, less season, gun season, bow only it made no difference to me. It also would have made no difference to me if hunting was abolished. I also don’t think I was much different than most other people that don’t hunt. They just don’t think about it all that much.

Having a bow only season is of no use to me in my region as my local rules allow only shotgun or bow all season. But look at what my being able to use a crossbow has done. It has taken someone who would not have cared and made a hunter and hunting supporter from one that would not have become involved. I have also shown several of my friends that hunting and hunters are not so bad. So, now there are several new voices that would support hunting if and when the time came to defend those rights. The more people that hunt and supporting hunting the better. Rights are taken away when there are few to defend them.

Bow hunters can be just as stupid as rifle hunters. When I was in high school a good friend of mine was killed by a bow hunter that was shooting at movement in the bush. My friend was on a well marked hiking trail but was never visually ID’d before he was shot.

As for cross bows being easier to master than verticals, all I can say is that when I first started with mine I got some help for a vertical bow guy. I practiced all summer and put somewhere near 800 shots through my crossbow before I felt like I was good enough to go after a living thing. With all that practice I still have problems keeping a two inch group though I have seen my friend Robin Hood three times with his compound. For me, respect for your prey demands you be as good as you can be with your choice of weapon.

Everywhere you go the rules are what they are. Take advantage of what is available to you and don’t be pissed off about what or different rules may apply to others. As my mother used to say, don’t fight, play nice.

If there is a bow only season I would have to vote for safety being one reason. Someone trying to get within 25 yards of a deer could be hit by someone shooting at that same deer from 200 yards. Also, I would think the bow only season would be a way to make a longer season as the bow only harvest would likely not be so much that it would really upset the management plan for that area.

Same boat as you. New to hunting, and I'm converting people who use to frown upon hunters to accepting them. I have no intention of ever using a gun, and like you, I felt safer to begin my career as hunter with only bow hunters.

I do feel safer now that I used to. I will get camo gear for next season and will hunt more during the firearm season too.

On another note, the infighters of crossbow vs bow, could you please stay away from this one? You've been highjacking 3 different threads of late and no closer to find some peace. This one has and wants nothing to do with your quarrels. Take it somewhere else!

huntwriter
12-27-2010, 07:44 AM
The way I see it:

Hunting with a bow certainly does not give one an advantage over other hunters, more likely a disadvantage when specifically compared to rifle hunting considering success rates. Bow only seasons are not an advantage to established bowhunters only, since everyone is free to bowhunt if they choose to. Similarily, bowhunters are not disadvantaged by short bow only seasons since they are not restricted to bow only seasons (except by personal choice). They are free to use rifles or bows and take advantage of any GOS or LEH season that exists if they so choose.

Let's not confuse the difference between opportunity and advantage.
Bowhunting seasons are an opportunity to lengthen the regular season and everyone is free to take advantage of the opportunity they provide. That's an opportunity, not an advantage. All BC resident hunters are free to take advantage of any and all opportunities offered to all persons who have a BC resident hunter number.

Some may take advantage of the opportunity, some for various reasons may not. Some just want to spend more time in the great outdoors hunting and the seasons are a great opportunity for them. Some may only be interested in filling the freezer and might not consider the oppotunity worthwhile or cost effective considering the low success rate and high degree of difficulty.

However, no matter how you look at it, all the opportunities for all the seasons that exist remain available to everybody. Bowhunters are free to enjoy rifle seasons if they want to, some may not choose to but that then becomes a personal choice, not a restriction.

Quality hunting experiences come to mind. Some want to hunt in solitude without other hunters around. Quality to some means the availability of large trophy animals. Some trophy hunters are selfish and campaign for trophy management regimes even though they know it will reduce opportunity for the masses. Some bowhunters campaign for more bow only seasons even if they can only be had by shortening general seasons and reduceing opportunities for the masses. Some hunters want to hunt in solitude and campaign for LEH season even though they are aware this will reuce opportunities for the masses. Luckily (I would like to think anyway) that most bowhunters, trophy hunters, quality hunters, etc, are "not" selfish and will "not" campaign for any special regulations, management regimes, or special seasons that will discourage novice hunters, reduce hunter numbers, detract from the future of hunting in any way, or lessen the little political influence that hunters might have in protectig the future of our sport.

Very well said.

12-27-2010, 08:15 AM
Very well said.

