PDA

View Full Version : Can you tell deer age

HIGHRPM
12-17-2010, 11:04 PM
I have been watching a tons of vids on youtube and noticed that most of the hunters were saying how old the buck was before they shot and didn't wait to check teeth wear or anything like that. I have never been able to, am I missing something very obvious or just many years of figuring it out. With all my years hunting in Manitoba and Sask. no one ever really cared or talked about their age. So, what do I need to learn here? Pics would help if needed. :confused:

peashooter
12-17-2010, 11:35 PM
yankees get a hard on for that stuff, i personally don't give a rats ass. i can sorta tell by deep belly, swayed back. thicker chest/neck. face looks aged. i guess its almost like when you see a person walking down the street, you probably can ball park age just by a few tell tale signs.

BiG Boar
12-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Cut the penis with a knife and count the rings?

Prowler
12-18-2010, 08:56 AM

Oh, that made me cringe.......:icon_frow

I usualy will say to myself, "Thats an old deer, or thats a young deer" but thats as far as I go..

tackdriver
12-18-2010, 09:23 AM

Thanks coffee all over the lap top. But what a good one. :mrgreen:

HIGHRPM
12-22-2010, 11:38 AM

OUCH says it all. I don't care about the age, but I am amazed or amused by the ability of these people to see a deer at 100 yards and say its a 2 year old.

12-22-2010, 11:45 AM
I can totally tell a deers age, Right down to early or late season!! :wink:..... Course there is never anyone there to tell me im wrong :mrgreen:

Seriously though, It to me is either old or young. Young 2? old 6-7?
but the face and chest tell it all. Look at PG66,s deer He likes them old!
then look at mine .... when i get one,,,, i dont give a damn!