PDA

View Full Version : Duck hunting near houses, what do you think?

seanps
12-17-2010, 05:25 PM
Hi folks. A family friend offered to share a field he hunts in Delta. I took a drive out with him last week, only to find that the small field is bordered on three sides by roads (the fourth side is another field that's off-limits).

One road has a few houses along it. When I was there on a Saturday afternoon, there were a couple kids playing out front and an old Lab wandering around the yard. Another road goes to the port and looked pretty busy.

It's a legal place to hunt, and I checked the regs to make sure it's far enough from the roadway and houses (it is, maybe 250 metres from each). That day I didn't have my Fraser Valley permit so I didn't stick around.

But I'm feeling strange about hunting there, particularly because I'm not used to a crowd OR cars passing by while I'm shooting. Kids running around a yard while I'm shooting also weirds me out. Then again, it's a free spot in a private field.

What do you guys think? For me hunting is something enjoyed in relative solitude. Wonder if I should change my attitude and take advantage of this spot, or find somewhere else.

Ozone
12-17-2010, 05:32 PM
I think if you need to ask this question, you already know your answer. Better safe than sorry.

Kudu
12-17-2010, 05:40 PM
I guess it depends on how desperate you are?

I don't have any private land to hunt on, I don't know anyone who has and have never asked permission from landowners.

I have never been to the marsh - all be it, I live almost dead centre between it and mud bay - yet I have duck breast in the fridge.

My son (15) and I do OK with what we have.

You must do what you feel is right - if hunting there doesn't feel right then don't do it.

Whenever we go to Mud bay - we see no one - we hear the shots going off all around us like crazy, yet we have never met anyone or even seen their cars in the car park - all rather weird to tell the truth - but it is what it is.

TheProvider
12-17-2010, 06:28 PM
I'd pass personally specially if you don't feel comfortable doing it than don't. Sure it's legal and the house are outta of range/danger. I've been in this situation before and I passed, even though you know your shooting a shotgun and it won't harm the house kids or pets outside. WHen the shooting starts those folks will be peering out the windows as to whats going on. If their not familiar with firearms than they may think their family and home is in danger. Don't need more people frowning at hunters. I used to hunt a lake and one day I tried a different spot and there were houses on the opposite side of the lake, it was a narrow lake, prolly 350metres across, I hunted it one morning, made sure I never shot towards the homes. Never hunted the spot again, just didn't feel right. I didn't wanna get back to my truck and have an angry mob saying I was shooting at their homes. Too each their own tho, however if you feel bad about it I suggest you pass

Crazy_Farmer
12-17-2010, 08:39 PM
As the suburbs expand outwards this will only become more and more prevalent. I can see it being a double edged sword though. On one hand people may complain and try to shut the area down or if you don't hunt it then one day it may become closed and you'll be kicking yourself for even more land in the lower mainland being shutdown to the ever expanding city. I vote hunt it. You seem like a sensible person who wouldn't shoot towards the buildings and would treat it with respect. You'll only have yourself to blame when it gets closed to hunting becuase nobody hunts there.

RJ
12-17-2010, 08:42 PM
If your family friend already hunts there the neighbours have probably seen and heard him shooting. Could always stop by for a chat to feel them out.

Mr. Dean
12-20-2010, 01:25 AM
I wouldn't sweat it. Just be safe and enjoy what it all offers.

shotgunjohn
12-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Grew up in Surrey and now live on southern Vancouver Island. If we didn't hunt where there are houses close by we just didn't hunt. Personally I think the more people that are aware that hunting still takes place in these areas the better. If we are waterfowl hunting a spot that hasen't been hunted for a while we will phone the local R.C.M.P. and explain to them that we will be hunting legally and where. Then if someone does call they can pass on that we are legal and they don't have to send a cruiser out.
There will be people that are suprised and possibly angry that you are hunting there, but I think we just need to be polite and respectful and explain ourselves if givin the opportunity. As for kids being close by , my dad didn't hunt but I got interested from seeing other people going out on our farm.

Gateholio
12-20-2010, 09:34 AM
If it's safe and it's legal, then go for it. I routinely shoot at home and so do a few of my neighbors. SUre it's a little loud but so are the tractors, the chainsaws, the snowmobiles, the ATV's and the cows...:-D

seanps
12-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Great, thanks guys, good advice all around. I'll let you know what happens.

GotSpringer
12-21-2010, 05:21 PM
I think I know where you are hunting, I have a few private fields in Delta and sometimes I just don't hunt them unless it is blowing hard !
(It really is the best time anyway)

People are less likey to be out playing around on days like this!

The more bangs the more complaints & then chances is they will close that area. Always side on the safe side. I had two fields in Richmond close due to safety/complaints damm !

Don't be too exicted to risk loosing it! I love hunting in the fields !