Thanks Oth, how are you guys in Merrit getting along without your mentor..? No one will ever be able to fill BO's shoes I think.
Guess you may have heard by now that we've lost another giant of a man over the weekend.

Phreddy
12-27-2010, 11:19 AM

Amen to that.

Phreddy
12-27-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm curious. We all know that, while it would be nice if every animal dropped dead in its tracks when shot, the reality is that some require a shot in the head to put it out of its misery. How do bow hunters deal with this issue?

HIGHRPM
12-27-2010, 12:19 PM
:-D WOW, Hrpm refers to "Rifle hunters" and Fisher-Dude refers to "Jackass Bowhunters. F-D that must be one son-of-bitch of a Burr under your saddle .:-D

Cheers
Hang on here. I stated that I felt safety was the big issue. I also stated that I am both a rifle and bow hunter, I love them both, I support them both. Don't put words in my mouth. Hunters are in my mind are all equal and should be treated equal and how they hunt should not be an issue. Again, I said I thought safety was the big issue, maybe I am wrong, But that is what I thought, everyone is entilted to their own opinion right ?

And regarding my statement, which was only to inforce my safety statement, regarding the rifle hunter unloading his gun at something that he did not indentify, I was the guy in camo, jumping behind a tree as bullets when screaming past me. So again, I felt it was a safety issue. Did not mean to piss anybody off or offend, if I did I am sorry.

HIGHRPM
12-27-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm curious. We all know that, while it would be nice if every animal dropped dead in its tracks when shot, the reality is that some require a shot in the head to put it out of its misery. How do bow hunters deal with this issue?

That part of bow hunting always gets to me. Bow hunting is very rarely a fast kill, I wish it were a fast kill but it's not. The very general rule of thumb is to let the animal rest and bleed out. I think it sucks myself, but have not been shown any other way to quiken the end. In a well placed shot the distance it travels is short and the wait is around 30 minutes so that you don't make it run off. I have made shots which dropped it straight down, but they are rare. If anybody has a much faster and humane way, let me know and I will do it in a heart beat. This is one part of hunting where I prefer my rifle, for the faster kill.

HIGHRPM
12-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Bow seasons as they stand don,t cause too much friction in the hunting community. The problems will get worse if some members of the bowhunting community would have their way.How would you all feel if certain areas were set aside as bow only? Conuma valley on vancouver island is Bow Only all season.How would it go over if parts of the rifle season say,during the rut were closed to rifle but open for bow? I hunt with both rifle and bow but worry about the folks who have only ever hunted with a bow and have a bit of attitude.

I think that would be terrible. I do both, I love both. They should remain as fair to the hunter as possible.I as a bow hunter and rifle hunter, hope I don't have an attitude. I don't want an advantage over anybody, just want to go out and hunt.

HIGHRPM
12-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Very well said.

I agree, very well stated, right to the point. We are all hunters no matter how we hunt. Support for each other is very important.

jetboat jim
12-27-2010, 01:32 PM
just a note from a newb hunter, a newb hunter that is restricted from firearms and cross bows. I have fished for many years and the same thing can be noted in the fishing comunity is there seems to be the great divide.

in fishing you have the flyguys the bait guys and then there are the gear guys, and every group seems to do the same thing....look down at what the other groups do, weather hunting or fishing.

some of us have no other options.

The Hermit
12-27-2010, 02:33 PM
That part of bow hunting always gets to me. Bow hunting is very rarely a fast kill, I wish it were a fast kill but it's not. The very general rule of thumb is to let the animal rest and bleed out. I think it sucks myself, but have not been shown any other way to quiken the end. In a well placed shot the distance it travels is short and the wait is around 30 minutes so that you don't make it run off. I have made shots which dropped it straight down, but they are rare. If anybody has a much faster and humane way, let me know and I will do it in a heart beat. This is one part of hunting where I prefer my rifle, for the faster kill.

The minimum 30 minute wait on what the shooter believes is a perfect shot is just insurance against optimistic shot evaluation. With a solid double lung and or heart shot the animal will die very quickly and not suffer the "shock" imparted with the massive kinetic energy a bullet delivers. Basically they will run for a few meters, get tired, bed down, and die within a few minutes. My bear died within 45 seconds, same with the WT deer. Unfortunately the BT I killed this year suffered a while due to a bad shot.

