PDA

View Full Version : Cull on the Island

Crazy_Farmer
12-20-2010, 05:42 PM
I have a list of demands.

1 - An unplugged mag extension semi
2 - Access to closed areas (city limits, DU land, sanctuarys)
3 - No day light restriction
4 - Baiting allowed
5 - Gov pays for my shells, food and lodging...and a little cash on the side
6 - Gov let me put some sort of silencer on my shotgun and I'll do all this without any tree hugging granola eating david suzuki loving hippies finding out.
7 - Gov gives all the birds to shelters around the province

And I will fix your problem... :wink:

Two research papers about to be published detail the enormous destruction being done by resident Canada geese.
One paper, by Parksville biologist Neil Dawe and Victoria biologist Andy Stewart, focuses on the geese. The other, by Dawe, Stewart and Qualicum Beach biologist Ron Buechert, considers the damage done by the geese to the Little Qualicum River estuary over the past 20 years.
The geese have dramatically altered the habitat, the studies find, eradicating plants, altering the landscape and channel flows, and affecting populations of crustaceans, insects, worms, and ultimately the birds and salmon dependent on them.

Though not entirely the fault of the geese (humans have had their impacts, too), significant portions of the estuary have been changed from a brackish marsh, the most productive kind in terms of the life it supports, to a salt water marsh, the least productive kind.
Similar destruction is likely occurring in estuaries and marshes from Victoria to Campbell River.

The biologists recommend that the geese be eliminated but, if that's not politically palatable, that they be culled at least to the point where they're not destroying the habitat.

The studies in part compare research done by Dawe in 1978 to their findings in 2005 through 2009, revisiting sites that are now almost unrecognizable from what they were 30 years ago, save for features such as a log stuck in the muck that hasn't moved in all that time and stakes driven in by Dawe that are still there.
Dawe says the best approach is to eliminate all of the more than 15,000 resident Canada geese on Vancouver Island or at least to reduce their numbers significantly.

"We now know that they have harmed the native habitat, that they've eliminated a large proportion of the most productive plants on the estuary," he says. "This is significant because these plants are the foundation of the estuarine food web. The plants support tiny organisms, which feed the salmon and ultimately hundreds of other animals, including eagles and humans. We've got to get rid of the resident geese."

ruger#1
12-20-2010, 05:46 PM
I have a list of demands.

1 - An unplugged mag extension semi
2 - Access to closed areas (city limits, DU land, sanctuarys)
3 - No day light restriction
4 - Baiting allowed
5 - Gov plays for my shells, food and lodging...and a little cash on the side

And I will fix your problem... :wink:#5, Wouldn't you rather them pay for them. If they play with them . Then what are you going to use as ammo.

Crazy_Farmer
12-20-2010, 05:46 PM
#5, Wouldn't you rather them pay for them. If they play with them . Then what are you going to use as ammo.

maybe....thanks :mrgreen:

ruger#1
12-20-2010, 05:48 PM
I was wondering when you were going to post about the cull. Did you get any deer this year?

tristanmac
12-20-2010, 05:48 PM
HAH...im in

Crazy_Farmer
12-20-2010, 05:53 PM
I was wondering when you were going to post about the cull. Did you get any deer this year?

I couldnt get the time off when it was really good unfortunately so I didnt get out. Still shooting ducks though, so it makes me feel better. :-D

ruger#1
12-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Good deal. I think I said it last year. Better luck next year. You will get one.

heyblast
12-21-2010, 03:21 PM
What, the goverment use my tax dollars to buy those winchester shells. No way.:-D

Crazy_Farmer
12-21-2010, 04:52 PM
What, the goverment use my tax dollars to buy those winchester shells. No way.:-D

Well if they wanted to spend the extra, I wouldnt mind a truckload of hevi-shot instead. :wink:

heyblast
12-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Now your talkin.

kyleklassen
12-21-2010, 07:16 PM
theres lots of culls on the island. i work with several

Marc
12-21-2010, 07:31 PM
This should be interesting to see what happens here. I'm sure they wouldn't have trouble recruiting shooters but we need to have access inside town to make the difference. There is just to many safe spots for them to sit and eat grass.

Farmer
12-22-2010, 08:38 PM
The environmentalists will be up in arms about this - unless they like to golf or use public parks. :) Really the hunters should be against this as well. From the reports from Marc and others on the island, Hunters enjoy this renewable resource, so why would they want to remove the geese or reduce their numbers drastically.
The comment by one of the biologists that the Little Qualicum estuary is unrecognizeable from the way it was in 1978 is kind of a joke. How many estuaries or marshes look the same after the last 32 years? So many man influenced and natural happenings have occured over that time that have impacted and changed the estuary, that to blame it on the Canada geese is probably a huge stretch.
I don't know if the geese were reintroduced on the island like they were in the Fraser Valley 30 some years ago or thereabouts.
In the valley there are instances where they are too numerous, but the powers that be have adjusted seasons to a certain extent to allow for a higher harvest. The hunters do not seem to mind having more geese around to hunt. It sure beats seeing one or two flocks in your vicinty during the whole season.

Marc
12-23-2010, 12:45 AM
The problem with the Island is you can increase the season and limits all you want but if we can't get at the majority of the birds we can't put a dent in the population.

The birds on the island were introduced and have dramatically increased over time. They'll never get rid of them all without targeting the now protected areas and who wants them all gone like you've said.

pale rider
12-23-2010, 08:54 AM
maybe thay could advertise the cull as a working holiday,i would love to come if the government provide one of them 7 barreled gatling guns,and a million rounds,i would solve there problem in a day,he he

field marshal
12-23-2010, 02:17 PM
There is no way on God's green earth this is going to fly.:confused:
How the hell are you going to get rid of 15,000 geese?????
It ain't happening,so why even discuss it!!!
We've been hearing the same shit for years.:evil:
Cheers, Field Marshal.

12-23-2010, 03:05 PM
There is no way on God's green earth this is going to fly.:confused:
How the hell are you going to get rid of 15,000 geese?????
It ain't happening,so why even discuss it!!!
We've been hearing the same shit for years.:evil:
Cheers, Field Marshal.

Hey, But wouldnt it be fun to walk up to a flock on Someno's marsh and whippin out the Gage!