PDA

View Full Version : Fire Or No Fire

Husky7mm
12-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Just Wondering The Backpack Hunters Thoughts On Having A Fire In Camp While Living Out Of A Backpack.
I Like I Fire Its Warm And Comforting And Good For Drying Everything Out. On The Other Hand It May Be Blowing Every Aniamal Out Of The Immediate Area. So Cold Camp Yes Or No?

12-23-2010, 02:39 PM
No fire? you crazy!

My dad always told me that animals are used to smoke. Dont know it for truth but its reasuring when its cold!

frenchbar
12-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Fires will not drive the game out...they could care less:mrgreen: in my 35 yrs of observation in hunting the backcountry.

Shade Tree
12-23-2010, 03:42 PM
I do believe it does alert game, if they smell it. However every animal is different and every species. I have had grizzlies, elk and moose within 50 yards of my campfire and they didn't respond to it; other times they turn inside out, it just depends on the animal.
If I could find firewood while backpacking, I would build a fire. It just makes for a cozier camp...

dana
12-23-2010, 04:50 PM
The smell of smoke is very natural in this country. Especially in the fall when we burn piles. Animals are very used to the smell. I have fires on a regular basis in the backcountry. Heck, ever try glassing in -25 or colder? Not very effective if you are freezing. Light a fire and get warm and suddenly the binos are easier to hold still. ;)

Pete
12-23-2010, 05:11 PM
I agree with Frenchbar. I have watched Deer right in the ashes of burn pile licking the mineral salts. They had no interest in the fire that was burning right beside them.

12-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Always have had a fire, and ....... have always had success on B-pack trips.

If I've needed a fire I always had one.

Deer Sheep, Goat hunts fires on all of them...

Try to burn clean with good dry wood, less smoke that way.
It's also saved our bacon on many a hunts trying to get dry or out of fuel for the B-pack stove.

OH ya to fires.

Just be smart about it.

CT

GoatGuy
12-23-2010, 06:24 PM
How else do you thaw the beer out?

Barracuda
12-23-2010, 06:48 PM
dont like fire much unless i need something to cook on and i hate the cold so im kinda between a rock and a hard place.

unless it is needed i dont bother with a fire.

BiG Boar
12-23-2010, 07:13 PM
I shot my doe this year 50 yards away from a burning burn pile. So smokey I could barley find her. The meat was nice and had a smokey sortof flavour to it.

sparkes3
12-23-2010, 07:34 PM
i spotted a bunch of does standing/laying all around a burn pile last year looked like they were staying around for the heat as they came right back when we left

Barracuda
12-23-2010, 07:34 PM
As far as spooking game goes im with most i think in that i dont think fires or smoke make a whole lotta difference to most animals unless of course they are fleeing an actual forest fire.

boxhitch
12-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Fire is a part of nature, and many critters have had contact whether man-made or Ma Nature at work.
But then again other critters can go their entire lifetime without contact with fire or smoke and may react accordingly.
But in the big scheme and all the things that can go wrong, smoke is a tiny detail not worth loosing sleep or heat over.
IMO it fits the list right between what kind of gum to chew and what flavor of Spitz to pack.