PDA

View Full Version : Has a CO ever asked you...

mungojeerie
12-20-2010, 12:03 AM
Just curious if anyone has been stopped by CO's in the bush or at game checks and asked you to produce your registration for a firearm in your possession?

I know of a number of people who registered firearms and only received registration papers back for a fraction of what they sent in for.

IMO CO's know there are or at least were so many flaws in the registration system that unless they are investigating a crime would not ask for such documentation.

Also... do you carry your registration with you while you hunt as your supposed to? Or does it sit at home in your gun cabinet?

Old Crow
12-20-2010, 12:05 AM
I keep photocopies in my gun cases, that way if they're that eager they can come back to camp with me.

Everett
12-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Never carey reg. papers been checked 7 times by CO's never asked. Also been through 4 rcmp road blocks with firearms in view never even been asked why I have a gun in the rack once in downtown outside a school. Thats all in the last 4 years. I also fly with a gun at least twice a year don't carry reg papers then either.

threedhunter
12-20-2010, 12:17 AM
No co in b.c. will ask you to produce your regy . They have elected to not enforce the federal position after b.c. lost its firearms officer.

mungojeerie
12-20-2010, 12:34 AM
I've only been stopped once by CO's and the only reason they were there was to release a HUGE black bear that they were trailering.

They asked to inspect weapons, and for our PAL's and Hunting licences... but not about registration... and I have never carried my registrations with me.

The idiot who sold my licence wrote the info out on a tag page or something, and idiot no.2 (myself) didn't notice... the CO was not impressed and said that the store who issued it would be fined.

Come to think about it I do a lot of hunting and fishing so I've spent a lot of time in the bush and I've only ever seen 3 c/o's in BC... kinda sad.

lovemywinchester
12-20-2010, 12:49 AM
If you want to see CO`s come to Whistler and Squamish area. They are busy all summer dealing with bears and game checks on the highway in the fall. Was stopped in Nov. and they checked our licences and guns but asked for no other paperwork. My buddy was fined because he shot a mulie at Tunkwa and butchered it there himself. Was busted for not having the head or balls on it even though it was all wrapped and labeled. They asked for no reg. paperwork. Rare to see them on the rivers here except during the runs. Nice guys for the most part. There is a hot CO in Squam. She is young and looks like Nelly Furtado with an attitude. They can be pricks at times and write tickets to dirt bikers on the logging roads but do as they are told I guess.

mungojeerie
12-20-2010, 01:06 AM
Looks like nelly furtado you say?... hmmmmm :mrgreen:

lol yeah out of the 3 times I had been stopped only one was while hunting, the other two fishing and it was in Squamish!

There were two officers, one from squamish and the other from north van. The bear they were releasing was from north van.

deer nut
12-20-2010, 01:19 AM
I know of a hunter who was up in Dease Lake & had his rifle confiscated by the RCMP because he didn't have his registration with him. Needless to say, his moose hunt was ruined. I have also flown with my rifle & was asked to show the registration. I was told that it is actually unlawful to copy or laminate the reg papers too so I always carry mine in a zip loc. Better safe than sorry....

mungojeerie
12-20-2010, 01:27 AM
I was told that it is actually unlawful to copy or laminate the reg papers too so I always carry mine in a zip loc. Better safe than sorry....

Yeah, that's BS IMO, how can you tell someone they cannot laminate a piece of paper they are expected to carry with them while engaged in outdoor activities like hunting.

my "hunting/fishing wallet" is a Pelican 1010 waterproof case, I always have dry bags and dry cases with me.. but still.. seriously that's nonsense!

ufishifish2
12-20-2010, 01:41 AM
So far they have been pretty predictable. They check to see that the rifle is unloaded, then check that I have a hunting license.
After that I think they probably silently laugh while thinking about all the tag soup I'll be eating come December!

hunter1947
12-20-2010, 03:21 AM
Never from a CO only by the cops..

ryanb
12-20-2010, 04:07 AM
Never been asked for it by the CO or cops. I never carry the registration with me. It's not an offense not to have the registration with you for non-restricted firearms. The worst they can do is take the gun away until you produce the registration, which in some situations is bad enough I suppose but I'll take my chances.

