PDA

View Full Version : Legal light and killing

AT&T
12-17-2010, 08:29 AM
Regardless of what the regs say on legal shooting light I would like your feed back on this. I imagine guys that stand hunt will have a different opinion that the walk and stalk folks. Peronslly I like seeing flame come out the barrel.

NitwiT
12-17-2010, 08:32 AM
so you would shoot before legal shooting cuz you "like seeing flame come out the barrel"?

I'm kind of hoping this thread was a joke, and that I missed the humor..

Stone Sheep Steve
12-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Even in the best conditions, I find the first and last 15 minutes of light completely useless. Don't even consider trying to count points.
Snow on the ground does help a bit...but not good enough to make much of a difference.

SSS

Confused
12-17-2010, 08:38 AM
Regardless of what the regs say on legal shooting light I would like your feed back on this. I imagine guys that stand hunt will have a different opinion that the walk and stalk folks. Peronslly I like seeing flame come out the barrel.

The last half hour of legal shooting light is dark, should have no problem seeing the flames coming out your barrel.

ARC
12-17-2010, 09:12 AM
I think the rule is pretty reasonable as is.

I was stand hunting over an open field one time. It was the last day of the season. I watched a small 4 point come out and feed in the middle of the field. I waited about 30-40 minutes for a bigger one to come out. When I finally looked at my watch I had 6 minutes of legal light left, so I decided to let the deer have it.

It was a clear night, in a snow covered field, pretty much ideal conditions for extending visibility. If I had to count points at that time, I dont think I would have been able to. You could easily tell it was a buck, but that is about it.

This year up in the Peace country I had a big buck walk past my stand at the edge of a small pasture. I could tell it was a buck, and a decent one at that. I looked at my watch and still had 7 minutes before it was legal light, so had to let him walk. Had it been within legal time, I could have shot him easily, but I wouldnt have been able to count points. All I could see through the binos was a big body and decent frame. Again, the deer was at close range, in the open, on a clear night and there was snow on the ground.

AT&T
12-17-2010, 09:12 AM
so you would shoot before legal shooting cuz you "like seeing flame come out the barrel"?

Illegal Shooting. Did I say I was breaking the law. Did you hear that? Dont remember saying that.
Not a joke at all. Maybe the part about barrel flame but that happens anyway.
No I am serious. I remember the days of open site 30 30 hunting. Our early morning evening hunting was much shorter back then. With good scopes that all changed. The sunset sunrise thing is different depending on where you go in the province. Also depends on elevation. 7000 feet or a tight valley bottom.

Ya I am serious.

MuleyMadness
12-17-2010, 09:14 AM
It depends on the terrain and cover you are hunting in....unless there is a full or close to it moon up, with no cover (or next to no cover) I have never been in a situation at the start or end of legal shooting light (one hour before or after sunrise/sunset), where I could ID an animal without the aide of some other type of light. Generally around here, I find it unreliable for ID until about 25 min after legal light, and about 25 min before legal light ends, but of course that again depends on background, snow, etc.

Bottom line is if you can't ID it properly, regardless of whether it's legal shooting light or not, you shouldn't be pulling the trigger...if you can ID it unaided and you are within legal light, giver.

AT&T
12-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Ya I wasnt suggesting changing the regs. I liked what you said ARC about snow on the ground a big moon. Dont know how many times I have seen that. Most guys are headed back to the truck when this happens.

Gateholio
12-17-2010, 09:44 AM
An hour before and an hour after works fine for me. What exactly did you want the feedback on?

savagecanuck
12-17-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm sure for some guys legal light also means what they can see in the headlites of there truck.Usually if I can not see color[green trees] its not shootable lite

Brett
12-17-2010, 10:52 AM
9.71 posts per day!!! holy S#$@!!!!!

You don't need to worry about it you'll be at the computer:mrgreen:

elkdom
12-17-2010, 11:03 AM
the one hour before and one hour after rule for shooting/hunting is a poor way to decide on safety or reliable methods of identification of the Target! there are many variables to what exactly is safe, the clock is not rule of thumb to safe shooting time,

of coarse the people who write the hunting regs would like to think it is that simple, it is NOT!

elkdom
12-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Even in the best conditions, I find the first and last 15 minutes of light completely useless. Don't even consider trying to count points.
Snow on the ground does help a bit...but not good enough to make much of a difference.

