PDA

View Full Version : 3-D catagories?

RoscoeP
12-16-2010, 08:55 PM
How is a 3-D shoot broken down in catagories. I can see compound bows being in a different group than traditional etc. But say is compound broken down for shorter bows or different sights etc. I tried to google up something but could not find anything. I would suppose a small club shoot would have less catagories than some big meet. Any comments or links to find official rules . Thanks

Bow Walker
12-17-2010, 06:44 PM
It normally depends onthe compound bow sights - are they single pin? Fixed? Moveable? Multiple pins? Usually all are in different categories.

Also, there can be different classes,divisons for finger shooters and release shooters.

RoscoeP
12-17-2010, 08:00 PM
It normally depends onthe compound bow sights - are they single pin? Fixed? Moveable? Multiple pins? Usually all are in different categories.

Also, there can be different classes,divisons for finger shooters and release shooters.

Thanks for that, knew I could count on you. Not that I am real serious about it but I think shooting a basic short hunting setup against a longer target bow with long stabilizers and target sights etc. would be hard.
I would still do it anyways just for the fun. Cheers:-D

Bow Walker
12-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Those longer-axle target bows with the stabilizers that are at least 24" (or longer) and the V-bars, and the single pin, movable scopes with their magnifying glass in them weigh in at around the same weight that a hunting rifle weighs - in or around 7 to 9 pounds when all is said and done. :eek:

Pretty to see and fun to shoot (I had one for a while) but they are a bit harder to shoot, IMHO, because that single pin can waver around in the 10 circle like someone's hand that is flagging down a taxi. :-D

The usual magnifying factor of the target scope is 4X, but some guys like a 6X lens in their setups. That little fiber optic dot can be very hard to hold anywhere near the 10X, especially if you skipped breakfast and just pounded back a large "double double" because you were a little late getting to the shoot! :wink:

Besides, the cost of a fully equipped target bow only starts where a fully equipped hunting bow ends. Those target sights are about $500 to $600 bucks each. Then you gotta put the scope part on the sight! The scope part runs around $400 to $500 for the good ones. So all in all you're looking at about $2,500 to $3,000 per bow! :eek:....and that pricing is from a few years ago, when I shot one of those things.

Shooting against those guys is fun. It's easy to do, too. You shoot in a group that includes a couple of them and you're competing directly with them. At the end of the day, go over to the score board and compare your score with the scores in the "Open Class" and see how you do. I know guys that shoot in the "Hunter Class" and yet can go head-to-head with those in the Open Class. All it takes is commitment and a ton of practice. Something that the "average" guy doesn't do or cannot afford the time to do.

That's part of the fun of 3D shoots - seeing all the different types of archery equipment that the shooters use. If "it's" on the market, chances are you'll see it at a 3D shoot somewhere.

oldtimer
12-18-2010, 12:34 PM
If you go to the BCAA website they will direct you to all the categories and maximum shooting distances for each category. They get their rules from the FCA
Mike