A bad shot is a bad shot regardless of which delivery method, and just on sheer numbers of hunters using rifles it stands to reason that rifle hunters wound and lose more animals than bowhunters.

bugler
12-27-2010, 02:38 PM

Going back awhile but when I hunted with the '06 almost none of the animals I killed dropped on the spot. They ran off a bit out of sight and were stone dead when I found them, same as now when I shoot with bow. Many that I shoot now walk off as if nothing happened and then fall over dead in sight, usually 30 seconds or less, no follow up required. On a couple occasions when the animal was still alive when I found it a well placed broadhead through the chest finished it quickly. Of course, this was only required because the first one wasn't so well placed.

steel_ram
12-27-2010, 05:37 PM

That's a tough disadvantage of arrows. First deer I shot was with a bow. Found him lieing there presumably dead, but he wasn't quite so. I don't carry a Rambo knife so I ended up shooting him in the forehead with an arrow, which did the job. Fortunately in 30 years hunting it hasn't happened again.

I did once have finish off a mortally wounded deer with a pipe wrench, since I couldn't convince the stunned little old lady to run over it again. So we improvise.

I could definately see finishing of being a little scarier with potentially dangerous animals, but then again, the increased potential of having the tables turned adds an attractive to some, "fair chase", aspect to the hunt.

Killing and death are never pretty. Maybe it's good that a few see it for what it reallty is.

Bow Walker
12-27-2010, 06:48 PM

Going back awhile but when I hunted with the '06 almost none of the animals I killed dropped on the spot. They ran off a bit out of sight and were stone dead when I found them, same as now when I shoot with bow. Many that I shoot now walk off as if nothing happened and then fall over dead in sight, usually 30 seconds or less, no follow up required. On a couple occasions when the animal was still alive when I found it a well placed broadhead through the chest finished it quickly. Of course, this was only required because the first one wasn't so well placed.

When I first started hunting I used a rifle - a .303, bought for me on my birthday (for $18.00 btw) - I just "threw lead" at the deer. Hopefully to hit it in the chest/head area....

What?!? Give me a break, I was 14 and in those days Dads at least mine) weren't into giving a whole lot of instruction/guidance to the second of three sons.

Anyway. I later learned to shoot for the head and I was pretty damned good at it. I limited myself to shots where the deer was standing still and within my "comfort zone" (although I didn't know enough to call it that in those days). The deer dropped dead on the spot.

When I took up bow hunting I practiced and practiced the "heart/lung" shot until it became second nature. I was unsuccessful for quite a number of years - hence the name "Bow Walker". Then I killed my first. It was an adrenalin-pumped moment for sure, and I managed (somehow) to hit the kill zone - although not the heart.

The deer was turned away from me and I took out part of the liver and one lung. It ran back down the trail from whence it had come and I lost sight of it after about 50 yards. I waited for about 10 minutes (it seemed like an hour) and then started down the trail after it. My arrow was long gone, over a bank and down into the riverbed somewhere.

I found it bedded down with its head up and just sort of bleeding internally. I felt like shit because of its suffering, but I was determined to "get" this deer - my first trophy. It got up before I could get close enough for a "coupe-de-grace" shot and bounded/limped into cover beneath a big ole cedar tree.

I pussy-footed around to the other side of the tree and saw it bedded down yet again. It had its head up and looking in my direction, so I nocked another arrow and shot it through the temple. Killed it right then and there - instantly. I must admit that I was surprised/relieved at the ease with which the arrow penetrated and went through the skull and out the other side. this last is for phreddy, in answer to his question. shoot it in the head phreddy.

The season before this last one I shot a nice three point at about 35 yards. It ran in a circle around my position and died right behind me (alright - it was a semi-circle). The point is, is that it ran only about 50 yards in total before piling up in a very dead heap. The arrow went through both lungs and missed the heart - but it was still a very lethal shot.

So. Deer can (and do) a lot of different things when shot with an arrow - a cutting edge, rather than a shocking bullet. Because as we all know deer die by bleeding out when shot with an arrow - they die from shock when shot with a bullet in the "boiler room".

Some hunting buddies have stood on the antlers of a dieing deer to immobilize the head while cutting the throat. This was after a rifle shot. I prefer a head shot as the kill stroke....if needed. Although a deer will bleed out very quickly when you cut its throat - providing it is still alive while you do the deed.

Hope this answers some of the concerns that were posted.

huntwriter
12-27-2010, 08:17 PM
just a note from a newb hunter, a newb hunter that is restricted from firearms and cross bows. I have fished for many years and the same thing can be noted in the fishing comunity is there seems to be the great divide.

in fishing you have the flyguys the bait guys and then there are the gear guys, and every group seems to do the same thing....look down at what the other groups do, weather hunting or fishing.

some of us have no other options.

