PDA

View Full Version : The Official Coyote Thread

Stéphane
12-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Just kidding about the title, actually I need a bit of info related to coyote hunting.

I have a friend of mine who owns a farm and the coyotes are being what they are: predatory. I would love to help him, but I'm far from an expert in hunting coyotes. More accurately, I'm far from an expert in hunting period.
I did find a spot where they eat and gather. There was rest of a deer, eaten salmons, crap, fresh tracks etc.

Now, can I hide and wait for them to be in a shooting range of a bow? There is a great spot where I could put branches around and make a hideout.

Can I bait them? Or is it illegal?

Thanks!

Surrey Boy
12-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Since you already have identified feeding spots, baiting seems an inefficient way to go. I see them often coming in and out of the runs in the blackberries, so that's where I would perch.

Ours in Langley don't seem to have any fear when I'm out working, but when I lived in the Glen Valley those coyotes had a little more respect. I used to sit on the roof and they'd be just inside the west side of a cornfield and I could see their eyes reflecting the sunset behind me, so I'd aim between the dots.

Whisky Creek
12-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Stephane,

Provided that you do have a BC hunting license, coyotes are in season and there are no municipal laws prohibiting hunting or shooting in your area, baiting coyotes is a LEGAL method of hunting coyotes in BC. For bow range, a really good hiding spot and/or good camo, with the wind in your favour, will likely be necessary. Don't rely on them returning with any regularity to your known "feeding spot". Coyotes are going to eat at, and within a short distance of, where they find the food. Small food items are just eaten on the move as they are found by the coyote. (mice, voles etc....) Your known "feeding spot" might be a denning location that is used at certain times of the year. A local licensed trapper would be able to set snares on a location as you've described with good results if it was that right time of year, but since it is likely mostly used at whelping time, the season might be closed there. Have to check regs for that region.
But for you, baiting is an excellent way to get them to come to a given location with regularity and consistency. Once the birds (ravens / crows) are on the bait, the coyotes won't be far behind. Over bait, I usually set up about 200 yards away when using a rifle, which won't be an option for you if you plan on using a bow. If your buddy has a barn, and he's not concerned about bringing the coyotes in close to his barn, a bait within bow range of the barn might be your ticket....
If you can get inside of the barn, or in the hay loft, and have a small shooting opening, you'll likely be in luck. The trick will be to get a bait large enough (road killed deer, etc..) so that he has to eat it there without being able to drag it away. Let them eat on it for a day or two before you set up on it. Early morning is usually the best bet for your best opportunity. Get into the barn a couple hours before daylight and sit tight to wait, without being seen.

If baiting close to the barn isn't an option for you, and your wallet can accomodate, look at getting some camo (or really good hiding spot) and a predator call. There are numerous types on the market and provided the coyotes haven't been shot at before when being called, they are generally suckers for it. I've never used one, but I've heard that the guys using the "Fox Pro" electronic calls have huge success with them, even on call shy yodel dogs. Never tried one myself. I have been using Les Johnson's Ruffi-Dawg mouth calls and a children's toy (squeaky rubber mouse) the last couple of years with good success if I'm in a situation where I want or need to call. Otherwise, baiting is hugely successful.
Having said all that, there might be a bow hunter on here with better tips to get them into bow range for you if that is your option or choice.
And if you get one when its warm down there; just to experience the full meal deal, leave the coyote in the barn overnight and then skin em! By then his belly skin will be a bit green and the trick will be tubing him out between severe dry heaves! Not worth the 10 or 15 bucks really!
Hope it helps,
CLINT

phoenix
12-21-2010, 11:45 PM
I can't find hardly anything on baiting in the regs. I can find the definition pg3 and the statement on pg14 under It is Unlawful#17 where it says "where baiting is authorized" but I can't find anything authorizing it. I don't know why I always thought baiting of carnivores in BC was illegal but hey, I've been known to be wrong. I think it was back in '76:mrgreen:
Kim

Stéphane
12-22-2010, 01:38 AM
Thanks Whisky Creek. I will see what I can do with a hideout since the barn is off limit. What I meant by feeding spot was remains of a deer and they ate the dead salmons right by the creek. The remnant of a beaver dam seem to be the place where there is the most activity. I was hoping to built a hiding spot with fir and cedar branches. Leave some food and wait.

As for the firearm, no I only have a bow. In this section of Langley, only shotguns are allowed.

Surrey Boy, you say that you've seen them close enough? How close are we talking about? I heard of someone having his dog snatched in front of his eyes by a coyote. Must have a really hungry one.

Dannybuoy
12-22-2010, 01:47 AM
You might try calling them in as well . not sure what the best is down there but I know someone that has good success with a rabbit squeal

Surrey Boy
12-22-2010, 02:53 AM
Thanks Whisky Creek. I will see what I can do with a hideout since the barn is off limit. What I meant by feeding spot was remains of a deer and they ate the dead salmons right by the creek. The remnant of a beaver dam seem to be the place where there is the most activity. I was hoping to built a hiding spot with fir and cedar branches. Leave some food and wait.

As for the firearm, no I only have a bow. In this section of Langley, only shotguns are allowed.

Surrey Boy, you say that you've seen them close enough? How close are we talking about? I heard of someone having his dog snatched in front of his eyes by a coyote. Must have a really hungry one.

I've driven by them on the tractor ~20' away and they haven't cared. If I'm on foot they're a little skittish, but as long as they have an exit nearby they don't hide themselves. This is mostly in summer when the days are long and they come out to find mice in the hayfields after a cutting.

Dare I ask a neighbourhood? Salmon, so what creek? I help with Schedule C control along Nathan Creek, and the ravine at work drains into the Nikomekl eventually (Hopington).

Stéphane
12-22-2010, 07:40 AM
I've driven by them on the tractor ~20' away and they haven't cared. If I'm on foot they're a little skittish, but as long as they have an exit nearby they don't hide themselves. This is mostly in summer when the days are long and they come out to find mice in the hayfields after a cutting.

Dare I ask a neighbourhood? Salmon, so what creek? I help with Schedule C control along Nathan Creek, and the ravine at work drains into the Nikomekl eventually (Hopington).

I don't know the name of the creek, but it's on 256th north of Robertson Cr.

SG

wolverine
12-22-2010, 08:17 AM
If you opt for calling them in try a howler first. Then if you have no success after a couple of sets of calling (about 40 minutes) mix it up with the squealing rabbit call. Remember to call and do a lot of glassing in around tree line areas. Many times they have come to the edge of the trees and are stopped there while checking the area out. If you use the squealer first and call one in you had better kill him because if you don't that coyote just got "educated" and won't be coming to any call after that. Good luck and kill as many of the calf eating basturds as you see. BTW I agree completely with the other poster. I have better ways of making 15 bucks that skinning out a mangy coyote. If you get a good one from the interior and the pelt is prime it makes a nice wall hanger but you'll starve to death trying to sell Langley coyote pelts.

Cheers.

Whisky Creek
12-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Stephane,

Keep in mind that if you "fabricate" a blind to hide in, it will likely take a couple weeks for the coyotes to lose fear of it and go near it. They will know it is new, as it is their backyard, and they are certainly not stupid critters.
As Surrey Boy said, they are generally not too scared of tractors, pickup trucks and other equipment; until you stop.....
Good luck on your attempts!
CLINT