SSS

if I applied your theory to my own elk hunting activities, then about 15 of the last 20 6x6 point bull Elk I have shot in the last 25 years would still be rambling around in the bush,,,,,,,,:?

BCBRAD
12-17-2010, 11:19 AM
I don't wear a watch unless at work. So legal light for me is the amount of light to clearly identify the target with out artificial means.

Shooter Jr.
12-17-2010, 11:33 AM
If It's technically shooting light but you need he aid of a light (not to mention that is pit lamping) it's to dark, I wouldn't shoot unless I can clearly see my target and can confirm a few things 1 - it's legal. 2 - it has nothing behind it or in the line of fire, and my backdrop... just cause you know your TARGET is legal doesn't mean it's safe to shoot.....

BCBRAD
12-17-2010, 12:20 PM
It goes back to the old sayin' f***ers get laid more often. You can never be absolutly sure what is behind your target, where the bullet will ricoche to, where you and by how far you will miss your target on occasion. You make every reasonable effort to do what Shooter Jr says,that goes with out saying, but don't over analysis the situation!

Ddog
12-17-2010, 12:34 PM
being a stand hunter, i always look at my watch and check the sunrise, sunset schedule in my area to know exactly what time i can shoot from and shoot until.
that being said, on a clear cold night with a snow background i can usually stay in my stand right to the time limit, same with the morning hunt.
if it is cloudy, drizzly , snowy i go until i can see my pins on my bow, or the sunrise sunset thing.

goatdancer
12-17-2010, 12:58 PM

"regardless of what the regs say" The regs state the law. There is no regardless.

Singleshotneeded
12-17-2010, 12:58 PM
One hour before and one hour after works for me...if I can see that it's a legal animal then I shoot it...if I'm a few minutes early I'll drink some coffee before I go dress it, lol!:-D

Hank Hunter
12-17-2010, 01:12 PM
"regardless of what the regs say" The regs state the law. There is no regardless.

X2 truly useless thread

Fisher-Dude
12-17-2010, 01:28 PM

Yeah, what the goat said.

It's pretty clear - if it's within 1 hour of sunrise/sunset, it's legal. But, if you use a light during the legal times, it becomes illegal. Case closed.

Tenacious Billy
12-17-2010, 02:25 PM

It doesn't have to be pitched black out to see "flames" come out the barrel............

moosinaround
12-17-2010, 02:40 PM
I look through my scope. If I can see the cross hairs when I look into the timber, I will be able to ID the critter and count points! So that is what I consider legal shooting light! So Get a Swarvo, or a Leica scope in 50+mm objective, and hunt away!! It is common sense folks, there is writing in the regs, cause there are folks out there that are shooting, that can't decide to tie their shoes of wipe their a$$es!! That section is for those folks! I do like to see the flame from the end of my rifle barrel too! Moosin

whitespringer
12-17-2010, 03:20 PM
I'm sure for some guys legal light also means what they can see in the headlites of there truck.Usually if I can not see color[green trees] its not shootable lite

If a critter has the misfortune of stumbling into my headlights during legal light and I can make an ID it is down.

sawmill
12-17-2010, 03:43 PM
I took a second,third and fourth look at a real big buck in "legal light"Good thing too,turned out to be a big Mulie on a white tail doe,he had a perfect 5 pt. whitie rack on the side facing me.An hour before sunrise is too early to see clearly around here.Same as sunset.
I like to be there though.

Sitkaspruce
12-17-2010, 04:11 PM
9.71 posts per day!!! holy S#$@!!!!!

You don't need to worry about it you'll be at the computer:mrgreen:

I agree, not even here a month and already a senior member:eek:....and all these questions....:wink: Must be bored.:-D

Not sure what you are looking for here, but the regulations are fine with me....especially with my old eyes. As for flame out the barrel, go shoot a black powder shotgun at the range in the twilight and see all the flame you want.....