Sadly that is true for angling too. It boggles my mind how hard some hunters and anglers work to find differences when in fact it would take much less time and effort to see what we all have in common.

aggiehunter
12-27-2010, 10:38 PM
HighRPM...the best way for you to educate yourself regarding the lethality of the modern bow and broadhead (which I don't use) is to watch a deer hit...run 30 yards...fall over...die....all within 20 seconds or less. I killed a whitie this year with an antique broadhead with a huge cutting surface..12 yard shot...40 yard run...fell over dead and within 30 seconds...now I still waited but that's just what we do. 3 of the other guys who shoot mechanicals that I helped track and recover I estimated the deers death was within the length of the run...what I mean is at the end of the 40 yard run there was no packed down snow..no sign of struggle...death in flight...you can beleive this is or not but please learn on! The other thing that all you guys might do is re-read the posts and really learn who has the hate on for who...I've been waiting a LONG time for this group hug with all our fellow hunters in BC and I think I'm gonna be waiting a lot longer..HUNT MORE..TALK LESS.

steel_ram
12-28-2010, 09:58 AM
It's amazing how some people can't understand that a "bow season", or a "flyfishing zone", is an added opportunity in an area where a general open season isn't is viable, or is no longer viable. It is not to patronize a special user group. It's available to anyone who wants to make the effort to come out and play, just a harder game.

Bow Walker
12-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Now that right there pretty much sums it up for everyone. Good comment(s) steel ram.

ThinAir
12-28-2010, 10:57 AM
It's amazing how some people can't understand that a "bow season", or a "flyfishing zone", is an added opportunity in an area where a general open season isn't is viable, or is no longer viable. It is not to patronize a special user group. It's available to anyone who wants to make the effort to come out and play, just a harder game.

Exactly. Well said.... I can't believe how much time is wasted debating these topics.

Stéphane
12-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Wisdom, at last!

Phreddy
12-28-2010, 04:09 PM

Wouldn't it be just as effective and much more inclusive if they added a limited entry for the same time period for the same species for one and all to apply for?

firstlight
12-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Wouldn't it be just as effective and much more inclusive if they added a limited entry for the same time period for the same species for one and all to apply for?

Your kidding right? How could it not be any more inclusive. Anyone wanting to grab a stick and a string is welcome to come out into the woods and play. It's really up to you to participate, or not.

steel_ram
12-28-2010, 04:42 PM

No. Bowhunting harvest rates are so low compared to rifle hunts. Why limit the opportunity to a few individuals when you can open it up to everyone who wants it.

It would be interesting to see the stats for rifle vs bow harvest. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 50:1 or less for moose in region 6. An archery only season sure would stretch that one or two extra moose a lot further.

savagecanuck
12-28-2010, 08:42 PM
In our province where the hunting and fishing regulations require a huge booklet with SOOOOOOO many restrictions.We should all be thankfull that the beaurocrats open up these extended seasons for all.Sounds like some want even more restrictions to our hunting and fishing[geta life]I welcome changes that give us more time to hunt such as the added 10 days in region 8 WT this year and next.Just get out and hunt and quit whining!

bugler
12-28-2010, 10:06 PM
My wish for Phreddy is that he is forced to move to Alberta where almost all gun hunting for mule deer is LEH but there is a looonnng bow season. I think he might then appreciate the super long gun season we have here and stop whining about a few extra days for those who wish to put in a little extra effort.

Phreddy
12-28-2010, 10:45 PM
My wish for Phreddy is that he is forced to move to Alberta where almost all gun hunting for mule deer is LEH but there is a looonnng bow season. I think he might then appreciate the super long gun season we have here and stop whining about a few extra days for those who wish to put in a little extra effort.

As a rifle hunter I would be happy if the "few extra days" were extended to the rifle hunter as well. I know we're not prima donnas like the ardent bow hunters, but we do appreciate a level playing field like the next guy.
Anyway, I have had my say and see no benefit in continuing this battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

bugler
12-28-2010, 10:55 PM
Ya Phreddy I think you've taken a beat down with this one. Probably best to move on.

steel_ram
12-29-2010, 09:58 AM
As a rifle hunter I would be happy if the "few extra days" were extended to the rifle hunter as well. I know we're not prima donnas like the ardent bow hunters, but we do appreciate a level playing field like the next guy.
Anyway, I have had my say and see no benefit in continuing this battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Yup! You fail yet again. Even starting to name call again. Hunters are hunters buddy. "We", "Them", "Prima Donnas", WTF are you talking about?

