PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat, Lynx hunting

Seabass
12-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Got some in the area and have spotted a few here and there. Could have blasted them but I don't regard them the same as a wolf, Cougar, Coyote, ie a pest. They look pretty neat and you don't see them everywhere like coyotes. Does anyone hunt them? What do you do with them? Might save a hare or rabbit's life I guess? A suppose a full mount would look cool?

BlacktailStalker
12-19-2010, 02:30 PM
You just cant "blast them" without a tag.

KB90
12-19-2010, 03:26 PM
You should Go buy the 8 dollar tag :)

Then if they are open in your area you can hunt them. It's a lot of fun, use a rabbit distress just like you would with a coyote.

I hope to get out this x-mas break. My first one last year I had made into a rug. This year if I get one I will just tan the hide and hang it on the wall.

p.s. it also some of the most amazing and soft fur you can touch.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/lynx_2.jpg

tomcat
12-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Bobcat and lynx are furbearers as well as small game. Their pelts are worth considerable dollars and and should not be wasted.

SHAKER
12-19-2010, 03:46 PM
I didn't want to reply to this but our cats are not pests.... those rotten supossed house versions who kill little birds for fun are pests! B.C.'s cats are something that you'd have great respect for if you ever actually hunted them.:evil:

savagecanuck
12-19-2010, 04:10 PM
I rarely see them in the Okanagan and would never consider shooting them either.There is plenty of other yotes to shoot at.I usually only see them up high while snowmobiling in the dead of winter.They are a beautifull animal

Seabass
12-19-2010, 05:06 PM
I didn't want to reply to this but our cats are not pests.... those rotten supossed house versions who kill little birds for fun are pests! B.C.'s cats are something that you'd have great respect for if you ever actually hunted them.:evil:

What are you talking about? Never mind, I don't care.:wink: Why the evil ? Don't bother, don't care either...

Seabass
12-19-2010, 05:10 PM
You just cant "blast them" without a tag.

Thanks, all this time I thought....:rolleyes:

Seabass
12-19-2010, 05:25 PM
I really just wanted to know what guys did with them, hide, mount, depredation etc.

Thanks for those who responded with positive input. I appreciate your thoughts. Great pic KB90 and good info there Tomcat.

For the record, I've never shot anything that didn't legally require a tag.

I wouldn't shoot anything if I wasn't going to use it and have it go to waste.

islandhunter
12-19-2010, 05:30 PM
There's plenty of cats out there, I see tracks all over on my snowmobile. We just dont see them as much as coyotes. Get out there and hunt them!!

Camp Cook
12-19-2010, 05:52 PM
I was at the fort in Fort Langley earlier this year they had bobcat hides in one of the building they were amazing to touch.

Over the years I have seen many bobcat/lynx but I have never shot one actually up until this year I have never even bought a tag.

I have now purchased both bobcat and lynx tags for this year and plan on targeting bobcats near the valley and lynx if I get a chance to get up north...

I plan on having the hide tanned and hang it like they did at the fort.

SHAKER
12-19-2010, 06:40 PM
What are you talking about? Never mind, I don't care.:wink: Why the evil ? Don't bother, don't care either...

Your original post sounds like you don't think much of them... comparing a cat to yote and call'n them a pest is pretty offensive to a cat hunter. Your choice of wording might have been the problem...... If you were interested in what to do with them... cook'em up! Cougar meat is exellent table fare, I've only had bobcat once and the flavor was good but was horribly tough (might have been how old the bugger was) make for wonderful pelts hang on the wall or mount them up with the creativity of the taxidermist being the limit! Sorry for being a little pissed about your first post but they do deserve some respect regardless how you harvest one!

tomcat
12-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Hey Seabass I suppose your a deer hunter? Try deer recycled thru a cougar, you will probably gain respect for them as an edible game animal.

Seabass
12-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Your original post sounds like you don't think much of them... comparing a cat to yote and call'n them a pest is pretty offensive to a cat hunter. Your choice of wording might have been the problem...... If you were interested in what to do with them... cook'em up! Cougar meat is exellent table fare, I've only had bobcat once and the flavor was good but was horribly tough (might have been how old the bugger was) make for wonderful pelts hang on the wall or mount them up with the creativity of the taxidermist being the limit! Sorry for being a little pissed about your first post but they do deserve some respect regardless how you harvest one!

You bet, could have been the wording, can't quite convey thoughts like you can in person, sometimes meanings are lost. If I do get one I'll certainly try cooking it up, and a pelt or mount sounds like a good way to cover up some drywall. I just didn't know what people who hunt them do with them and was looking for advice. Didn't mean to be rude in my last post either, sorry about that. I have hunted Cougars before and I know the great deal of time and expense it takes to harvest such a critter.

Cheers

Seabass

Seabass
12-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Hey Seabass I suppose your a deer hunter? Try deer recycled thru a cougar, you will probably gain respect for them as an edible game animal.

A deer hunter among other things, (most BC game) thanks for the info Tomcat. Appreciate your advice.

Cheers

Seabass

SHAKER
12-23-2010, 02:32 PM
You bet, could have been the wording, can't quite convey thoughts like you can in person, sometimes meanings are lost. If I do get one I'll certainly try cooking it up, and a pelt or mount sounds like a good way to cover up some drywall. I just didn't know what people who hunt them do with them and was looking for advice. Didn't mean to be rude in my last post either, sorry about that. I have hunted Cougars before and I know the great deal of time and expense it takes to harvest such a critter.

Cheers

Seabass

No worries......... Cat hunt'n a great way to pass away the winter days without sitt'n on the couch or a bucket on the lake. Bring a predator call with and maybe wack a yote or 2 while your out there... Winter pelts make exellent wall hangs and who know who might come into your call when your set up for a yote! or involved with a hound guy and you might be totally adicted like I am, it's just too much fun.