PDA

View Full Version : Dont steel my quad

dino
12-18-2010, 12:44 PM
This year I had parked my quad on the side of a secluded road and started to hike into one of my spots and while I was sitting I heard my quad alarm go off so I hitailed it back into an opening only to see a truck quickly take off from where my quad was sitting. I dont know for sure but are there guys out there that are looking to steel quads by loading them into a pick up even when they know there is a hunter carring a rifle possibly near by. I from vancouver so I am not naive about theft but I was in a place where I rarely see another vehicle.

killman
12-18-2010, 12:59 PM
You have Yamaha they probably thought it was broke down and you where walking out. Where going to haul it to the dump for you, don't want to litter the forest with scrap! ;)

M.Dean
12-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Set the Alarm and winch it to a tree, yes they can still cut the cable at the back of the tree, but not every thief carry's a axe or rechargeable grinder. Also, what can happen, and God Forbid if it did, but watch when your running back to your Quad when you hear the Alarm and you trip and fall, discharging your firearm, striking the Thieving Pri** in the center of his chest, creating a gaping hole and a Fatal chest wound!!! If this unfortunate accident happened on a regular basis bet the Quad thief's would lessen!!!

Ron.C
12-18-2010, 01:08 PM
only to see a truck quickly take off from where my quad was sitting.

Did you get a look at the truck? make/model/colour??

Two years back i returned to my truck to see a guy jump out from inside the box and hop on dirtbike and take off. He had what looked like to me a 30/30 over his back. I reported it to the local RCMP and they were very concerned. And it wasn't the first report about a guy matching the description/situation

a. I was armed

b. so was he
potentially dangerous situation the RCMP love to hear about

But be warned boys, no court in the land will show you one bit of symathy for shooting at a theif.

laredo318
12-18-2010, 01:17 PM
"But be warned boys, no court in the land will show you one bit of symathy for shooting at a theif."

S, S, S.

Caveman
12-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Unless he's stealing your "Family Jewels"

roping_tom
12-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Granted the law has no mercy for muredering thieves....damn, but shooting holes in his truck could be accidental?

highcountry88
12-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Good post Dino.... This opened my eyes... I will be more careful where I hide my old King Quad (the ignition key is gone- I start it with a knife or coin). Any of you guys have any other ideas on how to keep our quads safe fro
thieves in camp, on the truck or at home? I would like some input- I am sorta low tech... The only thing I do is remove a wheel when it is stored in the garage.....aside from a big ol' dog and a gated farmyard...

Sleep Robber
12-18-2010, 01:54 PM
I "NEVER" leave my quad on the side of the road. I always find a place where I can take it off road and into a place where there's some bush that I can camo/hide the thing. I take a little extra effort in doing this every time. The effin thing cost too much money to just leave on the side of the road for some dirtbag to jellpoke into his truck, while I'm out hunting. I always have a decent size piece of chain and a lock with me too. It doesn't take up enough room for me not to, so there is no excuse for me not to have it. Besides all that, I don't want people knowing where I am, and a quad on the road is a dead give away.

Moose72
12-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Winch it to something when not around it. Shoot the shat outta whatever they came in on.

M.Dean
12-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Everything I own, I paid for! If you see something of mine you need, ask and I'll loan it or give it to you. If you steal from me, and or if you have a weapon on you at the time your trying to steal from me, I will defend my Property and myself to the death! And Trust Me, they will find a Loaded Discharged weapon in your cold dead hands!!! Merry Christmas to all!!!

killer
12-18-2010, 02:36 PM
There is no place in my world for thieves.Call me old school but i am with mr. dean.

white moose
12-18-2010, 02:45 PM
My dad has two quads stolen in about 10 years in the interior. One was stolen when i was caretaking. Thieves got by the dog undetected, they even rolled my car out of the way and cut locks and snowplow off. They have a new sheppard now with great hearing. 12 gauge always handy now.

Mark_S
12-18-2010, 03:17 PM
I used to winch my quad to a tree or a log and thought I was pretty bright to do that....until I realized you can just turn most Warn winches to neutral and free wheel out enough slack to unhook it.

The West Kootenays has a lot of Quad and Sled thefts. Its a good idea to lock your machine up and have an alarm system on it or the shed you store them in. I have a lot of friends who have lost Quads, sleds and bikes and the cops seem to be unable to do anything about it.

Manglinmike
12-18-2010, 03:33 PM
I have a 20 ft long 3/8s cable that I put through the front suspetion and cable it to a good sized tree,everytime.

Jelvis
12-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Pretty sick to have these thieves in the back woods roads, some desperate people out in the world, break in and steal now lifting some hunters quad off the side road is scary to say the least, what next?
Jel .. Not safe anywhere these daze .. Meet up with the wrong dudes @ the wrong time and Kaos and Mayhem.

Chuck
12-18-2010, 05:57 PM
I don't even want to go fishing in a remote place anymore. Get back to the truck & trailer and who knows what's been removed/destroyed while I was gone. All I can think to do, if possible, is put up a concealed trail cam to watch.

gameslayer
12-18-2010, 06:03 PM
You have Yamaha they probably thought it was broke down and you where walking out. Where going to haul it to the dump for you, don't want to litter the forest with scrap! ;)

:mrgreen: good one

kodimack
12-18-2010, 06:41 PM
I use a 1/2'' cable and a ss disk lock ,lock it to another quad or a respectable tree and don't park near a road .

