PDA

View Full Version : Hunting late on the fraser

white moose
12-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Did anybody take there boat up the mighty fraser in the end of nov for big mulies? I wanted to make it, but was too busy. a buddy of mine said ice may be coming down river. You ever see this?

mark
12-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Did anybody take there boat up the mighty fraser in the end of nov for big mulies? I wanted to make it, but was too busy. a buddy of mine said ice may be coming down river. You ever see this?

I havnt for a few years now, but in the past, Ive gone there in the late season and found major ice flows coming down river! We had a major cold snap during mid november this year, must have been some ice in there!

Deadshot
12-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Tons of ice this year.

blackbart
12-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Slurpy would be the most accurate description that I can think of this year. Some years are better, but don't count on it.

Gilmore
12-20-2010, 08:51 AM
We hunted at the Big Bar ferry from Dec 5-10th, a little later than your query but there was alot of ice flowing and alot of pack ice. In some spots the pack ice looked to be 5 or 6 feet thick and went right across the river.

white moose
12-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Sounds tough to boat. Did you have any luck up there? I hunted 3 29. Saw lots of deer, but no biggies. Planning on hunting fraser with boat next year, probably nov1 around frenchbar creek.

dino
12-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Sounds tough to boat. Did you have any luck up there? I hunted 3 29. Saw lots of deer, but no biggies. Planning on hunting fraser with boat next year, probably nov1 around frenchbar creek.
I will be there on the river too hopefully next year. Your going to see more and more guys jetting the river in the next couple of years. It may not be back to being great but there will be some bigger deer in there for the more serious hunters by foot or on water in the later part of that season. The weather there can push out even the toughest hunter though. when it gets to around -30 its a ghost town in there I dont care how good the hunting gets.

Gilmore
12-20-2010, 06:27 PM
The weather there can push out even the toughest hunter though. when it gets to around -30 its a ghost town in there I dont care how good the hunting gets.

You've never been in our camp then!! I have a picture somewhere of my truck about 6 years ago covered with a tarp, the stove pipe out of the wall tent running underneath it with the tiger torch blowing hot air up the pipe. It was -38 and the deer never quit moving, you either hiked or froze. A guy in our group shot a 30" buck that same morning right above the ferry. And I can tell you one more thing, at -38 your boat won't be in the water on the mighty Fraser unless of course it has skis!!

CanuckShooter
12-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Sounds sweet, stove pipe heat......i've seen ice on the Fraser in mid october with -25c....

Iltasyuko
12-20-2010, 10:09 PM
A couple photos of November ice conditions which are not unusual and often much heavier than these pics show.

http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/g321/wca3006/?action=view&current=Fraserice2.jpg

http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/g321/wca3006/?action=view&current=Fraserice2.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F% 2Fs1096.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fg321%2Fwca3006% 2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DFraserice2.jpg

dino
12-20-2010, 10:32 PM
You've never been in our camp then!! I have a picture somewhere of my truck about 6 years ago covered with a tarp, the stove pipe out of the wall tent running underneath it with the tiger torch blowing hot air up the pipe. It was -38 and the deer never quit moving, you either hiked or froze. A guy in our group shot a 30" buck that same morning right above the ferry. And I can tell you one more thing, at -38 your boat won't be in the water on the mighty Fraser unless of course it has skis!!

My hats off to you gilmore. The coldest I was there in was -30 and everyone got out of dodge. In the area I was in was the draws below flatop down to the churn. The river was a no go and my gun was so cold that when I pulled the trigger on a small deer the gun did nothing, the trigger was frozen and would not fire. My diesel would not turn over, the generator chord broke, my samurai had to be push started. We were the last to leave. The hunting was great I even have some video somewhere but you have to know when its time to quit. Next time I go I will have a backup gen set and more propane to keep the food and beer from freezing.

Stresd
12-21-2010, 08:32 AM
End of Sept a few years ago. From the Gang bridge looking N.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g86/Stresd/Gangranchbridge-1.jpg