PDA

View Full Version : Reds with Wild game??

moosinaround
12-19-2010, 08:33 AM
So, what wine do you compliment your wild game with?? I have tried a few but am partial to an Argentinian Malbec right now! Let me know, I have a freezer full of organic wild game, and it is time to try some new wines! Moosin

M.Dean
12-19-2010, 09:16 AM
After I spend the entire day gently basting and caring for a succulent White Tail roast, cooked with onion and Garlic, I serve it with heated Plates, Roasted Potato, lightly browned, fresh Crescent rolls right from the oven, and a fresh vegetable Salad! I complement the Meal with Chilled glasses full of fresh Spring Water!!! The last thing I want is some Wine Drunk eating with his hands, trying to grope every women at the table then passing out in his plate, face first! Soooooo, I find the Spring Water perfect to Complement my Efforts!!!:smile:

moosinaround
12-19-2010, 09:29 AM
Sounds good M. Dean! I did a roast off of my 2010 whitetail similarily, and it was good! I may try a roast and cook it in wine with veggies, and then make a gravy or AU jus for the meat. The booze is steamed out of the food, but the flavour remains. Nice color and wonderful taste! Moosin

Bowzone_Mikey
12-19-2010, 06:44 PM
I like "Fat B a s ta rd" merlot(US I think) as well as Sonora Ranch(BC) merlot

I am partial to Merlots with red meat .. But a good Shiraz or Syrah is also pretty good .. and I like all the Fat Bast**d wines

If you really wanna send someone over the top with your wine choice to compliment a Venisen roast I would suggest you try "Brothers in Arms #6" Syrah ... from Austrialia ... a bit expensive but well worth it if you can find it.

The Dawg
12-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Yellow Tail Shiraz.....

huntergirl270
12-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Pomegranate Wild-berry Zinfandel here... deep rose color and nice depth of flavor that compliments our game meals. Made it at the local wine place. When I run out I turn to Merlot.

SUAFOYT
12-19-2010, 07:08 PM
We just tried a new red called Stag's Hollow Simply Noir. Real smooth. Great for sipping while the steaks are on the barby and good with a roast as well.

Gateholio
12-19-2010, 07:20 PM
I try to support local (BC) wineries as much as possible. I like Merlot with venison. I won't support the anti hunting agenda of Yellowtail wines so never buy their wine....

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=46285&highlight=yellowtail

d6dan
12-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Beer! :mrgreen::mrgreen:.....

d6dan
12-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Yellow Tail Shiraz.....

Isn't that PETA wine?..

Ogopogo
12-19-2010, 07:37 PM
I usually buy old style pilsner, but if I do buy wine I always make sure its a local wine in B.C. because I like to help my province and my Countries economy, I even try and buy other products which are MADE IN CANADA, but obvisouly this sometimes if difficult. Ex. I will go to Crappy tire first to see if its there before I go to Wally's world.

yukon john
12-19-2010, 07:55 PM
mmmm..... 03 iniskillen (oliver) red zifindel, 1884 winery (argentina?) syrah or malbec

c.r.hunter
12-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Hard to beat good blackberry wine. If you don't make your own, there's some really good BC blackberry wines out there. Kermode is one that I really like. Otherwise a decent shiraz or merlot would be my choice.

David Heitsman
12-21-2010, 01:07 AM
Hey Moosinaround,

I was served an Argentinian Malbec with moose this meat this year in deer camp. It was a 09 Finco Los Primos. I enjoyed it and have bought some since.

GoatGuy
12-21-2010, 04:06 AM
I try to support local (BC) wineries as much as possible. I like Merlot with venison. I won't support the anti hunting agenda of Yellowtail wines so never buy their wine....

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=46285&highlight=yellowtail

Problem is BC doesn't have a lot of great reds and what is good is usually far more expensive than comparable wines from other regions. Red Rooster had a good Merlot in 2004 (iirc), Mission Hill's Occulus was decent, Inniskillin has produced decent stuff over the years. Black Hills and Burrowing Owl have produced some great full bodied reds, but usually the Argentinian wines produce the best value.

Fincha Flichman has been consistently good, we've been drinking it for years and for $10-12/bottle it's a heck of a good deal.

Finca Los Primos, as mentioned above, is also good.

Yellowtail has been mentioned which is no surprise - not sure about now but the shiraz used to be the most popular red sold in BC.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-21-2010, 04:46 AM
Problem is BC doesn't have a lot of great reds and what is good is usually far more expensive than comparable wines from other regions. Red Rooster had a good Merlot in 2004 (iirc), Mission Hill's Occulus was decent, Inniskillin has produced decent stuff over the years. Black Hills and Burrowing Owl have produced some great full bodied reds, but usually the Argentinian wines produce the best value.

Yellowtail has been mentioned which is no surprise - not sure about now but the shiraz used to be the most popular red sold in BC.

Geez....I have to get a job like you where I can afford to drink wines like the ones you've mentioned above:?.

Drink Yellowtail if you like sugar added to your red wine and like to support anti-hunting organizations:?

SSS

saskbooknut
12-21-2010, 05:50 AM
Did WT venison shanks last night - 4 1/2 hours at 275 deg. with oregano, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf - potatoes and carrots cooked in the broth for the last hour.
Tried "The Wolftrap" 2009 with it. Two thumbs up.
Syrah, Mourvedre, Viognier blend from the Western Cape, South Africa.
This is a French style blend - Hugenot settled area in SA.
$12.55 in the Saskatoon liquor store, but available in B.C. and Alberta too apparently.

Glenny
12-21-2010, 07:04 AM
Smoking Loon, Shiraz USA

Peters Wildlife
12-21-2010, 08:09 AM
When it comes to Moose roast, I put the roast in a xlg zip-lock bag, dump in a pack of onion soup mix, 2 cups of red wine, a pile of crushed garlic, marinate over night, into the oven with fresh rosemary on top with 2 strips of bacon....when half done " EAT THE BACON" put in fresh mushrooms. Makes amazing gravy.
The wine, I like a peppery red.

GoatGuy
12-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Geez....I have to get a job like you where I can afford to drink wines like the ones you've mentioned above:?.

Drink Yellowtail if you like sugar added to your red wine and like to support anti-hunting organizations:?

SSS

The was my old job, now I drink budweiser. :mrgreen:

You're right, popularity doesn't necessarily mean good. :wink:

12-21-2010, 02:15 PM
I find Richards red goes good with moose.
Just about any Ale, I pick the heavier Ales to match the bold flavor of the BBQ sauce.

bforce750
12-21-2010, 02:30 PM
I am all about supporting local wineries...but I've become a Carlo Rossi California Red fan lately. Or when I do a an elk tenderloin in a port reduction sauce , a generous glass of Taylor Fladgate is nice. Copper Moon for a Shiraz is a great choice if your into it....cheers

Skull Hunter
12-24-2010, 09:23 AM
I have 3 reds that are my go to wines because they are reasonably priced and tend to be quite versatile with their food pairings. Trivento Malbec, and a couple of South African wines, Roberts Rock Cab, Sauv/Merlot blend and Goats do Roam, blend of some sort but don't remember off the top of my head. Give them a try if you can find them you wont be disappointed.

dryflyguy57
12-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Johnny Q shiraz . Australian wine .

HIGHRPM
12-24-2010, 08:40 PM
A great bottle of Malbec, great with any red meat. :-D