Cheers

SS

Whisky Creek
12-17-2010, 04:19 PM
I'd like to nominate AT&T for some sort of award for "the highest number of completely random threads created"......

"legal light and hunting", "are deer lures over rated", "hunting partner issues", "Make a wish foundation - fishing and hunting", "hunting mistake - be honest or walk away", "meat grinders - any info", "something to think about - just be quiet", ".223 vs 22-250", "hunting monocular", "livestock protection"............. a total of 21 equally random threads started and 202 posts in 23 days?????? He's trying to catch up and take you down Gatehouse! :)

Wow, a guy with a lot of questions..... Just get the internet did we? Cripes, I thought I was bored lately? :)

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone.

CLINT

northernhunter
12-17-2010, 05:18 PM
All those threads almost sounds like a c.o. on a fishing trip?

mcrae
12-17-2010, 06:20 PM
I'd like to nominate AT&T for some sort of award for "the highest number of completely random threads created"......

"legal light and hunting", "are deer lures over rated", "hunting partner issues", "Make a wish foundation - fishing and hunting", "hunting mistake - be honest or walk away", "meat grinders - any info", "something to think about - just be quiet", ".223 vs 22-250", "hunting monocular", "livestock protection"............. a total of 21 equally random threads started and 202 posts in 23 days?????? He's trying to catch up and take you down Gatehouse! :)

Wow, a guy with a lot of questions..... Just get the internet did we? Cripes, I thought I was bored lately? :)

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone.

CLINT

I was thinking the same thing I just didn't say it:-D

NitwiT
12-17-2010, 06:42 PM
I dont really understand the "regardless of what the regs says" part. Kind of implys that you do what you want in the dark. I mean, if your shooting an animal, are you waiting till its dark enough that you can see a muzzle blast regar... you know what, forget it, this thread is stupid...

BromBones
12-17-2010, 06:53 PM
All those threads almost sounds like a c.o. on a fishing trip?

That's what I thought as well. A stack of random threads discussing borderline law breaking.... hmmmm....

digger dogger
12-17-2010, 06:59 PM
I was thinking it was Dougster with all these questions!!!

Fisher-Dude
12-17-2010, 07:03 PM
If a critter has the misfortune of stumbling into my headlights during legal light and I can make an ID it is down.

Hunting, trapping and firearm prohibitions

26 (1) A person commits an offence if the person hunts, takes, traps, wounds or kills wildlife

(e) by the use or with the aid of a light or illuminating device,

slowkey
12-17-2010, 07:16 PM

26 (1) A person commits an offence if the person hunts, takes, traps, wounds or kills wildlife

This discussion came up within the group I hunt with. Of course this cause some debate. Eventually one of our group called the local CO's office and was told the following -
If you see an animal in your headlights and you can identify it as legal and it is still with in legal light you can shoot it.

Sorry I don't know which CO he talked to but I don't feel my friend would fib as he is much more of a stickler of the rules than I am

Fisher-Dude
12-17-2010, 07:38 PM
This discussion came up within the group I hunt with. Of course this cause some debate. Eventually one of our group called the local CO's office and was told the following -
If you see an animal in your headlights and you can identify it as legal and it is still with in legal light you can shoot it.

Sorry I don't know which CO he talked to but I don't feel my friend would fib as he is much more of a stickler of the rules than I am

I had the "fun" of watching a tape at the CO office of a sting operation they did with guys shooting deer decoys in the headlights.

I'd suggest that S 26 is pretty clear on that point.

slowkey
12-17-2010, 07:45 PM
I had the "fun" of watching a tape at the CO office of a sting operation they did with guys shooting deer decoys in the headlights.

I'd suggest that S 26 is pretty clear on that point.

yes but was that sting after legal light?

Iltasyuko
12-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Is finding a legal animal seriously that difficult that so many have to wrench their brain trying to find any angle possible to put something on the ground?? Take the effort put into dreaming up half assed ways to bag more than allowed / take an animal out of season / shoot before legal light / whatever and put it into hunting - maybe it wont be so hard to cut a tag...or are so many just that bad at hunting ... maybe I just answered my own question. I guess whatever it takes to make ya feel good and improve self worth - fly at er.

northernhunter
12-17-2010, 09:47 PM
I think alot of these threads getting posted lately are just looking for someone to implicate themselves, perhaps we should just not reply to stupid ones like this anymore

knighthunter
12-17-2010, 10:05 PM
I think alot of these threads getting posted lately are just looking for someone to implicate themselves, perhaps we should just not reply to stupid ones like this anymore

I've noticed for a few days now that AT&T's posts seem to get alot of member's into a pi**ing match with each other. Everyone of them since he started posting goes this way.

f350ps
12-17-2010, 10:25 PM
I've noticed for a few days now that AT&T's posts seem to get alot of member's into a pi**ing match with each other. Everyone of them since he started posting goes this way.
I'vve been thinking the same, not only that but he's on target to break the record for most posts in a year, gonna break Jelvis/Dana's record. K

Tenacious Billy
12-18-2010, 01:00 AM

If an animal has the unfortunate fate of wandering into someone's headlights during the time of "legal light" and is subsequently shot....who's to say that the hunter in question was aided by said headlights? Assuming you're shooting during a time period that falls no more than an hour before sunrise and no more than an hour after sunset, the fact that a person's headlights are on seems somewhat arbitrary.........

Shooter
12-18-2010, 01:15 AM
Ok so lets say you are driving in to an area and it is 5 minutes into shooting light. Still as dark as it was 2 hours ago.... as you round the corner up the hill you see eyes in the headlights. You stop and aim the lights up the hill and see a very nice buck standing there. Remember it is 5 minutes into legal light, would you crack him?

slowkey
12-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Ok so lets say you are driving in to an area and it is 5 minutes into shooting light. Still as dark as it was 2 hours ago.... as you round the corner up the hill you see eyes in the headlights. You stop and aim the lights up the hill and see a very nice buck standing there. Remember it is 5 minutes into legal light, would you crack him?

well how could I aim my head lights? anyways as I've been told that this is legal and I could properly identify my target then yes I would shoot. As we all know hunting is just about being at the right place at the right time

sawmill
12-18-2010, 04:32 AM

That pretty much sums it up right there.

hunter1947
12-18-2010, 04:53 AM
I asked the CO this question one time and he said that you would no when its to dark to shoot at an animal its common sense..

Shooter
12-18-2010, 10:06 AM
well how could I aim my head lights?

:-?

Simple physics. Point the front of your truck in any given direction and the headlights will follow. Same if you ever have a head lamp on. Point your head where you want to see.......

Shooter
12-18-2010, 10:12 AM
I have seen 100's of bucks in the morning while it is dark driving in to hunting grounds. Mostly within "legal" shooting time tho, and I have never once stepped out of the truck or contemplated shooting one.

I really like what H47 said. I like the fact that they finally have a law that is very lenient and allow some of us that actually have common sense make up our own mind and take responsibility for the safety of our own actions.

That being said. Within the hour window or not...... If I saw someone "scanning" a hillside with lights and then shooting a deer on said hillside, I would have to report that as a witnessed pit lamp incident. The CO could choose to do whatever they wanted to with the info I gave.

TIKA 300
12-18-2010, 10:25 AM
How about in the any buck season,dont need to count points,just need to know theres bone on its head ??? That pushes the limit a little further.
2 years ago in any buck season (region 3) there was failing light,pissing down rain,only shot was a head shot,but those are the quick dececions, #1 its a very tall 2pt, but its a head shot, #2 light is failing, #3 if i dont make a clean shot,there will be no blood to track in the morning.....
Felt better about walking away,than leaving a possible injured deer,that i could not track.

peashooter
12-18-2010, 10:37 AM
does it not say that the responsibility falls on the hunter to make the call if its light enough. (without lights). its not just the clock, its the terrain and location that also determines legal shooting light. most of the places i go its way too dark an hour before and after.

