PDA

View Full Version : Snow Shoes

fuzzy
12-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Good afternoon

I did a small side job for someone in exchange for a couple of pairs of snowshoes. Seeing though that i have never been snowshoeing or even held a pair of snowshoes before i wasnt to picky or knowledgeable about what i was getting.

I just picked them up off the guy and brought them home. I ended up with Finmark Quest snowshoes. One pair is 24X8 and the other is 28X8. Can anyone tell me anything about these? as well as give me any tips for my first time out? what boots should i wear with these, i have danner canadians as well as a pair of old school Alico mountain boots.

thanks
Fuzzy

Chuck
12-17-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm not familiar with these snowshoes, but would offer some good advice regards the beginner starting out in this sport, if you care.

Start out slow and easy, and day by day build up your muscles till you become very comfortable doing it. That's the way ya!

If you start out gung-ho and over do it, you might just make the mistake of straining your muscles so bad, you will administer "Heet" liniment to your sore, aching legs and groin area. Don't do this, as you will suffer terribly for days in bed. I know, I bt&dt! Lol - now.

fuzzy
12-17-2010, 03:08 PM
thanks for the heads up!!! i could just picture it, my wife and i being out there and me being a stubborn dink, pushing us to go further.

you may have just prevnted me from alienating my wife from ever coming snowshoeing with me for a 2nd time:mrgreen::mrgreen:

fuzzy

gmcgilli66
12-23-2010, 10:16 PM
I don't know the brand, or the style of harness, but here's a pointer or two:
Make sure the toe of your boot will fit through the "D" in the shoe or if it's a "plate above the bed" style, that your boot fits snugly in the harness. You don't need a really rigid soled boot. Weight is more of an issue when you are learning. You need to lift your knee higher than normal walking so conditioning is an issue.
You can use a pair of X/C or longer downhill poles for stability and balance. It'll really help when trying to get up in deep powder!
Take it easy the first few times (esp. on the less-fit member!)
Stay hydrated and observe safety precautions like you would when hunting.
Even on little outings, TAKE YOUR SAFETY/SURVIVAL GEAR!!!
Enjoy!

fuzzy
12-24-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the input, took em out for the first time on mon up mt seymour. My wife and i took it easy and only went for a couple of hours. I quikly saw the flaws in these shoes( i beleive they are a Tubbs knockoff). They are good enough considering they cost me 2.5 hours labour. These shoes will get us out there for this season but will not be icey condition friendly in comparison to what else is available on the market. We will be looking to get some higher end shoes for next year. Any recomendations for shoes under 300 a pair that will be mostly used in the coast mountains??

thanks
fuzzy

2x4x16
12-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Mec has a great selection of shoes to rent as well, test before you buy - I believe they will take off the rent rate if you purchase. I had a cheap entry level shoes that lasted about 5 trips then they blew apart. took them back the following season and got a full refund toward another set. Mine are MSR with the large crampon at the front foot area. For the coast the snow is always wet and you don't need a large powder shoe.

ursusbait
12-31-2010, 02:26 PM
MSR makes good snow shoes ususally they should be priced around $200. They solid plastic model works for me as a personal shoe, they also have tail you can buy that bolt onto them if you are in need of additional float. That being said if you are a big guy (200 lbs or better) you need to look into a shoe that has a wider area under and adjacent to your foot as this creates more float where your weight is and not out behind you which works but not as well. GV are Canadian made snowshoes that are the only company that I have found that will warranty your shoes if you work forestry or in the bush. they make a "wide trail" that are phenominal but they will set you back at least $300.

ursusbait

wildcatter
12-31-2010, 03:22 PM
Last Christmas I bought these snowshoes at crappy tire under $100 they are made in Canada, look cool and so far holding up good.
Not designed to climb steep hills, but I do regardless, not bad at all.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Faber.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=22061&size=big&cat=500)

ufishifish2
01-02-2011, 12:36 PM
I work in the bush on snowshoes all winter. For years I wore the really expensive brands but would have to send them in for repairs every year anyways. In the past couple years I have just given up and started buying Tubbs from E-bay instead for 30 or 40 bucks a pair. If they are good enough for me to use every day, they should really be good enough for anyone.