PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing Deka

chris
12-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Well this will be my first year ice fishing and I was hoping to get some tips and tricks from the pros. I have a place at Deka lake and I think I have the lake dialed in pretty well but dont know what to expect for ice fishing. Do I try the spots that produce during the rest of the year? Are jigs a good bet or is bait better? As I said this will be my first time so any tips would be welcome. Thanks
chris

M.Dean
12-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Try a small jig, I put Krill on mine, works great! You can also tie a shiny silver spoon about a foot or so above a plain hook, put krill on the hook, lower it right to the bottom then raise it up about 2 or 3 feet off the bottom, jig it up and down a bit too. When you get your depth right, hook a bobber on your line, the red and white ones are the best. Good Luck!

Fisher-Dude
12-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Always good to fish off a point, or in a bay, that has produced for you in the summer. Look for drop offs and fish the edge where the trout cruise for food. As MD said, a couple of feet off the bottom is a good depth.

6 - 12 feet of water seems to be the sweet spot, but some days they will be deeper or shallower, so don't be afraid to explore if it's slow where you are. Also, give things a chance to settle down after you dig a hole, as fish sometimes spook for 30 minutes or so after a new hole is drilled.

I jig a LOT. 3 or 4 jigs, then let it sit for 10 seconds, if no bites, jig again. If you get a hit after a series of jigs, jig again (small jig) once or twice and get ready, because this will usually keep the trout interested and they will hit again. I've watched trout swim by several times and just give the bait a tap before they grab it, so don't let them lose interest with a still bait. They are atrracted to movement.

I use Russian hooks or tear drop type jigs, and mealworms are my fave bait. Chartreuse, red, and white are the best winter colours I've found. YMMV.

Chuck
12-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Time of day........on the interior lakes anyway, action is best early in the day, and again late afternoon. Always seems to be a lull of a few hours midday imo.

MIL720
12-18-2010, 01:15 PM
First thing in the morning..Go to where you see lots of other people..Kokanee fishin is the best..Go to the local sporting good store and get a "DEKA" spoon, tie it to your line, 10-14 inches of leader, orange or pink glow hook and regular and/or pink maggots....You'll slay em....Good luck and maybe even see ya there......last year they were usually around 40 feet..

recoil
12-18-2010, 05:01 PM
I also have a plce on Deka and although i have never ice fished there you will know the good spots becuase the ice will look like swiss cheese, it is popular with the ice fishers. I have had excellent success in the open water season for both rainbows and kokanee, if you have a sled or quad try the big end of the lake for lakers, big spoons tipped with some sort of scent are supposed to be good.

chris
12-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Well thanks for all the tips. I will be up there for a couple of days over new years and will hopefully have some nice pictures to post.
Thanks again
chris

Caveman
12-20-2010, 08:55 PM
I also have a plce on Deka and although i have never ice fished there you will know the good spots becuase the ice will look like swiss cheese, it is popular with the ice fishers. I have had excellent success in the open water season for both rainbows and kokanee, if you have a sled or quad try the big end of the lake for lakers, big spoons tipped with some sort of scent are supposed to be good.

I also have a spot on Deka and have yet to try icefishing up there. Where abouts are you guys located up there?

hillclimber
12-20-2010, 09:45 PM
hmmm i was camped at a lake on the windy mtn rd this sunmmer and there were a few guys that said they ice fished deka every winter. I believe they are known in that neck of the woods as "the transit guys". Or something like that. Try and see if you can locate them. Now that i think of it they may have been fishing sulphurous actually. You could try Sheridan or Fawn Lake aswell. They are both good lakes. Earlier in the winter the better.

M.Dean
12-20-2010, 10:16 PM
The ice up there should be good to go, but check it first if no one else is out there. Some guy darn near drowned in the last day or so I heard at Paul Lake up here, went out on the ice, broke through and Dam near Drowned!!! Some one seen him from there house in the water and went to the rescue! I guess the guy tried to get on a piece of ice when some one grabbed a long rope, chucked it to him and dragged him to shore, he was suffering from bad Hypothermia!!! So, be very careful out there!

shantz
12-20-2010, 10:26 PM
I use a ruby eyed wiggled or a deka spoon then a pink glow hook with either a maggot or a meal worm. Works great. Have fun I should be up in that area in the next few days.