If Phreddy doesn't want to play, then no one should?

Ambush
12-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Well Phreddy, you can start hunting with your rifle on August 1st, same time I can start bow hunting.
So what's the beef??

GoatGuy
12-29-2010, 10:16 AM

Fly-fishing was used to reduce the 'catch', but that was before chronomid fishing became popular. Fly only and catch and release in most stillwater is managed for and used to cater to a special group - we're well aware of that.

If I were to 'guess' it would be that bow hunting does offer additional opportunity, but most of the people (not all) who make use of that additional opportunity are already avid hunters and you are simply extending their season.

Viability in most parts of BC would be a fun discussion. Please feel free to post some fact to support your argument.

There are several things in life that are available to anyone, but very few people do, use or experience them. Following your rational anyone can be a millionaire: are you? Play in the NHL? It is available to anyone, just a harder game, right?

Lastly, for the thread starter the biggest problem with any kind of season (bows include) is people. The seasons do offer additional opportunity often with very little harvest so they work, but when you throw people at the issue you usually end up diverging significantly from the original intent and goals of 'hunters'. This thread is a great example. :wink:

bugler
12-29-2010, 10:36 AM
There are several things in life that are available to anyone, but very few people do, use or experience them. Following your rational anyone can be a millionaire: are you? Play in the NHL? It is available to anyone, just a harder game, right?

So...we should discourage the NHL or making money because not everyone has the wherewithal to accomplish it. Got it.

GoatGuy
12-29-2010, 10:42 AM
So...we should discourage the NHL or making money because not everyone has the wherewithal to accomplish it. Got it.

Who said that?

Bow Walker
12-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Phreddy - for as long as I can remember - the opening day for the GOS has been the beginning of Sept, and I'm at the age where things a long time ago are like yesterday.

Tagging a few days onto the beginning of GOS and making it just for people who want a bit more challenge in hunting shouldn't bother anyone. Your GOS has not been touched.

You want to start hunting during the last week of August? Get out there, get a bow (or an "easy/peasy" crossbow), practice, and then join in the fun. Instead you choose to bitch about it...

aggiehunter
12-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Ya see Goatguy calling Chronie fisherman and bowhunters special just aint' right...and you know why....cause we can all do it. In fact as a fly fisherman for 40 years I see guys that can barely cast catching trophy rainbows with snowcones at (OH MY GOD) a fly fish only lake...heaven forbid...and I even see first time Xbow guys killing deer on their first trip in a (HOLY CRAP) bowonly season...It's cause their special you know....NOT!!!! Lets not forget one things boys...these seasons were put there because of DEMAND...not because those (you) guys have SPECIAL problems.

steel_ram
12-29-2010, 09:45 PM
The original question: "Bow only season, why"

May I suggest; Why not? A bow season is basically going to have little if any impact on wildlife populations while still adding a significant opportunity for all hunters willing, and wanting to get out in the field. I'd bet in a week long bow season, less game would be taken than in one day of rifle. All just my speculation of course.

"It's not fair", is a childish answer. The only unworkable solution to make it fair and allow rifles: how about no more than a bead sight on the rifle and limited range of 30 yards. Clear heart shots only! :p

GoatGuy
12-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Ya see Goatguy calling Chronie fisherman and bowhunters special just aint' right...and you know why....cause we can all do it. In fact as a fly fisherman for 40 years I see guys that can barely cast catching trophy rainbows with snowcones at (OH MY GOD) a fly fish only lake...heaven forbid...and I even see first time Xbow guys killing deer on their first trip in a (HOLY CRAP) bowonly season...It's cause their special you know....NOT!!!! Lets not forget one things boys...these seasons were put there because of DEMAND...not because those (you) guys have SPECIAL problems.

Aggiehunter, the post was about 'viability' and 'conservation' which was completely incorrect, but that has now morphed to another argument which is a natural progression I suppose.

Nobody argued the demand side of it? Clearly there is a demand for that type of fishery, from a small percent of anglers. That is relevant on the hunting side of things as well and that's fine.

We manage trophy catch and release lakes for a certain type of angler, not for the first timer who can barely cast. You can sit down and have a chat with anyone involved in the management side and the 'popular' anglers who write books and articles strictly on fly-fishing and they'll tell you ff only c&r is not a management plan for new anglers, old anglers, or most of the anglers - and that is OK. They recognize it caters to a small proportion of avid anglers (most of them are included in that category). In short, it has its place, but it isn't what powers the ship.

They support lakes that are set up for families before they look for more 'trophy lakes'. They recognize the effects of various management strategies and have focused on simplifying and creating more recreational opportunity, closer to the worm and bobber end of the spectrum than the 'trophy fish' concept. Look at the stuff FFSBC is doing you can see that - you'll also find most of the folk current and retired are as avid as things get in terms of ff.

The anecdotal and one off stuff, however, does sound good.

steel_ram
12-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Aggiehunter, the post was about 'viability' and 'conservation' which was completely incorrect, but that has now morphed to another argument which is a natural progression I suppose.

My comment on viability was to suggest the extemely minimal effect bowhunting would have, on what might be a very limited resource. ie. a harvestable surplus above what is considered minimal for successful management goals. Where a open rifle season would be an over harvest, simply due to the nature of the tool.
I don't think I'm "completely incorrect", but then I'm not an expert, nor am I writing my thesis on this casual board.

I can see after your post on Lake fishing, that there is indeed other reasons well beyond conservation for flyfishing only areas. Thanks! My way of thought was more in the lines of fly only sections on rivers, which I know would be a blood baths if bait chuckers got in. Again, my opinion in this instance is that flyfishing is a far less effective way of catching Salmon and Steelhead.

Phreddy
12-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Fly fishing for salmon and steelhead is far more effective than bait fishing on rivers. It requires the same amount of effort, with far greater results once one practices it.

steel_ram
12-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Fly fishing for salmon and steelhead is far more effective than bait fishing on rivers. It requires the same amount of effort, with far greater results once one practices it.

Yeah right! But then you just like being contrary.

aggiehunter
12-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Phred, try lining up on the Vedder with your fly rod vs. the ghost shrimp boys......are you a a betting man?

aggiehunter
12-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Goatguy....I agree that everyone including you and I have somewhat de-railed this post at some point. I disagree however that fly fisherman are few...and in discussions with the manager he could create more fly only op's but alas someone with a big stick just won't let him. As for bowonly which was the original intent of the post I do not mind telling people openly....please join in...it's only 8 months till bow season.

Stéphane
12-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Really nice to see people getting on with their agenda and forgetting the point of this thread. It warms my heart.

Back on the real topic, for a change, and I apologize for that. I was at the shooting range yesterday and I met my dentist with a brand new crossbow. After the initial hellos and bs that goes with it, I asked him why he got a crossbow. He simply said that he wanted to take advantage of the extended season for hunting reserved to archery. Ahh, I think someone mentioned that before, didn't I read this?

I even got a chance to try it. I couldn't believe the "recoil" of it. To be honest, I'll stick to my bow.

aggiehunter
12-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Stephane...your so confusing....if you thought there was no agenda's your definitly on the wrong web chat line....but don't forget that's exactly what this is!!!!

steel_ram
12-30-2010, 10:12 PM
I think there should be a special bow fishing only season. Just to make it fair for everyone.

Surrey Boy
12-31-2010, 12:07 AM
I got a doe with a shotgun this fall in Region 1. It's obvious there isn't a conservation concern in that area, so the antlerless open makes sense. Why I couldn't have used a rifle to shoot her, I don't know. I still had a bag limit, I know better than to shoot without knowing where my bullet stops, and there were lots of people in the area, none of whom were accidentally shot.

We have varying seasons and bag limits to accomodate conservation issues. Why not lower the regional limit while keeping the provincial limit of three deer if hunter success is such an issue, and why not have a longer season all round? I'd like to hunt over Christmas and Labour Day, and I could recruit younger hunters if they weren't in school all season long.

bugler
12-31-2010, 10:17 AM
Stephane's original post mentioned camo vs no camo and safety as a possible reason for bow seasons. It has always seemed to me that hunter orange rules might trick some people into thinking that if they don't see orange it is ok to shoot. Only the hunter has to wear it, anyone else out walking a dog, checking cows, guiding the hunter, perhaps even pushing bush for the hunter, does not. It has never really made sense to me. I like it better here where hunter orange is not part of anybody's checklist for identifying a safe target. Just my opinion, I have not read anything on whether hunter orange jurisdictions have better or worse safety records.

aggiehunter
12-31-2010, 03:05 PM
SteelRam...there is a special bowfishing season for coarse fish every spring and no one get's any special treatment....especially the fish!

