PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy new bow

hardy hunter
12-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Has anyone purcased a bow from Hunters friend. They say it is not a big process to ship to Canada. I am very skeptical.

Jonas111
12-22-2010, 08:13 AM
I have purchased used bows from the USA but never a new one. I have had to pay duty on the used bows that have come across the border. It really isn't that big of a deal.

What bow are you thinking of getting and are you experienced with bows enough to set them up?

If you need help setting them up its better to buy from a local shop that can tune it up for you or at least get the rest and d loop set up properly.

Good luck

willyqbc
12-22-2010, 09:49 AM
I have bought lots of gear out of the states and the duty is not bad. However, the method of shipping is hugely important. If they use regular US post you will be fine, BUT.....if they ship with a courier like UPS you will get nailed with astronomical brokerage fees. I once bought a target bow out of the states for around $1100, didn't realize they were shipping UPS and got stuck with a bill for over $400 brokerage fees.

Just something to be aware of!
Chris

BiG Boar
12-22-2010, 09:51 AM
I have bought lots of gear out of the states and the duty is not bad. However, the method of shipping is hugely important. If they use regular US post you will be fine, BUT.....if they ship with a courier like UPS you will get nailed with astronomical brokerage fees. I once bought a target bow out of the states for around $1100, didn't realize they were shipping UPS and got stuck with a bill for over $400 brokerage fees.

Just something to be aware of!
Chris

I wonder why USPS doesnt seem to get hit with the brokerage fees like UPS and fedex does? Anyone know why?

Bowzone_Mikey
12-22-2010, 11:23 AM
because UPS and Fedex are private companies and set their own brokerage rates ...

Like Willy Q I too have bought many things out of the states ... the one that sticks out in my mind is I traded a guy straight across bow for bow, I sent him mine via post office .... he sent me his via UPS ...he said it was worth 700 for insurance purposes ... I ended up paying 227 dollars in brokerage fees ....

Regardless I got the way better deal ... I had won my bow in a draw and it was a Concept 99% letoff .... a bow I would never use anyway ... he had a Hoyt Protec with 3000 limbs ..... I bow I had been looking for for a long time ....

StoneChaser
12-22-2010, 11:31 AM
My brother and I each picked up a 2010 Bowtech Admiral from them this past spring...entire works on the door ran us each ~$1050 CDN.....about $600 less than anywhere in Canada for like setups.

Hunters Friend was wicked to deal with, and every detail from draw length, poundage, peep aperature choice, arrow preference (fletching style, color, offset etc) was taken care of.

Prompt and precise....bow came out the box ready to rock (my brother Robin Hooded a pair in his first few shots).

I'd buy another from them in a heartbeat!

USPS will avoid any brokerage fees....simply pay the HST and you're off.

With the dollar nearly at par, it was/is a no brainer.

Bow Walker
12-22-2010, 11:55 AM
I've bought from the US plenty of times. Always, always use USPS over any courier service. Always.

Our dollar is particularly strong right now and it's a good time to buy. Hunters Friend is a great company to deal with - buy with confidence.

hardy hunter
12-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the info. Great site and great people.

uraarchr
12-23-2010, 09:47 PM
I bought from Archery Talk classifieds and he shipped USPS .Cheap and reliable!

jetboat jim
12-25-2010, 08:43 AM
stick to a local small shop, I bought a PSE Brute from boorman and the service I recieved from them was awsome to say the least !

Acadien
11-27-2013, 02:35 PM
I own a small bow shop in Ontario.
I carry two new bow lines.
Charron one piece and Jordan Stalker Take downs.
buying new in the US is not difficult but
you do get nailed for duty.
I have an import license and that way can sell at equal pricing.
Lower if your good:)))
email with details. michaelsta@icloud.com. or text 519-830-5044

Acadien
11-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Also have a couple of Black Creek and Toelke Demo bows
One Jordan Stalker Demo. take down
Others but would need to have a better idea of what your looking for.
SHARPSTICKS:))

donny.brooke
11-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Check the dates on the posts before yours lol. Hope he has found one by now.