PDA

View Full Version : Late season goat hunt

375 ultramag
12-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Any of you Guys or Girls ever done the late season goat hunt up in Stewart? Going to be up in Terrace anyway after Christmas so was thinking that I might sneak away and have a look. Heard the beer is always cold in Hyder so it might be worth the drive.

Skull Hunter
12-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Was considering making the trip down there as well. However I couldn't imagine hiking around in those avalanchy mountains at this time of year, sounds like suicide to me, or maybe just a great adventure :)

d6dan
12-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Any of you Guys or Girls ever done the late season goat hunt up in Stewart? Going to be up in Terrace anyway after Christmas so was thinking that I might sneak away and have a look. Heard the beer is always cold in Hyder so it might be worth the drive.
Beer?.
Everclear is better. Have been Hyderized a couple of times..:-D. Good people and neat place..Have fun.

BCbillies
12-22-2010, 05:45 PM
We gave it a go in mid November and it was an experience! :eek: The better areas close on Nov 15th but it's worth a looksee as you don't want to go thru life with regrets. There are limited south facing slopes in the open area but there may be a couple hanging out just past the Bear Glacier and if you hike up Bitter Creek. It's always a really nice drive . . . in the summer! :wink:

375 ultramag
12-22-2010, 08:13 PM
LOL........Thanks for that BCbillies, I'll check out those area's. Yup don't like regrets, Always want to do it all. I hate waiting till next year....or next time.

The Hermit
12-22-2010, 08:21 PM
I'll be heading up in Mid-January... need to pick up some snowshoes!

sherpa-Al
12-23-2010, 01:51 PM
If you're picking up a pair of shoes the MSR Denali Ascents are a great goat hunting shoe. Compact and lightweight with really good traction on frozen snow and ice. They also have a removeable tail you can purchase for the deeper snow. Retails between $160 to $180 with the tails around $50 more.

shallowH2O
12-23-2010, 01:58 PM
i'll be up chasing goats in the area as well in mid january. hopefully this fall like weather holds til then and large dumps of wet, heavy coastal snow stay away!

GoatGuy
12-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Buddy went up 3 years ago, said there was so much snow they couldn't find a spot to pull off the road. Hard work, long days, loads of snow and not many goats in the GOS area - sounded like a heck of an adventure.

d6dan
12-23-2010, 03:27 PM
I'll be heading up in Mid-January... need to pick up some snowshoes!

Be cautious BIll, Avalanche season from Mesiadan lake into Stewart around that time of year. I remember being stuck in Elsworth's camp and couldn't get to town for a week..and thats where I was staying.

black 'n blue
12-23-2010, 08:34 PM
If you're picking up a pair of shoes the MSR Denali Ascents are a great goat hunting shoe. Compact and lightweight with really good traction on frozen snow and ice. They also have a removeable tail you can purchase for the deeper snow. Retails between $160 to $180 with the tails around $50 more.

X2 Great shoes, love 'em