PDA

View Full Version : Lost Another Good One

IronNoggin
12-23-2010, 03:03 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/milivoj/Dennis%20Steelheader/Wherearethosefish.jpg

Dennis Devereaux (aka Steelheader) passed away just a couple of days ago of a sudden and unexpected heart failure. Totally unexpected as he never smoked, never drank, worked out pretty well every single day, and was in fine health. Although he was 60, he exhibited the vitality of a man 20 years his junior.

I was privileged to call this fine man "Friend", and spent many days both out on the water and working the flows alongside him. His level of understanding of fishing and fishing was unsurpassed, truly the most intelligent and insightful angler I have known.

The quality of this fellow extended well beyond fishing, he was generous to a fault, worked extremely hard, and cared deeply for his loving Family. The sense of loss amongst his Friends and Family has been overwhelming, and thus it has taken me a day or two to collect my thoughts enough to post.

Dennis Devereaux was a firm and long term supporter of local fisheries efforts. He knew a vast amount about the local resources, and had many interesting thoughts and ideas regarding both their conservation as well as projects designed to enhance the various species numbers.

I had the occasion to speak with Dennis regarding one of the target projects of the World Fishing Network's Ultimate Fishing Town Funding, that being the construction of a new and improved Fish Ladder at Mclean's Mill to enhance coho and steelhead numbers. The plan is to include a Viewing & Information Station in conjunction with the ladder to educate and inform those who visit the site. Dennis was in firm support of this particular project, and well recognized the potential for increasing salmonid numbers by doing so.

Dennis' Family have discussed this matter, and are now requesting that in lieu of flowers, cards etc, those wishing to recognize Dennis and his love of the resource could best do so by directly contributing to this Enhancement Project. I worked with the local Enhancement Umbrella organization to set that up, and we have now established a mechanism to support this venture.

As many that knew Dennis understood, he was fascinated by all things boating, and recently finished constructing his own personal "Dream Boat". She is a Beauty, and quite the reflection of this Man's attention to detail and discerning eye when it came to such projects. The family informed me this morning that they plan to sell this marvelous machine (will be posted here), and place the funds thus generated into the project outlined above.

I believe Dennis would be Very Proud to witness the unselfish and generous actions of his Family and Friends. This is the type of project he would have wanted to be directly involved in, and so will form a Living Legacy of his Life.

When the Viewing Center is complete, we will incorporate a bronze plaque dedicating it, and a portion of the Fish Ladder in his name. I can't think of a better, more lasting Tribute to such a Fine Individual! And I am damn proud to have played some small role in helping make something positive of this painful situation.

I strongly encourage both those that knew and miss Dennis, as well as all others who wish to contribute to a very worthwhile Enhancement Project in Dennis' name, to send a donation to the following:

Checks payable to: DADDS Society

Memo: Dennis Devereaux Remembrance Fund

Address: Box 1062 Port Alberni,BC V9Y 7l9

We are hoping that our fellow fishermen out there will prove to be as generous with their donations as Dennis was with his time and so much more. Please get behind this one Folks! It not only is a Fine Tribute to a Fallen Member, but also helps put something back into the resource he, and all of us, so greatly cherish!

Cheers & Thanks!
Matt

lilhoss
12-23-2010, 04:26 PM
wow,..60...too early.That community and family will miss him.Sounds like he still had lots to give.Condolences to all who knew him.

Count your age by friends...not years. Count your life by smiles...and not tears.

BlacktailStalker
12-23-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm sure he would be more than proud to have a friend like yourself speak so highly of him and contribute to such a nice memorial.
Condolences to all that knew him and r.i.p to a fellow angler.

There is another steelhead in the system now.

kennyj
12-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Thats terrible news. My thoughts are with his family and friends. Sounds like he will be well remembered.
kenny

bigd77
12-23-2010, 06:42 PM
As a Millwright I worked many days with Dennis at Crofton when he came down for the shuts and at Athabasca pulp last spring. He was a class act ,A great guy to work with and he will be missed ! My thoughts go out to his family

Gunner
12-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Another good man gone too soon.My condolences to his friends and family. Gunner

fuzzybiscuit
12-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss Nog.

I'm sure that Steelheader felt just as privileged to call you "Friend".

Again, condolences to all that knew him.

bsa30-06
12-23-2010, 07:54 PM
My condolences to his family and friends.60 is way to young.RIP steelheader.

boxhitch
12-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Have to say when I first read the title, I thought someone was bragging about the big one that got away.
Then I read on.......:(
Sounds like he had a good following, and that is a good thing in life.
r i p

doubled
12-24-2010, 09:32 AM
RIP. Tough news Matt, that is for sure. Our time here is never known so we should cherish it when we can.

lorneparker1
12-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Sorry for you loss Matt. Seemed like quite the guy.

IronNoggin
12-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the kind words Gentz. Truly Appreciated!

Tough Christmas. Made a little better for being able to create something positive out of this very painful tragedy.

Donations in Dennis' name have started to roll in. With a little help, we can make a lasting Tribute to this Very Fine Gentleman.

Thanks Folks,
Matt

IronNoggin
12-27-2010, 01:33 PM
A Celebration Of Life will be held at the Italian Hall in Port Alberni (4065 6th Ave) from 1:00pm to 4:00pm for Dennis on Wednesday 29 December. Friends are encouraged to stop by. I certainly will be. And I know I will be joined by a great many others...

Matt

IronNoggin
12-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Well over 300 signed in...

One Hell of a Man!

Be Fishing With You soon enough Bro :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww5GXbk58R0

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin
01-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Just a little bump and a gentle reminder folks:

The Living Legacy fund is growing, but can always use a little more support!

Many many thanks to those who have contributed! Very much Appreciated! http://fishbcforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/BEERCHUG.gif

Cheers,
Matt