Surrey Boy
01-06-2011, 05:21 AM
All those "Discharge of Firearms Prohibited" areas give bowhunters the whole season to be alone. Why don't they hunt there?

ThinAir
01-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Sometimes we do!:-D

Bow Walker
01-06-2011, 10:34 AM
I hunt with my bow all season long, everywhere - not just in the "shotgun/bow" areas. The fact that I've get the bush to myself (wit other bowhunters) at the start of the season is a bonus. It actually doesn't make any difference, though.

savagecanuck
01-06-2011, 08:19 PM
All those "Discharge of Firearms Prohibited" areas give bowhunters the whole season to be alone. Why don't they hunt there?

Look out your back yard in the morning that might be me out there beating you to the punch:mrgreen:

Surrey Boy
01-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Look out your back yard in the morning that might be me out there beating you to the punch:mrgreen:

Knock on the door and come in for coffee and breakfast! Langley has a Schedule C rabbit infestation; the more hunters the better.

Ron.C
01-06-2011, 09:21 PM

Just to piss the rifle hunters off:twisted:

Seriously though, I don't know to many people who just "bowhunt" Most I know gun hunt as well as take advantage of bow/shotgun only areas, or bow only seasons.

Like someone said well back in this thread, every resident of BC has the same opportunity to bowhunt. It's not a privilege only given to a chosen few. There's no test required, no special liscence, and you don't need to spend anymore on a bow then your averge gun. And if your in for a challenge, you may very well find it

Stéphane
01-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Just to piss the rifle hunters off:twisted:

Seriously though, I don't know to many people who just "bowhunt" Most I know gun hunt as well as take advantage of bow/shotgun only areas, or bow only seasons.

Like someone said well back in this thread, every resident of BC has the same opportunity to bowhunt. It's not a privilege only given to a chosen few. There's no test required, no special liscence, and you don't need to spend anymore on a bow then your averge gun. And if your in for a challenge, you may very well find it
Hi, my name is Stéphane and I only and will only ever bow hunt.

Now you know one!

SG

Ron.C
01-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Hi, my name is Stéphane and I only and will only ever bow hunt.

Now you know one!

SG

LOL, is said "most"

In any case, it's good to meet you to buddy:-D

Elk-Aholic
01-06-2011, 10:34 PM
...it's only 8 months till bow season.

Actually, you can bow hunt for coyotes right now if you choose to use that weapon!!!

Stone Sheep Steve
01-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Actually, you can bow hunt for coyotes right now if you choose to use that weapon!!!

Cats too!

SSS

Gateholio
01-07-2011, 09:26 AM
And because there is very little pressure from other hunters out in the woods right now, it's like having the woods all to yourself. Something I hear bowhunters enjoy...

Get at it!:-D

Barracuda
10-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Yeah, right. What about the jackass bow hunter who flings a quiver full into the bushes because they thought they saw something? even at over 10 bucks an arrow plus broadhead i dont know of any hunters that just fling arrows willy nilly. We have taken to archery and all it offers like ducks to water, Its loads of fun has greater opportunity to practice and it requires a whole new set of skills for us.

Spy
10-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Everyone knows bow hunters wound more animals then rifle hunters !So it makes sense to give them their own season & more time to find their animals !:wink::-D

The Hermit
10-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Everyone knows bow hunters wound more animals then rifle hunters !So it makes sense to give them their own season & more time to find their animals !:wink::-D

SPY you SD!! Killed anything with your Limbsaver yet? Lets go next week after the rains quiet everything down... I want to video your first bow kill!!

J_T
10-11-2012, 06:29 AM
Everyone knows bow hunters wound more animals then rifle hunters !So it makes sense to give them their own season & more time to find their animals !:wink::-D Aaaah, nice one. I wondered when Fischer Dude would reappear. However, by the numbers, everyone knows the reverse is actually true. If Hermit's willing to take you out go for it, but I'd suggest wearing blaze orange.

Spy
10-11-2012, 08:07 AM
SPY you SD!! Killed anything with your Limbsaver yet? Lets go next week after the rains quiet everything down... I want to video your first bow kill!!
I have being waiting patiently for the rain ,its nearly here ! I will give you a call !