M.Dean
12-20-2010, 07:33 AM
From the CO's "horses" mouth" We will not enforce the Gun Registry, it's a Federal Issue, we are Provencal" But, I carry mine just in case I'm stopped by the RCMP, just so there's no problems. I would guess tho, if you caused a serious problem, the CO's would ask for your paper work etc, it cost nothing to have it on your person!

elkdom
12-20-2010, 08:42 AM
I usually hand them my expired Non Tidal sport Fishing license,,,
so far they have been satisfied with that! :twisted:

Steeleco
12-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Nope never. Even the few RCMP I've spoke to this year while hunting didn't ask. They only wanted to know that they were empty.

TheProvider
12-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Never been asked and I do not carry the regs. One time I was over at my brother-inlaw's farm to shoot pigeons. Due too a rock cliff the country road actually goes between his barn and house. Standing by his barn a cruiser drove by(his neighbor who's a cop) giving me a suspicious look he spun around and drove up to me. "Do I even wanna know what your doing?" "Shooting pigeons for Shawn!" "Oh, ok." With that he took a long look at my benelli in Max-4 and said, "NIce gun! I like it!!" Then he drove off. Had never met him before but knew he was a hunter

r106
12-20-2010, 09:12 AM
I usually hand them my expired Non Tidal sport Fishing license,,,
so far they have been satisfied with that! :twisted:

LOL has that actually workrd? I wouldn't be suprized if it was RCMP but not a CO

I carry my regs in my truck but they usualy stay there when I go for a walk

igojuone
12-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Don't carry and never been asked. Ran into CO's twice this year and three times last years. Priorities seem to be loaded, license and maybe FAC.

Gun Dog
12-20-2010, 09:21 AM
I keep photocopies in my gun bag & pack.

Never been asked for it by the CO or cops. I never carry the registration with me. It's not an offense not to have the registration with you for non-restricted firearms. The worst they can do is take the gun away until you produce the registration, which in some situations is bad enough I suppose but I'll take my chances.

I tried reading the Firearm Act. If you lend a firearm then you must provide the registration slip too. That's it. In the end you must satisfy the officer that the firearm is registered and the easiest way to do that is with the registration. It's no different than carrying proof of insurance for your quad or truck.

12-20-2010, 09:32 AM
You legally need to have the original reg slips.
co's are Able, although have not asked me to produce.

But you Legally need to have the original , not photo copy on hand to give to a law officer when asked.

This is what i was told at 1-800-731-4000

jrjonesy
12-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Never had a CO ask me for a registration.

RCMP asked us for them in Alberta this year. That was before we told them we were only bowhunting.

Caveman
12-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Never been asked to produce it

One Shot
12-20-2010, 10:08 AM
I have never been asked to produce a reg. cert. by any LE agency except by Can. customs.

Ronforca
12-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Whats a co?Have not seen one for so long that I would not know what one looks like.I guess that they do not have very many here in tha Okanagan.

Gateholio
12-20-2010, 11:21 AM
You aren't legally required to have them on hand, but you must prove they are registered if asked. Peace officers should be able to access the registry to do this. Never been asked for pal or reg certs by a CO but I have from RCMP. In this case I didn't have reg certs but just asked if the guns were rdgistered. He didn't seem to concerned.

12-20-2010, 11:23 AM
You aren't legally required to have them on hand, but you must prove they are registered if asked. .

Why did the firearms center tell me you legally did need to have them on hand?

Honest question

landphil
12-20-2010, 12:07 PM
In all the years I've fished and hunted, I've never been stopped by a C.O., so am not qualified to answer your question. Wierd, Huh?

I was told that it is actually unlawful to copy or laminate the reg papers too so I always carry mine in a zip loc. Better safe than sorry....

You were given incorrect information - this from the CFC website:

Q. Can I laminate my paper registration certificates to protect them from wear and tear?
Yes.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/reg-enr-eng.htm#c5

I couldn't find any specifics on copying, but I copied mine on my high resolution colour copier, (you cannot tell by looking at them they are copies), then had them laminated. Since the copies are perfectly legible and provide the necessary proof of registration, I'm confident they will suffice. Bag or no bag, plain paper originals would be illegible in a few years in my care.:-|

P.S. - it's way cheaper to have them laminated by the page than as individual cards, so long as you have some scissor skills.

Ambush
12-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Never been asked. But I haven't hunted with a gun for quite a while. Hopefully that will change this winter.:-D

BUT:
I have laminated [illegal?] copies [illegal?] of all my guns regi's that I can take with me in my hunting license folder. If they really need further proof, I can always get the originals later.
I'm not going to take the chance of losing or trashing an original regi, 'cause I don't want the hassle of replacing it.

Don't look for trouble, don't make trouble and you likely won't have any trouble. Seems some folks can't resist puffing out their chest and telling LEO's that they know their rights as honest citizens, and loud enough that their buddies can be impressed.
How do you react to obnoxious pr!cks? Don't have to answer that; I've read hundreds of post on HBC about the levels of aggression that many would respond with. Well, LEO's simply respond with the legal tools at hand. And that may mean your hunting trip is over.

Gateholio
12-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Why did the firearms center tell me you legally did need to have them on hand?

Honest question

because they have never read the firearms Act.

12-20-2010, 01:07 PM
because they have never read the firearms Act.

I give up :confused: If the CFC cant tell you the law who can?
I guess i'll keep doing what i do and if someone fines me for something like this i'll just have to get a good lawyer.

skeld11
12-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Whats a co?Have not seen one for so long that I would not know what one looks like.I guess that they do not have very many here in tha Okanagan.
last time i heard there were three CO's in the okangan but the only time i have ever seen one was at bear creek how ever i was dirt bikin so did not need to talk with them

.330 Dakota
12-20-2010, 01:19 PM
I WAS stopped while hunting and asked to see hunting licenses and had them check my gun to see if it was loaded in the vehicle, thats it. For fun I asked if they wanted to see my Firearms licence and my registration and the reply was a flat out NO, and then they said enjoy your day, bye.

Squamch
12-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Not by a CO. I was asked for my firearms liscence at a road block by an RCMP officer once, when my bow was on the backseat, and I didn't have a PAL yet. It took awhile, but he eventually came to understand that a firearms liscence is for firearms, and a hunting liscence is for hunting.

eaglesnester
12-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Never been asked for it by the CO or cops. I never carry the registration with me. It's not an offense not to have the registration with you for non-restricted firearms. The worst they can do is take the gun away until you produce the registration, which in some situations is bad enough I suppose but I'll take my chances.Why would they take your weapon if you do not produce a reg.? All they have to do is get on the phone and check the registry.

Gateholio
12-20-2010, 01:29 PM
I guess i'll keep doing what i do and if someone fines me for something like this i'll just have to get a good lawyer.

There is LAW and there is POLICY

It isn't the LAW that you have to carry reg certs, or need to belong to a club to get a ATT but it's the policy that the CFC/CFO offices have laid out, so that is what they tell you.

There is nothing wrong with carrying your reg certs if you want to, but you can't be ticketed or jailed for not doing so. You can be asked to provide proof of registration, but that could come in the form of a registration certificate or the Peace Officer accessing the registry to confirm it. And yes, it's possible that they could seize your firearm until registration is confirmed, but the only way to truly confirm it is to access the registry, as the certificates are easily forged.

tristanmac
12-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Been stopped twice. And they both have told me that they didnt need to see my PAL or Registration. I do however carry both when ever hunting.

.330 Dakota
12-20-2010, 01:33 PM
i ALWAYS HAVE A COPY OF THE rcmp TRANSPORT AND STORAGE REGULATIONS IN MY TRUCK. tHAT WAY THEY CANT BULLSHIT ME IN ANY WAY. hAVENT HAD TO USE IT YET BUT i AM SURE THE DAY WILL COME

mungojeerie
12-20-2010, 01:37 PM
All they have to do is get on the phone and check the registry.

And who's to say how accurate that even is.

I personally know someone who sent in registration for 7 firearms and recieved back registration certs for only 4 of the 7.

I also know someone who purchased a firearm brand new from a sporting goods store and the registration is done at the time of purchase and sent in by the store, yet registration certs were never recieved for that firearm.

Though I guess when it would come down to it, even though you have done things properly to register, they would say it is your responsibility to ensure registration is completed and you should have followed up if not certs were recieved.

Sounds like there isint much to worry about if your not carrying registration when stopped by a CO, but that it may be another thing if stopped by RCMP.

