Motor Vehicle - means a device in, on or by
which a person or thing is being or may be
transported or drawn, and which is designed
to be self propelled, and includes an ATV or
snowmobile, but does not include a device
designed to be moved by human, animal or
wind power; a device designed to be used
exclusively on stationary rails or stationary
tracks; or a boat propelled by motorized power.

Power Boat - means a boat, canoe or yacht
powered by electric, gasoline, oil, steam or
other mechanical means, but does not include
a boat powered manually nor a boat with an
outboard motor provided the motor is tilted
or otherwise disengaged so as not to be ready
for immediate use.

It is Unlawful to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or a
boat propelled by a motor.

So it is not clear to me if I cah cruise around in a boat propelled by an outboard motor, see a deer on shore, stop and raise the motor, then take a shot at the deer.

Can anybody offer any clarification on this?

SHACK
12-17-2010, 11:35 AM
I was told yes you can, providing any movement caused by the motor has ceased.

steel_ram
12-17-2010, 11:40 AM
So is this legal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk_pAvP3iAg

Ozone
12-17-2010, 11:54 AM
So is this legal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk_pAvP3iAg

With the limited info we are given from the vid, I would say yes as I cant hear or see a motor, nor does it look like the boat is moving.

SHACK
12-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Yuppers, looks legit to me!

12-17-2010, 01:03 PM
I asked a CO this question. I hunt in places for ducks that sitting in the boat is quite conveinient.

His reply was "As long as the motor is off and on tilt your good"

He ( i havent watched the vid ) also told me that in Ontario where he was from people power into rafts of ducks, kill the motor and throw it on tilt then shoot.

But you are legal to shoot from a boat as long as it is not under power ( motor ) paddle is fine

white moose
12-17-2010, 02:12 PM
So whats the story with jetboats? Motor off with key out? Or do you have to pull up on the shore? Need a solid answer. thanks

lorneparker1
12-17-2010, 02:24 PM
I asked a CO this question. I hunt in places for ducks that sitting in the boat is quite conveinient.

His reply was "As long as the motor is off and on tilt your good"

He ( i havent watched the vid ) also told me that in Ontario where he was from people power into rafts of ducks, kill the motor and throw it on tilt then shoot.

But you are legal to shoot from a boat as long as it is not under power ( motor ) paddle is fine

Its called sneak shooting. It used to be quite common where im from (windsor, ont) on the detroit river and Lake St. Clair

12-17-2010, 02:24 PM
So whats the story with jetboats? Motor off with key out? Or do you have to pull up on the shore? Need a solid answer. thanks

You will have to email the co service. Ask them, They will email you back. Print the email and bring it with you.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/
solid awnsers dont happen on this forum! :mrgreen:

This is a more direct link
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/contacts.html

ape
12-17-2010, 03:32 PM
The engine has to be disabled so as not readily available to go. Such as pulling the key from an outboard, raise the engine or pulling the tether cord on an outboard. This would be the same as pulling the key from the ignition on a jet boat.

warnniklz
12-17-2010, 03:41 PM
I lift the leg on my outboard before I touch the trigger

Blair
12-17-2010, 04:47 PM
You will have to email the co service. Ask them, They will email you back. Print the email and bring it with you.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/
solid awnsers dont happen on this forum! :mrgreen:

This is a more direct link
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/contacts.html

Good Idea - I sent an email off to the CO to get the definitive answer. With things like this, I prefer to have an "official" answer, as the downside of getting it wrong could be extreme. I'll post the answer when I get it.

.330 Dakota
12-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Question, I see lots of guys shoot moose in the water. Doesnt that wreck the meat, ie swamp stench?

steel_ram
12-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Question, I see lots of guys shoot moose in the water. Doesnt that wreck the meat, ie swamp stench?

No. You'd want to get them out of the water before dressing and quartering them.

abbyfireguy
12-17-2010, 06:15 PM
You may not shoot from a boat powered by a motor. An outboard is ok if it is tilted or otherwise disabled. An inboard jetboat is not acceptable as it cannot be tilted .
Sucks for me as I own a inboard jetboat.
All that means is you can't shoot from the boat. So, beach it, hop out ,and blast away. Then you are legal.

You may shoot waterfowl from a powerboat as long as it is anchored,beached or tied off to a solid pbject..

white moose
12-18-2010, 02:32 AM
You may not shoot from a boat powered by a motor. An outboard is ok if it is tilted or otherwise disabled. An inboard jetboat is not acceptable as it cannot be tilted .
Sucks for me as I own a inboard jetboat.
All that means is you can't shoot from the boat. So, beach it, hop out ,and blast away. Then you are legal.

You may shoot waterfowl from a powerboat as long as it is anchored,beached or tied off to a solid pbject..
Well that sucks for me too, i also have jetboat. What about guys drifting the northern rivers? You know their under power for steering, unless outboard maybe? Sounds like a touchy subject.

silvertipp
12-18-2010, 03:37 AM
i have a jet boat and drift hunt a river up north as well as several other people ,i have been checked out by the co up there and never had any problems this is an ongoing discussion all over but up there i was told as long as my boat motor is in an off ,key out in an unoperatable condition im fine jm2cents

sawmill
12-18-2010, 04:46 AM
Sucks for me as I own a inboard jetboat. .

Boo Hoo:mrgreen:I`ll take it off yer hands for a hundred bucks.:-D

sawmill
12-18-2010, 04:46 AM
Even better,I`ll trade you for my canoe,you can shoot from that.