PDA

View Full Version : A new blacktail mount at Home

Jetboater
12-20-2010, 02:28 PM
here is a buck I shot with my bow when I was 19 years old... last year I had it officially scored at 151 6/8 gross and 131 6/8 net... took me 11 years to get a cape on it... not really realizing what I had at the time...nonetheless I am super pumped with the wicked job my taxidermist did on it....its tied for #1 in BC with a bow...

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w159/tnt3113/IMG_1196.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w159/tnt3113/IMG_1195.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w159/tnt3113/IMG_1192.jpg

Brew
12-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Thats a big buck. Looks awesome

rifleman
12-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Wow a buck like that needs a story. Massive beast! for sure

12-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Sheesh thats a Dandy BT !

Very nice heavy mainframe on that one ........

Congrats !

CT

warnniklz
12-20-2010, 03:46 PM
I love it!

Still gotta get me a blackie

savagecanuck
12-20-2010, 03:46 PM
Nice buck but where do you get the tied for #1 in BC .I got mine with a bow on Dec 10th it grossed 164 7/8"

stitch
12-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Nice buck but where do you get the tied for #1 in BC .I got mine with a bow on Dec 10th it grossed 164 7/8"
I'm pretty sure yours was a mule deer where this is a blacktail:wink:

And congrats on that BT.......very cool mount!

savagecanuck
12-20-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm pretty sure yours was a mule deer where this is a blacktail:wink:
That what I was thinking.Blacktail are they only on the island?

muledeercrazy
12-20-2010, 04:20 PM
double post

d6dan
12-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Beauty blacktail Jetboater!.. Looks real nice..

muledeercrazy
12-20-2010, 04:23 PM
coastal deer mostly.. i bet rick berreth would like to have an updated pic of you trophy for his trophy deer of bc book! Hell of a buck!

that would qualify for b&c awards and bc book, just short of b&c all time non-typical. real nice

Manglinmike
12-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Hey Thomas nice mount for sure ,I didn't think that I would ever see it finally mounted!Did you get h/c to do the work?

~T-BONE~
12-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Looks real good Thomas!! Waaay better spot for that rack! Enjoy.......

hunter1947
12-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Thats a fantastic head mount you got on the wall I like the looks of the antlers on him http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif..

Gateholio
12-20-2010, 05:30 PM
Great buck!:-D

Lets hear the story!

stixnstones
12-20-2010, 08:43 PM
way to go buddy.love that narley blacktail!!! did ya get that other one u were lookin for?pm me .lets go steely fishing.

luckynuts
12-20-2010, 10:11 PM
That's one awesome black tail and killed with a bow to-boot!!!! Sweet. Congrats on a hog of a deer and a great mount as well

W.

greybark
12-20-2010, 10:30 PM

:wink:Hey savagecanuck , P&Y and I believe BC Records Club do not recognize Cross bow Harvests as taken with a bow .
:-D Great Buck Thomas !!!!!

Jetboater
12-21-2010, 07:33 AM
Hard to remember a story exactly to the T when it happened 11 years ago but here is my best shot at it…
This buck was first seen in late October already dogging a doe ,a buddy and I had a quick glimpse of him as he took off chasing a doe in a really nasty devils club thicket. Once we saw the massive rack we never looked back… that was the buck we were going to kill…
As we started learning this buck we realized we might have taken on a little greater challenge than what we expected…. Every time we saw this buck he had already seen us and was slinking away… 9 different times had we seen him leave the same 200yd devils club choked ravine… but we finally were putting the pieces of the puzzle together…

This buck was different especially when I look back on it now… he would bed up every day in the exact same spot under a big cedar tree in the middle of the ravine where the wind would swirl for him perfectly….he was bedded every day even when the rut was in full swing… he did all his rutting under the stars…he never rubbed a tree in the ravine .. but we found his rubs 300yrds away in an alder flat.

S we finally found him and new his escape route, the only problem was the closest we could get to him was approx 60 yds when he escaped. So for a few days I was practicing out to 65 yds in all sorts of positions. I knew I would get one chance at this buck and Knew I had to make it count…
Finally November 24 came around, it was pouring rain and blowing hard this was the day to make our move . Hoping he was still in the same spot.… My buddy and I had devised a plan that I would circle down wind of the ravine and set up where we watched the buck escape each time, my buddy would sneak around and put his wind across the ravine and push the buck out right to me…

So rarely does a plan come together that I was almost shocked when I saw the white face and red antlers working their way towards the trail he always used, that really put the shakes in the body…when the buck finally cleared a massive log laying on the ground my body went into overdrive an all the practice that I had ever done kicked in … I trusted my bow… the wind was still and the 60yd pin settled on the sweet spot… the crease behind the shoulder… half ways up the chest…at this point the rest is a blur… all I remember was the arrow checking up way over the buck as it dropped right into the sweet spot…at 60 yds with 2514 eastons and 125 grain broadheads your arrows really checks up high… when the arrow went into his chest it was at a 30 degree angle….

