PDA

View Full Version : bipods

frenchbar
12-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Never Used Them Before ..whats The Best One To Put On The Sons 223..make ..lenght ..be Used Mostly For Coyotes In Rolling Hilly Terrain .

Thanks .

Gateholio
12-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Harris swiveling bipod

Best is probably the medium/longer ones to allow you to sit with your back to a tree or rock and have gun horizontal. The short ones are for prone.

Harris makes the best...

RoscoeP
12-22-2010, 04:25 PM
I have a Harris not the lowest one but next one up. The low one is mainly for on a bench. You may want to check in the store to be sure you can see above the ground cover. There is some adjustment on them and some can cant side to side for uneven ground. Good luck don't think you can go wrong with Harris.

huntcoop
12-22-2010, 04:25 PM
I have a Harris Bipod and it is bulletproof. Four of my hunting partners also have them and they have never let anyone down, ever.

http://www.harrisbipods.com/

The one we all have extends from 13.5" to 23" which allows us to be sitting and still be able to shoot.

pappy
12-22-2010, 04:28 PM
I use the second smallest harris bi-pod for sighting in. I use it way more than the longer one I first bought. I have noticed that harris is usually cheaper than the other models. I think its around 9 inches at the retracted setting. I have only once used it to shoot a moose, the rest of the time its just extra weight to carry around so I don't bring it very often anymore. Waiting for coyotes would be a perfect time to use one if your in the right spot.

Husky7mm
12-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Think your a good shoot, wait till you get a bi-pod, killer. If your hiking around with a coyote gun and a bi-pod dont get a heavy barrel its totally unbalance and a pain in the ass to carry.

frenchbar
12-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Do they hook up to the sling stud?

frenchbar
12-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Think your a good shoot, wait till you get a bi-pod, killer. If your hiking around with a coyote gun and a bi-pod dont get a heavy barrel its totally unbalance and a pain in the ass to carry.

wont be walking far ..just setting up along the river breaks..waiting for wiley coyote to cruise into the calls .:)

huntcoop
12-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Do they hook up to the sling stud?

Yes they do.

Maxx
12-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Harris swiveling bipod

Best is probably the medium/longer ones to allow you to sit with your back to a tree or rock and have gun horizontal. The short ones are for prone.

Harris makes the best...

they are the best, if you like a boat anchor attached to your rifle stock....

Snipepod is the BEST bipod available, it is 6 ounces, strong, it swivles and is easily adjustable,

http://www.snipepod.com/model.html

frenchbar
12-22-2010, 05:09 PM
thanx guys!

M.Dean
12-22-2010, 05:52 PM
I put the longest Harris one on the 243 for the Kids, everyone's a Sniper now! It's incredible what a difference it makes! Some where I seen a lug type replacement nut you can get for the rear tension nut, it has a bit of a handle on it so you can tighten it up after you adjust the gun. Looks like it may work well. I'll probably try to make one long before I buy one that works properly tho! Good Luck!

huntcoop
12-22-2010, 07:44 PM

Snipepod is the BEST bipod available, it is 6 ounces, strong, it swivles and is easily adjustable,

Harris is proven as a workhorse. Snipe is gipe :mrgreen: .

DDD
12-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Another vote for the Harris swiveling bipod. Don't like the extra weight, but it's well worth it when shots are on the "long" side.

troutseeker
12-22-2010, 08:42 PM
For hunting I prefer shooting sticks. I find them more versatile and they dont throw rifle balance off on offhand shots.

ElectricDyck
12-22-2010, 09:01 PM
I use a non swiveling harris 13 to 25, cost a little over a hundred bucks from cabelas and weighs a little over a pound, it attaches in about 20 seconds. A little heavier than I'd like but in my opinion worth it's weight.

Farmer
12-22-2010, 09:13 PM
I put the longest Harris one on the 243 for the Kids, everyone's a Sniper now! It's incredible what a difference it makes! Some where I seen a lug type replacement nut you can get for the rear tension nut, it has a bit of a handle on it so you can tighten it up after you adjust the gun. Looks like it may work well. I'll probably try to make one long before I buy one that works properly tho! Good Luck!

We have put bipods on four rifles now. The wife just used my 243 for the first time and decided I had to get a bipod for her 243 right then. I am a much better shooter with the bipod than without and our 13 year old is getting pretty good as well. Our second oldest daughter shot my 243 for the first time today and she exploded a 3 inch squash at 100 yard with her first shot. She had never fired a rifle bigger than a 22 before today.
We have both Harris and shooters ridge bipods. They are non swiveling but I don't find that a problem. I have not found any difference in usefulness or quality between the two brands. Ours are 9 to 13 inches, which is great for target shooting or prone. I do have a 13 to 23 inch model that is currently unattached as I found it a little too flexible for my liking. The 9 to 13 inch bipods quite often sell for about $50 on CGN, with swivleing ones $80 to over $100.

mijinkal
12-22-2010, 09:15 PM

I don't have one, but I'll be getting one of the snipeod's. I haven's found one that's comparable.
Like you said, If you want a boat anchor attached, get a harris.

ROM
12-22-2010, 09:25 PM
I posted a similar thread 6 years ago and purchased a long harris as a result. I am so glad I did. I have used it for most of my shots at game with positive results. I don't leave home without it.

Gateholio
12-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Never used a snipepod, maybe I will tryone out.

I don't put bipods on any rifle that I am going to pack a long ways.:-D