PDA

View Full Version : The use of a sling shot for grouse

leadpillproductions
12-20-2010, 08:23 PM
I was thinking of taking a sling shot for grouse when i go for sheep . Is it legal to hunt with a sling shot , would be a neat way to get some grouse , wouldnt weigh very much . Just a thought

Ambush
12-20-2010, 08:50 PM
I've shot lot's of grouse with a slingshot. Trouble is you got to carry ammo. Rocks don't fly worth crap and it's amazing how few there are around when you need one.
You may be farther ahead buying one of the adapters to shot small bore in your rifle.

If you go the slingshot route order in a few pounds of large diameter lead shot, about .030". Good flight and penetration. Marbles are to light and bulky. Steel ball bearings are a distant second best.

Don't get having too much fun and forget to hunt sheep.:-D

CSG
12-20-2010, 09:23 PM
We took a couple slingshots up sheep hunting with us last year, used rocks cause we didnt have anything else. we were shooting ptarmigan and it worked great. the rocks didnt fly straight worth shit, but the ptarmigan were nice enough to wait around till we got it right.

I am curious about using a 22 in sheep country. Would a sub-sonic round in open sheep country scare away rams in the mountains around the valley??

steelheadSABO
12-20-2010, 09:25 PM
http://www3.telus.net/gamegetter/

tinhorse
12-20-2010, 09:27 PM
how about a pellet hand gun. small and light, accurate, and you can carry as much ammo as you like.

BlacktailStalker
12-20-2010, 09:29 PM
You sure can.
I usually have one in my pack while elk hunting.

coach
12-20-2010, 10:56 PM
how about a pellet hand gun. small and light, accurate, and you can carry as much ammo as you like.

From Page 17 of the hunting-trapping synopsis:

Firearms
- No person shall hunt wildlife with a handgun.

I'm not sure about pellet guns either. The regs mention only rimfire, centrefire and bow - all legal for grouse or ptarmigan.

steelheadSABO
12-20-2010, 10:59 PM
but under 495fps is not classified as a firearm therefor may be exempt. holy it was hard to spit out those words

peashooter
12-20-2010, 11:04 PM
many camp dinners have come by way of slingshot.

okanagan hiker
12-20-2010, 11:06 PM
As I read this you cannot hunt using a pellet gun in BC. Go figure.

Page 3 of the hunting regs

Firearm

- includes a device that propels a

projectile by means of an explosion, compressed

gas or spring and includes a rifle,
shotgun, handgun, pellet gun, "BB" gun or spring

gun but does not include a bow.

Handgun

– is a firearm that is designed,

altered or intended to be aimed and fired by

the action of one hand or that has a barrel less

than 305 mm (12 in.) in length

Page 9 -

Handguns

It is illegal to hunt with a handgun in BC.

shawnwells
12-20-2010, 11:10 PM
my first attempt at killing anything as a hunter when i was a kid... i pinged a grouse with a pellet gun handgun and it flew away feathers flying....i felt so shitty....my 9mm woulda killed the shit outta him tho...canadas gotta see the light...punk ass gun law hurt a grouse...punk ass laws...

tinhorse
12-20-2010, 11:14 PM
yeah i guess if you used a pellet gun a head shot would be necessary. Just thought it would be a little easier than a sling shot.

tinhorse
12-20-2010, 11:15 PM
never used either myself but i do know my .22 and 12 gauge works well.

leadpillproductions
12-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Just looking for somethin light weight on a sheep hunt

leadpillproductions
12-20-2010, 11:46 PM
What sling shots do you guys use

jamfarm
12-21-2010, 12:35 AM
Hmmm, I like the idea of a sling shot. No noise. Nothing worse than being on a hunt and popping some grouse with your 22 or shotgun and wondering if you scared something bigger away.

Gateholio
12-21-2010, 01:08 AM
Slingshots are legal, pellet handguns are not, as they fall under the BC Hunting regs definition of "handgun" even though they are not considered firearms federally.

Big7
12-21-2010, 02:46 AM
Not sure if this link will work...if it doesn't...type it in....who needs a gun, really!!

Big7

http://www.wimp.com/toogood/

pale rider
12-21-2010, 07:33 AM
i found a load of lead shrapnel balls on a car boot sale,think thay are from a first world war shell,thay are great in a sling,and cheap.

XPEIer
12-21-2010, 07:39 AM
Page 16 of the Regs;

Uppland Game Birds - rifles - shotguns - Bow b,c,d there is no mention of using a slingshot for grouse.

Dont know how much this is enforced, but lets say a CO highlighted this page for me.

XPEIer

Stresd
12-21-2010, 08:16 AM
Page 16 of the Regs;

Uppland Game Birds - rifles - shotguns - Bow b,c,d there is no mention of using a slingshot for grouse.