dino
12-18-2010, 09:30 PM
I "NEVER" leave my quad on the side of the road. I always find a place where I can take it off road and into a place where there's some bush that I can camo/hide the thing. I take a little extra effort in doing this every time. The effin thing cost too much money to just leave on the side of the road for some dirtbag to jellpoke into his truck, while I'm out hunting. I always have a decent size piece of chain and a lock with me too. It doesn't take up enough room for me not to, so there is no excuse for me not to have it. Besides all that, I don't want people knowing where I am, and a quad on the road is a dead give away.
The area I was in was pretty remote and I never see a soul in there ever.I am still not sure if this was an attemted theft but I am curious to hear if there are thieves out there that are looking for quads like this. I have insurance on all my toys, this does ease my mind where ever I leave a machine parked.

dino
12-18-2010, 09:34 PM
You could leave a polaris parked in whalley and it would still be there in the morning.

bowhunterbruce
12-18-2010, 09:49 PM
after loseing my brutt forse 750 1 month after we got it and having only made the first payment on it i vowed that when we got another one, that it would never get stolen and we wouldn't get it back.2 years later i got a 800 max and included a gps tracking system with an early warning and back up battery should anyone try to disconnect it from the battery.its linked to mine and the wife work computer and both of our cel phones.
i truely mean it when i say,they had bettter hope that the police get to them before i do, and i have the advanage lol.
its a good peace of mind knowing i can literally follow them now and if on the off chance they try to duck into a concrete building to hide it returns the info to me as its last address.
bhb

knighthunter
12-18-2010, 09:57 PM
This kinda gives me an idea for a part time job. Hire me as a security guard while your back in the bush, I'll look out for your quad, truck/ camp. And I'll be friggin armed too. You suppy the shovel cause I'll be SSS.

.330 Dakota
12-18-2010, 10:37 PM

Bite your tongue....harder its not bleeding yet

.330 Dakota
12-18-2010, 10:39 PM
after loseing my brutt forse 750 1 month after we got it and having only made the first payment on it i vowed that when we got another one, that it would never get stolen and we wouldn't get it back.2 years later i got a 800 max and included a gps tracking system with an early warning and back up battery should anyone try to disconnect it from the battery.its linked to mine and the wife work computer and both of our cel phones.
i truely mean it when i say,they had bettter hope that the police get to them before i do, and i have the advanage lol.
its a good peace of mind knowing i can literally follow them now and if on the off chance they try to duck into a concrete building to hide it returns the info to me as its last address.
bhb
What system are you using, is it the Snitch?

hunter1947
12-19-2010, 05:12 AM
Quad stealer's are out there and they do steel quads etc good thing you had your alarm on your quad.

A good friend of mine had his new quad taken right out from underneath him when the where asleep at night.

This happened in elkford about 6 years ago..

bowhunterbruce
12-19-2010, 06:14 AM
What system are you using, is it the Snitch?
mobile iq is the name of it

M.Dean
12-19-2010, 06:37 AM
You know it's a sad world when we, the honest Taxpaying Canadian are told by our Police Force and Government to bar our windows,Double Lock our Doors, have Alarms installed in all our vehicles, don't fight back if attacked, Don't use a Firearm to protect your self etc! Were told if we do hurt or kill a person trying to steal our property or rob us, We Will Be Charged! It's dam near time we Voted in a few Good Olde Texas Boys into Office in Canada, maybe they could pass a few laws where we the Honest Person have the Law's on our side!!! I for one will try to protect my Property the same as I would the Life of myself or a Member of my Family!

Camp Cook
12-19-2010, 07:21 AM
I'll run for that office...

:mrgreen:

killer
12-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Not just quads two separate friends of mine had their truck broken into.Both nanaimo outskirts,broke windows both times.One heard motorbikes when he got to his truck they had pulled right up to it,did thier s##t sprayed mud and rocks all over the truck as they fd off.

bigshooter
12-19-2010, 08:29 PM
We need to vote in our judges like the U.S. police catch thieves every day just to have them let go.

silvicon
12-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Back to the first post:
you are lucky not to have it burned, or at least 4 flat tires!!!
Being mostly plastic a ATV burns very quick, their tires are easy cut with a pocket knife.

dino
12-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Back to the first post:
you are lucky not to have it burned, or at least 4 flat tires!!!
Being mostly plastic a ATV burns very quick, their tires are easy cut with a pocket knife.

Why would someone want to burn it? It would probably start a forest fire.

r106
12-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Why would someone want to burn it? It would probably start a forest fire.

The sad part is people like that usualy don't care

kodimack
12-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Is it leagal to bait quad thieves. If I remember correctly quad thieves and all others are open season all year around.

curt
12-20-2010, 11:00 AM
If people have the balls to attempt stealing anything and in the field especially when you gotta know there are guns involved, really he should be ready for a not so favorable outcome!!!!!!!!!!! Self defense is easy to prove when your the only one talking;) I have zero time or patience for thieves at the very least make his trip back to the pavement a long limping walk!!!:):shock:

Hunterguy
12-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Thats why I have insurance whether it be storage or out on the trail, fire and theft, peace of mind when you leave it in the bush.

Spokerider
12-20-2010, 04:16 PM
http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_south/sookenewsmirror/news/102659809.html

When thieves are not smashing into them after breaking into them, they are burning them.....an on going event over the years.

oldschoolguy
12-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Is it leagal to bait quad thieves. If I remember correctly quad thieves and all others are open season all year around.

Page 62, section 3(2)b. All quad/atv thieves are schedule C, and are open to be hunted, killed, shot down, all year round. Must retain proof of sex, and the skull, with teeth on it, for identification

BillyBull
12-23-2010, 01:00 AM
X3 on the insurance and I also have a super chain/locks I carry on the quad for when I park it in the bush attached to a tree as I head up a trail on foot... yes the thief might be carrying a chain saw ... but if I hear a saw running, so am I and I don't mind firing at trees or chains or thieves.