PDA

View Full Version : pigeon hunting

ea187
12-19-2010, 07:17 PM
does anyone know where some good pigeon hunting is located within an hour drive from vancouver?

Cariboo Game Calls
01-26-2011, 10:07 AM
I used to hunt a couple of very good spots in the Fraser Valley years ago, however when a couple of other spots in and around Poco got shut down the hoards migrated out to the valley and managed to get my areas closed as well. Trepassing on private property, shooting up, down and across the local roads where pigeons were flying didn't sit well with the local community or the police.

I have made a couple of attempts to locate birds recently and was given a tip by one of the conservation people, however this guy wasn't very positive about any significant bird populations. Give them a try though, you might get lucky enough to find a spot, but don't broadcast it unless you want a pile of company.

Fishgutz
01-26-2011, 10:39 AM
I wonder if there are any farmers out there that might have a pigeon, crow or squirrel problem? I'd love to go out a practice my aim and stalking skills.

Cariboo Game Calls
01-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Here's something for you to try if you want to get some shooting in on live birds. When I lived down in the Fraser Valley I used to spend quite a bit of time each year shooting starlings in the blueberries fields. They are good sport and on any given day if you hit it right you can kill 50-75 plus birds all by yourself taking singles, doubles and the odd triple.

If you take the time and go talk to the berry farmers, explain that you would like to shoot the birds that eating up their profits, many of them will welcome you. You can't be shooting the fields when pickers are in them and they don't like the dead birds or the smell of decaying carcasses. You also need to avoid dropping too many shotgun pellets on the ripening berries because it can damage them as I found out from one of the farmers.

By setting up in the berry field so that most shots are on incoming birds you can drop many birds outside the area or close enough inside to be able to pick them up and get rid of them. If you can find a berry field and corn field side by side you can really get some great shooting at times because the starlings do seem to like the corn tops.

Fishgutz
01-26-2011, 01:53 PM
I would be useing my Sheridan 20 CAL pellet gun.

Cariboo Game Calls
01-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Pellet guns are a whole different ball game, I was thinking you were a shotgunner. I'm sure the farmers barn for pigeons, and/or finding where crows or starlings tend to roost would a better bet for that type of shooting.

ea187
01-31-2011, 10:20 PM
i would be using a .22 cal airgun or a ruger sr22