PDA

View Full Version : Antler skull cap repair?

Buckmeister
12-18-2010, 01:04 AM
The unthinkable has happened. I capped the antlers from my last years white tail and had it sitting atop our wardrobe. I stupidly hung a hoodie off on of the tines and then my wife went to open one of the wardrobe doors. The action of opening the door tugged on the hoodie, which in turn pulled on the antlers causing them to slide off of the wardrobe and fall some 6 1/2 feet to the floor causing them TO BREAK IN HALF!!!!!! :evil::evil::evil: I watched the whole things happen before my very eyes. They now look like a pair of sheds with some skull attached.

Basically it broke along where the skull plates had fused together. I can hold the two halves together so it all looks whole again, but how can I make it stay that way??? Has anyone had this problem before? Is there a good way to fix this? Some kind of glue perhaps?

Please help :(
Buckmeister shattered.

SHAKER
12-18-2010, 01:20 AM
Sent you a PM....... I might be able to help you out!

knighthunter
12-18-2010, 04:24 AM
Get an antler mount made out of it. Either by a taxidermist or do it yourself. If your not sure how, there is a kit you can buy. I think I saw one on Cabels's site.

sawmill
12-18-2010, 04:42 AM
I have mounted lots of racks like that.Drill some small holes along either side of the break and wire them together.Then get an antler mounting kit.I do mine the hard way,cutting a shape for the head,plaster,sand,more plaster, shape and sand,cover in leather,mount on a plaque.Get the kit,it`s easier,not as nice but easier.

kennyj
12-18-2010, 09:53 AM
Easy to fix. Use 5 minute epoxy to glue together. The only tricky part is holding them together in the corect position until the glue dries. Then fit a small block of wood in the hollow on the underside of the skull and epoxy in place for reinforcement.
kenny

killer
12-18-2010, 10:04 AM
A buddy of mine tripped and fell on his set he used jb weld and it worked fine.

Jim Prawn
12-18-2010, 03:03 PM
My first blacktail 20 years ago was shot right between the eyes and busted the skull in half. I used fiberglass mesh & resin to hold it together and it is still in tact today. I first used a hot glue gun to hold the pieces where I wanted them (because it sets up almost immediately) then resin - mesh - more resin over the whole skull cap. The beauty is you can make them as wide as you want now!:-D
JP

dime
12-19-2010, 12:15 AM
I broke one of my sets of antlers in half last year. I had boiled them in a pot of water to get the remnants of hair and flesh off the skullplate, and when I took them out of the soup, I made the mistake of holding them by one antler and swinging them in an arc trying to get the water/bits of flesh off. Well they came apart at the junction of the skull plates and broke in half. I jammed them together with Crazy glue and put about 10 more coats on the junction, they have lasted for two years with no problem. If you want to mount them, I would drill and screw them in position as has been suggested by other members.
Don't fret it is a fixable problem.

Whisky Creek
12-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Hopefully it wasn't a record book contender. Can't have them entered in B&C if the skull plate is or has been broken, as you are unable to determine an accurate inside measurement.

alpinetreker
12-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Goop works great

pnbrock
12-19-2010, 11:43 AM
i think you should remove a piece of your hip bone and graft the two pieces toegether ,reinforce with titanium plate and screws.or glue might work too.

Crys Shorty
12-19-2010, 04:41 PM
I know doing taxidermy to set antlers or horns in place on a shoulder mount i use bondo. Works awesome. Drill holes 1 1/2 inches apart between the antlers, find bolts long enough to go through the skull plate and a plaque. use clay and form a base, when it's dry, use a cover like leather, and you have yourself a nice antler mount. Lots of websites with detailed instructions

Jager
12-19-2010, 06:46 PM
I've done it like kennyj. Epoxy and then epoxy a block of wood underneath. Screw from the back through a wooden plaque/shield and you've got it mounted with no unsightly screw heads.

Buckmeister
12-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Great ideas...thanks everyone....the rack is a medium sized 5x5...nowhere near book but a nice set nonetheless.