PDA

View Full Version : Another Bison Hunt

asurebet
12-16-2010, 09:25 PM
After months of planning and waiting the day had finally arrived, Buck (hbc),and also my (brother-in-law) Dan arrives it is Dec 3 at 8:30am. We head off for 100mile house to pick up our other partner Kevin, we finally arrive at the Pink Mountain Motor Inn at 4:30am very excited but tired. After a 4 hour sleep we head downstairs to the restaurant to eat and meet Jamie, Who by the way is an awesome guy with great knowledge of the area and a very detailed map in the restaurant! We head off for Pink Mountain with alot of anticipation. Once we unloaded the quad and sled we head off for the halfway river trail around the ranch, very little snow with rocks surfacing everywhere. We end up going the wrong way but still in zone A, We find some tracks and fairly fresh dung but no Bison.
Day 2 we pay the access fee of 325.00 for the 3 of us and head off. We scout around trying to determine where are these Bison hiding, talking with other hunters and trying to get familiar with the valley. Day 3 Jamie from Pink Mountain Motor Inn sends us to the McQue flats where apparently all the Bison have moved onto, We get to the 41 km mark where you have to cross the river, Dan and I decide to stop there and return to Kevin who is 15 km back from us on the quad. Day 4 we head in early in the morning for McQue flats, we pass a couple hunters who are retrieving their bull ( thanks again Tim & Daryll ) we get to the 53 km point and decide that we should turn around. On our way back I notice some fresh dung piles and Danny says to me I think I seen something up the road on the right! He gets off the sled and I head up the hill and low and be hold there they are, a group of 8 or 9. I get off the sled and load the gun with a 300gr tsx for the 375 H&H. I find the Bison I decided on and aim, off with the safety, and fire! I harvested a mature cow weighing 500lbs. at the butchers. It was a very fun hunt but tough physically, those creatures weigh alot. After 2 days of retrieval we headed for home, An awesome 7 days. Can't wait for the next one. A special thanks to Danny, Kevin, Jamie, Tim, and Daryll for making this a great trip! memories forever.http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy170/mysako/038.jpg

M.Dean
12-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Another one bites the Dust! Congrats on a successful Hunt and excellent story to boot!

hunter1947
12-17-2010, 03:51 AM
Looking at your picture tells me your freezer will be full of one of the best game animal meat you can put on your table ,nice wright up and congrats on you getting your Bison http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

Mik
12-17-2010, 04:02 AM
Congrats on Bison. Should be great eatin'
Sounded like there was a way around the ranch, and im curious as to why you decided on paying a tresspass fee on your second day? did you have quads or only sleds?

asurebet
12-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Congrats on Bison. Should be great eatin'
Sounded like there was a way around the ranch, and im curious as to why you decided on paying a tresspass fee on your second day? did you have quads or only sleds?

The trail around the ranch had very little snow and it was kicking the sh*t out of the skimmer which was built tough and made out of 3/8 aluminum, crossing the creeks bent my tow bar eventually breaking. it.http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy170/mysako/vlcsnap-2010-12-17-09h50m54s143.png

Here is a picture of it this is hauling out 1/2 front and the hide, tough sledding with little snow easier in the end as we got about 6 inches.

cas-has-cars
12-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Wow nice picture of the hunt! Great story and When I seen how clean you dressed the bison my hats off to you. Well done! Where are you getting the hide tanned? I've been Quoted Between $500 and $950 just for the Cape.
Thanks again for the goggles.
Brian
cashascars

asurebet
12-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Brian, My brother-in-law Buck is taking the hide to get done, I believe he is taking it to Pacific tanners in Vancouver. Isn't cleaning up the Bison a ton of work? It took us over 2 hours to Gut and remove the hide, half of the time done in the dark working with headlamps!

cas-has-cars
12-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Pacific tanners was where I got the Quote.
I think its just the fact the animal is so big its hard to work with. We could not flip ours till we split the hind half and even then it was tough. Plus our knives could not stay sharp!! It was frustrating.!
Brian

Buck
12-17-2010, 12:19 PM
I used one knife to cape the entire hide a little Leatherman folding knife.It came with a skeletor multitool.It is a very good knife holds an edge really well.

d6dan
12-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Congrats on a successful Bison hunt..That cow should be pretty tasty. Sounds like there was a shortage of snow this fall?. Too bad, but at least you punched your tag. Congrats again..