Im surprised that BC hasnt followed in some other province's footsteps and paired 1 RCMP officer up with 1 CO at all times, helps ensure their safety and covers all areas of the law, which in turn is helpful to the lawful citizen as to avoid gettng stopped by an officer who isint fully clear themselves on the laws enforced by other agencies.

ryanb
12-20-2010, 01:39 PM
The amount of wrong answers given when anyone asks a legal question on any web forum should give ANYONE pause before believing what they read. Ultimately, if you want an accurate answer the only sure way is to read the law as it is written and hope you can understand what it says.

mungojeerie
12-20-2010, 01:41 PM
hope you can understand what it says

aint that the truth

Gateholio
12-20-2010, 01:41 PM
If you think you are lacking certificates, if your certificates have been destroyed or you think that you may still have firearms registered to you that you have sold, or you just feel lonely and want some mail, then call the CFC at 1800 731 4000 and ask for duplicates of all your registration certificates.

There is no charge for this.

ryanb
12-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Why would they take your weapon if you do not produce a reg.? All they have to do is get on the phone and check the registry.

Because they can.

BearStump
12-20-2010, 02:02 PM
And who's to say how accurate that even is.

I personally know someone who sent in registration for 7 firearms and recieved back registration certs for only 4 of the 7.

I also know someone who purchased a firearm brand new from a sporting goods store and the registration is done at the time of purchase and sent in by the store, yet registration certs were never recieved for that firearm.

Though I guess when it would come down to it, even though you have done things properly to register, they would say it is your responsibility to ensure registration is completed and you should have followed up if not certs were recieved.

Sounds like there isint much to worry about if your not carrying registration when stopped by a CO, but that it may be another thing if stopped by RCMP.

Im surprised that BC hasnt followed in some other province's footsteps and paired 1 RCMP officer up with 1 CO at all times, helps ensure their safety and covers all areas of the law, which in turn is helpful to the lawful citizen as to avoid gettng stopped by an officer who isint fully clear themselves on the laws enforced by other agencies.

Hey I after reading this post it made me think........when you get the reg. cert. in the mail, does it not say "you may now take possesion of said firearm" does that mean that technically you cannot leave the store with it. you must return to pick-up the firearm AFTER recieving the registration?

muledeercrazy
12-20-2010, 02:04 PM
No co in b.c. will ask you to produce your regy . They have elected to not enforce the federal position after b.c. lost its firearms officer.

They did ask me. At a big roadside check at Pine pass this november. I think the c.o. was doing it as a courtesy for the rcmp, and it was only a cursory check. He didnt compare numbers too closely or have them checked. he just asked to see them, checked all the guns, admired one of them, and then told the mounties we were good. I thought about it as a favour, id rather deal with a friendly co then a mountie as far as firearms go. The mounties were asking for reg certs. Good luck trying to tell them you dont need it. The least you would have had to deal with was a couple hours on the side of the highway in -20.

B.C. shares CFO with the Yukon, so i dont know what you mean about us not having a firearms officer. I understand the co's dont ask for reg certs, as i have only been asked once of many times as described above. I think if you gave them a good reason too, they would. That, or just turn you over to the mounties to deal with it.

Gateholio
12-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Hey I after reading this post it made me think........when you get the reg. cert. in the mail, does it not say "you may now take possesion of said firearm" does that mean that technically you cannot leave the store with it. you must return to pick-up the firearm AFTER recieving the registration?

Well actually, yes.

It's one more epic failure of the writers of the Firearms Act. They were too dumb to understand that it may take days or weeks for a certificate to show up.

And you aren't supposed to be in possession of a gun unless you can produce a registration certificate for it.

So I sell gun to Bearstump and call for transfer. The gun is transfered which nullifies my reg cert. But Bear Stump has no cert yet...So we have a gun with no record of registration.

So again they made "policy" and issued "TANs" Which is the Transfer Authorization Number and said "you can take the gun home with a TAN" een though it's technically illegal...
:mrgreen::-D

wolverine
12-20-2010, 02:49 PM
I carry laminated copies of my certs in my hunting wallet along with the PAL and Hunting License. I haven't been checked since 1990 so I don't know how they woulld respond to that. I think anyone that wouldn't accept the fact that the certs are laminated for a reason is either retaliating for dealing with a pissy attitude or is just a plain prick.

