PDA

View Full Version : ATV's Forestry Roads & Liabilty Insurance

Radar
06-11-2006, 01:27 PM
It is my understanding that you must have Liabilty Insurance on your ATV before you ride on a Forestry Service Road (FSR). I have been told that recently the RCMP have been out in force checking the FSR's here near the Lower Mainland for ATV riders without such insurance. I'm not sure of the fine but it could be around $500 similar to on paved roads.

Until recently the insurance companies that sold the liabilty insurance would not sell it t you unless you belonged to one of the ATV clubs (which I think was a crock) that has now changed and you can buy Liabilty Insurance for your ATV from at least one insurance company. I'm going to post the link to that insurance company ( www.capri.ca (http://www.capri.ca) ) and if I shouldn't be doing that and it gets removed PM me and I'll be happy to give you the link etc. You can buy the insurance online and print your insurance documents right there and then. For coverage from today up until Dec 31, 2006 it would cost you $95.00. Which I am sure i way cheaper than the ticket you could get. Another link which will save you having to click to find the ATV liabilty insurance is https://secure2.shadowfax.bc.ca/capri/atv/ClubSignup/

Hope this helps you and saves members having to join the ATV club if they only want Liabilty Insurance for FSR's.

Gateholio
06-11-2006, 03:04 PM
I believe (And correct me if I am wrong) that the insurance from the BCWF wi cover ATV liabiity, as ong as the atv is used in a lawful manner.

sealevel
06-11-2006, 03:13 PM
last summer my daugter and her couson were riding on a logging road by lumby see was a bcwf member he was not he got a fine she did not.

Radar
06-11-2006, 05:36 PM
I have sent an email to BCWF to confirm if their Liability Insurance does cover us using ATV's on FSR's and will advise when I hear back, from t two previous posts it seems it may well do!

lapadat
06-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Forest Service Road Use Regulation (BC Reg 70/2004)
Section 12 (1) Fine: $345.

Liability insurance

12 (1) A person must not operate or cause to be operated a motor vehicle or trailer, other than a motor vehicle or trailer described by section 2 (5) of the Motor Vehicle Act, on a forest service road unless

(a) the driver, motor vehicle and trailer are insured under a valid and subsisting contract of accident insurance providing insurance against liability to third parties in the amount of at least $200 000, and
(b) the driver carries written evidence, supplied by the insurer, of the insurance referred to in paragraph (a), or a copy of that written evidence, and produces it, on demand, to a peace officer or an official.

http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/F/ForRangPrac/70_2004.htm

The law has spoken. However, we are fortunate enough to have RCMP, CO's, Rangers with the ability to use discretion when enforcing such laws. We should be glad it hasn't become mandatory YET........

lap

Fred
06-11-2006, 09:12 PM
official.

The law has spoken. However, we are fortunate enough to have RCMP, CO's, Rangers with the ability to use discretion when enforcing such laws. We should be glad it hasn't become mandatory YET........
lap

Yeah, Right! So far that discretion seems to be trending towards writing up everyone they come across. :???: Fred

Radar
06-19-2006, 03:38 PM
I got this from BCWF regarding thier liabilty insurance:

Does this policy cover the use of an ATV?

This policy extends to cover off road liability, for ATV’s that are not licensed or required to be licensed by ICBC on non-public roads. It is the responsibility of the member to ensure that the road used for ATV driving is non-public. The member should contact the local motor vehicle or the forestry service in the area of riding to obtain confirmation of this. Also, the coverage is only for the legal owner of the ATV, the coverage is excluded if the ATV is loaned or rented to others and it is excluded for general joy riding.

BCLongshot
06-19-2006, 03:40 PM
You know I think a painted line down the middle of the road is too much goverment.

nykoma
06-19-2006, 04:15 PM
so how does go for fsr roads that have been watered barred or disactivated. this is about the only time use the atv and i do not have bcwf.?

ruger#1
06-19-2006, 06:42 PM
what is defined as a public road, i was told any road with a speed limit or any road a two wheel vehical can drive on, well ive seen some volkswagon beetles in spots that i had to be in four wheel drive in to get there.

sealevel
06-19-2006, 07:07 PM
most forest service roads are not public roads. They are roads belonging to bc forest service but are maintained by who ever has the rights to the timber witch makes them private kind of. You need liabilty insurence to drive on these roads but you don`t need to licence your vehicule. Now the mainland is defferent then the island. The best people to talk to is a forest company.

lapadat
06-19-2006, 07:46 PM
Fred,

Are you surprised that you would get a ticket for breaking the law?

Lap

Walksalot
06-19-2006, 08:05 PM
If you ride on a logging road and have an accident wheter it was your fault or not are you might be in big trouble because legally, you have no right to be there unless you have autorization.

Fred
06-19-2006, 11:39 PM
Fred,

Are you surprised that you would get a ticket for breaking the law?

Lap

Who said anything about breaking the law? These officers are supposed to have some discretionary powers but in many cases they don't use them, they just start writing up more tax grabbing tickets. Fred

lapadat
06-20-2006, 08:43 AM
If you ride an ATV on a FSR without insurance you are in violation of provincial legislation. It can't really get any simpler than that.

Therefore, an enforcement officer has every right to issue you a ticket. The fact that not every ATV'er in the bush recieves a ticket every time a CO or RCMP talks with them is called discretion.

Sounds like your impression of our law enforcement officers has been tainted and therefore biased by the issuance of a ticket with your name on it.

Lap

sealevel
06-20-2006, 09:24 AM
For the rcmp to issue a ticket on a forest service road i think they would need to have a complaint from the company who services the road. Do i need insurance to drive my skidder on a tolko road no ! do i need insurance to ride my quad on a tolko road no ! can the rcmp give me a ticket for driveing my fuel truck on a tolko road with out a licence or insurance no ! Its in my best interrest to have liability insurance but it is not demanded. Take seymour arm on shuswap lake its a very small community people live there hollidayers flock in there in the summer. Are the roads in there public NO. they are maintained by forest companies they are private so your bcwf insurance on most interior logging roads is enough.

Fred
06-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Oh yeah, it is biased and tainted alright but not by the issuance of a ticket and I don't even have an ATV, although I could use one. And if I did have one it Would have insurance just because it is a good idea. Fred

coaster
06-21-2006, 09:51 AM
From what I gather from Radars post , BCWF ins. is not valid if you are joy riding.

Radar
06-21-2006, 05:55 PM
I think anyone out for a ride looking at the birds and wild life that are abundant in our beautiful province will be covered based on the wording. It is just joy riding that isn't covered.:wink: