PDA

View Full Version : Anyone down near Fruitvale with some cougar hounds?

LukaTisus
12-17-2010, 10:04 AM
:P Funny place to be asking.. (or is it?) But I've got a friend of mine living down there who's had a serious cougar problem the last week. It's shown up every other night and the CO apparently "can't make it" for another few days, but she's been losing sleep at night with it prowling around, driving her dogs crazy and all she's got is a .22.

There's a few places around where she lives with little kids standing at bus-stops in the morning, she used to be a hunting Guide, and knows normal cougar behavior vs abnormal and says this one's likely an old-timer that's looking for an easy meal. It's already cleaned out her chicken coop after her relentless attempts at keeping it away.

Not sure how it works, whether it's pursuit only down there right now or not, but something needs to be done about this cat, if anyone's close enough to the area to do so, before it nabs someone's child or something. :|

Stone Sheep Steve
12-17-2010, 10:06 AM
PM sent.

SSS

LukaTisus
12-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks, guys! :) I sent her the information, so hopefully something can be done about it. It definitely strikes me as an older/sick cat.. it came back again around 1AM last night and she couldn't call her dog back inside from it, so hopefully the dog's ok. I haven't heard anything back from her yet.

bayou
12-17-2010, 10:34 AM
The trail area is open for cats right now, so if it is in a legal area to hunt I would suggest getting someone with a tag to harvest the cat. This way it will not be wasted. There is a few guys in the castlegar area that may be willing to help. If nothing comes of your other leeds, I can try and get you a #.
Would be interested in the end results if or when it happens.
It is possible that her own dog may put it up a tree.

LukaTisus
12-17-2010, 10:42 AM
It had her dog pinned down the other night while trying to get to her chickens.. it's a collie mix, so a decent-sized dog for sure.

I left her a message on FB AND a message on her answering machine, so hopefully she'll get one or the other and get ahold of the number I got for Mr. Mykietyn.

I'm just a bit steamed about all this, she called both the CO and the RCMP and the RCMP wouldn't respond because it wasn't 'equipped' to handle a cougar, and the CO like I said couldn't make it.. Up here, a problem animal like that would've been dealt with the same day!

Spokerider
12-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Sounds like that cat is well versed in backyard dogs.
Best she has someone who knows what they may be up against, as even a scrawny old cougar can easily kill a dog or two if it so decides to.

rocksteady
12-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Send a PM to Deeks, he is from there and may know of some dog runners....

LukaTisus
12-17-2010, 01:54 PM
I got a message from her on FB, I think she called up Jay. Hopefully the problem will be taken care of, now! I'll keep you guys updated

open-sights
12-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Hahaha, One phone call and it went from Mr. mykieten to Jay. Hahahaha, sorry Jay.

LukaTisus
12-17-2010, 02:39 PM
It's 'cuz I actually forgot how to spell his last name for a moment there. Just woke up from a nap. :) STILL. I've never been good with sticking to formalities. Is he a member of the forum here at all??

open-sights
12-17-2010, 03:37 PM
I'm sure he is, a personal friend and a good guy - will definately take care of your cougar trouble.

LukaTisus
12-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Excellent!

LOL If the cougar were bothering me, he'd been skinned by now. S'my friend who lives down there having the bad luck, just sucks she used to hunt all the time and has downgraded to little more than a .22! LOL.

bayou
12-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Any updates on this yet? With some of the posts on this thread from yesterday that have now disappeared it will be interesting to see the outcome.

LukaTisus
12-18-2010, 08:30 PM
From what I heard, there was just enough fresh snow on the track that the dogs lost the trail. They were onto something at least, from what I understand, and I hope for my friend's sake it was enough to spook that cat to the other end of the countryside lol.

deeks1989
12-18-2010, 08:49 PM
I am from Fruitvale and know Jay personally he is a great hunter and should get the job done if it comes back. We have quite a few cats around here and I hope this cat won't come back and your friend will be safe:wink:

Jagermeister
12-18-2010, 09:22 PM
There once was a bounty on cougar in this province when I was a youngster.
The conservation officers had the liberty to cash in too.
One of them that I was acquainted with would use only a .22 to dispatch any cats that his hounds treed. I asked him why the .22 and not something larger. He told me he preferred to have the cat bleed out in the tree before dropping. This way he said his hounds would not get shredded by reflex action if the cat were knocked out of the tree with something bigger.

bayou
12-19-2010, 10:29 AM
From what I heard, there was just enough fresh snow on the track that the dogs lost the trail. They were onto something at least, from what I understand, and I hope for my friend's sake it was enough to spook that cat to the other end of the countryside lol.
Interesting

Blair
12-19-2010, 10:48 AM
There once was a bounty on cougar in this province when I was a youngster.
The conservation officers had the liberty to cash in too.
One of them that I was acquainted with would use only a .22 to dispatch any cats that his hounds treed. I asked him why the .22 and not something larger. He told me he preferred to have the cat bleed out in the tree before dropping. This way he said his hounds would not get shredded by reflex action if the cat were knocked out of the tree with something bigger.

why not leash the dogs before shooting?