The Hermit
12-20-2010, 03:03 PM
I carry the firearms registration with my license and PAL... it is no hassle and IMO its a simple insurance against being hassled if ever running into a dick-head police or conservation officer.

tristanmac
12-20-2010, 05:32 PM

Every firearm I have purchased I have been giving a receipt which shows proof of purchase and proof of registration. They have told me to keep this until the actual registration comes in the mail. Thus being your registration until you receive your hard copy.

mike_b
12-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Just this last season, while packing my buck onto the nearest logging road, a CO drove by and stopped. We chatted for a good 30 minutes while I waiting for my dad to come back, and not once did he ask me for any ID; no licences, PAL, or regi forms. Was a friendly CO....... I do however carry my regi papers with me. They're photocopied and laminated and in my little book along with my tags.

Mike

BCBRAD
12-20-2010, 06:53 PM
If you think you are lacking certificates, if your certificates have been destroyed or you think that you may still have firearms registered to you that you have sold, or you just feel lonely and want some mail, then call the CFC at 1800 731 4000 and ask for duplicates of all your registration certificates.

There is no charge for this.

I asked for duplicates and they said no, I could get them if i had lost the originals. Also, the cops want to see the originals, the brownish ones registration. I only carry photocopies of the registration and if they don't like that they can whistle dixie or do some depraved sexual act, even though in violation of a law and yes I should immediately turn my self in, f**k it will fight stupidity in court, there is no cop that can for certainty verify authentisty of the registration document.

Xoxiliv
12-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Unauthorized possession of firearm (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fra/C-46/page-3.html#codese:91)
91. (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fra/C-46/page-3.html#codese:91) (1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5), every person commits an offence who possesses a firearm without being the holder of

(a) a licence under which the person may possess it; and

(b) a registration certificate for the firearm.

That is straight from the Criminal Code....and dealing with the seizure of such firearms:

Seizure on failure to produce authorization (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fra/C-46/page-3.html#codese:117_03)
117.03 (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fra/C-46/page-3.html#codese:117_03) (1) Notwithstanding section 117.02, a peace officer who finds

(a) a person in possession of a firearm who fails, on demand, to produce, for inspection by the peace officer, an authorization or a licence under which the person may lawfully possess the firearm and a registration certificate for the firearm, or

(b) a person in possession of a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any prohibited ammunition who fails, on demand, to produce, for inspection by the peace officer, an authorization or a licence under which the person may lawfully possess it,

may seize the firearm, prohibited weapon, restricted weapon, prohibited device or prohibited ammunition unless its possession by the person in the circumstances in which it is found is authorized by any provision of this Part, or the person is under the direct and immediate supervision of another person who may lawfully possess it.

Return of seized thing on production of authorization (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fra/C-46/page-3.html#codese:117_03-ss:_2_)
(2) Where a person from whom any thing is seized pursuant to subsection (1) claims the thing within fourteen days after the seizure and produces for inspection by the peace officer by whom it was seized, or any other peace officer having custody of it,

(a) an authorization or a licence under which the person is lawfully entitled to possess it, and

(b) in the case of a firearm, a registration certificate for the firearm,

the thing shall forthwith be returned to that person.

It makes is quite clear if you don't have your Firearms Licence and/or your Registration papers the firearm can be seized. After a 14 day wait period the peace officer can make application to have the firearm forfeited.

Gateholio
12-20-2010, 07:33 PM
I asked for duplicates and they said no, I could get them if i had lost the originals. Also, the cops want to see the originals, the brownish ones registration. I only carry photocopies of the registration and if they don't like that they can whistle dixie or do some depraved sexual act, even though in violation of a law and yes I should immediately turn my self in, f**k it will fight stupidity in court, there is no cop that can for certainty verify authentisty of the registration document.

I needed some duplicates because 2 or 3 I had in my HL wallet had turned to mush. So I called and said "my certificates got soaked and are mush" and they sent me pages and pages of replacements.

[
It makes is quite clear if you don't have your Firearms Licence and/or your Registration papers the firearm can be seized. After a 14 day wait period the peace officer can make application to have the firearm forfeited.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]

Yes, your firearms may be seized if they cannot determine evidence of registration. You can't be fined, ticketed or jailed for not carrying reg cert with you, though.

Canuck2
12-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatehouse http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=814790#post814790)
You aren't legally required to have them on hand, but you must prove they are registered if asked. .