Dont know how much this is enforced, but lets say a CO highlighted this page for me.

XPEIer

And there is no mention of rocks, sticks or a boot. All of which I have taken grouse with. :wink:

XPEIer
12-21-2010, 08:17 AM
And there is no mention of rocks, sticks or a boot. All of which I have taken grouse with. :wink:

Good point, hope you are correct as I love using my slingshot.

Cheap ammo, rob the kids of thier marbles.

XPEIer

KevinB
12-21-2010, 08:26 AM
I'd say page 16 page is outlining the restrictions of use of those particular tools, I don't see where it says that rifles, shotguns, or archery tackle are the only legal hunting methods. If I kill a grouse with a slingshot, or a stick, etc., where am I contravening the regs?

You'd really have to look at the Act to be sure. But, I'll keep using sticks, rocks, and whatever else I can scrounge off the ground to kill grouse. A nice heavy stick about 1.5 feet long works pretty good as a thrown grouse-killer.

KevinB
12-21-2010, 08:29 AM
or a boot.

A boot is a new one for me. Nice!

Does it have to have a minimum size? US or European? Can I borrow my hunting buddy's size 13 Magnum or is that not considered fair chase? :mrgreen:

Gateholio
12-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Unless there is a law in the Wildlife Act against the use of slingshots (or rocks or sticks) then it is not against the law, regardless of what the chart in the regs say...

There is no such law, BTW.

Chuck
12-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Slingshots are perfect for grouse, provided you can hit something with it, otherwise it's pretty useless.
Marbles, as stated earlier, are somewhat light, but don't let that deter you if you've got a fast slingshot you can use well. I've knocked crows, stone cold out of trees with marbles, and at a fair distance too.
Most slingshots I've discovered are impressive looking devices, but pretty useless from a practical point of view. That yellowish, semi-transparent, surgical tubing is pretty crappy imo as well. Best go for a simple "Y", and I've found those green ones at Home Hardware are best, and affordable.
Swap that tubing for some thicker blue/green tubing available from your local physiotherapy clinic, it's cheap and much faster than the original.
Those rectangular pouches should be tossed for a decent oval,willow leaf shaped pouch also - make your own. You know how to thread the tubing through itsself, with the help of a little talc powder to attach the new pouch? Heat a nail to carefully put those holes through the tubing wall. Match the tubing "lay" on each side. A bag of marbles and you're ready to go. Shooting a slingshot is best understood by bow hunters. Just be consistant with your drawback and don't alter it. Focus on putting the crotch on the target - no need for a "head shot". It's "instinctive" shooting - and of course lots of practice is a good thing.

bigwhiteys
12-21-2010, 10:19 AM
If you're sheep hunting, I've never seen much for Grouse. Always see lots of Ptarmigan though, and when you do see them it's usually when you've jumped them in the rocks. No need for a slingshot, just smack em with a rock and it's DONE! A slingshot and ball bearings is just more shit to carry.

Carl

goatdancer
12-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Unless there is a law in the Wildlife Act against the use of slingshots (or rocks or sticks) then it is not against the law, regardless of what the chart in the regs say...

There is no such law, BTW.

I checked with F&W in Victoria earlier this year and they said slingshots were legal. Why do some of you doubt Gatehouse????????

gitnadoix
12-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Better yet start hunting with a bow, that way any grouse or Ptarmigan are just a soft wispering ffft away from the dinner pot.......

Moosehunter64
12-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Well I have taken a couple grouse with rocks before so have I broken the law?? LOL.

Tenacious Billy
12-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Is there any mention of taking grouse with your truck? Me thinks there's probably been more grouse taken with guy's bumpers (likely second only to guns) than by boots, sticks and rocks........

Farmer
12-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Slingshots are perfect for grouse, provided you can hit something with it, otherwise it's pretty useless.
Marbles, as stated earlier, are somewhat light, but don't let that deter you if you've got a fast slingshot you can use well. I've knocked crows, stone cold out of trees with marbles, and at a fair distance too.
A bag of marbles and you're ready to go. Shooting a slingshot is best understood by bow hunters. Just be consistant with your drawback and don't alter it. Focus on putting the crotch on the target - no need for a "head shot". It's "instinctive" shooting - and of course lots of practice is a good thing.

I disagree on the comment "no need for a head shot" A big blue grouse hit in the middle of the back will quite likely fly away and die or at least suffer a fair bit. The trick is to aim for the head and maybe a hair high so that if you do miss, you shoot over the grouse and it will quite often sit for another shot or ten. Marbles are plenty heavy enough for head shots. Heck my brother got a blue once with a one inch pine cone - Grassy hill with no rocks. We used to be a lot better with the slingshot. As kids we whacked starlings, crows, skunks and feral cats. We would be riding our bikes down the road with no hands on the handlebars smacking fenceposts as we went along. I still carry my slingshot in my daypack along with 20 or so marbles or round rocks.

bforce750
12-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Better yet start hunting with a bow, that way any grouse or Ptarmigan are just a soft wispering ffft away from the dinner pot.......