Manglinmike
12-18-2010, 10:43 AM
I personally don't like to shoot until I can start to see the colors start showing, that being said I have also shot animals in the twilight and seen the big orange flash in the scope.This fall I was out with one of my sons and I spoted a young wt buck in the timber just a few yards in from the edge of an opening that we had just walked threw,the dumd little bugger was only 20 yds away and I drilled him in the neck and my son says to me "dad something went wrong with your gun,when you shot an orange fire came out of the barrel".We gutted that buck and dragged him about 175 yrds out to a road and still did not need a flashlight ,so seeing flames doesnt mean its to late to shoot.But thats just my opinion and I could be wrong I guess.

Fisher-Dude
12-18-2010, 12:07 PM
I saw flames last year when this tastey little morsel presented a shot. That was 7:22 am on a grey, snowy day. (Check out the original thread (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42768&highlight=cranker)for the posted time :mrgreen: ). Here are the sunrise/sunset times for that day:

Nov 25, 2009 7:26 AM 4:03 PM

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/HPIM0924.jpg

Flames in your scope often depend on whether it's a bright, clear morning or a grey, overcast morning.

Old Crow
12-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Flames in your scope often depend on whether it's a bright, clear morning or a grey, overcast morning.

Now, was that the flames in front of the scope, or the Flamer behind it? :D

slowkey
12-18-2010, 06:02 PM
:-?

Simple physics. Point the front of your truck in any given direction and the headlights will follow. Same if you ever have a head lamp on. Point your head where you want to see.......

So if the deer was up the hill side I'd need to turn my truck and point it up hill. yeah ok. Your just trying to make it sound like I'm scanning the side hills with my head lights kind of tough when your driving on a FSR. And you guys talk about common sense

Shooter
12-18-2010, 06:34 PM
So if the deer was up the hill side I'd need to turn my truck and point it up hill. yeah ok. Your just trying to make it sound like I'm scanning the side hills with my head lights kind of tough when your driving on a FSR. And you guys talk about common sense

Wow... didn't realize it was such a hard concept to grab. If you tell me that your headlights have never panned across a clearing as you go around the corner at the crest of a hill, well then you sir, haven't spent much time in the woods when it is dark out. As I said I have seen eyes hundreds if not thousands of times. I have also at times stopped to get a better look at what the eyes are. I however have never had the desire to shoot what I have seen in my headlights even when I have seen bucks during "legal" light. I personally opt to wait for "daybreak" which as has been stated can vary greatly depending on conditions.

By your account you say that if someone sees a buck in their headlights on a side hill and it is within an hour before or after sunrise/sunset it would be legal to shoot it. I say that if you need your headlights to see it then it is too dark and by all accounts you are using the aid of a light to locate game and that is the reason I would report the action if I saw it.

And furthermore, my original statement was a scenario that was thrown out there for everyone to ponder and was not pointed at you at all, so to imply I am throwing you under the bus is ludicrous.

slowkey
12-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Wow... didn't realize it was such a hard concept to grab. If you tell me that your headlights have never panned across a clearing as you go around the corner at the crest of a hill, well then you sir, haven't spent much time in the woods when it is dark out. As I said I have seen eyes hundreds if not thousands of times. I have also at times stopped to get a better look at what the eyes are. I however have never had the desire to shoot what I have seen in my headlights even when I have seen bucks during "legal" light. I personally opt to wait for "daybreak" which as has been stated can vary greatly depending on conditions.

By your account you say that if someone sees a buck in their headlights on a side hill and it is within an hour before or after sunrise/sunset it would be legal to shoot it. I say that if you need your headlights to see it then it is too dark and by all accounts you are using the aid of a light to locate game and that is the reason I would report the action if I saw it.

And furthermore, my original statement was a scenario that was thrown out there for everyone to ponder and was not pointed at you at all, so to imply I am throwing you under the bus is ludicrous.

Ok sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes I have seen animals with headlights off the road when coming up to a corner. As I've said before because this has been confirmed as legal if it is with in legal light then I have no issue pulling the trigger.

Of course I'd never do this because I am never up early enough:-D

but in the evening I do keep aware of the time in-case something like this happened.