PDA

View Full Version : books on dogs... which one to get

blackford
12-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Hey.

so i have decided that right now is not the time for me and my family to get a dog. I have 2 young little girls right now and i figure its not the right time...

But i want to make sure all the research is done. I am looking at getting a Lab to be a family dog and a hunting dog. Can anyone suggest any books to pick up to read

thanks

Devilbear
12-19-2010, 09:17 AM
There are a LOT of good dog books out there, but, the two I suggest to new dog owners are:

The Art Of Raising A Puppy

How To Be Your Dog's Best Friend

Both by "The Monks Of New Skete" and published by Little, Brown.

Any boofstore can order these, Chapters often has them in stock and BOTH of them are well worth buying and using and keeping for future reference.

I often get comments from strangers as to how well behaved and obedient my dogs are and these books teach methods very much akin to what I have learned and done in the 54 years I have had purebred dogs. I would add that I have had Labs and a good, well trained one is an ideal family pet and a damm good mountain companion.

Spot, my Lab, probably swam in more remote, alpine lakes in the Kootenays than any other dog and also loved to dive off the bow of my late father's boat in the middle of Kootenay Lake. He would sleep on snow when backpacking with us and would catch his own Trout and eat them, thereby reducing MY take home as I included them in my limit.

I am a hardcore Rottweiler man and always will be, but, I love Labs and always will.

blackford
12-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the recommendation.

At first I was afraid that if I would get a lab it would destroy the house.

But I read a few boards an an really interested in them know. Great for hunting and also as a family dog.

Again I am not getting one for a long time but want to have done my due diligence.

fozzy
12-20-2010, 12:07 AM
Cesar Milan has many books that are worth reading as well. Lots of valuable info in them :)
Our newest pup is night and day different than our last two thanks to Cesar's way of picking and raising dogs.
http://www.cesarsway.com/products/1

Iron Glove
12-20-2010, 12:20 PM
As "dumb" as it sounds, good introductory books are "Puppies for Dummies" and "Dogs for Dummies". Simple, easy to read and full of basic info.
Another suggestion is to talk to a trusted Vet, they can offer suggestions, tips, breed recommendations, etc. When we went looking, our Daughter was a Vet Assistant and she, and her Vet boss were invaluable with suggestions and assistance. Sometimes getting the info from "the horses mouth" is quite different than what you get from a breeder, owner, or a book.
Your suggestion of a Lab is in my humble opinion, the absolute best all round choice of dog, and we don't even have one !!
Good luck and have fun.

blackford
12-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks guys. This is awesome. Another reason why I love this forum!

RustyNail
12-20-2010, 04:31 PM
There are a couple of Magazines out there that are interesting read. One is the Retreiver Journal or something along that line and the other is Gun Dog Magazine. They are American but they may give you some ideas to consider when it comes time to selecting/purchasing your dog. A different point of view to consider. Both mags have websites. Monks of New Skete books are also available on DVD.

Ozone
12-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Not sure were you are, but the Vancouver Island Regional Library system has a few of the New Skete books.

I also will be getting a new lab in the spring:-D

Retrievers
12-22-2010, 09:29 AM
If your wanting to train your dog for hunting the best book in my opionion is Tri-Tronics Retriever Training by Jim and Phylis Dobbs. You can buy it online. Go to Dobbs Training Center. You can buy it there or you can purchase one from me. Linda Cline in Kamloops.

solanderdog
12-23-2010, 07:06 AM
I liked "Tom Dokken's Retriever Training: The Complete Guide to Developing Your Hunting Dog." (http://amzn.to/fWVqUw) Also, "Training Your Labrador Retriever" (http://amzn.to/ernOnP) by September Morn (odd name) was the first book I bought and we got a lot out of it.

mstewart
12-23-2010, 08:03 AM
I bought both Gun Dog and Water Dog by Richard WOLTERS. I got them used off Amazon. They're kind of old style but they worked for me.

Kody94
12-23-2010, 09:26 AM
I bought both Gun Dog and Water Dog by Richard WOLTERS. I got them used off Amazon. They're kind of old style but they worked for me.

I got both of those when I got my lab in 1994...fantastic books, and a very effective training method.

I also utilized James Lamb Free's book, but am not as big a fan of his philosophies/methods.

bopper
12-31-2010, 04:14 PM
I would strongly suggest that you read Cesar Millan's book 'Cesar's Way'. It is excellent, and will help to get you off to a good start.
On the other hand, I would really advise you to avoid the Richard Wolters books.......in my 50 years as a professional trainer, I can say that I have seen more dogs messed up by people following Wolters methods than anything else I have read or seen.
Bopper

sako7mm
12-31-2010, 05:56 PM
I'm just working my way through a couple of Ceaser's books right now and watching a few of his shows on Nat. Geographic channel. I'm learning a lot on the training bit and its amazing how quick my pup is learning, next to work on the retreiver bit....

fuzzy
01-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Just out of curiosity does anyone have experience with "The Koehler Method of Dog Training". I picked it up at a used book store today for a couple of bucks.

fuzzy

Devilbear
01-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Yes, I started using his methods in the late '70s and have had a few of his books; my Rottweilers loved to chew my copies of Bill Koehler's books to bits. Wonder why? :)

His comparatively harsh methods WORK, but, are too harsh for many dogs, IMO, however, some judicious application of them is very worthwhile on large, young, tough dogs, such as Rottweilers. I still use some leash techniques and other approaches he taught and ignore his "throw chain" advice and also do not "spank" as it just does not work and makes me feel like crap.

I probably mentioned and just got off the phone with her, Debbie Cornell-Charneski of Mission, who is about the most knowledgeable trainer I have yet met and she can deal effectively with problem dogs, as well as breeding absolutely stunning Rottweilers. PS: Hope "Grizz" is doing well, he's a lovely boy!

DeerBelly
01-20-2011, 11:21 PM
It's like any hobby a person becomes interested in.The more info.,the better.In a quick count,I can see 15 dog training books on my shelf not to mention the half dozen videos and stacks of magazines I've saved because of a training article I liked..I refer to these books alot.They all contain at least 1 helpful piece of advice and offer different opinions on dog training.Some methods work better for certain dogs and I have developed alot of my own methods over the years,even incorporating bird training methods from falconry books into my dog training.Cesar Millan has some good ideas.The first book I got and used to train my first dog was "Gun Dog" Revolutionary Rapid Training Method by Richard.A Wolters.It was written in 1961.It worked fine for me when I trained my first German Wirehair Pointer pup but only took me so far ..Wolters has a pile of these books."Family Dog","Water Dog" "Game Dog".He loved Labs and many a Lab owner swear by Water Dog.So start reading and learning all you can.Don't limit yourself to one trainers ideas.