And about $7-10 per shot , no thanks

bforce750
12-21-2010, 05:15 PM
I bought one of those henry mini bolts and have shot them with the Qb's while i'm deer hunting,works good

Mtn Wonderer
12-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Get yourself a Hammond Game Getter and actually get your bird, the first try. Save weight and bulk of a couple mountain house meals, carry the gamegetter and thirty rounds(quiet light for its capabilties). I can't enough good things about them.

MTW

mercury0_0
12-21-2010, 10:54 PM
This guy has modified his slingshot to shoot arrows. Pretty cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6LxKfpAPYA&feature=related

elkdom
12-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Is there any mention of taking grouse with your truck? Me thinks there's probably been more grouse taken with guy's bumpers (likely second only to guns) than by boots, sticks and rocks........

a 12.50" X 35" X16" all terrain MS tire at 30 kph makes real good "grouse patties":shock:

phoenix
12-21-2010, 11:25 PM
Read and learn ht tp://slingshotforum.com/ (http://slingshotforum.com/) Lot's of info on building and powering your own grouse getter.
Kim

phoenix
12-21-2010, 11:27 PM
This guy has modified his slingshot to shoot arrows. Pretty cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6LxKfpAPYA&feature=related

Word to the wise, don't use plastic fletched arrows, they don't like to go through the ring too well.:wink:
Kim

XPEIer
12-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Sweet, now I cant wait till next season. To be honest, I am better with my slingshot than with my old Cooey 22.

Plus, I can carry it with me all the time.

Xpeier

brenden
12-22-2010, 09:28 AM
The best and most available slingshot ammo for killing grouse in my area is lodgepole pinecones. Laugh it up boys but they fly straight and kill grouse like crazy. I have also killed grouse with, rocks, steelies, 1/4 inch nuts, sections of wood branches sawed up with a leatherman and ........ a carmex chapstick container. I spend about 40 hours a week wondering around in pine forests and the fresh lodgepole cones are my first choice.
(I would clasify myself as an expert:mrgreen: on alternative slinshot ammo sources) I would estimate about 12 kills this season with cones and probably half that with other stuff. Spruce grouse will almost always give you a close shot but ruffies are tougher with a slingshot. Cones have an odd oblong shape but for whatever reason they fly very straight and fast within grouse killing distances. Try them. You'll save a ton of money on ridiculously expensive steelies.

Brenden

honda450
12-22-2010, 09:38 AM
For this I go to the dollar store and buy 100 marbles for a buck. Great cheap ammo.:mrgreen:

30 grain round nose. hehehe

Chuck
12-22-2010, 10:26 AM
I disagree on the comment "no need for a head shot" A big blue grouse hit in the middle of the back will quite likely fly away and die or at least suffer a fair bit. The trick is to aim for the head and maybe a hair high so that if you do miss, you shoot over the grouse and it will quite often sit for another shot or ten. Marbles are plenty heavy enough for head shots. Heck my brother got a blue once with a one inch pine cone - Grassy hill with no rocks. We used to be a lot better with the slingshot. As kids we whacked starlings, crows, skunks and feral cats. We would be riding our bikes down the road with no hands on the handlebars smacking fenceposts as we went along. I still carry my slingshot in my daypack along with 20 or so marbles or round rocks.

You're probably correct with reference to big blues, as I recall they are much tougher than ruffies or fool hens. Of course climbing high for sheep, it's likely that that's where they'll be found. Around these parts and in my experience, they aren't that common and I didn't especially consider them in my point of view. In the W. Kootenay area, stumbling on blues while hunting high for big mulies will happen, but mostly not.

leadpillproductions
12-22-2010, 11:40 AM
When we go chickens wont be open so no sling shot for us just sheep ohh well

gitnadoix
12-22-2010, 02:57 PM
And about $7-10 per shot , no thanks

What the ????????? do you throw your arrows away after you use them once ????

I have one flu flu that so far has acounted for 5 bush chickens, see no need to throw it away......

blackford
12-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Does it matter what kind of slingshot is used. The local store has one for 7.99. Is that gonna pack enough punch.

Farmer
12-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Does it matter what kind of slingshot is used. The local store has one for 7.99. Is that gonna pack enough punch.

As was mentioned earlier, It depends on the rubber tubing. Personally, I am more accurate with a softer rubber tubing that is easier to pull back than the heavy stuff. (boy that almost sounds bad) We use slingshots made from 1/4 inch rod that is bent to shape. I probably haven't used a store bought one for 40 years.