That's what I have generally understood as well. However, a couple questions come to mind: Has the Conservative government not granted a series of registration amnesty periods, running from May-May and annually renewing them? If so, does that not mean that nonrestricted firearms currently do NOT need to be registered? Some good insight on this would help satisfy my curiosity.

Gateholio
12-20-2010, 09:18 PM
That's what I have generally understood as well. However, a couple questions come to mind: Has the Conservative government not granted a series of registration amnesty periods, running from May-May and annually renewing them? If so, does that not mean that nonrestricted firearms currently do NOT need to be registered? Some good insight on this would help satisfy my curiosity.

No, it means that you cannot be prosecuted for having unregistered non restricted firearms. They can still be seized until properly registered.

Canuck2
12-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks Gatehouse. That pretty much makes sense, especially in the context of how sec 117.03 (posted above) lays it out.

Gun Dog
12-20-2010, 11:05 PM
I guess i'll keep doing what i do and if someone fines me for something like this i'll just have to get a good lawyer.When I ask the CFC by e-mail -- about carrying the registration -- the "official" reply was WE DO NOT PROVIDE LEGAL ADVICE. Then the e-mail went on to suggest that I carry the original registration. It's the same with Canada Revenue Agency; all their opinions are non-binding so they can change their mind about your taxes whenever they want.

hunter1947
12-21-2010, 03:14 AM
In Courtnay on Vancouver island two years ago I was over at Blacktailstalkers home picking up my head mounts and antlers that he let me store there and I tank him from the bottom of my hart.

Anyways I had them all loaded and no room left in the back of my truck there where antlers and heads poking up every where.

On the way home when headed through town all of a sudden this police car going the wrong way puts his red and blue lights on and does a u turn and comes up behind me I pull over and seconds latter two more squad cars come flying up the road with there lights flashing.

The cops wanted to know where I got all the antlers and mounts I told them that these animals I had shot over my life time.

They wanted some prof that the antlers and head mounts where mine :confused: I said I don't have any prof only my word.

The cops all got together for a short talk came back to me and said ok your fine to go on this then one of the cops noticed I had a rifle that had come into sight.

The blanket I had to cover the one rifle in my front seat had slipped away a bit showing the rifle.

I had all the rest of my rifles in my gun case in the back of my pickup.

They made me move the antlers covering the gun case and show them all the rifles what a hassle :icon_frow.

The cops wanted to see my registration for all the guns lucky me I brought them from home and had all ,after I showed them my registration they said your good to go have a nice day ,I was a little shook up after this ordeal..

olharley guy
12-21-2010, 08:43 AM
In Courtnay on Vancouver island two years ago I was over at Blacktailstalkers home picking up my head mounts and antlers that he let me store there and I tank him from the bottom of my hart.

Anyways I had them all loaded and no room left in the back of my truck there where antlers and heads poking up ever where.

On the way home when headed through town all of a sudden this police car going the wrong way puts his red and blue lights on and does a u turn and comes up behind me I pull over and seconds latter two more squad cars come flying up the road with there lights flashing.

The cops wanted to know where I got all the antlers and mounts I told them that these animals I had shot over my life time.

They wanted some prof that the antlers and head mounts where mine :confused: I said I don't have any prof only my word.

The cops all got together for a short talk came back to me and said ok your fine to go on this then one of the cops noticed I had a rifle that had come into sight.

The blanket I had to cover the one rifle in my front seat had slipped away a bit showing the rifle.

I had all the rest of my rifles in my gun case in the back of my pickup.

They made me move the antlers covering the gun case and show them all the rifles what a hassle :icon_frow.

The cops wanted to see my registration for all the guns lucky me I brought them from home and had all ,after I showed them my registration they said your good to go have a nice day ,I was a little shook up after this ordeal..

Howdy, now this is a perfect example why a person should have the registrations available for inspection-whether originals or photocopies that can be matched up with any other paperwork-drivers licence,pal,vehicle registration etc. to show that you are the owner of the firearms.

At least this way it should prove to the authorities that you own the firearms and they are not stolen and you should have 99% chance of moving on and going about your business. Later

BradB
12-21-2010, 09:41 AM
When I worked with some CO's in Newfoundland about 8 years ago, I was told it was their policy that the registration program was a federal matter and they were not at all concerned about it and were not willing to enforce it. I was also told that this was the opinion of most of the provincial CO forces across the country. That was 8-9 years ago, but.......

