PDA

View Full Version : Bull Elk Rescue

Jagermeister
12-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Hats off the the three persons that rescued the bull elk that broke throught the ice on the Similkameen River a few days back.
The video that showed this rescue was shown on Global BC tv news at 6 this evening. I would post the link to the video, but have been unable to locate it on their web page.
Apparently, there were a herd of elk just east of Princton that were crossing the river when the bull broke through the ice and became trapped. Three people, one with the surname of Vemette and 2 other men managed to get a rope onto the antlers and were trying to extract the exhausted elk by pulling him out. Their attempts appeared to be futile until the elk regained some strength to renew his efforts. His efforts along with the rope tugging by his rescuers were rewarded when he regained firm footing and took off across the river with the rope still attached to his antlers. He stumbled and fell again on the far side of the river, but as the video showed, he once again got to his feet and made off hastily in the direction of the rest of the herd, sans the rope on his rack.
Again, hats of to the rescuers, job well done.

afors
12-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Here ya go

raw footage

http://www.chbcnews.ca/video/index.html?releasePID=L_DrZ6Xiz9z8JrLwK9cc6U_SmVZl MIFy

mark
12-23-2010, 11:11 PM
When that rope gets snagged, someone can say...."Hey, I got 6 point tied to a tree" .... Pretty cool rescue!

SHACK
12-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Thats classic, I did the same thing with a mule deer in the Samilkameen about 12 years ago! Only difference was I was able to wrestle the rope off the does neck in the end.
Good on em!

jaeger
12-23-2010, 11:25 PM
True sportsmen!!!

TPB
12-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Hahaha great footage and great deed, i love the guy at the end "thats fine he can have the rope"

hunter1947
12-24-2010, 03:34 AM
The young lady said that the rope had come off this happened when the elk fell down the first time.

Good for them 3 people they must feel good for what they did ,it makes me feel good inside to see what they did to save this bull elks life :-D..

sawmill
12-24-2010, 03:45 AM
Good on them!
I cut a cow elk out of a fence near TaTa creek a few years ago,as she came loose she kicked me a gooder in the shoulder.I told the hunting gods they owed me a mule deer,next day I got a beauty.:mrgreen: