PDA

View Full Version : Baiting coyotes

phoenix
12-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Hi All,
I read another thread here in which somebody posted that it is in fact legal to bait coyotes in BC. Is this true? Where is it in the regs. I can find the definition of baiting on pg3 and under It Is Unlawful pg14 it says "where baiting is authorised" but I can't find anything saying where and when it is authorised. HELP!!!!! In the mean time here's a couple of my backyard dogs. I have discovered the .243 with 80gr. is not very fur friendly unless you make headshots. Note the second one was a tripod.
Kim

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/elimsprint/hunting06/DSC01121.jpg

Gateholio
12-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Baiting is legal for all big game except bears.

We'd prefer to keep pics of blown out guts and brains to a minimum. Your post has been edited.

15. No bloody shot up animals, organs or entrails in the forums or gallery. When taking pictures of your animals please try and pull it away from the gut pile before you start taking pictures.

butcher
12-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Bait away! Totally legal but not as easy as people think.

I should know....I'm a master baiter.

phoenix
12-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Where is all this in the regs? Sorry about the pics Gatehouse, I was just showing the damage of a .243 and a great headshot but let us bow down to the gods of not offending anyone.
Kim

Stone Sheep Steve
12-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Pg 18
It is unlawfull.....

17)to intentionally feed or attempt to feed
dangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolf
and bear) except when lawfully engaged
in hunting or trapping where baiting is
authorised.

As long as the season is open to hunting you're good to go. It is specifically mentioned elsewhere in the regs that baiting bears is illegal.

SSS

Whisky Creek
12-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Here's the other thread
www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=60434 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=60434)

phoenix
12-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Pg 18
It is unlawfull.....

17)to intentionally feed or attempt to feed
dangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolf
and bear) except when lawfully engaged
in hunting or trapping where baiting is
authorised.

As long as the season is open to hunting you're good to go. It is specifically mentioned elsewhere in the regs that baiting bears is illegal.

SSS

It was the where baiting is authorised part I was wondering about. You can read it either as baiting is authorised while hunting or trapping or you can read it as baiting is only allowed where you are authorised (only authorised sometimes). And as they mention bears in there which supposedly you cannot bait that really confuses me. I also can't find the part about no baiting of bears. Very crappy wording you ask me.
Kim

phoenix
12-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Here's the other thread
www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=60434 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=60434)
That was the thread that prompted this thread.
Kim

Stone Sheep Steve
12-22-2010, 12:53 PM
It was the where baiting is authorised part I was wondering about. You can read it either as baiting is authorised while hunting or trapping or you can read it as baiting is only allowed where you are authorised (only authorised sometimes). And as they mention bears in there which supposedly you cannot bait that really confuses me. I also can't find the part about no baiting of bears. Very crappy wording you ask me.
Kim

The part where it says that we can't bait bears is for "hunting" purposes.

The section that I quoted above covers "feeding of bears" ....which would cover some "huggers" feeding the bears or a grow-op feeding them to protect their crops:wink:.

SSS

Gateholio
A huntng lic and an open season is your authorization.

phoenix
I just talked to CO Mike Stearns(sic) and he said yes baiting of everything is allowed except for bears and migratory birds. Oh goody, more dogs from the deck!!! Oh yeah, the non baiting of bears is in the notes section under Legal Hunting Methods #6 pg16.
Very confusing as they mention them in the other rule also. I mentioned to him how confusing the way they have written it up is.
Kim

Whisky Creek
12-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Very effective if you can set it up within site of your living room window, as the whole family can keep an eye on it while going about the house and carrying on the daily household routines!
Mine was set up @ 195 yards, with the commited .223 rifle zero'd for that range.
You can pick which eyeball you want and it's far enough away to let the wolves and coyotes feel comfortable eating on it.