When the buck bolted out of there he headed straight down the ravine into an alder flat. As my buddy showed up I was shaking like a school boy at a catholic church….we celebrated for a short time but the rain kicked in and the day was ending quickly… as we searched for him into the dark we watched as the blood slowly was washing away…
We elected to come back in the morning and pick up the trial again…the next morning we searched for 4 hrs… astonished that he wasn’t within the first 100yds made me sick to my stomach….then it happened just before dark the one spot we didn’t look under we found him… buried under an old cedar ..he had dug himself in before he died… 0nly 150yds from the shot… after gutting him we realize the meat was starting to spoil as he had insulated himself under the cedar…and he was quite bloated…. When we got him home we salvaged what we could and threw his antlers on the pile with a few others…

It wasn’t until a couple of years ago when I met Jamie from high Caliber taxidermy that he convince me to bring it by….when he saw it his jaws dropped and told me I had to mount that buck and get it scored… so last year in December I had the buck officially scored and gave Jamie a cape off a mature deer I had shot last year….and this is the end result…

Jamie did an awesome job on this deer and it will last a lifetime in my living room with the rest of the herd…

Jetboater
12-21-2010, 08:29 AM
here he is with the rest
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w159/tnt3113/IMG_1202.jpg

proguide66
12-21-2010, 09:27 AM
HOLY SHIT !
Man , and to see the damned thing 9 TIMES!! I dont think I could handle that stress , hehe...cant even imagine the adrenaline and pressure while drawing the arrow back on that beats,

pretty sweet , choking with envy!!!!:-D

Muleycatcher
12-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Wow!! That is a sick looking BT. Nice buck and nice mount!

The Hermit
12-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Wow, that is all just WOW!!! Greybark mentioned that a crossbow was used... is that true or a compound, or recurve, or longbow?

Jetboater
12-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Wow, that is all just WOW!!! Greybark mentioned that a crossbow was used... is that true or a compound, or recurve, or longbow?
shot with an old alpine compound....

BlacktailStalker
12-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Character stomper blacktail.
IT just doesnt get any better !
Nice 'herd.'

Stone Sheep Steve
12-21-2010, 01:19 PM
I, for one, am glad that I've been educated on big blacktails through numerous threads on here. Makes me appreciate that buck so much more!!

Great buck Thomas...and even greater with the history and using a bow!

SSS

Ovis17
12-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Very nice BT indeed. It's about time it's on the wall........... :mrgreen:

redneckdale
12-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Shit! Great buck and at 19! now go out and whack a 210"mulie:mrgreen:

greybark
12-21-2010, 01:40 PM
:icon_frow Hey Hermit , Read my post again .

sbd
12-21-2010, 02:10 PM
yah nice antlers,the ears look to be out of place to far down the neck Ive seen a lot of mounts,just dont like the location of those ears,like the blind guy said Ganders,the ears should be at least 3 quarters to 1 inch from the base

Jetboater
12-21-2010, 02:33 PM
I really dont like Ganders mounts(too blocky of a face) and the ears are only 1 inch from the base...so I dont know what your talking about....

SHACK
12-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Actually Thomas, I kinda got the same feel, not slagging ya, just the only thing that stood out to me, you know Im not one to hold back a punch ;) could be the way it was photographed, but they do look a bit low and back. Sorry Jamie! Im with you on Ganders work though, not for me! Had him do one BT about 8 years back and it looks DEAD.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-21-2010, 06:48 PM
Pictures almost never do taxidermy justice:neutral:.

SSS

BlacktailStalker
12-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Never noticed that, the ears are real low.
Doesnt take away from the accomplishment of a nice mature buck BT though.

blackcreekboy
12-24-2010, 05:05 PM
I can not believe a guy posts a picture of a dead 150 inch Blacktail and there is so little response,and how it quickly turned negative.Hey jetboater way to freakin go man.Awesome buck.Truly shows how few people on this forum Know anything about blacktails.

Heavy Metal
12-24-2010, 05:34 PM
I can not believe a guy posts a picture of a dead 150 inch Blacktail and there is so little response,and how it quickly turned negative.Hey jetboater way to freakin go man.Awesome buck.Truly shows how few people on this forum Know anything about blacktails.

Well said, that is a beautiful deer and looks awesome on the wall.

slyfox
12-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Look,s good one real nice big blacktail congrats again. The other deer are muley and another blacktail.

killer
12-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Beautiful buck,nice work with the others.