PDA

View Full Version : starting my search for the next tent

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
12-22-2010, 08:41 PM
So i really enjoy all the comments on this site and the gear forum , lots of good tips on what to buy . my height is 6'1 and 220 weight. so i was looking at the I.D. MK 3 ..But now im thinking about the Hilliberg choices. so i guess my choices are down to three . .I.D. MK 3 or Hilliberg NALLO 2 or the ALLAK . i plan on mostly going to do some over night hunts ,late fall ,up high , Either by Myself or with my Hunting partner . We are both big guys ,over 6 feet and 200 pounds.. Is there Hilliberg in B.C. or ALBERTA ? or do i have to order from the states ? if anyone has some suggestions id love to hear them..also can you find MYSTERY RANCH packs in canada ?..I just hate ordering stuff from the states .. its a pain . plus it would cool to look and try before you buy .. i love all the great info this site and its members have to offer ... im sure i have many more questions about other gear in the future . lol . thx .

BlacktailStalker
12-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Searh Hilleberg Allak. I bought one and did a review on it, great tent and I am 6'3" 235lbs.
Order direct from Hilleberg and tell them you want USPS shipping, its cheap.
Cant help you with MR.

bigwhiteys
12-22-2010, 09:41 PM
You are looking into two of the most expensive tents on the market... I own both of them and they each have their own pros and cons.

The ID is slightly cheaper to buy, and it's made in Canada, however it's material does not meet Canadian fire safety standards and cannot be legally sold in Canada.

http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/indemk3siwat.html <--- They occasionally have sales on ID tents, easy shipping to Canada, when I bought my tent I wasn't even charged taxes or duty... Whats up with that? Canada Customs is inconsistent at best.

If I were to do it over again, I think I would go Hilleberg Allak all the way. It's better suited for two larger guys than the ID, especially with a door on either side.

The ID MKIII you will be crawling in and out of on your hands and knees. A pain on longer hunts, especially when the ground is wet.

The Hilleberg tent, is only available through a few select US retailers and the Hilleberg website, because the tents are made in estonia there is supposed to be an 18% tarrif on top of the 12% hst as well. So add 30% to the prices you see, you may get lucky and CP would let the package go through.

If you are ever on the Island and would like to have a look at either, let me know and we can arrange something.

Carl

Maxx
12-22-2010, 10:31 PM
how much does the Allak weigh?

bigwhiteys
12-22-2010, 11:27 PM
The Allak weighs 6lbs 10oz "all-in" and that could be lightened up by giving a partner the poles and pegs, which takes it down to around 5lbs 8oz which is very reasonable for a 2 man 4 season shelter.

Carl

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
12-23-2010, 09:29 PM
hey thats great info.. thanks guys.. i heard that I.D. was a calgary company and that M.E.C. has them .. but i really want the ALLAK .. it will last me for years to come so i dont care about the price.. but ya the border tax would ruin my day ..any add ons for the tent that you can suggest ? i dont get to the island much but if i do id love to see it..i guess im hopeing one comes for sale some time on the site but i see why people dont want to part with them.i guess im just going to have to wait it out and beat up my credit card when the time comes.. i guess i will have to do the same for a new pack ..sounds like i need the MR ..theres no end to the money to spend to hunt , but hey , you only live once .lol. id like to wish you guys a merry christmas and good holidays . im going cat hunting on boxing day !..lol.

lnelson
12-24-2010, 11:16 AM
AAI in Bellingham WA is a Hilleberg dealer. I just bought mine last week and drove back with it. I only paid my HST not any other tax.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
12-24-2010, 02:32 PM
so what did you get and how much was it ? did you get anything else on your trip ? AAI is a shop gear shop ?

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
12-24-2010, 02:37 PM
k i found it .. so its 550 u.s. .plus hst .let me know how well it works out for when you get a chance . thx

JohnB
12-28-2010, 09:00 AM
I've also been looking for a new tent; TiGoat tipi looks nice, light and you can put a stove in it.

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/vertex6_5.html

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
12-28-2010, 09:53 AM
looks interesting .. neat little stove.

lnelson
12-28-2010, 05:42 PM
I got an Akto and have only set it up once in the backyard and it looks like it will be fantastic. Hope to give it a shakedown this weekend. They were real easy to work with...I actually talked them into honoring a sale price from the week before (10% off).

lnelson
12-28-2010, 05:43 PM
378 for the Akto