PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Beaver

mungojeerie
12-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Had the pleasure of encountering a mountain beaver this year while fly fishing. Strangest little critter I've ever come across in the bush. Video link below...

Two questions...

1.) Have you ever encountered a Mountain Beaver? - Elkdom, your two waitresses from the early 80's don't count :)

2.) Whats the strangest critter you've come across in the bush... post a pic if you have one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbIsrEEJLQI

steelheadSABO
12-22-2010, 11:40 PM
looks like a big mole

pathfinder55
12-22-2010, 11:49 PM
We see them occasionally on Sumas Mtn on our property.I believe they are nocturnal....Peter

BillyBull
12-22-2010, 11:54 PM
That is a very rare find... and you got some good footage. From what I have read this is not something that many people have seen in the wild... great job!

Jager
12-23-2010, 12:00 AM
I never knew they existed until I saw a specimen at the museum in Victoria this year. It's cool that you got to see a live one

elkdom
12-23-2010, 12:10 AM
a strange fellow,,,
a very wild wilderness Marmot, that was smart enough to be stealing fresh picked berries from some buckets sitting on the tail gate of a parked pic-up,the persons picking the berries, whom I did not know, would fill the buckets, the Marmot would hide under the truck, when they left, the Marmot would come out, jump up on the tailgate and start hauling away more berries, lmao

12-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Dad had a guide tell him about "The High Mountain Bever" for years it was a joke in camp, knowone believed the lady. Everyone thought that she was pullin' there leg.... Mountain bever ,,,right.

Untill oneday Discovery channel did a show on it. They all ate their words!

bighornbob
12-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Had the pleasure of encountering a mountain beaver this year while fly fishing. Strangest little critter I've ever come across in the bush. Video link below...

Two questions...

1.) Have you ever encountered a Mountain Beaver? - Elkdom, your two waitresses from the early 80's don't count :)

2.) Whats the strangest critter you've come across in the bush... post a pic if you have one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbIsrEEJLQI

The way the thing moves/gets around I am not surprised they are endangered. The yotes and the owls must love them.

The strangest (or should I say coolest) thing I have seen is a big River Otter. I was fishing for Sockeye in Spences Bridge this year, when I looked across the river and this big otter was sitting on a bar grooming himself. I dont know how big they get but he looked like he could easily catch and pull out a 12 pound sockeye.

BHB

500grhollowpoint
12-23-2010, 09:43 AM
looks like a big mole

Also called the giant mole according to wickapedia.

scope-bite
12-23-2010, 10:34 AM
That is super cool! You are lucky to have seen one of those guys. Great footage!

Plincker
12-23-2010, 01:41 PM
I have never even heard of such a rodent, it's so primitive looking.

Thanx for sharing!

Pete
12-23-2010, 02:35 PM
The Mountain Beaver is a rodent that is a very old ancient species but it has also another claim to fame as the host of the worlds largest Flea. These fleas are big, up to 1/3 of an in. or 9mm in length.

mungojeerie
12-24-2010, 08:03 AM
I have never even heard of such a rodent, it's so primitive looking.

Yes, the mountain beaver is the most primitive living member of the order Rodentia.

We see them occasionally on Sumas Mtn on our property.I believe they are nocturnal....Peter

The reason I found out what this critter was quickly is because the 2nd person I described it to has a friend who lives on sumas mtn and his property had development plans nixed due to the mountain beaver.

I never knew they existed until I saw a specimen at the museum in Victoria this year. It's cool that you got to see a live one

Nor did I. I can't think of ever seeing an animal locally (other than some bird species) where I had no clue of what it was. When I saw this thing walk across my feet I said WTF is that? grabbed my camera and got a shoddy picture before it was gone... then 2 min later here it comes again, so I got some video.

I thought god I have no idea what that is, looks like some kind of weird pocket gopher or something, but I know thats not what it is. Came home.. none of my guide books showed it, I was perplexed. A very exciting find I think. I fished that spot several more times this year and each time I looked for it, saw fresh track and remnants of food like mushroom bases near burrow entrances but thats it.

.330 Dakota
12-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Ya but she was ridin a horse