Glassman
12-21-2010, 11:18 AM
I got stopped in Beaverdell last long week-end October by an rcmp dude doing a road check. In the truck were 2 adults and 3 juniors. 1 adult and 2 juniors had rifles. After the window was rolled down he wanted to know if I had been drinking. I said no. He then asked if there was any alcohol in the vehicle. I said no. He then noticed the rifles. I had to pull over off the road and then he demanded that everybody get out of the truck. He wanted to make sure that the rifles were not loaded. I was going to show him but he did not want me to get close to the truck. The bolt was opened and so he just stuck his finger in the chamber, but he had trouble in trying to figure out how to check the single shot. After working on it for a minute and having this dumbfounded and embarrassed look on his face, the 14 year old walked up to the truck, pulled out the rifle and did it for him. After that he just said "you can go". Never wanted to see ANY papers.

Island Redneck
12-21-2010, 11:43 AM
I thought the whole idea of this billion dollar firearms registry was to make it so the RCMP. could easily check to see who the registered owner of the firearm is. Supposidly the cop can make one radio call and instantly find out the registered owner of the gun, if it is registered.

A few more stupid laws, and a little more paperwork and a person will have to use a duffle bag to carry all the paperwork, just to go for an afternoon hunt.

bigwhiteys
12-21-2010, 11:54 AM
When I worked with some CO's in Newfoundland about 8 years ago, I was told it was their policy that the registration program was a federal matter and they were not at all concerned about it and were not willing to enforce it. I was also told that this was the opinion of most of the provincial CO forces across the country. That was 8-9 years ago, but.......

I had a CO tell me the exact same thing a few years ago after he stopped us coming out of bamfield. Someone had shot and killed a black bear, leaving it on the road. Didn't even skin or gut it... Just killed it.

He saw the guns in the truck and made sure they were unloaded and that was that! He said the reg cert was a federal issue and not of his concern.

Carl

mungojeerie
12-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Purchased a rifle from HBC's forum on Sunday, called the CFC today to complete the transfer of registration, also requested copies of all of my firearms reg certs. Very nice lady said no problem, you should receive them the same day you receive the papers for the new firearm.

Least now I will have duplicates. Gonna laminate them and lose them in my hunting wallet... then I will have no worries with the RCMP.

The whole push to keep the gun registration is coming from local law enforcement agencies. Vancouver police were quoted not long ago as saying they access the registry several times a day.

Personally I have nothing against registering my firearms but I may feel differently if a day ever comes where the RCMP attends my residence for some reason and come in treating me as potentially armed and dangerous just because they've noticed I own firearms.

I worked in S.E. Arizona for just under 5 months and while I was there 9-11 happened. I saw crazy things there. Guys in walmart purchasing oil filters for their trucks with cannons strapped to their legs, people eating burgers in Wendy's with semi autos on their hips. Signs on banks prohibiting firearms and a nice young couple folding laundry at the laundry mat on a Sunday morning each with a Glock and 6 extra mags (for what exactly Im not sure!).

One of the fellows I worked with said you just find it weird because your not allowed to have hand guns in Canada. I said noooo, I find it weird because it is AND we are allowed to have hand guns in Canada, plenty of people have them, we just aren't allowed to carry them around for no reason like you are. That's when the spittle started flying from his mouth as he angrily corrected me. "We aren't ALLOWED to carry guns! - IT'S OUR GOD GIVEN RIGHT!"

Gateholio
12-21-2010, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE=mungojeerie;815851]

The whole push to keep the gun registration is coming from local law enforcement agencies. Vancouver police were quoted not long ago as saying they access the registry several times a day.

Yeah, and thier "registry stats" are mostly BS. Every time they run a DL they get an automatic ping of the registry.

P
ersonally I have nothing against registering my firearms but I may feel differently if a day ever comes where the RCMP attends my residence for some reason and come in treating me as potentially armed and dangerous just because they've noticed I own firearms.

I would have nothing against registering my guns if there was any (and I mean ANY) valid data that demonstrated the gun registry actually saves lives. Instead, it's jsut a waste of time and money.

I worked in S.E. Arizona for just under 5 months and while I was there 9-11 happened. I saw crazy things there. Guys in walmart purchasing oil filters for their trucks with cannons strapped to their legs, people eating burgers in Wendy's with semi autos on their hips. Signs on banks prohibiting firearms and a nice young couple folding laundry at the laundry mat on a Sunday morning each with a Glock and 6 extra mags (for what exactly Im not sure!

One of the fellows I worked with said you just find it weird because your not allowed to have hand guns in Canada. I said noooo, I find it weird because it is AND we are allowed to have hand guns in Canada, plenty of people have them, we just aren't allowed to carry them around for no reason like you are. That's when the spittle started flying from his mouth as he angrily corrected me. "We aren't ALLOWED to carry guns! - IT'S OUR GOD GIVEN RIGHT!").

Great to see law abiding citizens out with their lawful property.

It sure would be nice if Canadians enjoyed the same freedoms as what you are describing.:-D

Instead, so many Canadians (including gun owners) have been brainwashed into believing that a law abiding citizen carrying a firearm is somehow a threat to public safety. It's a real shame that there are so many sheep in Canada.:icon_frow

Weatherby300
12-21-2010, 09:23 PM
CO can ask for your hunting license and check gun for being loaded or in short "Enforce the laws for hunting in BC". When the new laws came in the BC CO's said they would not enforce the laws if they did not have access to the database and the feds would not give it to them. The police can ask for firearms license and registration but I am not aware that you have to carry the registration for non restricted firearms.

I have two registration certificates for all my guns- one in my name and one in my wifes name???? Now thats effiecency with our tax dollars!:confused:

steelheadSABO
12-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Tell them "but I don't hunt with a firearm I use a bow" and see what they say

mungojeerie
12-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Though Im not opposed to registering my firearms, im in no under the belief that its a cost efficient system or that it will go a long way in saving lives. Typically crimes aren't committed with hunting firearms and those that are are typically crimes of passion, where the fact that a firearm is registered or not has no bearing on the person using to do do harm.

Im not quite sure I would support Canadians being able to carry restricted firearms in everyday situations, however I am under the belief that we should be able to carry restricted firearms for personal defense while in the bush from animals and people. I do plenty of outdoor activities like lepidoptera, fishing, hiking, camping, photography and general exploring and experiencing of our beautiful province and there are lots of times where I would have felt more comfortable with a firearm.

Wasn't a few years ago while collecting butterflies at the top of Pink Mountain we were approached by some locals who drove out to us in a remote location and were very drunk and both were armed with knives the size of swords. Both seemed suspicious and like trouble and almost tried to circle us.. we kept distance and each kept a good eye the one closest to use, and picked up items that could be used as for defense like an axe and a shovel :) Not sure if they had any ill intention but it sure seemed like it and we were happy to see them leave.

frenchbar
12-21-2010, 09:32 PM
i asked the local C.O last time i got stopped if he wanted to see it ...and he said no..just checked firearms and licences.

gibblewabble
12-21-2010, 09:36 PM
I carry LAMINATED COPIES and if they want to dig they can look it up on their computers, otherwise I am not going to take a chance with the originals.

elkdom
12-21-2010, 09:43 PM
some years back I was traveling Hwy97 north of Cache Creek, some moron was holding traffic back at about 70 klms an hour in a 100 zone, after about 8 or 10 klms I finally blew past the moron ,only to see it was a CO's truck, well he throws his little bitty red lite on his dash of his rusted out Gov't Ford pic-up, I pull over, he pulls in behind my parked truck and walks up to my drivers side door, he asks " can I see your drivers license"?, I said " are you a Cop"??, he answers "no"!, Im a Game warden" I said FO then!, if you were smarter, you WOULD be a COP and would be better paid! he WAS Pi$$ED by NOW, he said wait there, I am calling the police!, I said the "REAL POLICE"? so I waited about 10 minutes, up rolls a RCMP cruiser, the REAL cop walks up says whats the problem here?, the un-real cop(the Game Warden) says, this guy passed me goin too fast, the real cop (RCMP) asks, how fast were you goin? the GW(CO-un-real cop) says about 70kmh!, the RCMP says well, its 100 kmh all along here, the po'd CO( game warden) is LIVID! , the RCMP tells me to leave, go on my way! lmao :)

hunter1947
12-22-2010, 04:33 AM
Think of it this way what does it take to copy your original registration for the rifles you are carrying in your truck or other and keep them there at all times...